InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 17 ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome's first morning as a guest in Sesshomaru's palace was anything but conventional. She awoke at the very moment Rin launched herself onto her chest, intent on delivering a bear hug, or two.
“KAGOME!” Rin squealed, wrapping her arms around her neck. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes, Kagome woke up enough to hug the girl back before prying her off.
Rin beamed up at her as cheerful as ever and quickly lifted the breakfast tray she'd brought with her into view. When the smell of freshly squeezed juice, scrambled eggs, fish and rice reached her nose, Kagome's stomach let out a telling growl.
“I guess I'm hungry,” she laughed and took in another grateful whiff. She dove in and the tray was empty in no time. Sitting back, she patted her stomach and closed her eyes contentedly.
“Mmmm mmmm! Delicious! Rin, give my compliments to the chef!”
“I don't know why you'd want to give your compliments to a Mr. Chef. I made it!” she laughed.
“You made all of that?” Kagome asked surprised.
The girl bowed with pride as she took the dirty dishes away.
“It really wasn't that hard. I even went to the gardens and picked some fresh fruit for the juice. Master Jaken always says my cooking tastes terrible, but he doesn't like anything. Did it really taste good, Kagome?”
“Yes it was delicious, I promise!”
The girl cheered happily and bounded out the door with her tray of dirty dishes in hand.
“I'll be back later!” she called over her shoulder and then disappeared out of sight.
Finally alone, Kagome let out a contented sigh and looked around her new room. It was different than the one she'd stayed in before. This one seemed nicer; the walls and floors were covered with richly woven tapestries, each one depicting a mythical garden or an old tale. Well at least he has good taste, she thought to herself.
Turning her thoughts to Sesshomaru, she tried to figure out what she was supposed to do now. They'd hardly spoken since he met up with her at the cliff. The way back had been silent and once they arrived at the palace he'd left her to the care of his servants. She wasn't sure what she'd been expecting. Maybe something different... But he was Sesshomaru, after all. She really shouldn't have expected any more. Besides, that wasn't why she was here.
Thinking back on the moment by the well, when those life altering words had left her lips, she felt a knot form in her stomach. It wasn't guilt exactly, and not sadness either. She couldn't describe the feeling. She just knew it was there, sitting like a brick in her gut.
Even though she'd left Inuyasha behind, she still loved him and knew in her heart she always would. He'd been her first true love, after all. Just because things hadn't worked out the way she wanted them to, didn't mean she was suddenly going to cut him out of her heart. He would always have a place there, but she hoped that in time her feelings for him would fade and she'd have room in there to love another. Maybe once this quest to find the jewel shards was complete, she'd return home to her regular life and finally go on that date with Hojo. For all she knew, Hojo could be the great love of her life. Or not.
Throwing the covers off her body, Kagome crawled out of bed determined to explore the palace. She padded across the tatami floor to the wardrobe and opened it to find something to wear. After pulling out robe after robe of rich silk, which all looked too formal to wear for anything except a festival or wedding, she finally decided on one of the plainer ones. It was midnight blue silk with just the barest hint of a star pattern running down the back and sleeves. It wasn't her school uniform, but since that seemed to have disappeared at some point during the night it would have to do.
Holding up the various pieces, she looked at the garment doubtfully. There was no way she'd be able to do this by herself. Blowing out a sigh of resignation, she begrudgingly rang the servant's bell to summon help and ducked behind the large screen that had been set up next to the wardrobe.
Let the transformation begin, she thought with a wry smile.
oOo
Sesshomaru sat in the palace gardens with his back resting against a large willow tree. It was a quiet sort of day and he was completely at his leisure watching Rin play a game of leap frog with a begrudging Jaken. Even from where he sat he could hear the imp's high pitched shrieks of contempt and indignation. Jaken's talents as a play mate were sorely lacking.
The sudden intrusion of the miko's scent in the air caught his attention. He turned his head to watch her slowly cross the garden towards him. She was dressed in one of the kimonos that had been left in her room, a merciful break from the appalling, skimpy attire she usually wore. She'd chosen the simplest kimono of them all and paired it with a bright green obi around her waist. She'd obviously had help pinning up her unruly hair, but regardless she looked worlds better than she had the day before.
As she neared, tottering uneasily on her geta, he nodded a greeting. Pausing before him she bowed back, a tiny smile tugging at her lips.
