InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Repeating History ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]






Genre(s): Classic
Rating: A
Warnings: None
Word Count: 500



Nominated for Best Ficlet, Feudal Association, 3rd Quarter 2011  



~ Repeating History ~






Overlooking the prosperous village from his place on the hill, Inuyasha was not surprised when his brother appeared beside him, having sensed his approach. For a long time they stood together in silence. Inuyasha was surprised, however, when the daiyoukai broke that silence first.

“How do you do it, hanyou?” he asked, his tone conversational.

“Do what?”

“Remain emotionally attached to a creature you will outlive by centuries.”

Ears lowering, Inuyasha glanced towards the hut he shared with his wife and children.

“Thanks for rubbing it in, but if you really wanna know, I couldn’t stop loving Kagome even if I tried. I just gotta cherish the time I have with her and not think about the future.”

“Foolish.”

He shrugged.

“Perhaps, but knowing I would give a foolish answer, how foolish were you to ask the question?”

The daiyoukai said nothing, merely continuing to observe the humans at work.

He…really wants to understand…Inuyasha realized.

“It’s like…humans and their pets…” he continued then.

“You think of your wife as a pet?” Sesshoumaru asked, raising an eyebrow.

No…” He rolled his eyes. “But the way Kagome explained it, humans can love their little animals, even knowing from the start that they’ll outlive them, simply because they’ve got so much love to give. Humans need cute little things to love, and when their pet dies, they look back on their memories with joy. Even if they get another pet to fill the emptiness, it doesn’t mean they loved the first one any less.”

“Hn.”

Sighing, Inuyasha continued.

“I know you think it’s stupid, but I know from personal experience what my wife meant with that analogy. I loved Kikyou, and I love Kagome, and…and she’s already made me promise that if I fall in love again after her that I’ll grab onto it with both hands.”

“It is unlikely you will find another woman willing to overlook your impurities.”

He snorted.

“Yeah, well, if a human woman can overlook your flaws, I’m sure there’s hope for me.”

Eyes widening as the depth of his joke sank in, Inuyasha blurted “Holy shit! This isn’t about me ‘n’ Kagome at all!”

“Your shallow levels of cognizance never cease to amaze.”

“So what’s the deal? It’s obvious to the whole village that Rin loves you, but she hasn’t said anything because she thinks you don’t see her that way.”

“Hn.”

“Don’t Hn me. You came here asking questions about loving humans, why?”

“I seek…opinions.”

“From a hanyou?”

“Who is better suited?”

Eyes softening in understanding, Inuyasha glanced his brother’s way before staring back out over the village.

“Don’t repeat Father’s mistake.”

Sesshoumaru’s eyes widened in unconcealed surprise, not having expected that answer.

Looking the daiyoukai’s way, Inuyasha’s eyes were hard as he demanded, “Don’t you dare abandon her to raise your whelp alone.”

His own eyes softening, ever so slightly, Sesshoumaru replied with, “History shall not be repeated. After all, I have no pureblood son who would be unjustly cruel to his siblings.”

Inuyasha smiled.




Converting /tmp/php9JqoFN to /dev/stdout