InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The air inside Kaede's hut was suffocating. A sickening wave of humidity had settled over the town, drowning everyone and everything in its damp heat. There wasn't even a merciful breeze to stir the bamboo mat hanging over the door. Sango, Miroku and Shippo lay stretched out on the floor, each silently pondering the fate of their missing friends.
It was nearly three weeks since Inuyasha had left them. He'd been so determined to find a jewel shard and rescue Kagome that he hadn't even thought to bring them along. Instead, he'd run off on his own leaving them with no way to find him. They were beginning to wonder if they'd ever see him again. If something bad had happened to him, they'd have no way of knowing.
They tried not to think about it, but on days like this minds tended to wander to unpleasant things.
"Do you think Inuyasha will ever come back?" Shippo asked with a sniffle. He inconspicuously wiped the sweat beading on his forehead away with his sleeve and looked hopefully to the others for answers. The demon slayer and monk exchanged a worried glance.
"We don't know Shippo," Miroku conceded. "We can only hope that he will find his way back to us."
The fox kit's shoulders slumped and he let out a loud sigh. The hut remained silent for the next while. There was nothing left to say and they had already exhausted all means of trying to look for Inuyasha on their own. Even Kirara hadn't had any luck locating him despite three straight days of searching without rest.
It had been just as long since the group had last seen Kagome's face as well. It was impossible not to notice how her absence left a gaping hole in all of their lives. She was their rock - the one who kept their group together. Without her presence to act as glue, everything seemed to fall apart.
No one wanted to consider the possibility that she was gone for good. They had no way of knowing what Sesshomaru wanted with her, or even where to start looking for them. As frustrating as it was, they couldn't deny that Inuyasha and his jewel shard were their best and only shot of bringing her home safely.
It was Shippo who first sensed that something had changed in the air. Lifting his head, he tentatively sniffed and looked to Kirara. Her head was raised as well and her ears twitched as if listening to something outside.
"He's here," the monk confirmed solemnly. He stood up with the help of his staff and held his hand out to Sango. Shippo was the first out the door with Kirara close behind.
Inuyasha stood before the hut covered in blood and dirt. It was impossible to tell whether it was his own or belonged to the countless demons he'd slain in his quest to find a jewel shard. He looked weak and on the verge of collapse, as if the slightest wind might knock him over. It only took one quick glance for them all to see that he'd been successful in his quest. His right hand was clenched tight in a fist and from it emanated the unmistakable glow of a Shikon Jewel shard.
Inuyasha wavered unsteadily on his feet before falling to one knee. His human body wasn't used to the battery of challenges he'd put it through over the past few weeks. He'd refused to sleep and only ate when it was absolutely necessary. He was so hungry some nights that he dreamt of Kagome bringing him tub after tub of Ramen. Then he'd wake up in the morning only to discover that his wonderful feast had been a dream and his stomach was still gnawing for want of food.
It would've been easier just to quit and leave Kagome in Sesshomaru's hands, but his heart wouldn't let him do it. Regardless of how unsure he was about his feelings for her, he knew he cared for her more than anyone else in the world. She made his life light and happy. He could never deserve such happiness but he was selfish and couldn't bear to part with her just yet.
After how things had turned out with Kikyo, he was hesitant to admit he loved anyone. Admitting that would be like putting a large target on Kagome's back and inviting any demons with a grudge against him to try their aim. He cared for her too much to let that happen. Even though he knew his lack of decisiveness hurt her, he couldn't think of any other way to keep her safe.
He was prepared to do whatever it took to get her back from Sesshomaru, no matter what it cost him; the blood, the pain and the fear were all worth it if it meant that she would be at his side again.
He didn't know if he could go back to a life that didn't have Kagome in it. He'd been so lonely before her; he hadn't realized just how lonely until now. His greatest fear was being alone like that again. If he lost Kagome, Miroku, Shippo, Sango and Kirara, he would lose himself as well and what would be the point in going on after that?
