InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ Monster At the Door ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This fanfiction is based on “Inuyasha”, copyrighted by Rumiko Takahashi. No infringement of copyright intended or implied.
 
The Monster At the Door

Five days after Kagome disappeared forever, Mrs. Higurashi answered the bell. Sliding the door back--

--She froze. A monster stood before her. Blood-red eyes with turquoise pupils glared at her. Fangs jutted from grinning lips, which disappeared into folds of thin, mottled flesh marked with jagged blue lines across each cheek. An unseen darkness swirled around the bent figure like some invisible, malevolent dog, snarling.

She started back and slammed the door. What was that?!

A cracked, wheezing voice swore. "Damn it! Baka! Why'd I forget--Mrs. Higurashi, please--don't be afraid! It's me--Inuyasha!"

What?! Hesitantly, she slid the door back again. This time, she spotted the two, unmistakable white ears. A tattered scarf was in one hand, and red could bee seen through the rents of dark, worn, shapeless clothing. "Inuyasha?" she whispered, stunned.  "What's happened to you?"

A faint echo of his old smirk flashed across his face. "Keh. Too many centuries of living." Shifting his weight, he winced, leaning heavily on what must be Tessaiga, fumbling with a bag. "Just--wanted to bring you something," he muttered. "Had to wait...until she left..."

"Not now." Tears stung her eyes as she stepped forward and touched his shoulder, ignoring the stench that had been half of that menacing aura. "You're coming inside, taking a bath, and having a meal."

He tensed. "I don't want charity--"

"It's not charity!" she snapped. "You're family! You married Kagome, didn't you? Now come along!"
* * * * *

Cleaned up, the aged hanyo sat at the kitchen table, sword across his lap. Sitting on the other side, she sipped her tea, waiting. She was surprised when he pushed the plate away, still half-full. "Are you sure that's all you want?"

"Yeah." He started to reach for the bag.

"Wait." He paused. "How long have you been homeless?"

His shoulders hunched. "Mostly since a building fell on me during the war," he said finally. "Sesshomaru saved me, but by the time I recovered and left the youkai enclave, the war was over, and my lands were confiscated. How could I get compensation without establishing identity, and how do I do that, being hanyo? I didn't dare try, not with those damn, nosy Americans running things."

"You couldn't stay with Sesshomaru?"

He grimaced. "He'd've let me, but damn, there were so many challenges, so many plots against him ... most youkai still despise hanyo as much as ever."

"Oh, Inuyasha."

He shrugged. "I've had a good life, with Kagome, and after, watching over the family. This last bit..." he met her eyes. "She never asked me, but I knew she hoped, that if I lived long enough, I'd come back and tell you about our lives." He grimaced again. "My human side hasn't been strong enough--my youkai blood's taken over, but Tessaiga keeps me sane."

"Then, you'll stay here."

"I--Mrs. Higurashi--"

"Mama." She stood up to walk around the table. "You're not leaving while I still have questions to ask. Besides."

He gave her a wary look. "Besides?"

She smirked and reached for his head. "I've always loved your ears."

"Keh."