InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sesshomaru had a mate? A human mate?
The thought circulated through Kagome's mind for the hundredth time since lunch. For whatever reason, she simply couldn't get past it. In all the time she'd known him she'd never seen him express anything but contempt for humans. Humans were weak, humans were foolish, Inuyasha was an 'ignorant half breed' - that was the side of Sesshomaru she knew. Trying to reconcile that with some far-fetched notion of him as a doting husband and father seemed ridiculous.
Ridiculous though it may be, it didn't stop her from wondering about Minako. Exactly what kind of woman attracts the attention of a man like Sesshomaru? Was she beautiful? Intelligent? Sharp, or docile? It was impossible to know. Everything she knew about Sesshomaru before now she'd heard from Inuyasha, and he wasn't exactly the most unbiased of sources. The personal side of him that Rin and Jaken saw remained a complete mystery to her.
Eager to learn more, she made her way back to his private quarters armed with a half-hearted excuse about needing to change his bandages. It was only once she was standing outside the door that she remembered the murderous look he'd levelled at her the last time. Her hand lifted to her bruised throat and she took a small step back. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to disturb him. He was probably tired and besides, demons healed fast on their own, right?
Resolved to leave him to his business she made to leave but was stopped in her tracks by his voice calling to her from the other side of the door.
"If you are going to linger in the hall, Miko, you may as well enter."
Saying a quick prayer, she slowly slid the door open. He wasn't lounging in the bed like she'd expected him to be. He was standing in front of the far window with his chest bared to the cool breeze. He kept his gaze fixed on the horizon and made no acknowledgment of her presence. For someone who'd been half dead only a few hours earlier, he looked to be in remarkably good health.
She quietly deposited the bandages onto the nearest table and hazarded a step in his direction.
"You heal fast," she observed, her words hesitant. She wouldn't make the mistake of letting down her guard around him again. "Well, faster than Inuyasha anyway..."
"That is because Inuyasha is a half breed," he scoffed, turning toward her. "The demon blood that runs through his veins is diluted by his humanity."
She couldn't help but stare at the flawless, ivory smooth that stretched across his chest. The change was incredible. There was no mark, no blood, not even a scar left to serve as a reminder of what'd happened. It was as though he'd never been injured at all. Inuyasha's body healed itself too, but it always took a couple of days and left faint scars. This had taken a matter of hours!
"Well, you seem to be doing better..."
It was plainly obvious to both of them that he was perfectly fine, but she needed something to fill the silence. He gave her an impatient look and set about grabbing a fresh set of clothes to wear. He may have healed in record time, but it would still be impossible for him to get the bloodstains out of his pristine silk garments.
Feeling like an unwanted guest, she made a quiet retreat toward the door. She was in the middle of gathering up the bandages from the table when a sudden thought occurred to her. Turning slowly, she fixed him with a sincere look and said,
"I'm sorry... about your mate."
She expected him to ignore her, raise a condescending eyebrow, or do something else typical of Sesshomaru, but instead he paused a moment and nodded. The tension in the room lightened considerably, but she wasn't prepared to stick around to see how long the change lasted. She was nearly out the door by the time he spoke.
"You should return to the others," he said, his attention focused on the fresh silk kimono he'd just lain out for himself.
You should return to Inuyasha.
The implication behind his words was obvious, to both of them, and it seemed that that was exactly how he'd intended it. Wearing a small smile, she nodded in agreement and left him to his business.
oOo
Despite the sunny, cloudless sky, the air outside was chilly and hinted at the coming winter. The leaves on the forest trees had already begun to change colour and fall. Taking in a deep breath, Kagome let the smell of earthy decay tickle her nostrils. Autumn was definitely her favourite season.
Setting out on foot, she adjusted the travel pack on her back and mentally prepared herself for the long journey ahead. It would be at least a few days before she reached Kaede's village. She'd brought plenty of food and water, so as long as she didn't run into any wild animals or demons along the way she'd be perfectly fine.
