InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Hanging by A Moment ❯ Chapter 17 Recounting ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Hanging by A Moment
 
by Lor
 
Yes, I am finally updating happy now? Yea I'm a bum, admittedly. So sue me…wait don't I need to pay for college!!!!!
 
Remember to R&R!
 
' .... ' thoughts

" ..... " dialogue

~ ...... ~ fl
ashback or dream sequence
 
Chapter 17
 
Recounting
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
(Re-cap)
 
Sango, Kagome and Shippo jumped down from the tree house to see what was going on. “Cool! Miroku's gonna toss his cookies!” Shippo cried glee. Rin and Roru watched from seats on top of the monkey bars. “Typical guys getting off on each others suffering,” Rin said shaking her head as Roru nodded in agreement. Sess walked over to help the two down before he said, “Miroku I would appreciate it if you didn't `toss your cookies' in front of the rest of us.”
 
As the tire swing slowed to a stop Miroku gasped for air, returning his cheeks to their normal color as Yash went to put his arm around Kagome's slender waist. “I just love how much compassion you have towards me,” Miroku uttered glaring at Sess. “You're quite welcome.”
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
Weary from their immature escapades at the local park the group retired to hang out and order a few pizzas from the Higurashi basement. The group was in their usual positions. Rin and Sess cuddled up together on one end of the couch; while Shippo had a fort of blankets on the other end acting his part as the youngest member of the group. Yash and Kagome were cuddled/wrapped up together in the oversized recliner trying to have their own lil part of this world. Sango and Miroku were attempting to share the bean bag chair, but Sango was worried about Miroku's wandering hands. Where were Roru and Akio? They actually had gone to pick up the dozen pizzas Yash had insisted that they order.
 
“Watch those hands you!” Sango cried scooting away from Miroku. “I just wanted to scratch my nose!” he said holding his hands up in plain view. “Oh….”
“Just come off it Sango! He's calmed down with that so don't keep jumping down his throat,” Rin called raising her head up from Sess's shoulder. “Besides Sesshy's the one that tries it now anyway,” O.O' Everyone just stared at them, Yash looked frightened the most but still managed to shutter, “I SO did NOT need to know that Rin!!”
 
After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, it was Kagome that spoke. “So did anyone see that special on the History Channel on reincarnation? I thought it was really interesting.” For a moment nobody responded, “Wasn't it that on after the Jesus marathon?” Sango inquired shifting slightly to look at her friend. “Yeah, what did you think of it?” Miroku did a slight cough to clear his throat, “In my opinion reincarnation is not something that should be learned about from a
cable television program. It is something to inquire about to a knowledgeable friend.” Sango just looked at him wide eyed for a minute, “Don't ever talk like that again when I'm around. It's just plain creepy to hear you talk like you actually know something.” Miroku simply shrugged, “You're just not used to me being intelligent.” “ANYWAY” Kagome practically yelled to get back the floor from Mr. Lecherous Turned Intelligent.
 
:So then what was your point of bringing this up?” Rin asked assisting her friend Kagome shifted a lil bit in Yash's lap. “It shorta…relates to the vision, at least that's what I think it was, that I had. It was…in a word, strange. I went from being here to not…like I had traveled through time because the air just smelled cleaner, the trees were a lot younger.” She paused to look up at Yash, “Before I found myself there the last thing I remember was calling out your name.” Yash hugged her close, which prodded her along to tell her story. “I ended up meeting someone…” her voice wavered as if she was nervous about something. “He said his name was Inuyasha. He looked so much like my Yashy. Same features and everything, only he wore a red haori and matching hakama. Their personalities were even similar. He was just as rude.” “I'm not rude,” Yash interrupted. “No you're arrogant,” Sess responded. Kagome just gave him a single look and continued with her story. “I ended up fainting from the shock, and woke up in a simple wooden hut, who knows how I even got there. Not knowing anything about the place or that guy, I just left. Trying to get back home but found…a village I guess is what it was. Tons, well not tons, dozens of people dressed in simpler versions of the traditional style. A few stopped and called `Priestess Kikyo is back'. It was just so unnerving.” Yash took in a sharp gasp at hearing the name of his dead old girlfriend. Sess, Miroku and Shippo watched him closely for what type of reaction he would have.
 
Before continuing, Kagome squeezed Yash's hand, “After a few had come up to me asking if I had defeated the demon that had destroyed a neighboring village, I took off trying to find the God Tree, just praying it would go to normal seeing something that I knew. But before I got there…” she paused. “A gigantic evil looking demon crossed my path. He didn't even look like a normal youkai or anything. Then before I knew it I was lying in a pool of blood… I was dying, there was a huge gash across my stomach pouring out blood from my pale body. After that the next thing I remember was seeing your face above me,” she touched Yash's cheek softly with her finger tips. “You just kept telling me it'd be ok.” Tears leaked from the corner of her eyes.
 
Just then the basement door opened. “So who wants pizza?” Akio called before seeing everyone's faces. “What'd we miss?” Roru asked.
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
After Kagome's strange vision was explained to Roru and Akio the group dug into the pizzas until only one slice of pepperoni remained. The girls settled back talking about their latest hair problems while the guys began to duke it out for the final pizza slice.
 
