InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ In the shoes of a high school hanyou. ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I have returned with another new chapter. As usual, I don't own anything and thank you to my reviewer for spurring me on again. I feed off of positive feedback so it really meant a lot to me. Thank you again and this one goes out to AnimePrincess/Inulover.
................................................................. ....................
The next morning came slowly but peacfully. Kagome slept wonderfully, as did her counterpart, and she smiled at the sunlight streaming through the crack in the curtains. She glanced over her shoulder and saw the sweetest sight. Shiori clung to her brother who returned the embrace with zeal. He looked like he was protecting a precious treasure.
Kagome, on a whim, grabbed her cell phone from the bedside table and took a picture of them sleeping. It was a very sweet moment but something was definetly amiss. When she looked at the picture after she took it, she realized something that could get them into a lot of trouble. In the picture, instead of her image holding the little girl, it was Inuyasha. Their true selves were in the picture!
She began to panic a little but calmed herself down and tried to think rationally. If a picture of herself confirmed her suspicions, then she would worry. She snapped a quick picture of herself with the phone and sure enough, when she opened the image, it was her in oversized boys pajamas.
“Okay, let's not panic. I'm sure there is some explaination for this. Right, like theres an explaination why I'm in a boys body! This is bad. This is very bad!” She was trying to calm herslef down and keep from waking the other two but it didn't work so well. Shirori sat up and looked at her with sleep filled eyes.
“Onee-chan, whats wrong? You're breathing funny.” She stretched and crawled over to Kagome.
“I'm fine, Shiori. Just...here.” She handed her the phone and showed her the picture.
“Uh-oh. Onii-chan isn't going to like this, is he?” She looked at the picture, than at Kagome.
“No, he'll probably have a fit. But it will be okay as long as no one takes a picture of us. It's not like he's chased by paparazzi or anything.” She tried to lighten up the mood but Shiori still looked troubled.
“He said you were taking him to the banquet so I wouldn't be alone. They always take lots of pictures of Father and Sesshomaru for the society column in the paper. Since Inuyasha never goes, they'll want lots of pictures of him too. All anyone will see in the paper now will be my brother in a dress and you in a suit.”
“What about me in a dress?” Inuyasha woke up, pulling the little girl into his lap.
“Um, Inuyasha, you aren't gonna like this...” She showed him the picture on the phone.
“What am I looking at here?” He was still too sleepy to understand.
“In photographs, you can see who is who. This is Kagome. Your body doesn't show up, only hers does.” She explained, flipping to the picture of them together.
“Shit! We are so totally screwed then! If I go to that stupid banquet, those camera hounds will be all over us!” He flopped back on the bed with a heavy sigh.
“Watch your language, please.” Kagome corrected.
Inuyasha took a deep breath and Shiori placed a tiny pale hand over his mouth as he began going over every profane word he'd ever heard. He continued despite the little hand, incoherent mumbles could be heard in the vague form of words. After his tirade ended, he licked his sisters hand, making her snatch it back and wipe it on his nightshirt.
“Ew! Thats gross, Yasha!” She kicked at him and scooted closer to Kagome.
“Well thats what you get. So you're telling me if someone took a picture of us, they'd see what was going on?” He returned his attention to the subject at hand.
“Yeah. We gotta warn the others too before something happens.” Kagome took the phone back and called Sango.
“Wait, there are others? Who else was turned?” Shiori asked, looking at her brother.
“Yeah, Miroku and her friend Sango. Thats why they've been coming over so much.”
Kagome hung up the phone and rejoined the conversation as a quiet observer. The day was getting off to a bad start already and they hadn't even made it to first hour.
“Inuyasha, we have to go. School starts soon and you can't be late.” She went to the closet, grabbed his uniform and went to the bathroom to change while he finished talking to Shiori.
While she was away, he explained what he and Miroku were doing that night. He tried to give her as much detail as he possibly could but certain things were either fuzzy or he didn't quite like the idea of his little sister knowing. He left out the part about a girl staying the night in his best friends bedroom and hopefully, it was expendable information. Shiori made a mental note to ask her brothers friend personally for any details that had been left out.
“Onee-chan, what do you remember about the night you changed?” The little girl asked, turning to face the woman in her brothers body.
“Don't call her that! Just because she's in my body doesn't mean you should act like you're related!” Inuyasha growled, disliking the bond the two girls were developing already.
