InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Incomplete ❯ Chapter 36 ( Chapter 36 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Under the cover of darkness, a lone figure slipped through the shadows of the deserted hallway. With her back pressed flat against the stone walls, she shuffled her bare feet soundlessly along the richly carpeted floor. She'd been wandering for nearly three quarters of an hour in search of her destination. By the grace of the gods she'd somehow thus far gone unnoticed, but she knew her luck wouldn't last long. It was only a matter of time before a guard or some wayward servant spotted her and all hell broke loose. She had to take care of this and fast.
Rounding one last corner she finally spotted a wooden door embellished with a golden door handle. She remembered it distinctly from her first day as a prisoner in the palace and knew that behind that door was where the object of her desire lay. It took everything within her not to bolt right for it. Instead she sucked in several deep, soothing breaths and continued her painstakingly slow journey along the wall until she finally was able to turn the handle and slip inside.
Shutting the door softly behind her she leaned her back against it and let out a giant sigh of relief. "Who's there?" a squeaky high-pitched voice called out into the dark. She did not answer at first, deciding instead that it would be best to reveal herself. The moment she stepped into the dim arc of light cast off from the fire, the small toad-like demon whose room she'd invaded gasped in surprise.
"Rin! What are you doing here?" Jaken questioned her, his mouth hanging open as he gaped at her incredulously. He was certain she'd been killed! A great wave of relief washed through his tiny green body but he would never admit to the human child that he had feelings for her of any kind. Realizing that she could still be caught and executed for escaping, he began to wring his hands with worry. "They'll kill you if they see that you've left your room!" He chided her, shaking one extended green finger at her.
Turning away Jaken began to pace back and forth across the floor, beads of sweat glistening across his brow. Lord Sesshomaru will have my head if anything happens to her! After several moments of humming and hawing and wringing his hands in front of his stubby body, Jaken pushed Rin towards the door. Being the stubborn girl that she was, she held fast and refused to move until he heard her out.
"Master Jaken, you must listen to me," she implored. "Lord Sesshomaru needs our help." Jaken finally stopped pushing and stood still with his arms crossed in front of his chest.
"Well go on you silly girl! What is this nonsense you speak of?" Jaken tapped his fingers impatiently against his arm as he waited for her to speak. He was utterly convinced that she was the most spoilt human he'd ever met and he was certain he spent far too much time indulging her.
Swallowing down the lump of anxiety in her throat, Rin grabbed Jaken by the shoulders and drew her face into his for emphasis. "Lord Sesshomaru is a prisoner here too, I saw him! The leader of the Northern tribes says that unless he marries her, she'll kill us! We have to help him escape! Rin doesn't want to die!"
The toad demon squinted at her suspiciously, but after a moment he realized that even though she often had elaborate daydreams, this certainly sounded like the truth. Though the very idea of his master as a prisoner was almost inconceivable! Lord Sesshomaru would never bend to the will of the North! If she's right about this…that could mean the end for both of us! Jaken trembled in fear at the thought. If his master was anything, he was proud and callous. He didn't need them, nor did he care for anyone but himself. His pride would be their undoing.
"Come Jaken, let's go. They'll discover that we're gone soon," Rin urged him from the door.
"Right you are Rin!" Grabbing his staff of two-heads, Jaken followed the girl stealthily out the door and down the hall.
Without making a sound, the duo made their way towards the stairs which led to the dark underbelly of the palace where the prison was housed. The stairwell itself was pitch dark and the pair took their time gingerly making their way down the slime covered stone steps. The pair finally came to a halt once they reached the cell containing their Lord Sesshomaru. Rin motioned silently for Jaken to be quiet and reached up to draw back the bolt. She was instantly shocked and thrown back by a light blue barrier surrounding the door.
"That's right. I remember now…the demon lady said some kind of spell before she opened the door," Rin thought aloud as she shook the tingling sensation from her hand. She looked through the dark to her companion for help.