“When I tried to straighten my hair last week, I hadn't realized that Souta had turned on high when he had tried to make a grilled cheese sandwich with it! Not only did my hair get fried, but it got bits of cheese in it!” Kagome said her voice beginning in anger but ended with her laughing uncontrollably.
 
“It's mine suckas!” Miroku cried as he lunged forward, but missed due to Yash grabbing the box. Miroku went sliding across the table landing in a heap on the other side squashed against the couch edge. Yash laughed as he began to pick up the pizza, barely getting it off the bottom of the box, just to get knocked over by Shippo. “It's mine now!” The kitsune cried leaping up a wild happy grin on his face.
 
“I care to disagree,” Sess said as he took it and began putting it towards his waiting mouth, his eyes glittering with glee at winning, only to have someone get in the way to take a large bite. “Thanks Sesshy,” Rin mumbled her mouth full of the sought after food, causing the guys to groan while the girls laughed.
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
By the next day things seemed like they were all back to normal, only Roru had a sneaking suspicion that Kagome left something out of her story but chose to ignore it. It was something that her cousin apparently intended to keep to herself. Kagome and Yash had decided to leave the school grounds at lunch to get what they liked to refer to as “real food.”
 
“I was wondering something…” Kagome began to say as she looked out the passenger window of her hanyou's car. “Um?” “What are you planning on for after graduation? Like, are you planning on us still being together? Or are you going to go to college on the other side of the country and leave me behind?” she spat out in a single breath.
 
Yash's eyes nearly bugged out of his head and quickly pulled the car to a stop in the parking lot of a nearby park, “What has got you thinking like this, Kags?” he asked turning to face her. “Oh, just curiosity,” she responded as she got out of the car, and was closely followed by her guy as she lead the way towards the park's swings. “There's more to it than that,” Yash said wrapping his arms around her slim waist. “There's only like a month and a half left until we graduate and…well there's so much that I just don't know.”
 
Yash held her body closer to his, “Don't know about what, Kaggers?” “You, life, what's going to happen between us…that type of thing,” Kagome responded. Yash sat down on the grass, pulling her into his lap, “What would you like to know about me? Just ask away and I'll answer,” he said looking into her eyes. “Honest answers?” “Absolutely,” he replied with no hesitation. “Tell me about Kikyo.”
 
Yash didn't instantly respond. His expression had changed to one of thoughtfulness and sorrow as he looked over at the trees of the park. Kagome began to speak but was quieted by a simple gesture by Yash. “Kikyo…had been my girlfriend for a longtime…two years in fact when it happened…the incident that…anyway ironically it had been Sesshomaru that had first introduced us, she was the younger sister of someone in his lit class. Kikyo had a strong resemblance to you…but had none of your spirit. Quieter more reserved her eyes always looked as though she knew something everyone else didn't and that she feared it. Turned out that actually was true in a way.” Yash paused for a moment to organize his thoughts. “We began to grow apart, can't really explain why. It was as if she didn't want to be around anyone even. I'd try to get her to just hang out as we used to and she would come up with an excuse not to. But I couldn't bring myself to break up with her, it was that fear I'd see in her eyes that would stop me, I just wanted to somehow shield her from that fear. It was amazing just to talk her into going with us.”
 
Kagome placed a soft hand on his cheek, “You don't have to say anything more.”
 
Yash leaned against her hand, “This is actually helping a little bit, I haven't talked about this to anyone since it happened…We were heading to Tokyo to visit Sess…my parents, Kikyo and me…we had planned to go for a month or so, took nearly three weeks to get her to agree to go. I kept telling her it'd be a great way for us to be together, plus get to see a new place. So I suppose it was my fault. A truck in the opposite land lost control…” a lone tear slide down his cheek, “It hit our car head on, we were thrown from the car…my parents were killed instantly, I could just tell from looking over at them…and…and…Kikyo's neck had been snapped…while I got away with a broken arm and leg with only a few cuts.”
 
“Oh Yashy….” Kagome hugged him close, “I'm so sorry, I shouldn't eve have asked…” She nuzzled her cheek into his hair, “I'm so sorry.”
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
It was the last class of the day, and Yash and Kagome hadn't been seen since they went off campus for lunch. Miroku was lounging in the back of his chem. Class watching his lab partner mix chemicals that were supposed to emit a few sparks when combined. `Wonder what happened to those two…' he thought while his partner got her hand caught on fire, which he barely seemed to notice. `They're probably off trying to get some alone time,' he thought with a smile before jolting up to notice what had happened. “You should put that out you know,” he said reaching for the knob of the faucet. Before he could react she had kicked him in the groin for his sheik and grin. “Uhhh…what was that for,” he said with a groan slumping to the floor.
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
“Oi Miro!” Sango called running after him at the end of the school day. Miroku turned back in her direction only to get walked into by a short freshman kid, “HEY watch where you're going shrimp!” he scoffed pushing the kid away into the crowd. “What's up Sango?” “Roru's missing. Akio said he was going to meet her at his car right after class, but when he got there she wasn't. But there's a big dent in the side of his car parked by the curb.”
 
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
 
Remember to Review!