InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rin tipped her head to the side and contemplated Kagome's sleeping form. Lord Sesshomaru's reasons for doing many things were a mystery to her, but the situation with the miko had her thoroughly perplexed. Why had her Lordship taken her with them? And what about Inuyasha? Wouldn't he miss her?
"Rin!"
At Jaken's shout her shoulders tightened up around her ears in preparation for the scolding that was sure to follow.
"I seem to recall Lord Sesshomaru telling you to stay away from Inuyasha's human wench," the imp chided with a harsh glare. Moving with an air of self-righteous importance, he pushed past her and deposited a tray of assorted bandages and tea next to the futon the miko was sleeping on.
Feeling somewhat guilty for disobeying her lord, Rin hung her head and drew nervous circles with her big toe atop the wooden floor. "Yes, well..."
Her words faltered as she tried to think of a way to explain herself. Casting a sideways glance at the miko, she found her resolve, "But she looked lonely, Master Jaken!"
Rolling his eyes heavenward, the imp quelled an inward sigh of defeat. Humans!
"That's no excuse for going against Lord Sesshomaru's orders! Now hurry up and get out of here you silly girl or I'll tell him of your disobedience."
"Yes, Master Jaken..."
Head hung low, Rin skulked to the door. At its threshold she paused just long enough to call a desperate plea of, "Please don't tell Lord Sesshomaru!" over her shoulder before departing in a flutter of checkered silk.
With the girl out of sight the rotund green demon set to work changing the blood soaked dressings on the miko's chest. He grumbled as he worked about the neediness and stupidity of humans. They were such ridiculous creatures, especially that girl. She would be the death of him, he was certain of it!
Jaken frowned as he studied the weeping laceration on the miko's chest. Even Tenseiga's power had not been enough to heal it completely.
Perhaps the wound was slow to mend because the weapon that'd made it was a purification arrow. If so, then Tenseiga's demonic powers were not enough to dispel the arrow's power completely. In any case, unless he found a way to stop the wound from bleeding his Lordship would be mighty displeased.
Can you believe Lord Sesshomaru has asked us to do this menial task? Jaken bemoaned as he tossed the old, blood-soaked dressings away with a sound of disgust.
Jaken! The once great leader of an entire army, reduced to changing the bandages of a human woman!
"Honestly! The nerve of Lord Sesshomaru! Who does he think he is ordering me around like this?"
The imp made the grave error of muttering this last comment aloud as his thoughts spilled unimpeded from his head. The feeling of another demonic presence within the room forced him to pause and he slowly turned towards the door. Glaring at him from the threshold was the Lord of the West himself, looking less than impressed.
"L-Lord S-Sesshomaru!" Jaken managed to stutter while mentally beating his head against the wall for his impudence. Tossing the bandages in his hands away, he moved quickly to prostrate himself at his Lord's feet.
Sesshomaru, for his part, said nothing, which was a very bad omen for the imp. With every measure of grace, the Lord of the West glided silently into the room and a moment later Jaken found himself having a very personal encounter with the wall on the opposite side of the hall. He peeled his face off the rough stone and fell back against the floor just in time to see the door snap shut behind him.
Mercifully alone but feeling irritated and inconvenienced, Sesshomaru watched the sleeping miko with cold eyes. His lips pressed together into a thin line as he noted the shallowness of her breaths and the laboured rise and fall of her chest. She was worse than the last time he'd seen her.
He lowered himself quietly to the floor and cast a glance toward the tray of bandages Jaken had left behind. Lacking the patience to tolerate the imp any more that day, he decided to dress the miko's wound himself. The hole left by the arrow's shaft was still angry and red. It contrasted grotesquely with the otherwise pale skin of her chest and he found its presence distinctly distasteful. For whatever reason, Tenseiga had failed to close the wound and this made him uneasy. Rin's injuries, grave as they were, had faded instantly so why hadn't hers?
Everything about Inuyasha's human wench challenged his logic. The first time they met he'd tried to destroy her only to have her emerge unharmed moments later. Naraku, too, had given her a mortal wound and yet somehow she'd continued to breathe. It had taken a miko's arrow to steal the life from her body and Tenseiga to give it back, yet even now nothing was certain.
