InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ One More Day ( Chapter 11 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story. You will find both of their fics here at MediaMiner. You should check them out if you haven't already.
 
For responses to your reviews, check out my LiveJournal at doggieearlover.livejournal.com/158951.html .
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 11: One More Day
 
Kagome woke up unusually early Saturday morning and couldn't go back to sleep. Souta had to go to school until around noon, but she had the day free as far as classes at the college went. It didn't take long, lying in her bed, before she realized the problem was that she was too excited to sleep. Giving up on any hope of it, she threw the covers back and headed to the bathroom. After returning to her room and dressing in jeans and a tank top, she went downstairs to find her mother making Souta's breakfast though he hadn't come downstairs yet.
 
“Good morning, Dear. Would you like a fried egg this morning?” Mama asked.
 
“Thanks, Mama,” Kagome replied as she poured herself a bowl of cereal to go with it. “I think I'll go ahead to the dojo this morning if you don't have anything you need for me to do.”
 
“I've already taken care of the grocery shopping. Are you certain you don't want anything special for your birthday?” her mother responded.
 
Kagome was glad that her mother was facing the stove and didn't see her cheeks flame up. What she wanted, her mother couldn't give her. “No, Mama, not really. I'm not even excited about going out with the girls tonight. And don't forget I'm going to bring Sango home with me this afternoon. We probably should eat something before we go out since Eri sometimes forgets about the basic necessities, like food.”
 
“You really don't have much in common with them anymore, do you?” Mama asked as she placed the plate with her egg in front of her. “And Sango seems like a nice girl. I'm glad you invited her.”
 
Kagome sighed. “I've known her such a short time, and we already seem to have more in common than the friends I've had for years. They don't know me at all anymore. I don't think they even try to.”
 
“It's part of growing up. You have different interests now, and it's natural. Sometimes it's best to just move on. It's okay to tell them `no,' you know, if you don't want to do something with them. It's been a long time since they actually asked you what you want. They're taking you out to celebrate your birthday, and they still haven't asked what you would like to do. Kagome, if you're not having a good time, don't be afraid to tell them you want to leave. I know you don't want to hurt their feelings, but it is okay to think of yourself for a change,” Mama said wisely.
 
“Okay, Mama. I'll try to remember. At least Sango will be with me.” Kagome rose from the table and took her bowl and plate to the sink and washed them. As she placed them on the drain board, she added, “I'm going to head out. InuYasha said they had a number of new students coming to test this morning, so I'm going to see what I can do to help.”
 
“Why don't you take the car today? I won't need it," Mama offered.
 
“Thanks, Mama,” Kagome said as she gathered stuff to take with her. “I'll see you sometime this afternoon.”
 
 
By the time she had reached the dojo, Kagome had decided she would ask InuYasha about something she felt on Thursday. She didn't understand it and wasn't even certain that he would, but she had to tell someone. She was somewhat disappointed to see that Miroku's car was already in the parking lot when she arrived. Any thoughts she'd had to steal a few moments alone with InuYasha went right out of her head. Still, knowing that it was too early for them to be at the dojo yet, she went through the gate and followed the path to his house.
 
She slid the door open and called out, “InuYasha?”
 
“We're in the kitchen, Kagome. Come on in,” the hanyou answered.
 
Leaving her bags and shoes in their place, she made her way towards them.
 
“Good morning, Kagome,” Miroku said, looking up from his cup of coffee. “What brings you out so early?”
 
InuYasha was pouring her a cup of coffee and set it in front of her as she sat down at the table. “You are early today. Is anything wrong?”
 
“No, I just wanted to see if you needed any help this morning. I heard you say you have a number of new students coming that you're going to test,” she said. “And then there was something else I wanted to talk to you about.”
 
Miroku and InuYasha exchanged a look of concern. Neither of them wanted Kagome to tangle with the ookami youkai. However, she caught it and stared at her mug. “I understand. I can't help you with anything like that.”
 
“No, Kagome, that's not it. These students, well, they're not exactly normal,” Miroku said.
 
“What do you mean?” she responded softly.
 
“Do you remember what I told you about Kouga at the tournament?” InuYasha asked. “You remember him, don't you?”
 
Kagome's eyes opened wide. “That he's youkai. Not only that, he brought youkai to the tournament. Is that what I was feeling Thursday?”
 
InuYasha choked on his coffee at that statement. The feelings he remembered from Thursday had nothing to do with the wolf demons.
 
Miroku rose to pound him on the back. “Are you all right?”
 
The hanyou's eyes caught Kagome's, and she suddenly realized what he was thinking. Her cheeks turned pink as well.
 
InuYasha sputtered but finally said, “Thanks, I'll be fine. It just went down the wrong way. What do you mean, Kagome?”
 
“I felt something I couldn't explain at the tournament, but I didn't realize it was the same feelings I had again Thursday until just now. It was so much stronger on Thursday…” she started.
 