The girls only smiled at one another. Kagome was beginning to really enjoy being around Shiori. She was very sweet and it was funny watching her torment her brother. Inuyasha didn't seem to be enjoying himself as much. It kind of bothered her that he seemed so apposed to the idea that she and his sister could get along. Just a bit more proof that she really was one of his least favorite people.
“Well, if I remember correctly, I went to school that day and I was invited to that party at lunch but that wasn't too big a deal. Everything at school was pretty normal. When I got home, I did my chores like always, finished my homework, talked on one of my favorite chat sites to my best friend and-”
“Wait,” Shiori broke in. “Chat sites. As in on the computer?”
“Yeah, runt. What else do you think she meant?” Inuyasha teased, ruffling her already sleep tousled hair.
“Never mind that. Thats the one thing that seems to coincide in your stories. Inuyasha gets on the computer at the same time every night to talk to his friends. If you two happened to be in the same chat room at the same time, maybe somebody did a cyber spell on you.” She looked at her companions and, being met with looks of confusion, she made her way over to her brothers computer.
“It's not that uncommon or difficult to transfer a persons essence over the internet. Magic works through thought, emotion and on electrical waves that normally wouldn't be easily picked up by the physical realm. With the way technology has been lately, it's not too hard to imagine that computers can be used to tap into electromagnetic energies used to manipulate the soul and spirit energies.” She began typing and going through to find the site that Inuyasha had said he was on. When she pulled up the window, Kagome knealt down and looked closely at the screen.
“Hey, thats where I was the other night.”
“I thought so. This is where Inuyasha talks to Miroku and his other friends most of the time when they aren't hanging on the phone for hours. If you were there at the same time that night, maybe someone was watching you. If you do the same thing tonight, I can try and reverse the spell.” She closed the window and turned to face them with a smile.
“You know, for a little girl your age, you're very intelligent.” Kagome admonished, hugging her.
“Thank you. I spend a lot of time reading. I don't have many friends.” She said this simply, no sadness in her voice. Only simple neutrality that seemed out of place for such a little girl.
“Okay Runt. Thanks a bunch but we gotta go. Miss goody two-shoes here has never been late so we gotta get to school.” He kissed her on the forehead and grabbed his stuff.
Kagome looked at the child for a bit then gathered her things. As if in after thought, she ran back and hugged her before leaving officially.
................................................................. ...................
At school, Kagome sat through Inuyasha's second hour history class. She was still getting used to not really doing anything in class. Beside her sat Kikyo who was diligently doing all of their work and taking notes. Kagome never really pegged Kikyo for the intellectual type and she was correct, but she had to hand it to her; the girl was dedicated.
All through class, she had been steadily working on Inuyasha's homework as well as taking notes and being sure to write little reminders in his notes for the next quiz. In an odd way, it made her a bit sad. It was beginning to make sense why Inuyasha refused to hear anything negative about Kikyo. Looking past their rude, harsh exteriors, they had a true dedication for each other that was rare to see in people as young as them. Kagome had never had a boyfriend which used to be a pride point for her. She enjoyed being able to concentrate on her schoolwork without thoughts of which boy she thought was cute that week invading every inch of her conciousness.
Now, as she observed her enemy deligently working and occasionally glancing up at who she thought was her boyfriend with an expression that could only be identified as pure adoration, her heart ached. It wasn't as if there was anyone she had taken an interest in lately. It was simply that she wanted what they had. She wanted to have someone that she could look at like that.
“Inuyasha, are you listening to me?” Kikyo nudged her a few times.
“Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm paying attention...”
“No you aren't, silly. Whats on your mind, handsome?” She leaned on her shoulder and sighed.
“Uh, just thinking about how...pretty you look today.” Kagome tried to sound as convincing as possible when she said this, fighting the urge to either laugh or make a face at the girl now latched to her borowed arm.
“How sweet you are, Yasha. I hope your cold is gone today. I think we should study this afternoon.” The way she said the word “study” made Kagome's stomach flip. If she couldn't get out of this, it was going to be a very long evening...
“Uh, listen, Kikyo. I can't do anything tonight. I gave my sister my cold and she's really not feeling good. I have to stay and take care of her.”
“Don't be ridiculous. Just have her nursemaid do it. Why would they ask you to babysit?”
“Well, they didn't ask. I just haven't been spending much time with her and I thought maybe it would be nice to sit with her and make her feel better.” For a moment, it slipped her mind that in a mansion as big as Inuyasha had, there would be servants to tend to anything like that.