Perhaps the purifying arrow that struck her has somehow hindered Tenseiga's power?
Sesshomaru pondered such a possibility as he tied the final knot on the bandages wrapped round her chest. The girl stirred from her dreamless sleep and he watched as she slowly opened her eyes and gazed up at him.
"Inuyasha?" she murmured while trying feebly to push her body upright.
Sesshomaru's brows drew together in a scowl. With a firm hand on her shoulder, he guided her back down to the futon. He held her there a moment, just long enough until she stopped struggling.
"Unless you want to bleed to death, remain still."
Kagome blinked away the haze of sleep that'd left her feeling groggy and disoriented. At first she hadn't been sure, but the bored intonation behind his voice confirmed it. Her mouth fell open in a tiny gasp as she gazed up at the demon, who was most definitely NOT Inuyasha, seated next to her.
"Sesshomaru? Where am-... What happened? Where's Inuyasha?"
He ignored her questions and held out a small clay cup filled with the tea Jaken had left behind. "Drink this," he commanded. "It will ease the pain."
Kagome's first thought was 'what pain?' but the moment she moved to sit upright she felt it pierce her chest from back to front. Wincing, she accepted the cup with trembling hands and took a tentative sip of the steaming liquid. The odd tasting brew burned her throat as it travelled down and lit a comforting fire in her stomach where it settled. Within seconds a calming sensation washed over her that made the pain in her chest fade to a dull ache and her limbs feel heavy.
Drinking what was left of the tea in one gulp, she handed the cup back to him with an appreciative nod.
"The pain is much better now, thank you. Please tell me - what happened to Inuyasha and the others?"
"Your companions are none of my concern."
Her stricken expression seemed to evoke no pity from him as the calmly stood and turned for the door.
"Nevertheless, they are alive," he added as an afterthought.
Kagome relaxed against her pillow and closed her eyes in visible relief. "Thank goodness!"
She breathed out a sigh and snuggled further beneath the blankets draped over her. Her body felt warm and coddled, like she'd just slipped into a warm bath. Sleep began to pull at her brain but she fought through the fog to ask him one last question.
"Sesshomaru... Why are you helping me?"
He didn't answer and after a moment the heavy weight of the drug-laced tea dragged her into unconsciousness.
Sesshomaru watched just long enough to be certain that the sedative had done its job before he departed. With any luck it would keep her from moving around long enough for her body to heal itself. If she was unfortunate enough to die a second time, Tenseiga would not be able to revive her. Pity.
oOo
Three Hundred Years Earlier...
Sesshomaru sat in an over sized arm chair next to the warmth of a steady fire. The golden light of the flames danced in the amber of his eyes, turning them the colour of brandy. He blinked, bringing himself back from his thoughts and looked up expectantly as the door to his private room opened. A timid young maiden quietly let herself in and shut the door soundlessly behind her. He beckoned her to come closer with a flip of his hand and she did so, obeying him with a graceful bow.
He stood once she was at his side and took her small human hands in his own.
"Minako," he breathed her name while looking her up and down, searching for signs of mistreatment or injury. Thankfully there were none. The violent rage he'd been keeping under thin control was subdued, if only slightly.
Minako's eyes were already glistening with tears when they met his. Letting out a quiet sob of relief, she threw herself into his arms. He held her tight, bending his head so he could breathe in her scent once more. It'd been far too long since her comforting presence had graced the palace halls; unforgivably long.
"Sesshomaru, I have missed you so much I thought my heart would burst," she bemoaned through her tears.
He dipped his head to her waiting lips and kissed her tenderly to silence her worries. She was such a delicate creature, so entirely dependent upon him for protection. His heart warmed in her presence, melting away what was left of the anger that'd been festering inside of him. She was in his arms once more and all was well and right in the world.
Wearing a playful smile, Minako stepped back from their kiss and traced her hands down the opening of his kimono. He shivered at the cool touch of her fingertips against his heated flesh. He knew what she was planning, but he had to be sure she was ready to accept the consequences. Taking up her hands, he held them gently between his own and waited for her eyes to meet his.
"I need you to know something," he began softly. She nodded and her warm brown eyes filled with adoration as she gazed up at him.
"I love you."
