InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ A moment of maturity ( Chapter 39 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]






Genre(s): General
Rating: T
Warnings: Mention of feminine bodily functions
Word Count: 500






~ A moment of maturity ~






Worrying her lip, Kagome discretely grabbed what she needed from her backpack before mumbling to Inuyasha that she'd be right back as she headed into the bushes. Grunting in acknowledgment, the hanyou turned his left ear in her direction while keeping his right focused on their surroundings as he rotated his catch over the fire, rabbit blood temporarily all he could smell.

They were alone. Having been near Sango's village she had decided, since Kagome had schoolwork anyway, that she should take the opportunity to work on Hiraikotsu. Miroku went with her so that she wouldn't be alone, and Shippou had gone too so that Sango wouldn't be along with Miroku. Inuyasha was taking Kagome back towards Kaede's when they had suddenly been approached by frantic villagers seeking help against youkai attacks. Inuyasha still remembered the hesitant, uncertain expression that had flashed in her eyes, like she was torn, before shaking it off and insisting that of course they would help. Going home wasn't more important than human lives, after all. So they had followed the villagers, arriving on scene to one hell of an extermination that had taken much longer than anticipated. It hadn't been just one youkai but several, that came and went, hiding in the woods. They had had to hunt them, staying in the village a few days, luring them into traps, until finally all youkai were dealt with.

 Now the real reason why Kagome had needed to go home was upon her, her body on schedule even if they weren't. How would Inuyasha react? She'd always managed to avoid this before by saying she had schoolwork to do. She was embarrassed, knowing how sensitive his nose was and that he would surely be able to smell it, but more than that she was worried over what his reaction was going to be. Would he freak out? Think she was hurt? Be embarrassed himself and avoid her?  

She had her answer fifteen minutes into dinner when the wind shifted and she watched as Inuyasha froze, his nose twitching frantically.

“Kagome? Are you...” he started in concern before his eyes widened in comprehension. That wasn't normal blood. “Uh...sorry, never mind.”

She exhaled in relief. At least she didn't have to explain it to him.

Duh ... she realized belatedly. Surely he'd smelt it on Sango by then. And how many months had he hung around Kikyou? Still...

“I'm sorry, too.” she offered quietly, to which he gave her a surprisingly understanding look.

He wasn't stupid. He'd realized months ago that she always went home to avoid this.

“It's okay...I understand. My mother...explained it.” he admitted with reddened cheeks. “I don't mind you going home for...that, but if you can't, like now...I ain't gonna flip. You don't have to go home each month if you were only worried 'bout me smellin' your blood. I can tell the difference.”

Embarrassment aside, she was touched he was being so mature about it.

“Thanks.”

“Keh.”




Converting /tmp/phpAeSb4A to /dev/stdout