InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Just Roomies ❯ A Day In The Life ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Author's Note: Ha, thanks for all the reviews.. I know I suck at writing right now. It's a little awkward.. I'll get back into the swing of things. THANKS EVERYONE.

This chapter is going to be a view into the lives of Kagome and Inuyasha during their month apart.

Chapter 36: A Day In The Life

Inuyasha stepped out of the plane onto the bridge connecting the plane to the airport. He pulled his small carry-on bag behind him and walked solemnly into the Korean airport. As he headed towards Baggage Claim he watched as lovers called out to one another and reuniting tenderly in sweet embraces. He longed for Kagome to be waiting there for him, but it was only an empty hope. His eyes lay on the conveyer belt before him, but visions of Kagome's smiling face was all he could see. He pulled back to Earth by a hand resting on his shoulder.

“ You ran off so suddenly.” It was Kanna, the woman from the plane. She smiled kindly at him, but for some reason he could see little life her eyes.

“ Sorry, I just had to get off the plane. I hate flying.” He mumbled as he stared back at the empty conveyer belt.

“ I figured as much, you said little more than 30 words the entire flight.” Kanna noticed Inuyasha's melancholy demeanor and cleared her throat. “Let's go get something to drink. It'll be a little while until they unload our luggage.” Inuyasha followed Kanna as she rambled on about what he should expect at work and about the town. “After our luggage gets here I'll show you to your flat. It's only a few blocks from the offices well within walking distance.” Kanna's words floated past him and she was beginning to get a little frustrated. “Are you really this quiet? I'm sure you'll cause little trouble at work, you don't say a damn word…” Inuyasha perked up and took a sip from his cocktail before speaking.

“I'm sorry. I'm pretty much out in space right now. I left a girl back in Tokyo.” Inuyasha spoke candidly. “I wanted to marry her.” A small smile grew on Kanna's face, `Finally, he's actually speaking in complete sentences.'

“What happened? If you don't mind me asking.” Inuyasha took a deep breath before he could speak about the events still painfully fresh in his mind.

“I loved her. I do love her. Let's just say I'm an asshole and a coward. I never got to ask her to marry me.” Kanna placed a hand over Inuyasha's causing him to blush. “I feel like I'm made the biggest mistake in my life by coming here.”

“Of course you do. You'll make it up to her.. If she truly loves you, she'll wait. Things have the strangest way of coming together.” Kanna placed a generous tip on the bar counter and stood up. Inuyasha followed as they made their way back to the Baggage Claim. “What does your luggage look like?”

“Damn it..” Inuyasha cursed. “I sent my luggage ahead of me. What the hell am I still doing here?” Kanna laughed heartily before interrupting.

“It's all right. I see my things. We'll share a cab and I'll show you to your place.” Inuyasha thanked the woman for her kindness.

After retrieving Kanna's luggage they took a cab to Inuyasha's new apartment. It was lavishly furnished, but had a very boring and lonely feel to it. On the floor lay cold white marble with black rugs beneath the glass dining room and breakfast tables as contrast. The apartment had one large master bedroom with a sleek black dresser and armoir, white king size bed, plasma tv mounted on the wall across from the bed and a walk in closet. The attached master bath had a large shower done in black marble with a built in bench, double sink and a large spa bathtub. There was also a library in the apartment with shelves of law books, a large dark wooden desk with a laptop sitting open on top. The cold feel to the apartment left Inuyasha if possible even more home sick than before. It may not have been obvious to Kanna, but the only color within the apartment was the numerous fruit baskets in his kitchen and two brown boxes filled with clothes he sent from home.

“ The company loves to ensure its interns receive the best while in Seoul. It's a very relaxing environment don't you think?” Kanna looked at Inuyasha for approval, but received a less than convincing nod. “Well, I guess I'll leave you to it. I'll give you a ring tomorrow to see how you're adjusting to your new place…Bye.” Kanna exited and Inuyasha locked the door behind him. He was alone. Utterly and hopelessly alone.