He paused to allow time for that confession to sink in, for the both of them. His affection for her had always been implied - in every touch, every caress and word, but not once spoken aloud until that moment. He smiled inwardly, with both happiness and relief, when her cheeks flushed in a delicate blush.
After pulling in a breath to steel his resolve, he continued, "Because of that, I can't let this continue while leaving you ignorant of what you're getting in to. Love, if we mate tonight it is very likely you will end up with child."
Sesshomaru coughed nervously and looked away, only chancing a brief look to gauge her reaction. This delicate, petite human creature was the only mate he wanted for the rest of his natural life. The fear he felt at the thought that she might reject him, or the idea of bearing his child, was nearly overwhelming. He couldn't live without her. These past few weeks had made that tortuously apparent.
Minako's face screwed up into a puzzled expression and her eyes dropped to the floor as she thought his words over. Sesshomaru watched her expression fade from one extreme to the other. Surprise, confusion, determination, happiness… He loved how she was an open book for him to read. He could always tell exactly what she was thinking, just by watching the lines of her face.
Her next question caught him off guard. "Since I am human and you are a demon, will that make our children half human and half demon?"
He hesitated, then nodded tentatively. Truthfully he had no idea. Mating between humans and demons was practically unheard of, and only rumoured to happen here and there. Those who stooped low enough to mate with a human often found themselves friendless and homeless within a short time, while others met more tragic ends.
For the first time in his life he didn't care about the consequences. He'd lived two hundred years and never met a woman who made him feel in the way that she did. She'd changed him for the better and he would be damned if he was going to lose her simply because she wasn't a demon.
He was surprised when she stepped up on her tip toes and wrapped her arms around his hard body, hugging him tight.
"Sesshomaru, my love, I can think of no greater honour than to become the mother of your children."
His shoulders visibly fell as he let out the breath he'd been holding. It felt as if a great weight had suddenly been lifted from his shoulders and he wanted to laugh out loud with relief, something he almost never did. Instead, he looked down into her soft brown eyes and saw future there.
"Any child of ours will be perfect, no matter what they are," she determined with conviction.
He smiled as he took her by the hand and led her to the bed. Letting out a playful growl, he suddenly picked her up in his arms and tossed her gently on top of the sheets. They soon found themselves in each others' arms, finally reunited after so many weeks kept apart. Eager and impatient, they quickly set about exploring the unfamiliar contours of their bodies.
Sesshomaru took his time memorizing her every curve and feature. From the softness of her skin, to the firm pressure of her fingers digging into the muscles of his back, and even the dark hair that hung long and loose around her tiny frame - he loved every bit of her. He found the tiny mewls of pleasure he was able to extract from her throat most enjoyable as well.
Like a man long starved he devoured her, losing himself to the hypnotic rhythm of their love making. Bringing them both to orgasm only once hardly seemed enough. Their night of passion lasted well into the early hours of the morning and he poured himself into her over and over again.
Finally spent, they lay next to one another in contended silence. Minako nestled her body into the crook of his arm and laid her hand against his chest. Her fingers travelled lightly over his skin, leaving trails of fire in their wake.
"Sesshomaru?" she asked softly.
When he 'hmmm'ed a response she continued.
"Do demons mate for life? Or...do they have many mates?"
He smiled inwardly at the self conscious way her fingers tapped against his chest. He drifted his fingers along the smooth curve of her spine and brought his hand to rest gently against the back of her head. After planting a kiss against her forehead, he combed his fingers though her hair in languid, graceful strokes.
"Some demons mate for life, others do not. Each situation is different. Rest assured, my love, I see myself as the former. I would gladly live out the rest of my days with you at my side."
The girl's broad smile lit up her face and she snuggled closer to him. He tightened his arms around her and before long they fell into a blissful slumber.
oOo
Sesshomaru could hear nothing but screams after that. There was darkness all around and cries of pain. Someone was calling out to him, a woman, but he couldn't reach her. He couldn't find her in the dark. He called out to her again and again but received no answer. By the time he found his way through the maze of hallways and rooms it was too late.
Attendants walked by him with their heads lowered. A physician finally emerged holding a small bundle of cloth. He placed it in his outstretched hands and shook his head. The dog demon looked down and his amber eyes opened wide with shock. A perfect child had been placed into his arms. Suddenly it all came back to him and he looked around frantic.
