InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Spoken in Silence ( Chapter 63 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Genre(s): General, Romance
Rating: A
Warnings: None
Word Count: 500


~ Spoken in Silence ~




When the attacking youkai's energy blast first hit Kagome, Inuyasha had been terrified, defeating the youkai in short order before rushing to her side.

She had tried to tell him she was okay, but her eyes widened in panic when she realized she couldn't talk. Her voice was gone, but it was more than that; she couldn't even whisper. It was as if a magic spell had rendered her mute.

Which was exactly what'd happened, Kaede later explained. That particular youkai mutes its victims, enabling nighttime stealth attacks as it traveled from house to house, no one able to scream and alert the others.

Finding out Kagome would be fine, because assuming the human wasn't eaten then the effect was temporary, Inuyasha had been relieved.

Belatedly realizing it also meant she temporarily couldn't osuwari him, Inuyasha had been...more amused than he should have been.

`````

“No going home and that's final!”

`````

“Make me another ramen!”

`````

*bonk*

“Inuyasha! That's my fish!”

He took a big bite, then with his mouth full stuck his tongue out at Shippou.

Sango leaned toward Miroku and with a stage whisper said, “He does know Kagome can and probably will subdue him once for each of these acts when she gets her voice back, right?”

But they needn't have worried that he'd take things too far.

Inuyasha's fun didn't last beyond that first night, once he realized it was actually getting a rise out of Kagome that he loved the most. Kaede had failed to mention that 'temporary' could be a few days, and by the second night he was already regretting his behavior.

After the others were asleep, he gently woke Kagome up and asked her to follow him outside. Apologizing to her, sincerely, she smiled, and nodded in a way that told him she forgave him.

Asking her then if she wanted to go home, he was surprised when she shook her head no.

“Why not?” he asked.

Stupid, she can't answer you.

But looking into her eyes, he understood.

“You don't want to worry your family by letting them know. If that blast had been more dangerous, you would be dead, and you try to shield them from how much danger you're really in.”

She nodded.

“I'm sorry I didn't protect you. Kami, if you had died...”

Reaching forward, she grabbed his hand, and forced him to look into her eyes again.

“I...I know you don't blame me, but I still can't help blaming myself.”

He laughed a little.

“Funny how I never want to listen to your words of reason, but now that you can't talk, I understand you perfectly.”

Blushing a little, she looked away, but when he gasped, automatically squeezing her hand, she looked back up into his eyes again, and her blue-gray depths said it all.

“I can't believe I never realized...” he started. “I…I love you, too.”

The eyes she was using to communicate with drifted closed as he leaned down to deliver a kiss that she happily returned.