InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

When Inuyasha returned to the village the next morning he found Sota, Shippo and the other children playing a heated game of 'soccer' down the main road. He watched them from a distance, with his shoulder resting against the wall of the house he'd stopped next to.
It was a relief to see he'd adjusted so well without him around. He hadn't planned on leaving the kid behind, but he didn't have enough patience to tolerate the comments and glares from the others for an entire night. They were still upset about his falling out with Kagome, and probably would be until she returned. But the way he saw it, he'd saved their asses way too many times to have to put up with it. For the time being at least, it was probably best to keep his distance anyway.
As soon as Sota caught sight of Inuyasha's red haori he waved 'good bye' to the other children and ran towards him wearing a grin that spread from ear to ear.
"Hey Inuyasha! Is it time to go now?" He sounded disappointed to be returning home but relieved at the same time.
The half demon nodded and glanced over his head at Kaede's hut. Bending down on one knee he casually rested a hand on Sota's shoulder and looked him straight in the eye.
"I'm gonna take you home real soon. I just gotta talk to that old hag before we go," he explained, jerking his thumb towards the hut.
Sota nodded.
"Okay!" he shouted and ran off to join the other children once more.
Inuyasha watched him go and then made his way purposefully toward the old miko's hut. He didn't bother announcing himself before pushing aside the bamboo mat that hung over the door and entering. Kaede was seated in her usual spot, on the floor next to the fire. At his entrance she slowly stood up and went over to her collection of herbs. There she busied herself picking and sniffing from different piles before putting a few different selections into her tea pot.
"You know why I'm here I guess," he said levelly. His hands balled into anxious fists at his sides as he waited for her to respond. As much as he hated groveling like this, he was willing to do it if it meant that he could be where she was again.
Kaede didn't respond at first. She took her time walking back to the fire and spooning ladles of hot water into her tea pot. She set it aside on some hot rocks to steep and then finally turned a knowing look on him.
"Ay, I know why ye are here. As I told ye last night, Kagome must be the one to put the necklace back around your neck."
Inuyasha pounded his fist against the wall in frustration and angrily pulled the beads out from the inner pocket of his haori. He thrust the necklace at her, his eyes searching hers imploringly. When he didn't see any response he knelt down before the old miko and braced his hands against the floor.
"Please, Kaede. I need your help. I need to see her again. I want to tell her-," he begged at her feet, thankful that there was no one else around to see him reduced to this. Right now though, he didn't care. He'd be as pathetic as he had to be if it meant he had another chance to see her and explain.
"Kagome has already heard what ye need to tell her. It is up to her now to make the choice. It would do ye good to be patient for once in your life."
Inuyasha growled at her words and lifted himself off the ground, raising his body up to its full height. He glared down at her with fire in his eyes.
"Kaede, I'm begging you to help me. I know you put these beads around my neck before so you can do it again. Please. If nothing else, do it so I can make sure the kid gets home safely."
Kaede stubbornly shook her head, refusing to give in. She tucked her hands into the sleeves of her robes and closed her eyes. Her voice sounded strained and frustrated when she spoke again.
"I have told ye already that I cannot help ye. What gave that necklace power was the connection that was formed between ye and her. When she removed the necklace that connection was broken. It can only be restored again once she decides to put it back on ye and does so."
Inuyasha snarled at her words and thrust aside the mat hanging across the door. Storming out into the street, he nearly ran over Sota who was waiting for him with his back against the wall. The boy looked up at him expectantly, but the half demon didn't have the heart to tell him the news just yet. Tucking the beads into his pocket he knelt down so the boy could climb onto his back. With his legs tucked under his arms he told him to hold on tight and tore through the fields to the well, curing Kaede and her stubbornness the entire way.
When they finally reached the well, Inuyasha set Sota down and the boy looked up at him expectantly.
"Are you going to come with me?" he asked. The hope in his voice tugged at the half demon's heart.
Inuyasha threw himself down onto the ground in a huff and leaned his back against the well's ancient wooden walls. He pulled out the beads and grazed his thumb along their smooth edges. When he looked up at Sota he couldn't hide the sadness and disappointment in his eyes. The boy's face fell as soon as he realized he would be making the trip back to the modern era alone.
"It turns out the old hag was right. Only Kagome can put these beads back around my neck and I can't go through the well without them. Do you still have those jewel shards?"
Sota nodded and pulled the small vial from his pocket which contained the shining pink shards. He held them up into the light and the sun glinted off their sharp edges.
Inuyasha nodded once and stood up, "Okay that's good. When you get home, make sure you put them on Kagome's desk where you found them. It's probably best if you don't tell her you came here."
"But why can't I tell her? I'll tell her you're really, really sorry for ditching her for that other friend. I'm sure she'll forgive you then!"
Inuyasha had to smile at the boy's naïveté. He only wished he could be so optimistic. The sinking feeling in his chest told him that things weren't going to go his way this time. Kagome had given him so many chances and all he'd ever done was disappoint her.
Placing his hand gently on Sota's head, he nodded towards the well. "Thanks kid, but this is between me and Kagome. Now go on home before your mom worries about you."
He gently lifted the boy onto the well's ledge and waited while he stared dubiously into its murky depths. He suddenly turned around and wrapped his arms around Inuyasha's neck, holding him tight. The half demon's amber eyes opened wide, stunned by Sota's embrace, but he quickly hugged him back. After so many days of being shunned by everyone he knew, it felt good to know that there was finally someone on his side.
Before letting go, Sota whispered up towards one of Inuyasha's white dog-like ears,
"I'm gonna miss you."
Holding the boy tighter to him, Inuyasha closed his eyes and answered, "I'm gonna miss you too, kid."
In many ways Sota had become like the brother he'd always wanted. As a child he'd grown up alone and unwanted but Sota was always so happy and full of life. He lived the life Inuyasha had always dreamed of living as a child but was never able to experience because of his half-demon heritage.
If Kagome left for good he would lose Sota, too. They would never again have their humorous and often embarrassing man-to-man talks. Inuyasha liked the fact that he was someone's hero, even if it was only to Kagome's brother.
Breaking away from the hug he looked down the well and Sota looked with him.
"Are you ready now?" he asked softly. Sota nodded and before he could say another word he'd jumped down into the darkness. The blue glow that lingered at the bottom of the well marked his successful trip back to the modern era.
Inuyasha stared down the well for some time, unsure what he was looking for. Finally, he leapt over the side hoping that he would somehow end up in her world. When his feet landed in the soft dirt he tilted his head up and sniffed the air for her scent. He abruptly stopped when all he could smell was grass and trees. So he hadn't gone back after all.
Just as Kaede had said, he was stuck in the feudal era until Kagome returned. Feeling the frustration boil up in his chest, he struck out with his claws at the sides of the well. He clawed at the stones again and again leaving deep gouge marks in the aged rock. With his anger temporarily satiated, he slumped against the stone wall exhausted and tilted his head towards the sky.
All he could do now was wait.
-----------------------------------------
Author's Note: Poor Inu...you almost feel sorry for him. Please leave a review if you get a chance!