Sango was the first to reach his side. She knelt down next him and grabbed hold of his shoulders so he wouldn't fall over.
"Inuyasha? Are you okay?" her voice was soft and soothing.
After the trials he'd put himself through, he was tempted to cry with relief just to hear the kind concern in her tone. He gathered his strength and tried to force his body to stand. His legs wobbled beneath him and he collapsed once more. This time he weakly punched the ground in frustration. His heart and mind were ready to use the jewel but his useless human body had other ideas. He would have to wait until it healed and grew strong before he could put his plan into action.
Miroku stepped up and with Sango's help they were able to lay him over Kirara's back. As the helpful feline walked him into the hut, Shippo was instructed to find Kaede in the village and tell her of Inuyasha's return. Glad for something to do, the fox demon ran off with a quick salute.
As soon as Inuyasha was laid out on the cot in the corner of Kaede's hut he drifted into a deep sleep.
"I don't think I've ever seen him sleep so soundly," Sango commented as she began to examine his various wounds, checking for anything serious. Miroku nodded in agreement.
"His body must be utterly exhausted. He forgets the limits of his own strength when he's like this. It's better this way though; his body will heal much faster if he sleeps."
The demon slayer and monk turned at the sound of Kaede's shuffling footsteps. She made her way over to them and stared stoically at the human Inuyasha. Eventually she shook her head went to her shelf to select herbs to brew into tea and poultices.
"That Inuyasha… Kagome will be the death of him if he isn't careful," she chided with a cluck of her tongue.
"I hardly think this is Kagome's fault," Miroku interjected.
"No, no of course it is not Kagome's fault. Inuyasha's heart is his own. I only meant that his devotion to her leaves little room for logical thinking," the old priestess explained with a pointed look at the former hanyou in question.
Miroku couldn't argue with her logic so he sat cross legged on the floor instead and watched Sango stoke the small cooking fire with fresh wood. Standing up, she brushed loose wood chips from her kimono and looked hesitantly at Inuyasha fist still glowing pink from the jewel.
"What should we do about the jewel shard Kaede? Do we leave it with him or-?"
It was the unspoken question resting on all of their minds. Each person in that hut knew, without a doubt, that Kagome never condone Inuyasha using a jewel shard to reawaken his demonic half. Jewel shards were unpredictable at best. There was no way of knowing how it would affect him. But without her there to speak those words of reason to him, they had no hope of convincing him to consider other alternatives.
Frowning in thought, Kaede shuffled closer and peered down at the pink glow surrounding Inuyasha's hand. His fist was still clenched tight around the shard, even though he slept like the dead. She nodded to herself before making her way back to her shelf of herbs.
"Leave him be, Sango. He worked hard for that jewel shard and it is his to keep should he wish to do so. Besides, if ye look closely ye will notice that the shard has been purified."
"What?!" Miroku cried out with disbelief and whipped his head around to see for himself. His mouth dropped open in shock as he realized the truth in Kaede's words. The shard had in fact been purified, but how? Was it possible that Inuyasha's wish to use it to save Kagome was enough to purify the jewel on its own?
Miroku rubbed his chin in thought and turned back to the fire. Inuyasha had just proven, to all of them, that they had much to learn about the hidden powers of the sacred jewel.
oOo
Sesshomaru moved with purpose through the empty halls of the palace. It was still early and the servants were not yet up. In the quiet his footsteps echoed with a haunting resonance. Though he knew where his feet led him and what he must do, a feeling of uncertainty nagged at his thoughts.
What will Rin think of you if you do this? You'll be no different than the beasts that butchered her, one voice reminded him.
It matters not what Rin thinks, he replied.
What of your lofty plans to use her to destroy Inuyasha and that filth, Naraku? Is your resolve so weak?, taunted another.
The voices were silenced as he came to a stop outside the miko's room and contemplated his next course of action.
