InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Bah Humbug ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]






Genre(s): General, Romance
Rating: A
Warnings: None
Word Count: 500






~ Bah Humbug ~






He didn’t understand, though he couldn’t say he didn’t care. Well, he could, but he would be lying.

Kagome had explained the holiday to him in great depth, though the meaning was completely lost on him. Honestly, he thought the whole thing sounded like a stupid waste of time. But when she had then told him how she needed a few extra days off because she needed to rehearse for a play her friends had talked her into joining, he hadn’t protested as much as she’d feared he would. He definitely thought it was a stupid waste of time, but seeing that twinkle in her eyes, he hadn’t had the heart to tell her no.

He was honestly surprised when she invited him to attend, especially considering what had happened the last time she’d participated in a school play. But Hojo would not be declaring his undying love for her during this theatre performance, and there were no rehydrated killer tomatoes to ruin the moment. Under the guise of reluctant compliance for the sake of her family, since the miko had gotten her brother and mother in on the begging for him to attend, he had been able to cave while saving face, not revealing just how curious he actually was.

The play was easier to follow than he’d thought it’d be.

Kagome was playing somebody called The Ghost of Christmas Past, and he listened to each of her lines intently as she explained to the leading actor the mistakes of his past deeds, showing him how he used to be and what he had done that had led him to where he was now. Inuyasha couldn’t believe the man had allowed his love for money to come between himself and his woman. The fool’s bitterness was nobody’s fault but his own. It wasn’t as if she had been wrongfully killed. But refusing to let his mind wander, Inuyasha continued to focus on the play. With Kagome’s part over, he surprised himself by still paying attention, following along as the man then met up with two more spirits. He laughed along with the audience when the old jiji startled everyone with his jolly attitude come Christmas morning.

The hanyou wasn’t as dense as most people thought he was. Did Kagome hope he would take the not-so-hidden message to heart?

Feh…I mean, bah humbug… he snickered in his mind.

Meeting up with the miko later, he earned a brilliant smile by congratulating her on her excellent performance. His exact words were, “You didn’t screw up. Nice job.”

Heading back to the Higurashi shrine, Inuyasha was only mildly surprised when Kagome invited him to stay, since the following day was Christmas Eve. He was invited for dinner that night, if he wanted.

“Feh, I still say it’s a waste of time.” he started, smirking when her posture drooped. “But if it’s important to you, that’s all that matters.” he added sincerely.

Her eyes sparkled. Those words were the best Christmas present ever.








Converting /tmp/phpobTX0d to /dev/stdout