InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 30 ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was several days before Ginta and Hakkaku returned to the wolf den. Kouga gave them time to catch their breath and shake dry while he busied himself stoking the fire. His eyes lingered on Kagome and as an afterthought he added another pelt atop of the ever growing mound he'd buried her under.
Though he'd kept her as close as he dared to the fire's roaring heat, her skin had yet to lose its deathly pallor. As leader of the Wolf Demon Tribe, he wasn't accustomed to failure, in any form. Stepping back, he swiped a weary hand over his face and contemplated what to do. 
Despite his brazen antics and cocky remarks, he truly did care for her. Seeing her helpless like this tore at him the way the death of his pack had. He'd never been so worried about a human in his entire life. Since he'd found her in that river the knot of panic in his gut hadn't subsided, not even for a moment.
Crouching down he tenderly brushed the hair back from her face. 
"Tell me what you found," he instructed. 
Ginta and Hakkaku dutifully recounted what they knew of Inuyasha's whereabouts as well as the rest of the group.
"From what we could tell," Hakkaku offered nervously, "they aren't even looking for her."
Kouga's brows drew low at that bit of information. What could've happened? It wasn't like mutt face to not be out searching for her. He was as loyal as a newborn pup. Was it possible they hadn't realized she was missing yet?
He studied her in the firelight and silently pleaded with her to wake up. Only she could answer his questions. Only she could tell him what'd happened and how she'd ended up in that river so far from everyone she cared about. The silence that fell over the cave was heavy and broken only by the sound of wood popping inside the flames.
"Has she woken up yet?" Ginta asked tentatively. Kouga shook his head slowly.
"I need your help," he said finally, nodding to his two companions.
"We gotta bring Kagome back to the others. I've tried everything I can to wake her but nothing's helped. That miko of theirs…maybe she can do something."
Kouga hesitated before begrudgingly adding, "…and Inuyasha always seems to have an effect on her. Maybe if he's around...it'll help."
He almost choked on those last words. He was loathed to admit that Inuyasha was better than him at anything, including winning Kagome's affections. He'd known for some time that Kagome's heart belonged to the half demon mutt, but it never kept him from trying.
"I don't get it," Hakkaku cut in while scratching his head. "Why do you need our help?"
Kouga gave him a sharp look and the frightened wolf demon took an unconscious step out of striking range.
"You know what happens to people who question him!" Ginta whispered harshly behind his hand.
Hakkaku gulped loudly but was relieved to see that Kouga wasn't in the mood to make mince meat out of him. Instead, he sat down on a nearby rock and rested his chin on his hand.
"Well, I could bring her back myself but you know mutt face. He'll assume I attacked her or something stupid like that," he explained.
"The last thing Kagome needs right now is for us two to be going to war. We can save that for another day, preferably when she's conscious so she can watch me kick his ass."
Ginta and Hakkaku snickered at the implication behind his words.
"If you two bring her back it won't look as suspicious," Kouga concluded with a pointed look in their direction. The duo nodded simultaneously, recognizing an order when they heard one.
Kouga stooped and lifted Kagome into his arms. After tucking her into some warm furs he looked at his companions expectantly. They, in turn, looked at the snow storm blustering outside. He didn't really expect them to go out in that did he?
"Come on, time to go!" he announced before tearing out of the cave. Even without his jewel shards he was still faster than either of them could ever hope to be. Stifling groans, they took off after their leader as fast as their legs could carry them.
oOo
It took several hours of running through blinding snow and knee-deep drifts before the group arrived at the woods on the periphery of the old miko's village. A bitter wind whipped furiously around the trio, burning their bare legs and arms.
With a decisive nod in the direction of Kaede's hut, Kouga carefully handed Kagome over to them. Sharing a troubled look, they carried their sister into the village.
Until this moment they'd felt utterly useless. They couldn't revive her, they couldn't cure her illness, and they couldn't even comfort her properly. Looking down at the pale glimmer of her skin in the moonlight the two wolves quickened their pace.
Without knocking or announcing their entrance the pair barged through the old miko's door and stood panting and dripping with snow in the centre of her single room dwelling. The warm heavy air inside was a welcome break from the blizzard they'd just run though but it offered them little comfort.
The old miko stared up at them from her seat next to the fire. She regarded them curiously but made no move to stand or speak. The slight tilt of her head silently urged them to explain (and quickly mind you) what they were doing in her home.
"Where is Inuyasha?" Ginta blurted out as his eyes scanned the hut.
"Inuyasha is not here. Why are ye searching for him?"
Her tone was soothing and it eased the wolf demons' nerves. They watched her bowed grey head for a moment and the way her withered hands picked apart herbs for drying. Sharing a glance between them, Ginta and Hakkaku silently argued over who would have the privilege of revealing what was hidden in the bundle of furs they carried between them.
Finally they seem to agree that the best method was to set Kagome's body on the floor so the old woman could see for herself. As they began to unwrap the thick furs that covered her form the old woman let out a gasp.
"Is that-?" she looked up at the two wolves who nodded solemnly.
