InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome, The Prized Possession ❯ Caught in the rain ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 3: Caught in the rain

"I'm not much for horror," Kagome was telling Sesshomaru as he held the door for her as they left Barnes and Nobles. "I mean, I-"

Kagome suddenly felt drops of rain on her forehead and she frowned.

Shit, Kagome thought. Of all times for it to rain...it had to be this time. I finally found something to say to Sesshomaru...and this shit happens! Guess I've always been this unlucky. Hopefully, it'll just drizzle like it's doing now and not get all heavy.

"I try not to put," Sesshomaru began as the door closed behind him, "to put stories in categories. A story is a story is it not? I think of stories as life. We are the authors; and the actors and with anything there is always something unexpected that happens."

Kagome pursed her lips suddenly when she realized that it was raining even more so and there was nothing she could do about it, but get soak and wet or leave Sesshomaru.

It's not polite to tell someone you have to go home in mid-sentence... I like this jacket and the rain is...well...

"Sesshomaru," Kagome looked up at him and their eyes suddenly met. Looking into his gold eyes was too much for even her for to bear. Kagome brought her head back down and said softly, "it was nice meeting you, but it's raining-"

"Yes," Sesshomaru said briefly as he looked up towards the clouds to notice the rain was falling as well. "It's April so rain isn't unusual at this time."

Kagome stood there with Sesshomaru by her side, her lips twitched but no words seemed to be coming out.

I have to tell him that I have to go home before I'm drenched!

"Are you leaving?"

Kagome looked up at Sesshomaru, and in his eyes there was a hint of disappointment to be found that made her feel a little uneasy.

It's nice to be able to meet new people. Sesshomaru is a weird one, but...

Sesshomaru opened his umbrella over Kagome's head; he used it to guard her from the rain as he was getting drenched himself.

"S-Sesshomaru," Kagome's face reddened a bit as she took the handle to the umbrella to hold it up herself. Kagome stood there after saying his name totally not expecting what he had done. Thinking that is was the nicest thing anyone could do for her at such short notice, "Arigato."

Sesshomaru nodded his head and pulled the zipper up to his leather jacket even more to block the rain from damping his chest.

That was so sweet of him, Kagome thought. He really didn't have to do that.

"It's dangerous so," Sesshomaru walked up ahead as Kagome was still dazed. "I suggest you be with someone who can protect you at this late hour."

Protect me? Kagome looked puzzled, I can handle myself. Besides, no one is here but us. I can't imagine something jumping out and skewering us. Maybe, it is better that it ended this way; Sesshomaru leaving like he did. It was so nice of him to give me this big black umbrella at the cost of him getting wet.

Kagome stood there holding the umbrella, hearing the sounds of the rain hitting it above her as she watched Sesshomaru walk away, and then suddenly turn around.

Oh, Kagome grimaced. I wonder what's wrong.

"Kagome is it," Sesshomaru called. He didn't shout at all, Kagome was able to hear his strong and deep voice clearly.

"Hai," Kagome then asked, "Something the matter?"

Oh, maybe he wants his umbrella back, Kagome made a face. I shouldn't put him in the nice category as of yet!

"Why aren't you with me," Sesshomaru asked as a cold wind blew by that even made Kagome shiver.

With you? Kagome eyes widened.

"We just met, of course we can't date," Kagome answered.

Sesshomaru only smirked as he said back, "I'm starting to doubt that you were accepted at NYU by that response-"

"I was!" Kagome got defensive.

"In any case," Sesshomaru continued as he then looked away himself when saying just then, "I said you should be with someone who can protect you at this late hour. That's why I also asked why you aren't with me."

It finally processed into Kagome's head what he just meant after staring at him with a blank expression.

I have a brain the size of a WALNUT! I am beginning to think that maybe NYU made a mistake as well.

Kagome slowly walked towards Sesshomaru so that they were side by side now.

"I blame it all on the weather," Kagome began as they walked. "I am usually more attentive. I have NO idea why I feel strange next to you...um...where are we going?"

"To your house," Sesshomaru said shortly.

Kagome suddenly clamped her hand to her mouth, to keep her from protesting. Coming to her house was an absurd suggestion being as though they've only me. Kagome slowly pulled her hand away from her mouth, Sesshomaru couldn't see because the umbrella did a good job at blocking it.

Damn it, Kagome was in a silent rage. Come to my house for what? I hope he doesn't think I am some Barnes and Noble whore he can fuck and leave in a dumpster somewhere. There's no need to react. Just tell him how you feel.

"Listen," Kagome began softly.

"Yes." Sesshomaru stopped walking to face her.

Kagome was puzzled, "W-why did you stop walking?"

Sesshomaru shrugged, "By the tone of your voice I have a feeling you want to tell me something important so I thought it would be polite."

Kagome frowned.

Sesshomaru, Kagome was a little embarrassed. I don't think he's the type to do that.

"Well," Kagome closed the umbrella so she could see his face without leaning up, "Coming to my house is too early-"

Kagome looked at his hair that was dripping wet over his leather jacket, and then she saw his golden eyes that seemed to light up his whole beautiful face, his lips looked soft and smooth as if ready to be kissed.

Look at those lips; he looks like some super model!

