InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In the weeks that followed the atmosphere within the palace began to change. It was subtle at first, just a few servants gossiping here and there, but eventually she couldn't ignore it. The servants' gossip, their worried looks, the frantic bustling about - there was something big going on and she was being kept in the dark about it.
She tried asking a few different servants but they'd all brushed off her questions or made up an excuse and run away. Not knowing didn't sit well with her, especially when many of those worried glances and whispers were aimed in her direction.
The closest she'd come to any sort of revelation was when one of Sesshomaru's advisors cornered her on the way to her room. The man's name was Yakata. He was a haggard, dour faced demon with yellow eyes and sour breath. He made no secret about his abject hatred of all humans and made certain she knew it at every possible occasion.
That night, his spiteful threats became more than just words. He viciously shoved her into the wall and held her prisoner with his arm at her throat.
"You've worn out your welcome, human," he sneered, revealing a mouth full of fangs. "It would be in your best interest to leave before one of us decides to let our claws slip."
He scraped a claw lightly down her cheek as he said this, just enough to draw blood.
"Accidents happen, you know."
She couldn't do anything more than gawk at him in wide-eyed shock. He gave her a smug look before releasing her and continuing on his way down the hall.
Thinking back on it now made her fists clench tight in anger. What made him think that he could threaten her and that she'd just lie down and take it? Compared to Naraku, whatever Yakata could dish out was child's play. She wasn't scared of him, or anyone else in the palace.
But his words had given her something to think about. Whatever was going on, they obviously thought she was involved somehow, which was more than a little unnerving. Empty threats she could handle on her own, but if it turned into something more...
I can handle myself, she thought with a brave nod.
Besides, telling on Yakata would only create more problems for her in the end. He'd know then that his threats had gotten to her and that's exactly what she didn't want.
I have to be strong.
It wasn't until she accidently stumbled across one of Sesshomaru's closed-door meetings with his advisors that she realized just how serious the situation was.
As she approached a large set of double doors she could hear voices on the other side. Curious she tip-toed closer and huddled against the door. Judging from the angry tone of the voices inside, Sesshomaru and his advisors were in the middle of a heated discussion about something big.
"Make her leave!" Yakata's demand was followed by the dead sound of his fist slamming against the table. Kagome winced. Of all the things she'd expected them to be talking about, that wasn't it.
Hearing another advisor pipe up, she tuned her ear to their conversation once more.
"Your Lordship, we are merely trying to protect you from any embarrassing situations. I am sure you remember what happened last time you decided to have a relationship with a human. Your people need a strong leader, now more than ever, and allowing a human wench to remain here, and a miko no less, makes you look weak."
This next advisor was Mitsushi. He wasn't as cruel towards her as the others but at the heart they were all the same, they hated humans and wanted her out of the palace as soon as possible. What would Sesshomaru say? He hadn't exactly been overly welcoming or hospitable since her arrival. Frankly, it struck her as odd that they were debating the issue at all. He could have easily kicked her out without a second thought and been done with it.
Curiosity got the better of her and she pushed the door ajar to peek inside. Sesshomaru was standing at the head of the table with his claws wrapped around Mitsushi's neck. He effortlessly dangled the elderly demon in the air and glared at him with fire in his eyes.
"Do I look weak?" he demanded with a snarl.
The advisors all took a cautious step backwards as the Lord of the West glared at each of them in turn. His eyes bled crimson and she gulped, knowing from experience than when he got that angry only blood would satisfy him. She watched as he threw Mitsushi to the floor and stood before the rest of his advisors, anger radiating from every part of him.
"Need I remind you that I am the one who fights the battles and wins them. I am the one who has the trust and loyalty of the people. Do not come in here and deem to tell me how to run my empire. You advise me and I choose to listen if the advice is worthy, but do not for a moment forget that I am the one who is in command!"
Finished, he returned to his chair at the head of the table and gracefully eased himself into it. Looking calmer now, he leaned back and added more casually, "As for the girl, I will not hear another word about it. I decide if and when she leaves. Is that understood?"
Yakata was the first to object. "But sir! With the northern tribes threatening war we do not have time for this petty business. Your attention must be on battle strategies, not bedding some human wench!"
Kagome heard Sesshomaru growl at the comment and she had to stifle a gasp. For someone who barely gave her the time of day, he seemed pretty serious about her staying. She noticed too late that the room had gone remarkably quiet. The door was suddenly wrenched open to reveal Sesshomaru standing on the other side levelling her with a glare that could melt the flesh off a horse.
Without a word he grabbed her roughly by the arm and dragged her down the hall. Once they reached the library he pushed her inside and forced her into the nearst chair.
"Stay here."
"No thanks."
She was halfway to standing when he pushed her back down.
"Stop acting like a child. I haven't the patience nor the inclination to deal with one of your tantrums today."
She stared up at him with her mouth hanging open. This was the most he'd spoken to her since her arrival. That didn't stop his words from striking a nerve though. Growling at him she shrugged out from under his hand. She was on the verge of telling him to go to hell when he turned on her, his expression fierce.
"This is not a game! They already don't trust you. If they decide to kill you I will be unable to stop them."
His words sobered her instantly. She swallowed her retort and averted her eyes to the floor. He waited until she finally lifted her gaze to his and gave her an imploring look. She was surprised at what she saw in his eyes. For the first time since she'd met him she saw vulnerability there. It was a subtle change but it was there, she was certain of it. And now that she looked closer, he looked tired too. If there really was a war brewing he had more important things to focus on. His extended absences around the palace suddenly made a lot more sense and she instantly felt guilty for inadvertantly causing him even more trouble.
"Alright, fine," she huffed, breathing out a sigh of frustration. "I'm sorry for spying. It'd just be nice to know what's going on around here once in a while. No one tells me anything."
He seemed to consider her words before silently nodding and retreating back to his meeting. The man never ceased to confuse her. One minute he could be so cold and vicious that he actually scared her and the next it was like he was someone else entirely. It was hard to believe that such different sides could possibly belong to the same man. As long as one of his advisors didn't get the bright idea to turn her into yakitori, she hoped to be around long enough to unwrap another layer of the mystery.