InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 34 ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The firelight turned the wine swirling in Lady Reikana's glass the colour of blood as she tilted it towards the flame. She stared through the liquid thoughtfully as she mulled over what to do about the Lord of the Western Lands chained in her prison.
She hadn't told him the whole story when they'd first met. He had been delivered, along with his lands, to the North but it wasn't her father who sat at the head of the armies. The old dog had been dead for decades and since his departure she'd ruled as Lord of the Northern Lands.
It was somewhat surprising that Sesshomaru hadn't recognized her, but then a demon like him would hardly condescend to know his enemies so intimately. Draw swords, slaughter, ask questions later…that was how the West had always worked. She'd grown up despising the Inu Taisho and his kin.
Since she was old enough to thirst for power Reikana had dreamt of the day when she would hold sway over the Western Lands. Her father had died a failure, a martyr for their cause, but soon he would be vindicated. Soon the West would fall and the North would have its long awaited justice at last.
Throwing back her head, Reikana downed the rest of the wine and tossed the glass into the flames. There was no time to enjoy her current victory; it was temporary and precarious at best. She had to find some legal means by which to make the Western Lands her own. A coup hardly seemed like grounds for a permanent transfer of land ownership and she didn't have the military resources to defend her position should he escape. Sesshomaru was stubborn and resourceful; he would eventually find a way to free himself and the North would fall beneath his wrath.
So Sesshomaru… How do I get you to give me your land without putting up a fight? 
Reikana pondered this question silently as she distractedly combed the glossy ebony locks that fell across her shoulder.
I could arrange a marriage alliance between our two tribes…, she thought.
He would never agree to it of course, but perhaps there is a way I can persuade him. 
If she was right, the child would be enough leverage to force the dog's hand. Her ruby lips curved upwards into a malicious smile as the gears turned inside her head.
Taking the Lord of the West as her mate would be detestable, but she could hardly deny that there were certain…benefits to such an arrangement. Despite his heritage, Sesshomaru was a beautiful specimen and would make an ideal mate. Together they would create an indestructible pack, one bred from the blood and strength of warriors. With such leaders at its helm, the North would never be conquered again.
Wearing a satisfied smile, Reikana rang the tiny silver bell sitting on her side table. A serving woman quickly entered the room and bowed low to her.
"Yes my lady?"
"Bring me the girl," she commanded in a cold tone. The woman nodded and hurried out, only to return moments later dragging Rin along at her side. She deposited the human child in the centre of the room and abandoned her to the mercy of her master.
Rin stood tall and proud and her eyes held no fear when they met the demon's piercing gaze. She'd had years of practise conversing with demons so did not fear Reikana as other human children might have.
As she waited in silence, Rin allowed her eyes to drift with admiration over the demon's elegant robes. When they met her face she couldn't help but let out a tiny, disappointed sigh. It seemed such a shame that someone wearing something so beautiful should have such a pinched and angular face.
Reikana stood slowly and folded her hands behind her back. She circled the human slowly, her sharp dark eyes assessing the girl. Finally she stopped in front of her and stared hard, her brow crinkling with confusion.
"Well, I simply don't understand what he sees in you. However, that's his business. Sit." She motioned to a second chair close to the fire and the girl hastily climbed up into it.
The two sat across from one another in silence until Reikana spoke up, her voice coming out in a lazy drawl.
"Tell me human, why is it Lord Sesshomaru keeps you in his company?"
Without hesitation Rin replied, "Rin does not know."
Reikana didn't like this answer and her eyes flashed in anger. She wasn't accustomed to having her questions evaded. Realizing that she was dealing with a stupid human and a mere child at that, she decided to try a different angle.
"Why do you stay with him if he's a demon? Don't you know all demons are bad?"
Rin pressed her lips together as she thought of an appropriate answer. Finally she came up with one and smiled as she swung her feet beneath her.
"Rin knows all demons are bad but she likes Lord Sesshomaru and Master Jaken. They protect her from the bad demons."
Lady Reikana seemed to like this answer more than the last. She nodded her head slowly and smiled a little, her eyes flashing mischievously.
"And has he saved your life before?"
The girl nodded her head readily. "Oh yes. Lord Sesshomaru has saved Rin many times! He will always save me."
"I see. Would you like to see him?"
At the girl's nod Reikana stood in an elegant flurry of silk robes and motioned for her to follow. She didn't say another word to the human named "Rin" as they made their way down the deserted corridors that led to the prison. When the child finally spoke up to break the silence she had to bite her tongue to keep from laughing out loud.
