InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Kagome! Where are you?! ❯ Dinosaur world: day 1 morning ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Kagome! Where are you?!

Chapter 10

Dinosaur world day one: morning.

Corrected by Angelica Birmingham
_____________

from chapter 9:

The setting is beautiful.

She stares at it, lost in its splendor.

He bumps her. "You wanted to do something."

"Ahh, yes. Thank you. I...." She shakes her head and brings up the camera and takes pictures. "You know, Sesshomaru, I'm going to have to remember the way that cube is setup now. My brother will absolutely want to come here. Before, Inu-yasha showed up, he loved dinosaurs." she says as she snaps off pictures.

She lowers the camera.

"I don't have that many exposures left, but, I think I'll use up a roll here. My mother is going to love these pictures. I can't wait to see her painting of this sunrise. And my brother will love some pictures of real life dinosaurs."

"You have never explained to this Sesshomaru how you know where this is. You mentioned that we were millions of years in the past. That doesn't make sense. Explain."

Kagome looks at him. "So, you want an explanation about dinosaurs. Ok." She shakes her head. 'How to start, and where to start?' she thinks. Her eyebrows furrow.

"Sesshomaru, did you remember to grab my shoes?" She wiggles her sock- covered toes.

He doesn't say a thing.

Kagome looks upset as she grits out the word, "Great . . . "

'I've got a pair of house slippers and a pair of wooden sandals in the bag, but that's it.' she thinks.

Kagome's _expression brightens, "Ok. Sesshomaru, If you could please bring me down the hill and to the cave. I'll need to grab by bag and then you can take me back to that river."

"This Sesshomaru thought you were going to explain about where we are, not order him around."
Kagome sighs. "I can talk and explain as we move, Sesshomaru." She glances at him.

He hasn't moved. "Ok. I want to go to the river for two, no three, reasons. I need to find my shoes. And, it's been at least three days since I've bathed. I'm dirty and I stink. These clothes are filthy and stink. I can bathe, clean my clothes at the river, and talk to you at the same time."

"Yes, your odor is offensive." he says, as he grabs her and takes her down the hill.

'Do I yell at him about being polite?' she thinks. She shakes her head. 'Not yet. All he'll say is that he's not going to waste politeness on a human. When he starts being polite, then I know I've gotten through to him.'

"Lord Sesshomaru. I'm going to ask this of you." Kagome looks back at him and says before she enters the cave.

He barely nods.

"I would like to save my food, in case of an emergency." She spreads her hands at the forest. "I would like to eat some of the fruits and nuts here, but, I have no idea which, if any, are poisonous. So, could you please use your senses to tell me which I can eat?"

He doesn't move.

She smiles at him, thinks, 'he didn't say no,' and bows her head saying, "Thank you, Lord Sesshomaru."

"You will, of course, pick them."

"Of course, Lord Sesshomaru, that went without saying."

Kagome smiles, enters the cave and comes out with her bag. Her new sword is strapped, awkwardly, to her waist. 'That looks horrible on her.' he thinks.

"I'm ready." she says.

He approaches, growls at her, and grabs her by the waist. "What!?" she cries in surprise.

"If you are going to wear a sword, at least wear it properly." He adjusts the sword to his satisfaction.

"Oh!" she says. 'Yes, that would be important to him.' she thinks.

"Ready?" He grabs her by the waist, forms his cloud and begins to lift off before she can reply.

"Yes!" she exclaims. "At least give me a little warning, please."

"The explanation."
"Oh, yes. Here it goes." she pauses as she arranges her thoughts.

"The world is very old, Lord Sesshomaru. It is hundreds of millions of years old, not the tens of thousands that you were taught."

"So, you are saying my mother and father . . . "

She interrupts him, "No, they taught you what they believed to be correct. In the future we know more and discovered more about the history of the world."

He grunts, but doesn't say anything.

"The scientists in the future . . ."

He interrupts her, "A scientist is?"

A pause. 'How do I explain?' she thinks. "A scientist is a person that tries to discover more about the world, people, or anything they can think about."

"A philosopher in other words."

"Not quite. A scientist is more concerned about how to make things work. while a philosopher just wants to know about things."

He raises his eyebrow, but says, "Continue."

"As I was saying, the scientists in the future discovered bones buried deep within the earth. They dug up the skeletons and put them together. The skeletons were of creatures that had never been seen before." She waves her hand at the dinosaurs below them.

"If they were buried in the earth, why were they not discovered during my time, or even before?"

"Umm, I think they were, but, they were called dragon bones, I think. Or some other fictional monster."

"Dragons are not fictional, woman."

