InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 33 ( Chapter 33 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

In a dank pit turned cell, a creature sat in waiting with its back rigid against the algae-slick stone wall. The stubborn pride conveyed in his posture could not hide the chains shackling his wrist and ankles.
For all his bravado he was but a prisoner and a very unhappy one at that. The room was a festering corner of Hell and he was entirely displeased to be stuck sitting in the middle of its floor.
The demon took in small, shallow breaths to avoid suffering the stench of the putrid air around him. Though he did his best, he could not block out the overwhelming smell of old death that clung to every oxygen particle around him. He was not the first to sit chained to this spot, left to waste away to nothing. There had been many before him and there would certainly be many after him.
The chains that bound him also drained his demonic power in strong but resilient pulses. He refused to wrestle against them like some caged beast, snarling and barking threats. If he had nothing else he had his pride and he would be damned if they took that from him too.
Though the cell was pitch black, the demon's blazing golden eyes flicked studiously to each corner to assess the situation. From what he could deduce, there was no feasible means of escape. The cell was enclosed by thick stone walls and a heavy metal door, sealed with some sort of barrier from the outside.
While normally he would have scoffed at such meagre obstructions, the drain on his demonic powers had been significant and prolonged; he felt weaker than a newborn pup. He lacked the strength to stand so sat against the wall for support, too stubborn or perhaps too sharp to reveal his weakness.
Having no other options, the demon had long since resigned himself to wait. For what or whom, he couldn't be sure. He had already given up hope that Kagome would be found alive, much less returned to him. The weight of unexpressed grief was heavy in his chest, but he didn't have time to wallow in his own misery. At present, his grief had been supplanted by a cold, simmering rage.
He had to assume that Rin and Jaken were dead as well. The vile creatures who'd managed to subdue him were ruthless and detested humans in every way. They would not have hesitated to kill his retainer and the child if it meant one less human in the world.
At one time he had been like them, looking down on humans as the scourge of the earth, no better than insects to be trampled upon. Minako… Rin… Kagome… How much they'd changed him.
Gazing down at his claws he slowly curled them into a fist as memories of that night unfurled before his eyes. When he'd seen them drag her from his room, knowing what her fate would be, the loose control he'd had over his inner demon vanished. In his half transformed state he'd attacked those closest to him. He could still feel the sweet sensation of their heated blood trickling down his fingers as he punched his fist through their bodies or lopped off their heads.
One after another, he'd carelessly tossed them to the side and flicked the blood off his claws before going after the next. He killed perhaps a dozen this way before they subdued him with enough restraints to seal his demonic power. Mitsushi had poisoned him to weaken him further and when he'd awoken next it was to the smell of decaying flesh and algae.
Shifting his back against the cold stone Sesshomaru winced slightly. His body still ached from where he'd been slashed by his enemies' blades. He hadn't felt pain like this in centuries. Normally his demon blood took over and healed his wounds within hours, sometimes a full day if they were severe enough. But with his power restricted as it was, the deep slashes across his chest and back were slow to heal and throbbed with each beat of his heart.
He wondered now who could've possibly devised spells strong enough to overwhelm his power. The chains that'd been used on him during the ambush were not unlike the ones that bound him now. Was it possible that his advisors had been working with the enemy all along? He snarled in disgust at the thought.
Having nothing to do with his time but think, he planned out the many ways he would kill all who'd betrayed him once he escaped. They'd gone against his authority and overthrown him from power, an act that was not only dishonourable but also utterly unforgivable.
But that alone wasn't enough. They'd taken Kagome from him and they'd taken Rin. For that, they would all pay with their lives.
Even as he planned his revenge, the dethroned Lord of the West understood all too well that none of it would bring her back. For the second time in his life he'd failed to protect the woman he loved and she'd paid for it with her life.
Was he destined to be alone forever? Perhaps the gods, if he still believed in them, were punishing him for a lifetime of indiscriminate killing. Or maybe it was just bad luck…
At the sound of a bolt being drawn, Sesshomaru turned his unblinking eyes to the door. He stared at it intently, mildly curious as to who would walk through. Would it be one of the advisors arriving to gloat at his master in chains? Or maybe one of the guards, ordered to bring him food?
He was careful to leave his expression blank. Whoever came through that door would be his first of many victims.