"Where is she? What has happened to Minako!" he demanded.
Whispers surrounded him and the sound of sobs echoed in his ears. Were they his own? He couldn't tell for certain.
The back-handed comments snaked around him too, like a viscous viper, toying with him as he twisted and turned every which way to find the culprits.
"She would have been a beautiful girl," one said with disappointment.
"Serves them right for mating with one another. A human and a demon? It's disgusting!" exclaimed another with revulsion. Sesshomaru grit his teeth and brought out his claws.
"And to think…he lost them both! What a pity."
Hearing those words he paused and looked down again at the bundle in his arms. Using the edge of his knuckle he traced a line along the baby soft skin of the newborn's cheek. She looked the spitting image of her mother, with dark hair and full pink lips. His breath caught in his throat when he realized the child wasn't breathing. He stared at the floor in disbelief.
No... It's not possible...
Seeing a bed illuminated in the distance he ran towards it. With every fibre of his being he knew what he would find there. Minako... His love... His mate. He collapsed to his knees at her side and took her hand in his own. The flesh was cold and he dropped it back against the sheets as if it had burned him. With his face contorted in grief he looked down at the face of the woman he'd promised to love forever.
"There will never be another," he swore aloud with pain and bitterness in his voice. "I swear to you, I will never take another."
He laid the baby in her arms and walked a few steps before his legs gave out and he collapsed to his knees on the floor. He punched his fist into the wood, again and again, until blood ran from his knuckles. He felt no pain, only anger and regret. This was his fault. He hadn't gotten to her in time. While he'd been out building up his empire and his army, his mate and child had died alone in this room. He'd failed them both.
Anger slowly seeped into his heart, replacing the grief. It was so much easier to be angry. He'd gone through hell and back to be with her and for what? All of the pain and ridicule, the ostracization - was it all for nothing? He stood and walked over to the bed for one last good bye. Bending down, he braced his hands on either side of the bed and placed a tender kiss against his mate's cold lips.
When he opened his eyes he drew in a startled breath and staggered backwards. The miko's face, and not his mate's, was the one staring back at him from the bed.
"Sesshomaru?" she questioned, looking up at him puzzled.
He stumbled backwards until his back met the wall. Even then it wasn't far enough. He couldn't tear his eyes from hers as he stared at her in wide-eyed shock.
"Impossible!-," was all he managed before the image faded from his eyes.
oOo
Sesshomaru sat bolt upright in bed, breathing heavily. He looked down to find that his claws had shredded his sheets. A cold sweat covered his skin in a glistening sheen and he tried unsuccessfully to will his racing heart into calm. He hadn't dreamt of that fateful night in decades and now suddenly he was dreaming of her all over again.
Each night he dreamt of their courtship, the romantic nights they'd spent together and the pain of their forced separation. And each night his coup de grace was being forced to remember the crushing day he lost them both. After that day he'd sworn hatred against all humans, especially the women. He'd grown to despise their weakness and their mortality nearly as much as he regretted his own lapse in judgment.
Shaking his head, Sesshomaru glared out the window and judged from the dim light that it was nearly daybreak. Throwing the covers off his body he allowed the cool air to wash across his skin and erase the residual signs of his night sweat. Moving to stand in the window he looked out at the horizon and watched the sun rise over it, giving light to a new day.
It was time for him to decide what to do with the girl. He had to make a choice, and soon. He hadn't only been having dreams of Minako these past few nights. The Miko had haunted him as well. He 'tsk'ed in disgust as he remembered the dreams where he took her passionately in the gardens…against the wall…in his bed. Every night he had her a different way, over and over again, and each time she cried out his name it sent shivers up his spine.
Uttering a sound of disgust he tore himself away from the window and took up pacing across the floor. He'd known from the beginning what he needed to do but it was only now the he found his resolve. Jaw set in determination he snatched a fresh kimono from the wooden chest next to the window and dressed.
There was simply no helping it. He knew what he had to do.
----------------------
Author's Note: I really enjoyed writing this chapter so I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. I think it explains a lot about Sesshomaru's past and why he is the way he is. This is the only chapter where he is going to be a little out of character but I think it's fair given the circumstances. Thank you everyone for your support so far. Reviews are always welcome :)
Until next time...