///////

Kagome walked into her apartment, her lips still tingling from the kiss she had received hours ago from Inuyasha. It left her breathless and yearning for more. She fell back onto her couch and closed her eyes. `At any moment he'll come through that door and tell me he needs me and couldn't leave.' After banishing those thoughts from her head, she listened to the sounds in her apartment… there were none. She had never felt so lonely in her life.

Each day following his departure caused Kagome to see him stronger. She couldn't bring herself to even think of his name, it made her miss him even more.

“ Kagome.. Hello?” Jakotsu snapped his fingers in front of Kagome's face. “Hun, you've been folding that same shirt for the past ten minutes.” Jakotsu wasn't blind, he could see Kagome's pain when she saw couples come into the store and when she got into those day dreams of hers.

“Sorry.” Kagome blushed, she couldn't allow her work to deteriorate because of her personal problems.

“I know some guy must have been a real jerk to let you go.. but that Hiten guy has been coming here quite often to see you.” Jakotsu winked and Kagome snickered. “Hun, you got him wrapped around your little finger. He's a pretty sweet piece of-“

“ JAKOTSU!” Kagome screeched. She laughed a bit and shrugged. “He's good looking, but I don't feel ready to date. Inuyasha and I have only be apart for a month.”

“ Inuyasha's his name?” A light seemed to illuminate Jakotsu's face. “So THAT'S the jerk that's got you all bummed out.” Kagome blushed slightly.

“In all technicality I walked out on him.” Kagome hung her head slightly before masking her pain with a face of feigned joy.

“I can tell you're still really into him, but he's gone now, you gotta see other people. If you don't go out with Hiten soon I will.” With a timing so impeccable Hiten strolled through the door with a bouquet of white and yellow daisies. “Speak of the devil.” Jakotsu whispered to Kagome before nudging towards Hiten.

“Hey. These are for you.” Hiten offered the flowers to Kagome who smiled and accepted them. “I know you're busy with school and work and stuff, but I was wondering if you wanted to go to dinner..” Hiten waited for Kagome to make an excuse, but none came. “Maybe on Friday we could go somewhere?” Kagome smiled awkwardly and nodded.
“That sounds nice.” `Come on girl, you gotta start moving on.' “I'd love to have dinner with you.” `Love to have dinner, Kagome, now you look too eager.' Kagome's self inflicted mental chastising continued until Hiten spoke.

“That's great! You won't regret it!” Hiten kissed Kagome's cheek before bolting out the door.

“Oh my God.” Jakotsu chuckled. “I think you made him the happiest guy on Earth.”

As the weeks rolled by Kagome found herself seeing Hiten more often, for coffee, for a little snack in between classes but only once for dinner that Friday weeks before. She hoped seeing Hiten would make her miss Inuyasha less.. it had the opposite effect. Often she silently wished it was Inuyasha sitting across from her and smiling at her, not Hiten.

//////

Weeks began to blend for Inuyasha, sleepless nights weren't uncommon for him. Knowing his Kagome was so far away, living life, possibly seeing other people kept him tossing and turning all night. Dealing with the stress of classes at the local university at night and the internship during the day wasn't helping either. Most of the time Inuyasha found himself in a daze staring blankly at the computer screen in front of him at work or at blank sheets of paper at school. Kanna had become an indispensable friend during the past weeks in Seoul. He had to hand it to her, she was an ear for when he needed to gush about Kagome and offered kind words when needed.

**Ring**

`Speak of the devil.' Inuyasha thought to himself. “Hello?”

“You are totally going to love me!” Kanna said with an excited tone. “We're going to Tokyo. I arranged for a `business trip' to Tokyo for a week. So now you can see your sweet Kagome.” Inuyasha's eyes widened with surprise.

“You are the best Kanna. When we get to Tokyo I'm taking you two to dinner. I want you to meet her. She's going to absolutely adore you! Buy a new dress, I'm paying. I'll make dinner.. No I'll order in.. When do we leave?” Inuyasha felt his heart would explode with joy.

“I've sent a private car to get you. Go outside, it should be there by now. We're taking the company jet.” Kanna heard Inuyasha's phone fall from his hands and heard excited yells.

“Thank you so much Kanna! You're the best! I gotta go. I see the car. Bye!” Inuyasha said in a single breath before hanging up.