“Whats with this sudden worried brother act? If you just didn't want to see me tonight, then just tell me but don't make up such bad excuses. You could care less if anyone in your family was sick and you know it.” Kikyo was starting to get annoyed. Kagome could feel it in the way she was squeezing her arm to death.
“Alright. The truth is, uh...The truth is that I want to see you tonight but I have this thing that I have to go to for me kid sister. My dad says that I have to go or he's taking my car aand revoking my license for a month. It's really dumb and I'd get out of it if I could. Promise.” The lie seemed to work. Kikyo loosened her grip and replaced it with a loving kiss on the cheek.
“I understand. Go tonight and I'll come visit you tomorrow night. I'll use the service entrance since I won't be able to make it before midnight.” The bell to signal the end of class rang and the two walked out together, hands linked to Kagome utter dismay.
Once they reached the hall, Kikyo, thankfully, was swept away by her friends. Sango came up about then, putting a hand on her dear friends shoulder.
“You have lipstick on your cheek.” She pointed out, poking the print on her friends face.
“Don't remind me...” Kagome scrubbed at her face violently.
“Don't worry about it. You're doing fine and as long as she doesn't suspect anything, everything will be okay.”
“Thanks. Oh! Inuyasha's sister said that she may be able to switch us back. We just have to be doing exactly what we were doing the night that we were changed.”
“Exactly?! Uh, I don't know if you remember this but when I woke up the next morning, there was a naked girl in my bed!” Sango was careful to keep her voice low but it was difficult.
“Uh-oh. I forgot about that part. I guess the only way to be sure everything is right for the switch is to find out exactly what Miroku did with that girl and do exactly the same thing.” Kagome ducked a little, knowing her friends temper. Surprisingly, Sango kept her cool.
“As long as he didn't...you-know-what. *sigh* I guess I can try. Anything to get my body back.”
They made their way to the lunch room and took their seats with the rest of Inuyasha and Miroku's friends. Across the room, Inuyasha and Miroku sat quietly eating lunch and trying to maintain some simblance of a conversation with Ayame. Kouga was over there, flirting with who he thought was Kagome while Inuyasha tried his hardest not to just punch him. The girls found it funny watching Inuyasha's temper being tested. Kagome decided that even Inuyasha didn't deserve Kouga's torture. She excused herself under the guise of giving the others a good show.
“Hey, why don't you find some rock to crawl under, wolf breath?” She said, in her best Inuyasha imitation.
“Look, mutt. I'm a little busy here. Go play with your little fan club and leave us alone.” Kouga brushed her off, draping an arm around “Kagome”.
“I could but it's much more fun over here.” She tugged on a lock of her own hair, twisting it around a finger to annoy Kouga. (A/N: By her own hair, I mean the hair on her own body. It would look odd twirling Inuyasha's hair and making him look like a chick. Lol!)
“Get your filthy half-breed hands off my woman!” Kouga jumped up, preparing for a fight.
“I am not your woman!” Inuyasha shoved him backwards, letting a bit of his characteristic rage shine through.
“Kagome, baby, whats wrong?” Kouga asked, trying to calm the angry 'woman'.
“Thats just it! She- I mean 'I'- have never been your girlfriend, your woman, your baby, your nothing! Leave me alone!” He kept his language in check and did a pretty good job of acting like Kagome would have in the given situation.
“If this has something to do with the dog breath over here, I can take him.” He offered.
“Look, Kouga. She's not interested. Take a hike.” She hugged Inuyasha loosely, muttering to him to play along but to stay in character.
“For once, he's right. I'm just not interested, Kouga. Just get it throught your thick skull that I don't want to date you. Not now, not ever.” He tried to speak softly but a few growls slipped here and there.
Miroku, who was a bit more observant of the female species than just their anatomy, had been watching Ayame the whole time. She seemed distant and a bit sad each time one of these fights over Kagome started. Thats when an idea struck him. Hopefully, it would even get him a few brownie points with Sango.
“Kouga, if you want a date for the party so bad, why don't you open your eyes for once? I don't think we can make it any clearer that Kagome doesn't want to date you but that doesn't mean everyone here thinks the same way.” He hinted, glancing over at Ayame and winking.
“Wait, you like me, Sango? I never would have guessed.” Kouga went and sat beside “her”.