"Master Jaken, do you think you could use the staff of two heads to open the door? It breaks barriers doesn't it?" The green imp thought it over for a moment before quickly shuffling over to stand in front of her. With an encouraging nod in her direction he stamped the staff into the floor and aimed it at the barrier. On cue, one of the ghoul heads opened its mouth and let out a fiery stream of energy which surrounded the door for a brief moment before dissipating with a soft 'pop'. His mission accomplished, Jaken stepped back and pushed Rin towards the door once more.
Reaching out tentatively, she squeezed her eyes shut and gingerly grabbed hold of the bolt holding the lock in place. When she didn't receive another painful shock she smiled at Jaken and they both sighed with relief. With a groan of effort she drew the bolt back and stepped forwards as the door swung open to let her in.
Inside the cell Sesshomaru stood facing them, with his back against the far wall. Considering he'd been holed up in a dank cell for several weeks he didn't look too worse for the wear. Jaken could have sworn a wash of surprise travel across his features when he saw them enter, but within a blink his face was as stoic as ever. Only a slightly raised eyebrow greeted him as he drew closer.
"Lord Sesshomaru!" Rin cried out excitedly as she bounded into the dank cell. "We have come to rescue you!"
"Rin, this Sesshomaru does not need rescuing," he replied in a curt tone. "You must leave at once."
Rin's steps skidded to a halt and she gaped up at him in shock. Didn't he want to be rescued? Was he going to sacrifice her so he wouldn't have to marry the demoness? Didn't he care about her at all? With her head hanging low, Rin hid her eyes beneath the thick fringe of her bangs and started at the floor. "But Lord Sesshomaru…Rin does not want to die!" She muttered sadly as she fidgeted anxiously with her robe.
Sesshomaru's face contorted into an expression of shock, but the girl couldn't see it with her averted eyes. Jaken saw it though and he wrung his hands as he awaited his master's next words. But it was Rin who spoke next, not Sesshomaru. Feeling as if she had to explain her actions she gulped loudly and glanced up at him tentatively.
"I-I heard what that woman said to you. Lord Sesshomaru does not give into the demands of anyone!"
The dog demon stared at incredulously without saying a word. How could she think that I would let her die for my pride? After a moment of strained silence he glanced away from her. "Rin, you should know better than that by now," he chided with a stern but not unkind voice.
With a soft gasp of hope she looked up at him with a smile. "So does that mean you will come with us?" Her hope faded once more when he stubbornly shook his head 'no'.
"I cannot leave. You must go with Jaken and find Inuyasha's group. They will take care of you until I come for you."
Though the offer of freedom was tempting, Sesshomaru refused to sneak away in the middle of the night like a dog with its tail between his legs. Whatever the Northern Tribes had planned, he would face it head on. Besides, Rin and Jaken would have a better chance of slipping away into the night without him by their side. As much as he detested his half-brother, he knew that his companions would take care of his charges until he could come for them. At the moment, it was the safest place for them to be.
He had the urge to reach out and touch Rin as she turned to leave but held back. He knew that it could very well be the last time he ever saw her alive, but he could not will his arm to move. As he watched her back fade into the shadows of the hall he called out to her. She turned to glance back at him over her shoulder, a tiny smile fleeting across her lips.
"Yes my lord?"
"I won't be able to protect you should you find yourself in danger. You must follow Jaken's orders and obey him." The girl nodded understandingly before she bowing and skipping out into the hallway.
"Jaken."
Even though Sesshomaru only uttered his name, Jaken immediately understood the weight of the command. He was to protect Rin with his life or he would lose his own. With a nod of acceptance, he bowed reverently to the Lord of the Western Lands and stepped out into the hall to join Rin.
Sesshomaru watched them leave, and felt the closest thing to pride that he would allow himself to feel. Rin's loyalty would never cease to amaze him. Now that she and Jaken would be out of harms way he didn't have to hold back any longer. Cracking his claws he smiled to himself as the heavy metal door shut out the light once more. The tell-tale grind of metal signified the bolt being drawn and locked back into place and a shiver of delight passed through his body.
Let the carnage begin.