InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Ordinary ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]






Genre(s): Drama, Romance
Rating: T
Warnings: Language
Word Count: 500






~ Ordinary ~






He couldn’t stand it any more.

He couldn’t wait one minute longer.

Naraku had been defeated months ago, and now, the completed jewel hung peacefully around Kagome’s neck. She had accepted her duty as Shikon miko surprisingly well, not lamenting over her plight as Kikyou had. It was her intention to purify the jewel out of existence, like her preincarnation had wanted, but using it to turn Inuyasha human was not an option, and so she’d just have to think of something else.

Inuyasha couldn’t agree more. The last thing he wanted to do with the jewel was use it to turn himself human.

Eyes following her every movement in the darkness, he followed from the cover of the trees as Kagome headed toward the well, offering her nightly prayers for her family’s happiness on the other side. Nobody knew why the well suddenly refused Kagome passage, especially being in possession of the completed jewel, but it was only the jewel’s presence that offered anyone the slightest guess. Perhaps it refused to be taken into the future? Perhaps there were greater dangers to having a bobble of such power in that era than Kagome had initially thought of. What if its presence awoke some great, sleeping demon somewhere?

So she prayed that her family was doing well without her, and that they understood she was fulfilling her destiny.

Rising to her feet, she was surprised to see Inuyasha standing behind her; she hadn’t heard his approach.

“Kagome…”

“Hello, Inuyasha.” she greeted warmly, though not as warmly as she used to.

“You’ve changed.” he observed, his tone neutral.

“Responsibility does that to a person.”

Yes…responsibility…to the jewel…Fuck that, he thought.

Suddenly he was in her face, eyeing the bobble around her neck hungrily.

“You shouldn’t burden yourself with such a thing, Kagome…I don’t like what you’ve become, having to guard this thing…” he purred, reaching up and cupping the jewel in his hand before she could think about keeping him away from it. This was Inuyasha, for crying out loud!

“What are you…”

“I know how to get rid of it for you.” he said, tugging until the chain snapped.

He’s lost his mind!

Kagome stared in horror as the jewel began corrupting him, stripes appearing on his cheeks, but before she could even think about drawing an arrow on him, he shook his head, yelling as though he heard voices.

“Shut up! I won’t let you warp my mind!”

“Inuyasha?”

His fangs were longer, his claws were longer, and jagged stripes adorned his cheeks, but when he opened his eyes, they were amber, and gazed her way with love.

“I wish for this stupid jewel to cease to exist!” he shouted, the bobble in his hand disappearing in a flash of light.

She approached him hesitantly, as the rest of his youkai features faded.

“Now you’re free to be an ordinary woman.” he told her simply.

Eyes widening as understanding dawned, Kagome threw herself into his arms, kissing him fiercely.