It was almost nightfall before she decided to stop and rest for the night. Tossing her bag to the ground with a groan, she took a few minutes to stretch aching muscles in her back and shoulders. Even after years of darting back and forth between the modern era and the feudal era, she had yet to learn the fine art of packing light. It wasn't long before the sun dipped below the horizon and the night time freeze crept in. She managed to build a fire to keep herself warm during the night and crawled, shivering, into her sleeping bag. Sure it wasn't the most glamorous way to travel, but it felt kind of good to be independent for a change.
She was still preening her ego when noises disturbed the quiet of the forest surrounding her. It sounded like footsteps at first, very large footsteps. As it got closer she heard the sound of sticks cracking and tree branches shifting out of the way. The ground even trembled a little.
Swallowing down her fear, she quietly reached into her bag and pulled out her bow and some arrows. With her heart pounding, she took position and pulled her bow taught. If whatever was out there was looking for trouble, trouble was exactly what it was going to find.
"I know you're there!" she yelled into the shadows, daring the beast to show itself. The trees continued to rustle and sway until finally a familiar face appeared. Ah-Un emerged from the forest underbrush, one head after the other, with Jaken riding on his back. The tiny imp looked irate jumping up and down and shaking his two headed staff at her.
"How dare you threaten to purify me human! I should kill you for such an insult!"
Kagome rolled her eyes and lowered her bow. Placing a hand on her hip she glared at Jaken dubiously.
"What are you doing here? I could have killed you."
The imp jumped down to the ground begrudgingly and brushed the dirt from his clothes.
"If Lord Sesshomaru didn't... I'd burn her to a crisp…," he muttered under his breath. Kagome cocked an eyebrow and crossed her arms. Realizing she'd heard him, Jaken grovelled and hurriedly tried to explain himself.
"Lord Sesshomaru has graciously provided Ah-Un to transport you to Kaede's village. You should be thankful Miko! Lord Sesshomaru has better things to do than to waste his time protecting you!"
Kagome eyed Ah-Un warily but smiled when Un nuzzled her gently with his nose. Patting him and Ah on the head she looked the demon over approvingly. Jaken's words made sense, but she was still surprised Sesshomaru had thought to send Ah-Un for her at all. There'd been a few of those from him lately - surprises, that is. First his sudden appearance to save her from Inuyasha, then hearing about his mate... It was as if she was finally getting a glimpse at the man Rin and Jaken were so utterly devoted to, and yet, he was still the same Sesshomaru he'd always been - cold, distant and completely unreachable.
Kagome came back from her thoughts just as Jaken was taking it upon himself to leave. She smiled as she heard him muttering curses about her and the human race beneath his breath as he pushed his way through the underbrush. When he was gone, she turned back to the fire and exchanged glances with Ah-Un. The demon blinked back at her.
"Well," she said with a shrug, "it looks like it's just you and me. I'm going to get some sleep."
The demon grunted, and with a loud groan flopped its body down onto the earth. Within seconds both heads had their eyes closed and were snoring peacefully. Shaking her head in disbelief, she crawled into her sleeping bag and snuggled down.
"Thank you," she whispered to no one in particular and then finally drifted off to sleep.
oOo
The next morning Kagome awoke to the sound of birds chirping and the cool autumn sun beating down upon her face. After a quick breakfast of berries and bread she'd brought from the palace kitchens she packed up the campsite and set off with Ah-Un towards Kaede's village.
It was still early when they touched down in front of the old miko's hut. Kagome leapt off the beast's back and gave him a friendly pat on the neck before walking up to the bamboo covered doorway.
"Hello? Kaede?" she called out before carefully poking her head inside.
The old woman was sitting seiza on the floor and tending to a small cooking fire. Hearing Kagome's voice she glanced up and set the ladle in her hand aside.
"Why hello child!" she greeted her, slowly getting to her feet. "So ye have come back to us once more!"
Kagome nodded and embraced the old priestess warmly.
"Kaede, where is everyone else?" she asked, looking around at the empty hut.