When the door finally opened, he was admittedly surprised to see a young woman dressed in a formal kimono standing on the other side. She stepped carefully into his cell, carrying a small food tray in front of her. Her large doe eyes glanced warily at the chains holding him prisoner before discretely lowering to the floor. Without a word she placed the tray at his feet and folded her hands in front of her.
"How are your wounds healing?" she asked politely.
Her voice was refined, genteel, as though she belonged to a royal house. Maybe the daughter of a noble, or an educated servant? Sesshomaru stared at her coldly and then pointedly looked away. He had no interest in making small talk with such a creature.
"Look, I brought you some food," she offered, pointing at the tray. Again, he refused to acknowledge her.
"Aren't you the least bit curious where you are?" she asked suddenly, placing her hands on her hips.
That got his attention. He turned his cold gaze on her and held her prisoner until she stammered and looked away. She continued to ramble on though her tone held much less confidence than before.
"You're in the North," she began tentatively. Her voice shook with a slight tremor as she spoke, but she quickly cleared her throat and continued, "Your advisors handed you over to my father, along with your kingdom. They decided it was unwise to go into battle against our tribe."
Sesshomaru considered such a scenario in his head. It was entirely possible she was telling the truth. It would explain why he couldn't identify any familiar smells, even through the stench of rotting flesh in the air.
"I suppose that make sense," he conceded.
Resting his head against the stone wall he ignored the girl, deeming her no longer important, and contemplated his best means of escape. He would rather die than see his father's kingdom fall into the hands of the Northern Tribes.
He was shocked out of his musings when the girl knelt at his side and pulled away the blood stained silk covering his chest. She appeared to be checking his wounds to see if they were healing, the little fool.
Taking advantage of her naivety, he quickly grabbed her throat in a vice grip. He squeezed until he could hear the tell tale wheezing gurgle in her throat. Her eyes went wide with fear and she clawed futilely at his hand, but he refused to release his hold on her.
He drew her in close until her face was mere inches from his own.
"Do. Not. Touch. Me,” he hissed. She shook her head, desperate to placate him.
“You are a fool to underestimate this Sesshomaru,” he continued, retaining his hold on her throat. “Despite my appearance I am your enemy and when I free myself from this place I will not hesitate to kill you along with the rest."
Satisfied, he released her and tossed her away from him across the hard floor. He listened with no small amount of satisfaction to her painful gasps for air. She was only the first to feel his wrath. Eventually they would all die by his hand, as slowly and painfully as possible. No one betrayed the Lord of the Western Lands and survived.
Finally able to breathe, the girl turned on him with eyes that flashed brilliant red. Rubbing her throat she got to her feet and glared down at him. He returned her glare in full, not the least bit intimidated.
"You will regret doing that," she hissed through clenched teeth.
"If you want that little brat they brought in with you spared I suggest you modify your attitude. Her life is in my hands. How and if she survives depends entirely on you."
Sesshomaru tried to keep his face calm and impassive but the wench had been watching him closely. The smirk that slowly spread across her ruby lips suggested that she'd seen some flicker of emotion pass through the icy depths of his glare at the mention of Rin. Trying to regain the upper hand, he dismissed her comment and casually re-adjusted his kimono to cover his bare chest.
"You are a fool if you believe this Sesshomaru will be swayed but such idle threats. I do not break so easily wench."
Despite his words, the she demon smiled broadly.
"Think it over Sesshomaru. I'll be back tomorrow. We'll see how you treat me then. If you're well behaved I might even let you see her.”
“The Lord of the West…" she cooed to herself as she glided out the door, "brought down by a human brat… It's almost laughable!" She dissolved into the shadows of the hall but her laughter lingered, ringing loud and clear in his ears.
"I hope you laugh as hard when I tear out your throat," he threatened just before the heavy metal door shut out the light once more.
Resting his head back against the wall he pulled in a deep breath and tried to calm his inner beast. The fury raging inside of him now was like nothing he'd ever experienced before. The flames seemed to lick at the very edges of his sanity and he was almost thankful for the chains shackling him down. Without them he would almost certainly have lost himself to it already.
It took a great deal of effort but he managed to force his anger down long enough to allow his clear, logical mind to take control.
So…Rin is alive, he mused quietly before bowing his head to think. Perhaps there is hope yet.

Author's Note: Three cheers! Sesshomaru has returned! You guys don't really think I would have killed him off do you? Now I wonder how he's gonna get himself out of this one?
Please leave a review if you can. I'd love to hear from you!