"My intentions were to walk you to your door," Sesshomaru was saying, "some how you are getting bad vibes from me. I don't want to make you feel strange. If you want us to go our separate ways it is fine. Oh, and of course you can keep the umbrella."

I am such an idiot. He's been such a gentleman so far. Some women never get the chance to be walking next to such a gorgeous man. Inuyasha is gorgeous to, and seeing him with no shirt was...great. I wonder if Sesshomaru's chest is smooth like his.

"I'm sorry Sesshomaru," Kagome could feel the water falling onto her face now, but she ignored and continued to speak. "I haven't been next to someone strong and handsome like you in quite a while. I know we've only met and we're not going to get married or anything, but I am a little on guard with men. I'm the immature one here. I should be walking here by myself. Everything is just me. Oh dear, I'm so embarrassed for being so blunt."

Sesshomaru smiled briefly, it was a phony smile; one of those smiles you flash to people to make them feel a little easy.

He's smiling. It's over. He's going to call me a schizophrenic. I do it to myself all the time. I should have just visited Sango to see if she was ok instead of getting involved with a bunch of strangers. In my own defense, I did want to meet someone new, and Sesshomaru is new, but very different. Like I said, I am all dismantled from my last relationship. I don't know if I can even handle a male friend.

"I like someone who can speak their mind," Sesshomaru currently has his hands in his leather pocket looking away from her. "It's that very honesty that makes you different from the other girls I've associated with. However, all men are different, and I am certainly different from the one who put you on guard. Do you doubt that?"

"No," Kagome touched the tip of Sesshomaru's moonlight hair and found herself admiring the texture of it. Feeling the soft wet strands fall through her finger tips. Then it dawned on her...

I'm touching him...

Kagome quickly brought her hand away and laughed uneasily, "Sorry, I got carried away."

"I've had many women do that to me," Sesshomaru nodded his head towards the direction where they should continue to walk. They did start walking again as it continued to rain; they walked side by side, both getting equally soaked.

"Touch your hair?"

"They like it when it falls through their fingers," Sesshomaru nodded towards a bar that was down the block from them. "Let's go there. I will treat you."

"But we're all soak and wet," Kagome pulled her denim jacket slightly away from her as it seemed to stick to her chest. "Going in there like this, we'll wet the place up. I think home is the best place as of right now for me to go to."

"Would you like me to walk you still?"

"No," Kagome smiled warmly. "I can catch a cab or something at the corner. I don't need you to go through any unnecessary trouble."

"No trouble, but do as you will."

Do as I will? Kagome thought. I sort of like the sound to that. I don't know what I will. All I know is that I want to go home, and this rain has done nothing but kept me wet. I stayed a little bit with Sesshomaru, which was nice despite my telling him about my defense system towards men. Maybe I don't know anything about men. All I know is that they have a penis...that's all. I have to be honest, the weird sort of vibe past since he slowly grew on me, but one thing I can't realize is how some of his features remind me of Inuyasha. No, Sesshomaru is an individual. He's smart as well. Inuyasha would never be in a book store. That would be like oil and water, Ben and Jerry's ice cream trying to out do Haagen Daz...it's just not going to happen.

There was a good moment of silence between the both of them. They were currently standing by a street light on a side walk waiting for a yellow taxi cab to drive by. The rain seemed to have stopped for the most part, but they were still wet. Kagome could feel streams of water from her hair come down her face.

"What are you thinking about?" Sesshomaru asked.

"You actually," Kagome looked up at him. "I'm kind of sorry to end it like this you know. Had it not been this weather and everything we could've really had a nice time I suppose. I enjoyed myself with you for the most part at least."

"Can I be blunt?"

"Sure, be as blunt as you want," Kagome smiled brightly after her blessing.

If he tells me I had bad breath this whole time I wouldn't need a cab, I'd drift home on a cloud of embarrassment. I'd hide under my bed and like a mouse devouring a piece of cheese in the darkness. Or what if he says...

"That wasn't my book you picked off the floor. I lied."

Or he can confess a lie...as he just did now...

"It wasn't?" Was all Kagome asked.

Sesshomaru looked at the stars that seemed brighten the night's sky, "People drop a lot of things on the floor in Barnes and Noble. When you called me back I thought you were going to tell me how beautiful I was like most woman do. You didn't, you actually did something entirely selfless. You were someone I wanted to get to know."

"Oh," Kagome was speechless and she then began more slowly, "well, you are beautiful, but I don't need to tell you such a thing for you to already know. A guy like you is sure to have a girl friend.-"

"A guy like me," Sesshomaru looked disappointed by her response, "why do you say that?"

"Maybe I was trying to ask you if you had a girlfriend, but didn't want to come out too casual on the question."

"There is someone in my life," Sesshomaru began slowly.

Yea, it's not a surprise...

"She's seven years old," Sesshomaru finished. "She is my adopted daughter Rin."

Good thing he finished the sentence after he said `seven years old' or else I was just going to keep walking and add him to the list of BIG MISTAKES.

Kagome nodded smiling warmly, "Is she a handful?"

Sesshomaru smiled brightly suddenly, "The best thing that entered my life. I was very lonely then. I own my own business and it ties my hands but I'll always have time for her."

Now that, that's been said...I wonder what's going to happen now. Kagome grimaced.