InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by a moment... ❯ Soul Mates ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]


Genre(s): Romance
Rating: A
Warnings: None
Word Count: 500



~ Soul Mates ~



It was an ancient spell, not performed in centuries. Especially not between a youkai and a human, or a hanyou and human in this case. Inuyasha was a youkai as far as the ritual was concerned; his youki was more than powerful enough to form the bond.

Not that Kagome had wanted to let him do it, at first, when she'd learned what it actually was.

When he'd first nervously told his wife of the ancient soul binding spell that would, if done, literally make them soul mates for the rest of eternity, binding their very lives together, the future-born miko had been ecstatic. Who wouldn't want to live forever with their immortal husband? And it wasn't all selfish, of course, even though it would mean eventually getting to see her family again, because it was mostly about her desire to not leave him alone after her death. Yes, watching their friends grow old and die while she remained the same would be painful, but for Inuyasha it would be worth it, without question.

Until he told her what the soul bond really was.

It was a literal binding of souls and nothing more. The bond would not magically alter her body, making her age as he did. It would not grant her any youkai-like qualities whatsoever. She would still be mortal, just as easy to kill, just as slow healing, just as vulnerable to disease.

It hadn't taken Kagome long to realize, then, what he must've meant by the bond tying their lives together. Somehow she doubted she would just be haunting him after her eventual death.

He confirmed, then, the soul bond did not extend the life expectancy of the weaker of a mated pair, it decreased the lifespan of the stronger partner. It was no wonder, then, why the ritual was almost never performed between youkai and humans. What youkai, besides his own father, had ever loved a human woman enough to be willing to die for her?

But that was exactly what Inuyasha wanted, and not just because he didn't want to think about living for countless centuries without her, but because the bond would actually cause them to be reborn, instead of reincarnated, their memories of their previous lives intact, plus a spiritual pull guaranteeing they'd find each other again and again. In that way, he told her, she needn't worry that her death would also mean his own. Wherever she went, he would gladly follow, for the rest of time.

When he put it that way, how could she refuse?

It was many decades later when a still young Inuyasha died peacefully in his sleep beside his elderly wife, their bodies found by their adult quarter-youkai children who'd known this day was coming.

A simple prayer. "Safe journeys, you two."

`````````````````````````````````````````````
In a hospital in downtown Tokyo, two newborn infants in the maternity ward's nursery turned their heads to gaze at each other through the plexiglass. Blue-gray eyes met amber, and both babies smiled.