"I know that, Lord Sesshomaru. But where and when I come from, they are considered fictional." She smiles at him, "Even dog demons are considered fictional."

He growls. After a short pause, Kagome continues. "The skeletons were of giant lizard- like monsters. They named them dinosaurs. The word means something like great lizards."

"The language used, is it that English you've mentioned?"

"No. It's Latin . . . or was it Greek? No, Latin. Anyway, the scientists determined, by studying old bones, and other things dug up, that dinosaurs walked the earth between 65 million and about 250 million years ago."

"How did they determine that?"

Kagome's mouth opens up and she closes it. 'How do I explain radiocarbon dating to him?' She shakes her head. She sees the river quickly approaching. "Can we find my shoes, first?"

'Ahh. A question she cannot answer, good.' he thinks as he surveys the area.

"That is where those giant lizards rushed out. You were next to them." he says as he points and moves in that direction.

He lands on the riverbank. There is a cleared beach-like area of between forty to one hundred meters between the river and the start of the forest. The beach is covered in a pebbly gravel, rather than a true sand. 'It must be summer. The river is falling from the spring floods.' he thinks. 'That is why there are no trees here.'

"I can't see them, Sesshomaru, can you?"

"No." He sniffs. "Move away." She does. He sniffs, again. He walks down the beach a few meters and points. "There."

She finds her shoes, embedded in a dinosaur footprint. A tight smile appears on her face and she traces the footprint with one hand. 'I wonder . . . ' She stands up and looks around at the forest.

"Beautiful." she whispers as she stares at the woods.

"Woman, I asked you a question."

"Yes, about dating. Hmmm . . Lord Sesshomaru." She shows him her shoes. "If I had waited, say, a week or so before asking you to find these, could you have found them?"

"Woman, I do not see where this is going."

"Please, I'll explain in a couple of minutes."

"Very well. Yes."

"It would be harder, right?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Woman . . . "
"Please, lord Sesshomaru." she begs.

"The smell would be faded more."

"Yes, that's what I thought. Ok, and here's my answer to your question about dating, then. The scientists, through a process I can't describe, find a.. I'm going to call it an odor, but it's not, ok?"

She looks at him. No response. "Ok. They can determine how strong it is at present and they already know how quickly it fades from existence. They also know how strong it was when the dinosaur was alive. By using all that, they determined the age of the dinosaurs."

A pause, then he says. "Continue."

"Well, dinosaurs, since they lived for so long a period of time, grew into many different shapes. The flying ones, like the ones we can see here are called, Pteranodon's, I think. The giant meat eater from yesterday is called a Tyrannosaurs Rex."

A pause as she looks around, "There should be a giant plant-eating one. It looks something like a water buffalo, but it's bigger and around its head is a huge bone plate. And sticking out of the plate are three very long horns. It's called Triceratops. The dinosaur books always have a picture of the T. rex and the triceratops fighting in them, somewhere."

"There were hundreds of different ones, Sesshomaru. Some of them as large as, or larger than any dragon or creature that I've seen during my travels with Inu-yasha."

"If they are so powerful, why are they not alive now, where this Sesshomaru would know of them?"

"The scientists aren't sure, Lord Sesshomaru. I think, the theory is that a giant meteor hit the earth and they died off as a result of that."

"Meteors do not cause damage."

"Sesshomaru, sir, a meteor is rock falling from the sky. If you were to take a rock the size of that mountain." she points to the mountains, "And drop it from the sky, it'll cause damage right?"

"Yes, but."

"No, buts, Lord Sesshomaru, there are meteors that big or bigger and when they fall they cause massive damage."

"Hmm. I see."

"I could go on about the types of dinosaurs if you want, Sesshomaru, sir?"

"No need, woman. The story you're told explains all I need to know."

He looks at her.
She looks back and whispers, "You don't believe, do you?"

"I believe that you are telling me the truth, as you understand it, woman. Whether or not you were taught the truth is a different question."

Kagome stares at him, 'Why he is so distrustful?' she thinks.

She, drops her shoes, reaches out and grabs his hand. His eyebrows raise, but he doesn't pull back his hand.

She swallows, "You know, Sesshomaru, I've always thought that Inu-yasha's mother was a good, if not great, mother."

He growls and begins to pull back his hand. She squeezes, hanging onto the hand. She takes a step closer to him, so they are standing with only centimeters between them. "I'm sorry, Lord Sesshomaru, but until just now, I had not thought about it from your point of view."

She takes a deep breath, "And if she caused you to be this distrustful of humans, then, then, I might be wrong about her. Since if she was as good a mother as I thought . . . "

He yanks his hand from her and pushes her away. She stumbles and falls on her ass. "Ouch!"