Just as the words left her mouth a tiny ball of fur launched itself at her chest. She caught it in the nick of time and laughed as Shippo squeezed her tightly.
"KAGOME! I missed you so much! I thought I'd never see you again," he exclaimed with tears of happiness brimming in his large green eyes.
Shippo caught sight of the bandages covering the wounds on her arms and his mouth fell open. She followed his gaze and the warmth in her eyes faded. Inuyasha had done that to her. She could still vividly remember the feeling of his claws wrapped around her throat and the sound of his snarls piercing the air. A small shudder ran down her spine and she hugged her arms protectively around Shippo's fuzzy warm body.
Turning to Kaede she asked where Inuyasha was. It was time they had a serious talk.
"I couldn't tell ye for sure," the old miko replied, rubbing her chin thoughtfully. "I last saw him near the pond. He has not returned to the village so I cannot say for certain where he may be now."
Kagome nodded and set Shippo down on the floor.
"Thanks Kaede. I have a feeling I know where he is."
With a sigh she made her way to the door and pushed the mat aside.
"I'll be back later!" she called over her shoulder before disappearing into the yard.
Her feet followed the well worn path from Kaede's hut to the Goshinboku tree. As she walked, she reflected on what she would say to him once she got there. She could sense that he still had the jewel shard on him and wasn't sure how she felt about it.
Should I be angry with him for using it? she asked herself. I know he only used it to save me. It's not his fault that he couldn't control the power of the jewel. No… wait…He knew exactly what he was doing! Using a jewel shard was reckless and stupid! He could have killed me! If Sesshomaru hadn't shown up when he did…
Kagome abruptly cut her train of thought short. She had no desire to picture what could have happened. Stopping next to a tree to collect herself, she crossed her arms in front of her chest and stared at her feet. She could see the Goshinboku in the distance and it made her heart flutter in her chest. Inuyasha was there, she could feel it. She wanted to talk to him, but she wasn't sure she wanted to hear what he had to say.
This could change everything…, she realized.
Finding the courage within herself she urged her feet forward. She couldn't avoid it any longer. They had to talk about what'd happened or they'd never be able to get past it. They couldn't just end with so many things left unsaid.
As her feet moved steadily forward and the branches began to clear, her eyes took in a scene that made her stop in her tracks a second time. Inuyasha was sleeping, just as she'd expected, with his back resting against the trunk of the tree and one leg dangling off the broad limb. What she didn't expect was to find Kikyo there as well, sleeping atop his chest with his arms wrapped protectively around her.
Kagome's jaw clenched shut and her fists slowly tightened until she could feel her nails digging into the flesh of her palms. She'd been preparing herself to handle every scenario but this one. Never once did it cross her mind that she would return to find him in Kikyo's embrace.
Why? After you betrayed me you went back to her? How could you? she repeated her final question aloud and her voice shook with emotion.
Up in the branches of the tree Inuyasha opened his eyes. He glanced down, surprised to find Kikyo sleeping across his chest. For a moment he thought it'd been a dream. He rubbed her back absentmindedly and tried to ignore the stench of bones and graveyard soil that invaded his nostrils. As the winds changed, another scent came to him, one that made the breath freeze in his lungs. Breaking out into a cold sweat, he turned his head and looked down to where Kagome was staring up at him with eyes full of accusation.
"K-Kagome…" he managed to stutter, at a loss for words.
In response she turned heel and tore through the forest in the direction of the village. In all the time she'd known about Inuyasha's relationship with Kikyo, she'd tried to control any jealousy she felt towards her. It hadn't been easy, but she'd finally begun to accept that Inuyasha would always love her. Seeing that, on the other hand, was too much to handle. Especially now, when things between them already felt broken.
She heard the sound of his voice calling after her but she ignored him and ran faster. The branches of nearby trees lashed out to whip her arms and legs but she didn't care. All she could think of was getting back to the village as fast as possible. Once there, she could climb on Ah-Un and get as far away from Inuyasha and Kikyo as the demon was willing to take her.