“No, you idiot! Not me! Ayame!” He slapped his forehead and pointed at the quiet girl in the corner. She looked up and blushed, feeling a bit exposed now.
“I know, we grew up together and all that stuff. No big.” He shrugged.
“Just because you grew up together doesn't mean that you know everything about each other. Things change, and so do feelings.”
“Aya, you wanna go to the party with me?” Kouga asked, taking a seat beside her.
“No. You're just asking me because you feel sorry for me now. Don't bother. Thanks Sango but I think I've lost my appetite.” Ayame left the table and walked out of the cafeteria.
Kagome was tempted to follow her, as was Sango but they stayed still. Miroku nudged Kouga, urging him to go after her. He finally took the hint and went to check on her.
Miroku looked down at the cell phone clipped to his side and smiled. Sango had sent him a text message reading: Nice job. There is hope for you yet.
He replyed: Thank you. Just helping a friend like some other pretty girl I know.
He glanced over at their table and chuckled at the faint pink that was spreading on her borrowed cheeks. Instead of a growl or angrily waved fist, Sango only smiled, mouthing thank you to him.
Kouga walked Ayame back to the cafeteria, her cheeks flushed pink and a dazed expression on her face.
“I take it you two patched things up?” Miroku asked, smirking behind the rim of his soda can.
Ayame smiled, reaching for the apple on her tray. Kouga handed it to her and went back to his own friends.
“Things change, right?” She shrugged, biting into the apple.
“Faster than I thought.” He smiled and finished up lunch.
Kagome hadn't returned to Inuyasha's table yet, having missed the quiet little table. Inuyasha just enjoyed the show. For as long as he had known him, Kouga had been after Kagome. He knew it wasn't going to be that easy to change his mind. But he had to commend his friend. Miroku was better at reading women than most would give him credit for.
He glanced at Kagome and nudged her discreetly. She nodded and sadly returned, trying to put on the cocky facade once more.
................................................................. ........................................................................... ....
That evening, they returned to their counterparts houses and prepared to try and reverse the spell. Sango had invited the same young woman from that night over, to her more than slight annoyance, and Miroku had called her several times, apologizing for the inconvienience. She forgave him, hearing the sincerity in the words but that didn't quite change the fact that in half an hour, she would be entertaining the company of one of the many sluts in their school.
Inuyasha wasn't in the most pleasant of moods either. He sat tapping a pencil on the trig book on the desk next to Kagome's out dated computer and sipping a soda he had snuck in to her room. Kagome set up the computer, with Shiori's help, and made sure everything was right. She was getting tired already, the late hours Inuyasha kept finally taking their toll. Shiori brought her a soda to help her perk up and it helped, but it also reminded her to tell Inuyasha not to bring soda into her room. He complained, of course and finished the drink quickly.
“Alright, now we just have to get you all signed in as each other and I'll be able to see whats going on in there.” Shiori said into the headset phone. She had put them all on conference cal so as not to disrupt the conversation online. Her laptop sat in the center of a candle lit circle with her and all the other lights were extinguished.
The four teens attempted casual conversations as eachother. It was odd but kind of fun. Well, at least for the girls. They acted like the obnoxious, cocky idiots that they were playing as if it were a game to see who could be the most annoying. The boys weren't laughing though. They attempted to keep themselves in check by not cussing or making lewd comments. With a little urging by Shiori, they got back on task.
 
Topdog: U still going to Alexia's party?
Playboy: Wouldn't miss it 4 the world. How bout u?
Topdog: Can't. My little sister is going to her 1st banquet and I gotta be there.
Playboy: That sucks. Sorry to hear it. You'll be missing a lot.
Topdog: I know but what r ya gonna do? *shrug*
Playboy: Well, it's not like I can do anything anyway. That stupid bet, remember?
Topdog: Oh yeah. Sorry dude. lol!
Playboy: No ur not.
Topdog: Ur right, I'm not. Ha!
Playboy: Did I mention I hate you today?
Topdog: Not in the last couple of minutes
Playboy: I hate u
Topdog: Good to hear it.
Playboy: Oh, I got company. I'll catch ya tomorrow, k?
Topdog: Who is it?
Playboy: Wouldn't you like to know. *wink *
Topdog: lmao. Okay, have fun. I'm gonna sack out about now.
Playboy: K. Later
 
Elsewhere in the chat:
 
Purplehearts: So how do you think you did on your history test today?