"You know nothing about what you speak, whore of my half-demon brother." he says in a low and stress filled voice.

Kagome, her face flushed with anger, stands up. She, in a calm fashion, brushes off her skirt and walks to Sesshomaru. She stands with her face to his chest and stares up at him.

Anger shines in her eyes as she says in a low, but controlled, voice, "You know nothing about what you speak either, Lord of the Western lands."

Sesshomaru can feel power grow within her. He can see her power begin to dance in her eyes. 'The only time I've seen anything like this was staring into my brother's eyes during battle.' he thinks.

"Since I offended you by mentioning Inu-yasha's mother, you have my apology." Kagome continues, still in the same tight controlled voice.

Her voice changes, becoming harder, fiercer, "I am not Inu-yasha's whore, nor am I anybody's whore, Lord of the Western lands."

Her hair begins to fluff out and begins to twist and move, even though there is no wind. "I expect and demand an apology."

Sparks of power dance along her skin. In the distance both of them can hear dinosaurs roar in the distance, reacting to her power.
He stares into her eyes. 'She is not what I expected. She is something more. Perhaps, I let my experience with Inu-yasha's mother prejudice me against her.'

She glares into his.

He dips his head, saying, "Higurashi Kagome, you were correct, I do not know much about you and, due to that, I made an error."

Her power fades. She allows a small, if brittle, smile to grace her lips. "Thank you, Lord of the western lands. I think we both made statements we regret."

He nods.

She sighs, "I would like to do something more than just a simple apology, but what? If I offer to make you breakfast, you'll refuse." he nods. "So what can I offer to make amends?"

A pause. "The offer is sufficient, human. There is nothing this Sesshomaru needs or wants from you." a pause. "No, that was incorrect."

"What, Sesshomaru?"

"You can bathe and remove your stench."

"Hhrrmmpphh." She twists around away from him, so he can't see her grin. "Ok, then." She goes to her bag and starts going through it, taking out her bath items.

She goes to the edge of the river and starts to unbutton her shirt. She twists and looks at him. He is looking at her. "Well, leave, so I can undress and bathe."

"Woman. By your knowledge, you know that this is a dangerous world, correct?"

"Yes."

"Since this is a dangerous world, you, being the weaker of the two of us, need protection, correct?"

"Yes."

"Then, this Sesshomaru will stay here and guard you."

"Can't you stand at the edge of the woods, please?"

"No, there could be something in the water."

"I was in the water yesterday without any problems."
"Only for a short time and only when there was a large disturbance in the river as well."

"Please, turn around, please, so I can bathe."

His brows furrow. "Why? Have you forgotten that we've sleep together the last three nights? I've seen and felt you naked, so why should I turn around and place you in danger?"

"Why?" She opens her mouth. "Why? Because it isn't right, that's why!"

"No."

She closes her mouth with a snap. "Ok, then." she grumbles under her breath. She goes to the bag and takes out a couple of small pieces of cloth. She enters the river, still clothed.

He raises his eyebrow, 'Bathing full clothed? That's stupid.'

She starts to undress in the water. But as she undresses she also seems to be putting something on. 'Strange, what is she doing?' he thinks.

She steps out of the river, her school uniform in her hands. She is wearing a two-piece swimsuit. "Let me spread these out and grab my soap, then."

"You had special clothes for bathing, but you still wanted me to leave?"

She blushes, "Well, I got this for the boys, you never could tell when they'd spy on us."

"I am not spying on you."

She twists her mouth, "No, you're worse. You're standing out in the open staring at me."

He growls, "My brother and the monk are not this Sesshomaru. I do not suffer from their perversions."

"No. I don't suppose you would allow yourself that." she says. 'But . . . I've felt him against me. He's lying. My body does affect him.'

She sighs, shakes her head and reenters the water.

He watches her bathe. 'Odd items and odder items . . . exactly what is in that soap she's using. It is not the harsh lye odor I am used to.'

A noise from the forest attracts his attention. He turns to face the woods.

'More noises from the forest. Strange noises. Feet . . . many different voices. Many different sounds, a language?' He moves closer to the forest.

"Sesshomaru?" Kagome calls from the river.
"Stay there and be quite, woman. I'm hearing something." he says in a distracted voice.

Sesshomaru is standing about ten meters from the ancient primeval forest.

SPLASH!

'Distracted, fooled like an idiot!' Sesshomaru thinks as he turns and runs toward the river.

"Help!!" Kagome yells from the river . . . then "bbuubbbbleee . . . "

The end of chapter 10 .

What has happened to Kagome?

Thank you for reading jeff shelton