"Lord Sesshomaru will save Rin and Master Jaken. He's going to take us home very soon. You'll see."
"How can you be so sure?" One angular eyebrow rose in question as she turned to face the girl.
"Because Lord Sesshomaru always comes for us."
The concrete loyalty and faith in the girl's voice was admirable, but her naïveté of her situation was laughable. Reikana couldn't wait to see the look on Sesshomaru's face when she brought the girl to him. What an excellent blow to his pride - to be emasculated in the presence of his human charge.
With a quick chant to release the barrier around the door, and a pull on the creaky bolt, she opened Sesshomaru's cell and ushered Rin inside.
He sat stoically in the exact position he'd been in when she left him - with one knee drawn up and his arm resting casually over it. He eyed them both when they walked in, his eyes flashing pure malice when they met Reikana's.
Rin quickly ran over to him and stood obediently at his side. She kept her hands folded behind her back and playfully rocked up and down on her feet.
"I am glad to see you are well my Lord. Tell me, when will we be leaving?" Sesshomaru glanced at her momentarily before turning his gaze back to the woman who was watching his every move.
"Soon," he replied firmly, leaving no question of his intentions.
Reikana 'tsked' from where she stood and looked at the girl with mock sympathy.
"Shame on you Sesshomaru for getting her hopes up. She'll be long dead before you ever get out of here. You see child," she said turning to Rin and kneeling down, "your Lord Sesshomaru is my prisoner. He doesn't leave until I say he can."
The girl's mouth hung open in surprise as she looked between the two demons. Lord Sesshomaru had never lied to her, but she wasn't blind either. She could see the chains that held him down the same as any other.
She looked to him hopefully before asking, "Is this true my Lord?"
Jaken likely would have bopped her on the head for that one. She stepped back when she heard a low warning growl emanate from her Lord's chest. He didn't answer her, but his silence confirmed her fears. The woman with the cold eyes and pinched face was telling the truth.
Rin hung her head and the hope faded from her eyes. She'd never seen her Lord Sesshomaru defeated. Without his strength she felt vulnerable, like she had during those long, lonely days before he'd entered her life.
"Rin. Leave us."
It was Sesshomaru. His voice was cold and stern, yet somehow the sharpness of his tone was reassuring. He was himself again!
With a quick nod she shot him a small, hopeful smile before showing herself out of the cell. She waited for Lady Reikana in the hall and listened closely as the woman spoke privately with Sesshomaru.
"What do you want?" he demanded.
"Well it's certainly good to see that you're more talkative today. That girl does wonders for your personality!"
After another threatening growl from the dog demon Reikana laughed lightly and continued on.
"The way I see it, once I let you out of here there's nothing to keep you from stealing back your lands. Obviously we can't have that, so I think it would be best for both of us to enter into an alliance; a marriage alliance."
"Best for you, you mean." Sesshomaru pointed out blandly. Reikana put a hand over her heart in mock surprise.
"You wound me with your accusations Sesshomaru! This would be an excellent arrangement for both of us! I will have your lands and you will have the girl. I'm not forcing you to comply. You can refuse," she wagered with a graceful sweep of her arm.
"By all means, stay here in this stinking pit for eternity and I'll kill the girl. Or, you could agree to my terms, try to double cross me and I'll kill the girl. It makes no difference to me. Where I come from, one dead human is the same as any other. Apparently you do things differently in the West though…"
Sesshomaru glared coldly at the demoness with hatred burning brightly in his eyes.
"This Sesshomaru will not be swayed but such idle threats," he bit out tersely.
"Filthy human lover!" she spat angrily.
"You're a disgrace to the rest of the dog demon breed! Like you're father, you aren't fit to rule the Western Lands!"
When he chose not to respond to her accusations, Reikana turned heel in a huff. She spun around once she was back in the cavernous hallway and eyed him down.
"I'm going to give you a day to think it over. Marry me or the girl dies, it's your choice."
With those final resounding words the large metal door slammed shut, sinking the dog demon once more into darkness.
By tomorrow, the Western Lands will be mine! Reikana rejoiced silently.
Author's Note: So does anyone else out there want to give this Reikana girl a smack? (puts hand up) Well this chapter certainly upped the ante a bit ne?
Will Sesshomaru give in and marry the snooty witch to save Rin or will he somehow find a way to escape before tomorrow?
Please leave a review if you can :) Cheers!