InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Little Bits ❯ When it Changed ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: This fanfiction is based on “Inuyasha”, copyrighted by Rumiko Takahashi. No infringement of copyright intended or implied.
 
When It Changed
 
She mused, sometimes, how different her life would have been, but for the trail she'd taken that morning. The trail she wouldn't have taken it if hadn't led away from the villagers and into the woods her caretakers feared. The woods she wouldn't have been attracted to if she hadn't been hungry. The hunger she wouldn't have felt if they hadn't chased her from the garden where she was trying to gather a meager breakfast.
 
The woods had filled her needs. Wandering, full and contented, curiosity had drawn her to investigate an odd, gasping noise. She had peeked around a tree--and stared.
 
Wonder had filled her, followed by sadness, for the beautiful being sprawled on the ground was bloody and battered. Had he, too, had been attacked by bandits? Though he must be much strong than her family, having survived.
 
She had flinched when he snapped his head up and hissed at her, red eyes glaring. But when he fell back, panting once more, his face beaded with sweat, she knew what it felt to be fevered and in pain. She remembered being afraid, wanting to help, gulping hard, and walking up to that uncanny being--
 
--And dumping water on his face.
 
He had started, staring at her with those blood-red eyes before looking away. Crouching there, staring, awed and determined to keep this person alive, not knowing that she should have fled in terror...
 
The orphan child's fate forked, and all unknowing, she took a different trail...
 
*************
 
Author's Note: This drabble was written for the Issikewa community on LiveJournal. It was originally posted on November 27, 2008, for the `Trail' theme.