Unlike his dirty-blooded half brother, he, Sesshomaru, was not weak. He was the Lord of the Western Lands. He was the 'Killing Perfection', by title and by right. When something dared stand in his way, it met a quick and ruthless end by his hand. Yet Inuyasha's mortal human wench called the very strength of that power into question.
How unfortunate for him that the miko was the one creature he could not kill. For all his efforts, her continued existence stood as testament to his impotence, his weakness, his fallibility. Tenseiga had already turned against him, forcing him to revive her in the final hour when her demise was nothing short of certain. How long would it be before his legions followed suit?
A leader is only as strong as his reputation.
His father's words intruded, unwelcome. The once great dog general was a thing of legend. Countless demons had blindly followed him and lain down their lives to support his cause. They'd respected him. They'd revered him. Filling his shoes was a burden Sesshomaru had suffered in silence his entire adult life.
His father would've allowed the miko to live. His father would have used her powers to his own advantage. His father wouldn't have ignored the attraction he felt to her human body.
I am not my father.
With that resounding thought steeling his resolve, he silently slid the door open and entered. It was a far easier thing to convince himself that killing her was a necessary means to an end than to admit the truth.
Standing beside her futon, Sesshomaru listened to her soft, rhythmic snores. This would be quick and neat. She would die without uttering a single cry and his afflicted thoughts would finally be at peace. In her absence there would be nothing left to remind him of his past, and life would return to normal. His thoughts would once again be his own.
He lifted his claws in preparation to strike her down and the glint of sunlight that reflected off their razor sharp edges caught his eye. He paused for the barest second, but it was long enough to look down at the sleeping figure he was prepared to flay. All that could be seen above the covers was a lock of dark hair draped across the pillow. If he didn't know better he'd almost think it belonged to another - someone far more familiar. Someone his heart...
"Minako."
He breathed the name so softly it was barely audible. Instead of raking through her flesh, his claws combed through the miko's hair. He watched the ebony strands slide across his skin and enjoyed the silky feel of them between his fingers. It wasn't until the girl stirred in her sleep and turned towards him that he pulled his hand away and remembered why he was there.
With hard eyes he watched her sleep and listened to the sound of his own teeth grinding in frustration. He stood there staring at her, his claws flexed and ready at his side, but they did not rise again to cut her down. Though he would vehemently try to deny it, as long as the miko reminded him of her, there would never be strength or conviction enough in his limbs to take her life.
The sudden irrational need he felt to remind himself that this girl did not in any way resemble Minako was nearly overwhelming. His body moved of its own accord, driven by instinct rather than logic. One moment he was standing next to her, motionless as a statue, and the next his hand was braced beside to the miko's head. He lowered himself until he was close enough to feel the warmth of her breath against his cheek.
Without hesitating, he closed his eyes and purposefully breathed her in. Scent was the one instinct he trusted above any other. Everything about the miko's essence was foreign; there was no denying that she was as different from Minako as night was to day. Any relief that revelation brought with it was temporary. The miko's scent, though strange and different, was not entirely offensive. In fact, were it not for the underlying stank of humanity, he might have even conceded it was... pleasant.
As if by reflex his mind returned to the visions from his dreams, visions where she was far from innocent. He could clearly remember the feel of her naked body wrapped around his and the throaty sound of her voice as she'd moaned his name. Against his will his body had grown hard and each night the fantasies had gotten worse - more graphic, more sensual.
When he opened his eyes he found her lips dangerously, temptingly, close to his own. Her breaths were slow and peaceful and escaped through the slight part between them to warm his skin. For just a moment, he allowed himself to pretend that this was no longer the guest room at his father's palace, but rather, his own private quarters, and the woman in front of him, locked away in a deep, sedative-laced sleep, was his long dead mate.
He'd started many mornings this way - rising with the dawn from the bed they shared, careful not to wake her, and offering a parting kiss before leaving to take on the day. It was a comforting memory, so very real in every way, and he selfishly allowed himself to indulge in it. The empty space beside her beckoned, calling out to the wounded part of him that desperately wanted to feel again. Centuries had passed since the last time he'd enjoyed the sensation of a woman's body warming his own. Rin had slept near him many times during their travels, but this was different. Rin was a child; the miko was undeniably a woman with soft flesh and rounded curves. His hand burned as he remembered the touch of those curves against his palm.