"We-we found her in the woods like this," Ginta lied. He averted his gaze and stared hard at the floor. He didn't realize how hard it would be to lie to the old woman. Swallowing hard he opened his mouth to continue but closed it again when Hakkaku continued the lie for him.
"We've been trying to take care of her but she won't wake up. Can you help old woman?"
Kaede frowned and put a hand to Kagome's forehead. She clucked her tongue, shaking her head ominously as she motioned for the wolves to bring her next to the fire.
"What's wrong with her?" Ginta asked as he wrung his hands in front of him. "Is sister Kagome going to be okay? You can fix her right?
At the sound of Kagome's name a tiny fox demon stirred in his sleep. Turning over, he rubbed his eyes blearily and blinked at the scene of two wolf demons and Kaede huddled around a pile of furs. Sniffing the air he sat up alert and sniffed again just to be sure.
"KAGOME!"
Shippo cheered and bounded out of bed, certain that his nose was never wrong. In two leaps he was hovering near her head with confusion written across his face.
"What's wrong with her?" he asked aloud when he saw everyone's serious expressions.
Kaede ignored his questions, too busy for the moment considering the best remedies to lower the girl's fever.
Elder flowers and peppermint should do the trick…or maybe elderberries…
Finally noticing the distraught expression on Shippo's face and the tears of worry brewing in his round green eyes, she patted him absentmindedly on the head and did her best to give him a comforting smile.
"Kagome is very sick right now. Please go find Inuyasha and tell him to come back."
The tiny fox demon nodded and disappeared out the door in a flash.
"Is there anything we can do?" Ginta asked, nervously eyeing the door.
"It was sensible of Kouga to stay away," the old miko commented casually.
The wolf demons exchanged looks of surprise.
"Tell me, did he find her in the woods?"
They nodded uneasily.
"Interesting. And she was alone? You're certain there were no other demons around?"
Again, they nodded in unison.
Kaede mulled this over while picking herbs from her collection to brew. After she'd ground a few of them into a fine powder she returned to the fire and set a pot to boil.
When that was finished, she gave the pair of wolf demons a heartfelt smile.
"Thank ye for bringing her home. We have missed her greatly. Ye may go if ye wish. We will take care of her."
Ginta and Hakkaku let out identical sighs of relief and turned for the door. Pushing aside the mat, Ginta motioned for his friend to go on ahead while he lingered behind. Turning to the old woman he asked why no one from their pack had gone to search for Kagome.
"Kagome left us many months ago to live with Inuyasha's half-brother, the demon lord Sesshomaru," Kaede explained pensively.
Her brows knit together as she took in the girl's pale form. Her eyes lingering on the dark purple bruise that stained her jaw and slowly shook her head in disbelief.
"I am surprised she has ended up in this way…so obviously mistreated, I mean. I thought Sesshomaru to be of a certain class of character. Then again, I am just an old crone and he has always been unpredictable."
His face drawn, Ginta thanked her and exited the hut. He paused in the snow outside and thought over what Kaede had told him.
Should I tell Kouga?
The news that Sesshomaru, Inuyasha's older and much more dangerous brother possibly hurt Kagome would send Kouga on a rampage and looking for revenge. Now that winter had arrived in full force, it would be too dangerous for their pack to venture into the Western Lands. And knowing Kouga's stubborn determination he wouldn't let anything stop him, even if it cost him his life.
Watching the snow swirl across the buried rice fields Ginta decided to keep what he knew to himself, at least for the time being. Their pack needed its leader. They couldn't survive the long winter without one. Besides, Kagome would never forgive him if something bad happened to Kouga and he'd much rather face his leader's wrath than her tears any day.
oOo
Inuyasha stared wide-eyed at the woman he loved. The breath constricted in his throat, slowly suffocating him as he took in the sight of her torn robes and battered body. He'd always expected, rather hoped, that Kagome would come back to him but never like this.
He eyed the bruise on her cheek, which stood out in a smattering of magenta and violet against the otherwise deathly pallor of her skin, while his thumbs grazed overtop the telling pair of scars on her wrists. The sight of her made him flinch as his heart constricted with guilt.
"Baka," he whispered.
If you were so unhappy why didn't you just come home?
Uttering a quiet sound of disgust he drew up the blanket to cover her. Kagome, his Kagome, had returned. It made him want to cry with relief but instead an anger unlike anything he'd ever felt was brewing inside of him. He practically shook with rage as he fought the desire to go after his brother and tear him to pieces in a murderous rage.
How could he have let this happen to her?
On some level, Inuyasha wondered whether his brother had been the one to do it. He dismissed the thought just as quickly as it came. He may be a prick but even Sesshomaru had some asinine code of honour he adhered to. Hitting a woman was beneath him, much in the same way that fighting an unarmed opponent or killing a child was.
Kneeling at her side, Inuyasha gently took Kagome's hand between his. Kaede had given her every remedy she could think of but her fever continued to rage. He'd placed her body mere inches from the roaring fire and piled layers of blankets on top of her but nothing they did seemed to stop her shivering.
Knowing Kagome and how stubborn she was gave him a sliver of hope to hold on to. Somehow she would find the strength to pull through and come back to him. Somehow...
