InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Mysteries ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This fanfiction is based on “Inuyasha”, copyrighted by Rumiko Takahashi. No infringement of copyright intended or implied.
 
 
Mysteries
 
As the remnants of the youkai rattle down the shaft, I steel myself. The--power--in the well shifts. I am a newborn sucking at mother's teat. I am begging death for release from my timeworn, aching body.
 
The sensation fades. As always, the villagers are totally oblivious. The headman smiles at me and thanks me for my skill. I nod, and indicate I have another errand in the forest. They leave, understanding, of course.
 
Bow in hand, I walk towards the other mystery. His silver hair is always the first thing I notice. His feet no longer touch the ground; so many years have passed.
 
And I wonder why.
 
Why did he attack the village? Why did he attack my sister? For months he had tarried, harming neither my sister nor anyone else. Why the sudden change?
 
Why did my sister seal him? Why did she not simply slay him?
 
Why does the well gobble the bones and make them vanish? Why does it age no more than the boy does? I wonder--are they linked, somehow?
 
I shake my head, irritated at the questions that always gnaw at me, here. The seal is intact, that is all I came to check. I turn around. I am not my sister, involved in mystery and terrible power. I am merely a village miko--and content with that. Why worry over unanswerable questions?
 
Why do sometimes I feel that one day I will have answers, with the well's help?
 
Bah!
 
What foolishness!
 
 
**************************
 
Author's Note: This drabble was written for the Issekiwa community on LiveJournal. It was originally posted on October 2, 2008.