He was the most pathetic sort of creature. There was no other excuse for the reviling way he couldn't seem to stop himself from sliding to the floor and laying his head down next to hers. Indulgently, he slipped his arm around her waist and drew her body against his chest. She fit along the curve of his body like a perfectly crafted mould, as though she'd been fashioned for him and him alone. If he'd been bothered before by the ongoing struggle between his passionless logic and the passionate demands of his beast, he was positively tortured by it now.
He only intended to remain that way for a moment, just to remember what it was like, but the soothing rhythm of her breaths soon lulled him. His eyes slowly closed and he drifted off with the girl still sleeping unaware in his embrace.
oOo
Kagome awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside her window. Opening her eyes, she noticed that the sun had risen over the horizon and smiled at the warm shade of pink the dawn sky had turned. Her first thought was how rested she felt. She hadn't had a single decent night's sleep since arriving at Sesshomaru's palace but now she felt as happy as Buuyo lounging in the afternoon sun.
Careful of her injuries, she tentatively stretched her limbs one by one. Her drowsy calm was abruptly put to an end by the heart stopping realization that she wasn't alone. The heavy weight of an arm resting across her stomach made her breath stop short. Slowly turning her head, she stifled a shriek. On the pillow next to her lay Sesshomaru - asleep. After getting over her initial shock, she took a moment to study him. He looked so peaceful and unguarded she hardly recognized the cold, imposing demon lord she'd come to know.
Frowning in thought, she shimmied her body out from under his arm and tip toed to the window. The cool breeze drifting in was a welcome relief to her overheated skin and the flush covering her face and neck slowly faded. Her brows knit together as she tried to remember the previous night. She felt reasonably certain that nothing had happened between them, but waking up next to a demon was reason enough to make any girl pause.
Why is he here?
That was the hundred million yen question and she was at a loss for an answer. She turned away from the window and braced her hands against the sill. The demon in the bed hadn't stirred and she debated whether or not to wake him. Knowing him, if he woke up and found her there it wouldn't go over well. Sesshomaru was proud in he was anything and wouldn't look too kindly on the fact that she'd seen a weaker side of him.
Tapping her fingers against the sill, she looked longingly at the door. Perhaps if she was quiet enough she could escape down to the kitchen and avoid him altogether. With a cautious glance at the bed, she tip toed to the door as quietly as humanly possible. She sucked in a breath at the quiet 'shhh' the door made as it slid open. Every hair on her body was standing on end in nervous anticipation. She worried her lip between her teeth and silently prayed that he wouldn't wake up until she was long gone.
In an instant the door it was slammed shut again with a resounding 'SNAP!' giving a very definitive answer to her prayers. Kagome's heart raced in her chest as she looked up to see Sesshomaru towering over her with his hand braced against the door. He glared down at her menacingly and she shrank back. For the first time since she'd arrived, Kagome feared for her life.
"I-I'm sorry," she stammered, unsure of what else to say. The dog demon said nothing. He towered over her, his presence imposing and lethal. Kagome stirred nervously under his gaze, unable to shake the sensation that she was a hair away from death.
"You will tell no one of this," he demanded, his voice cold and uncompromising. His tone sent a shiver of fear jetting up her spine. She nodded dumbly knowing that to do anything less would be suicide.
A few long seconds later the door to her room crashed open and he disappeared through it before slamming it in her face. The room was disturbingly silent in his absence. Shaken, Kagome stared at the door and slowly let out the breath she'd been holding. It was a few minutes before she realized the strange clacking sound she could hear was the chattering of her teeth. In the aftermath her body was left violently trembling and it didn't show any signs of stopping.
-----------------
Author's Note: Please leave me a review...let me know what you think!