“Mind if I join you?” she asked, wobbling a little before catching her balance again. He demon stared at her thoughtfully a moment before turning his attention back to his ward.
“It would be best not to sully such a beautiful kimono by sitting in the dirt,” replied non-committally before standing up.
The girl blushed deeply with embarrassment and quickly bowed in apology. By the time she righted herself he was already on his way back to the palace. He wasn't in any mood to entertain or indulge, not today.
 
When Kagome looked up Sesshomaru was already retreating toward the palace. She stared after him dumbfounded and then heaved a sigh. So much for that idea, she thought. For some reason she'd thought things would be different. Maybe because he'd told her a bit about his past, or because he'd saved her life... He'd even invited her to stay at the palace. What was his motive? Why did he want her around if he couldn't tolerate being around her? It didn't make any sense to her whatsoever, but then, a lot of things he did were completely beyond her understanding. Somehow it always felt like he was 10 paces ahead of them and she had to run just to keep up.
Heaving a sigh she rested her hand against the rough bark of the tree and turned to watch Rin and Jaken arguing. Catching Rin's eye she waved before allowing herself to take in the sights of the rest of the garden. She hadn't had an opportunity to appreciate it the last time. It was truly stunning in the daylight.
Words could hardly describe the vibrant colours and diverse textures that made up Sesshomaru's Karesansui garden. At first glance it seemed so unlike the man himself in every way, but when she looked closer she found him there. She could see his influence in the graceful Japanese maple, whose crimson leaves shimmered in the afternoon sunlight and in the ancient cheesewood, with limbs that stretched high toward the sky. He was there too, in the moss covered stone lanterns and the delicate white flowers of the dogwood trees.
Everywhere she looked, he was there. It made her realize just how little she knew about him, and how desperately she wanted to learn more. She wanted to know the man who had built this garden up from nothing into such a thing of beauty that it took her breath away. She'd only ever known him as a killer, but someone who only understood destruction couldn't have created this - she was certain of it.
“Whatcha doin' Kagome?”
A breathless Rin ran up to her side and peered up at her eagerly. She smiled down at her and slipped out of her geta.
“Well, I was thinking of dipping my feet in the pond over there,” she said, picking up her shoes. “The water looks pretty nice!”
Rin scrunched her nose and shook her head.
“I know somewhere better,” she said and took her hand. Kagome offered no objections and followed her to a small foot onsen a little further down the path. She gasped with excitement and eagerly hiked up her kimono before dipping her feet into the warm water. The naturally smooth stones of the small spring felt amazing beneath her bare feet. Letting out a sigh of contentment, she gratefully sat down on one of the rocks that had been placed at the edge of the spring.
“This is my favourite spot too,” Rin explained as she hiked up her kimono to join her in the water. “It feels really nice in the winter when there's snow!”
“I bet!” Kagome laughed and slowly kicked her feet around under the water.
I could get used to this, she thought.
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad staying with Sesshomaru instead of the others. A little time away from Inuyasha might be exactly what she needed. And it would give her a chance to learn more about Sesshomaru, too. Maybe she could even find a way to convince he and Inuyasha to see eye to eye. It didn't seem likely, but anything was possible. A year ago she never would have believed that she would leave Inuyasha and ally herself with Sesshomaru, but look where she was now.
Her curiosity piqued, she gave Rin a thoughtful look and asked, “Do you know why Sesshomaru brought me here?”
Rin didn't seem the least bit interested in the answer. She shrugged and studied her feet under the water.
“Isn't it obvious? He likes you!”
“I don't think Sesshomaru likes anyone,” she muttered under her breath.
“Don't be silly, Kagome,” Rin said, giving her a curious look. “Sesshomaru likes Rin and Jaken-sama. Now he likes you too! Though I don't think he likes Jaken-sama very much anymore. Poor Jaken-sama seems very put out about it.”
They turned in unison to look at the green imp who had taken to sitting by himself and staring rather forlornly at the palace.
“I kind of feel sorry for him,” Kagome admitted.
Rin nodded in agreement. “Me too. He can't help that he's outspoken and annoying.”
The imp turned and glared at them before getting to his feet in a huff.
“I can hear you you impudent girl!” he shouted, waving his staff furiously in their direction. When they giggled in response he stormed off toward the palace in a fit.
Kagome stared back at her feet as her giggles slowly died down. Maybe staying wasn't such a bad idea after all.