“Like what?” Miroku prompted.
 
“Well, part of it made me want to be wary, like there was something with power nearby. I used to feel it around InuYasha, but I guess I became so accustomed to his presence that I haven't thought about it in a while. Plus, his always felt warm to me, like something good. This didn't feel evil, but it didn't feel totally right, either. Then when Kirara let me hold her, I felt it again. Except I would swear that it was stronger, and hers was more like InuYasha's - like there's some force for good there. Does that make any sense? Or am I nuts? No one else seems to notice anything.” Kagome looked at the two of them and then at her cup of coffee. She was waiting for them to tell her she was kind of crazy.
 
“She really doesn't know, does she?” Miroku asked.
 
InuYasha shook his head. “Maybe you should try to explain.”
 
“What? What's wrong with me?” Kagome said almost frantically.
 
Miroku shook his head. “Kagome, there is nothing wrong with you; you have the spiritual powers of a priestess. That is what allows you to detect the auras of youkai around you. That's why you felt what you did at the tournament and then again on Thursday evening. There were a number of demons here that evening.”
 
“You mean… that can't be true, can it? I thought spiritual powers were only in myths and legends,” she whispered.
 
“Like hanyou and youkai?” InuYasha prompted.
 
Kagome sat back in her chair and just stared at them.
 
“You know how you told me a long time ago that people were always asking for you to attend blessings at the shrine?” the hanyou asked gently.
 
Kagome nodded.
 
“That's probably because blessings you participated in actually carried some real luck with them,” Miroku interjected. “Word spreads of that kind of thing.”
 
“But… I don't know, I mean…” Kagome didn't even know what to say.
 
“Kagome, you have a very large amount of spiritual energy contained within you, just like the monk here,” InuYasha said.
 
“You… but… but you left the monastery, didn't you?” Kagome asked.
 
Miroku got up and went to the coffee pot without responding.
 
“I'm sorry, Miroku. I didn't mean…” she said worriedly.
 
Miroku sighed as he sat back down. “Like you, I was weary of being included in every single blessing and ceremony that took place. When I was able to get out to attend college, I found a happy medium in teaching about Buddhism but not being the center of attention all of the time. I wanted a more normal life, just like you.”
 
Kagome nodded in understanding. “So, you feel it, too. The youkai, I mean.”
 
“Yes. Now that you know, you'll start to pick up more around you. Most demons are not evil, and you'll be able to tell if they are,” Miroku offered.
 
“Like Kirara? You mean she's really a demon cat?” she asked. “Does Sango know?”
 
“Kirara is youkai, but as you felt from her, she's a good one. I told Miroku the other night that we won't tell Sango what she is unless it becomes necessary. Otherwise, we'll let Kirara reveal it to her when and if the time comes. For now, just let Sango believe that she's a cat with two tails and nothing more,” InuYasha answered.
 
“All right, I understand. It probably would be a bit much to digest,” Kagome said.
 
“And I hope you understand that we don't want you to help test the ookami youkai this morning because of what they are, not because you are lacking in any way,” Miroku said.
 
“I see,” Kagome said as she stared at her mug of coffee again.
 
“Miroku, would you go and unlock the dojo? We'll be over in a few minutes,” InuYasha asked.
 
“Sure thing, InuYasha. Kagome… well… I'll let InuYasha try to explain.” Miroku put his mug in the sink and left them.
 
When he heard the door close behind him, InuYasha scooted back from the table. “Come here, Kagome.”
 
Surprised, she went and sat on his lap, and he wrapped his arms around her. “Kagome, you have to understand that the ookami youkai play by a different set of rules. Kouga taught them mostly to use their brute strength and not actual skill. On top of that, everyone who came Thursday was male. I don't know exactly how to tell you this without being crude, but they would look as defeating you as an excuse to rape you. They would be even more likely to try it if you defeated them, because it is their way of forcing submission. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you?”
 
Kagome caught her breath as the seriousness of what he was telling her. “You mean… they… oh… So it's not a lack of skill on my part?”
 
InuYasha shook his head. “If you lacked skill, I wouldn't be officially asking you to teach with me as of tomorrow. Miroku and I will have to come up with a special set of rules for the wolf demons as it is. You must follow my instructions not to engage any of the males. If they bring any females, then it will be a different matter. But no matter what do not let any of the males talk you into sparring with them.”
 
“All right, InuYasha. I understand,” Kagome said, somewhat relieved. “And before I forget, Sango wanted to ask if she could see more of the property when she's here today. I told her I would ask if I could show her the pond and garden. I think she really misses her home, and this reminds her of it.”
 
InuYasha considered her question before he replied, “If you promise me you will stay on the main path and not wander off. Now that you know there really are youkai, you should also know there are a few that live out there. They won't bother you as long as you don't get too adventurous.”
 
Kagome kissed him on the cheek. “Thanks, InuYasha. She seems so… alone… I think she really will appreciate it.”
 