Emerging from the trees into the grassy meadow, she half-sobbed with relief. Ah-Un was tethered next to Kaede's hut, patiently chewing on some grass. She ran over and began to untie the demon's harness, a process made increasingly difficult by the tears blurring her vision.
When she finally managed to untie the last knot, Inuyasha jumped down in front of her and grabbed hold of her arm.
"Kagome! Where are you going?"
"Away," she bit out and wrestled her arm out of his grasp.
"Hey! Wait a minute! Kagome about...that..."
"There is nothing you could say to me right now that will fix this Inuyasha," she warned in a low voice.
"You gotta let me explain!" he fired back, his voice growing steadily louder as his frustration increased.
"Explain what?" she demanded without giving him a chance to respond. "After everything you did to me you came back here and went to her for comfort? Kikyo tried to kill you not too long ago and she succeeded in killing me, or did you forget?"
"It...it's not like that!" he protested weakly. He at least had the decency to hang his head in shame.
Kagome made a move to get on Ah-Un's back and he spoke up again, hoping to keep her from leaving. If she left now, she might never return and he didn't think he could live with that.
"I'm sorry," he muttered sincerely.
By this time Kaede and the others stepped outside to see what all the commotion was about.
Ignoring his apology, Kagome started to climb up onto Ah-Un's saddle but Inuyasha pulled her back to the ground and held her tight against his chest.
"I can't let you go Kagome. I need you here."
She scoffed and wrestled out of his grasp.
"You don't need me Inuyasha, you have Kikyo. Use her to find the jewel shards. I'm leaving!"
The words had barely left her mouth when he grabbed her roughly by the arm and kissed her hard on the mouth. Though she struggled against him he held her fast, refusing to relent until she gave in. When he finally pulled away she glared up at him angrily and the moment he released his hold on her arm she slapped him hard across the face.
"Was that supposed to make it all better?" she demanded acidly. Wounded, Inuyasha staggered back. Kagome used the moment of distraction to hoist herself up onto the saddle and grab hold of Ah-Un's reins. Unfettered, Inuyasha grabbed the demon's harness and held fast.
"Don't go," he begged, his amber eyes looking into hers imploringly. "Please, Kagome. I…I love you."
Her heart skipped a beat. Like the first kiss she'd longed for, her heart had ached to hear these words from him and somehow he'd managed to crush both of her dreams in one fowl swoop. His actions, his words, they felt meaningless and hollow, inspired by desperation instead of genuine affection. She stared down at him, her body numb with shock. Her brain couldn't even process how to respond. What was the correct response in this sort of situation?
Inuyasha fidgeted where he stood, looking more aggravated by the second.
"Well, say something!" he demanded.
"Yell and scream at me, sit me a hundred times over, just say something!"
Without a word, she leaned down and lifted the subjugation beads from around his neck. Balling them in her palm, she tucked them into her shirt pocket and gave the others in their group a meaningful nod. She felt guilty for leaving them so quickly, but she couldn't stay under the circumstances. She knew they'd understand that she needed some time to herself.
Refusing to look at Inuyasha, she instructed Ah-Un to take off and soon felt a rush of cool wind against her face. Laying her body down against the demon's back she finally broke down and let the tears run free.
Down on the ground, the group glared at Inuyasha. He remained frozen where he stood, helplessly staring at the sky. When Ah-Un disappeared from sight he fell to his knees and bowed his head in defeat. The group watched him for a moment, collectively shaking their heads in disappointment before they returned to Kaede's hut.
When Inuyasha finally looked up he realized that for the first time since he'd been released from the tree, he was truly alone and the thought scared him to death. Too often he was plagued by nightmares where his claws accidentally killed the ones he loved. He always awoke in a cold sweat and with shaking hands he would grasp for the prayer beads that hung around his neck. He'd hated them at first, but these days they were a constant source of comfort - a gentle reassurance that he wasn't alone.
He reached for those same beads now but his fingers found only empty air. He felt naked and vulnerable without their heavy weight. They'd been his link to her, a symbol of their relationship and the many ways she'd saved him. Now they were gone, and she along with them.