Mini_miko: How should I know? I wasn't expecting a pop quiz. I probably failed.
Purplehearts: Don't say that. Look, we can tudy later and ask if you can have a re-take.
Mini_miko: I don't want to. It's a waste. When am I gonna use this stuff?
Purplehearts: You used to care about your studies. C'mon. It's not that bad.
Mini_miko: For you, maybe. (You're better at this than me!)
Purplehearts: Just let me help you and you'll ace it next time. (Because I took the time to notice her)
Mini_miko: Meh
Purplehearts: (Stay in character, will you? If this doesn't work, I'm blaming you)
Mini_miko: Alright. Thanks Sango. You're the best friend in the whole wide world. ^__^ <3
Purplehearts: Thanks. (over doing it... -_-;)
Mini_miko: Ugh, mom is telling me it's time for bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow, okay?
Purplehearts: Alright. Night, Kags.
Mini_miko: Goodnight.
 
After everyone was logged off, Miroku figured it would be a good idea to give Sango a heads up on a few things. He climbed into her bed, took out the cell phone and messaged her.
'Sango, b4 u do anything rash, ask her if she's feeling better. Trust me.' He typed.
Sango looked at the message a bit confused but she shrugged and put it in her pocket. Yuma sat on the bed, smiling up at her.
“So, uh, how are you feeling today? Feeling any better?” Sango sat down next to her, hoping to not say anything wrong.
“Oh! I'm much better now. It turns out we had nothing to worry about after all. He had a slight heart episode but things are fine now. I was really scared for a while though. With out you, Miro, I don't know what I would have done.” She leaned over and hugged her.
“No problem. Thats what I'm here for.” Sango smiled weakly, rubbing the girls back soothingly. 'What did he say to her? Please don't let me screw this up!' She thought to herself.
“You are one of the best friends in the world. I love you sooo much, Miro.”
Sango's brain shut off for a split second. 'Crap! What do I say?! I can't say that I love her too because I doubt thats what he would do but what would he do?! I'm dead and buried...'
At that point, the cell phone went off in her pocket. Yuma sat up and looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to check it.
“Just a second. Sorry.” She mumbled, pulling out the phone.
'Her Ji-han was sic. Just hold her and tell her you'll be there.' Was the text.
'What happenes when she says she loves you?'
'Tell her I love her too.' Sango felt a slight twinge of jealousy at that but she took it.
“Sorry about that. Inuyasha's being a baby.” She rolled her eyes, making the girl giggle.
Yuma climbed into her lap and curled up, snuggling into her neck.
“I love you, Miro.” She sighed, wrapping her arms around her waist.
“Love you too, Yu-yu.” She returned the hug but paused, searching her brain for any time that Miroku mentioned a nickname for her. It sort of came out of no where.
They sat there that way for quite a while, Sango hearing Yuma's breathing level out. She had fallen asleep! She carefully lifted her and placed her in the bed, glad that after the switch, the body kept the strength. She slid in beside her and pulled out the cell phone again.
'She is asleep.'
'I knw.' Was the simple reply.
'But I thought u did other...things'
'Not w/ yu-yu. She is a virgin.'
Sango looked over at the girl at her side then back at the phone. A serene smile crossed her face as she replyed.
'I underestimated you. Sorry.'
'Its ok. Sweet dreams, Sango.'
She got comfortable in the bed and dozed off, feeling comfortable and happy in the fact that Miroku wasn't the perv he pretended to be. He was a sweet, caring friend and a gentleman. She would definetly be apologizing for all those slaps she gave him.
Like wise, Miroku got comfortable in her bed, breathing deeply. The work her father had them do was not as hard today. It was just a matter of setting time limits. He had finished her chores and the ones that he forgot the day before and even had time to do her homework. The handwriting was far from perfect but it was close and the work was done well. Sango would be proud.
He glanced over at the picture on her nightstand and smiled. She looked so happy with her arms thrown over her brother's shoulders. They were on a picnic or something and her hair was in a high ponytail. She was wearing a skin tight suit with accents of plum and eggplant that matched her eyeshadow (A/N: Her body armor.). Her brother was similarly dressed, holding his weapon behind his back.
Miroku said a quick prayer and let himself relax. Sleep followed quickly after.
................................................................. ............
And thats the end of another chapter. I know it takes me a long time to update but thank you for suffering with me. Please R&R. Ja ne!