"I promise I'll kill that bastard for this!" he swore.
Even if Sesshomaru hadn't been the one to do this to her, he still deserved to be strung up for not being man enough to protect her.
The faint squeeze of her hand around his was so fleeting he thought he'd imagined it at first.
"Kagome? It's okay, you're safe. No one's going to hurt you anymore," he coaxed her, using his free hand to gently brush the hair back from her face.
A wave of hope crashed through his chest as he felt her squeeze his hand once more. Turning her head to the side she groaned softly and her eyelids began to flutter. He waited with bated breath, hardly able to keep still from the anticipation.
He rubbed her cheek gently with his thumb to encourage her to open her eyes. Kaede shuffled over to stand behind him and placed a warm, reassuring hand on his shoulder.
"Kagome? It's me. Wake up," Inuyasha practically begged, somehow managing to keep his voice calm and even.
As he continued to stroke her hair she turned her head towards his voice. Her brow furrowed in delicate creases as she opened her eyes a sliver. He smiled down at the chocolate brown orbs he hadn't seen in months and watched them flicker around the room. They finally came to rest on his face and she visibly relaxed.
Kaede quickly brought a ladle full of water to the girl's parched lips and she sipped at it greedily. After watching her drink two more ladlefuls Inuyasha couldn't hold himself back any longer. He pulled her up into a crushing hug and buried his face in her hair.
"I was so scared you were never gonna wake up…" he whispered softly in her ear.
She smiled gently and managed to rub his back with one hand while she held onto him weakly with the other. His kindness towards her brought tears to her eyes.
Inuyasha…How can you still care for me after I abandoned you?
When he pulled away Inuyasha looked at her tears in surprise.
"Are you okay? I didn't hurt you did I?" he asked in a panic, checking her over for some injury they hadn't yet discovered. She stayed him with her hand and shook her head.
"It's okay. I'm fine. Why am I here?"
Inuyasha wanted to laugh at her words. The fever still flushed her cheeks and shone in her eyes. Her pupils were the size of acorns and she could barely lift her hands to hug him but she insisted she was fine. Stubborn and reckless…she was Kagome alright and he was happier than ever to have her back.
"Ginta and Hakkaku brought you to us. They said they found you alone in the forest," Kaede explained calmly.
Kagome's mouth gaped and her eyes darted back and forth across the floor as she searched for the memories that eluded her. Her head felt as if it was stuffed with cotton, forcing all of her memories into hiding.
"In the forest? But... How did I end up there?"
"We were hoping you could tell us," Inuyasha interjected, looking at her expectantly.
"What did that bastard do to you? You can tell me. I swear, Kagome, I'll kick his ass for treating you like this!"
Kagome stared at him confused. Her mouth opened and closed but no words came out. She tried to play it all back in her mind but she could only pull up bits and pieces and none of it made any sense whatsoever.
Ever so slowly it started to come back to her in snippets, much like a choppy old time movie. The guards, the fire, Sesshomaru's blood, Mitsushi, the cold that seeped into her bones... As they returned one by one, she was able to put the pieces together and her chest tightened in panic. She heaved a sob and struggled to push herself to her feet as her fever glazed eyes searched the room for a way out.
Shocked by her reaction, Inuyasha tried to hold her down but she screamed and fought against him.
"No! Let me go! I have to go to him!"
"Who? Who do you have to go to Kagome? Not Sesshomaru…"
At the demon's name Kagome stopped struggling and looked into his eyes imploringly. Torrents of tears flowed freely down her cheeks.
"Where is he? Do you know? Is he okay? If you know you have to tell me!"
He gaped at her, unsure of what to say. Finally he shook his head.
"Kagome, isn't he the bastard who did all of this to you?"
His eyes turned meaningfully to the scars that ran up the length of her forearms. She self consciously held them against her chest and shook her head. In between sobs she tried to explain about the guards but by the time she got to Sesshomaru she was crying too hard to continue.
"I-I have to go to him. He might be dying and it's my fault-all of it is my fault. Please let me go!" she pleaded and tried to struggle once more but Inuyasha held her fast. He looked at Kaede imploringly but she wore the same stunned expression as he did.
Kagome was sobbing so hard at this point she could barely move and finally stopped resisting. She allowed Inuyasha to calm her and rub her back soothingly before he laid her back down on her makeshift cot by the fire. He patiently wiped the tears from her cheeks with the edge of his knuckle as she hiccupped softly into her blankets.
While holding her he'd seen the mark of his brother on her shoulder. He assumed they'd most likely been together but he never would've expected Sesshomaru to make her his mate. Utterly confused and more than a little jealous, Inuyasha smiled at her warmly and tried to keep his emotions under control.
She sniffled while absentmindedly fingering several strands of his hair that'd fallen near her face.
"So it's the night of the new moon?" she asked nonchalantly. Kaede looked at her strangely and Inuyasha visibly gulped.
"Why no child, it's the middle of the cycle though ye can't tell for all the cloud cover outside."
At her words Kagome gasped and sat bolt upright. She looked at Inuyasha stunned and ran her fingers through his ebony hair.
"Inuyasha! What have you done?"