“You know you should go out and watch her train when she comes so you can see what she's doing. Since you'll be teaching with us, you will need to learn everyone's routines even if you aren't working with them directly,” the hanyou suggested. “And I guess, we'd better go,”
 
“Okay.” Kagome sounded disappointed.
 
“Hey,” InuYasha said softly. When she looked at him again, he leaned forward to capture her mouth with his for a soft and gentle kiss. When they parted, he rested his forehead against hers. “Better?”
 
“Much,” she answered with a smile.
 
 
Miroku backed silently away. They were so wrapped up with each other they hadn't noticed he'd come back to tell them that the wolves were already arriving. He was grinning as he jogged back along the path to the dojo.
 
 
“Do you feel that?” Kagome asked as they walked out of the house.
 
“Keh, we'd better hurry,” InuYasha said. He didn't mention that he could smell them as well. He also was glad he didn't have to explain why he suddenly asked her to sit in his lap. She was now bathed in his scent, and the wolves would know they'd better keep their hands off, not to mention he had enjoyed it while it lasted.
 
The hanyou was stunned at what they found upon entering the dojo. Instead of the half-dozen or so students that were there on Thursday, there were closer to thirty along with their parents though it was mostly the mothers. “Kagome, would you go to the office and get my clipboard for me?”
 
She nodded and hurried to put her gear away. Entering his office, she grabbed InuYasha's clipboard for him. Spotting Miroku's on the other table, she went ahead and picked it up, along with a couple of pencils as well.
 
“Thanks,” InuYasha told her as he took both of them from her. “You can go and change, but remember what I told you.”
 
Kagome nodded and started back towards the ladies' dressing room.
 
InuYasha ended up allowing Kagome to help him after all though it was to take notes as he had the students either spar with each other or Miroku. It took nearly the entire morning for them to get through all of the wolves. When they had tested the last of them, InuYasha asked if they could all return the following Saturday. Then he would explain how they would be matched, and since there were so many, they would work with them to see what fit into everyone's schedule. The adults quietly thanked him as they filed out and disappeared.
 
The hanyou heard the door open and felt the presence of more youkai. “Miroku, I think we have a few more visitors.”
 
“Why didn't they come with the others?” he wondered out loud.
 
“Kagome, I think we'll need you this time,” InuYasha said. She had already started putting everything back in its place and was on the other side of the floor.
 
She rejoined them to see five females cross the floor towards them: two of them mature, and three girls.
 
All five of the youkai bowed to them when they reached them, and Kagome found their eyes glued on her.
 
“May we help you?” Miroku asked, breaking the silence.
 
“Do you know anything of ookami youkai ways?” the one who appeared to be the oldest of the group asked.
 
“Yes,” InuYasha answered. Noticing how they were staring at Kagome, he added, “She was not allowed to spar with them and will not be.”
 
There was a collective sigh of relief from the five. “Then you understand why we did not come with the others nor wish for our cubs to train with Kouga any more.” The one that was acting as their spokesman was looking InuYasha in the eye again.
 
“We do,” the hanyou said. “And you are aware that humans do not practice the same… techniques… for submission, and neither do I. However, if you are interested in joining us, your girls can spar with Kagome to test them as long as they remember she is only human. She is skilled but does not have their youkai strength.”
 
The young ookami looked at their mothers and nodded.
 
 
Kagome was exhausted by the time she had sparred with the three, but she had managed to defeat all of them. In spite of their strength and speed, they had very little actual skill. As they traded blows, she was able to determine their weak spots fairly quickly and pin them. Each time, she helped her opponent to her feet and then bowed. By the time she sparred with the last one, the girl actually gave her a small smile. Kagome smiled in return, and then they bowed to InuYasha as he approached them.
 
“I've seen all I need to see for today,” InuYasha said. “I know youkai schools keep a somewhat different schedule, so if you'll come back next Saturday morning and bring it with you, we'll plan your training classes for you. Would you have any problems with Kagome teaching your girls?”
 
“No, Sensei,” they answered in unison.
 
“There is another training floor here; so even if they come at the same time as the males, they will not be in contact with them. It would be better if they could come in the morning because there will be more humans here in the afternoon once their school lets out. Is that acceptable?”
 
“Hai, Sensei” they answered.
 
“Kagome, would you like to show them the ladies' locker room?” InuYasha asked.
 
“Of course.” She bowed to him. “Follow me, please.”
 
Once the youkai had cleared the floor, InuYasha went to his office with Miroku behind him. The hanyou had barely sat down when Miroku said, “There's something you're not telling me.”
 
“Sit down, Miroku. I had intended to, but I didn't expect so many to show up today. Kagome's birthday is tomorrow. She will be of age, and I'm asking her to officially be an instructor here.”
 
A broad grin crossed Miroku's face. “All I can say is that it's about time! She already knows, doesn't she?”
 
“What makes you say that?” InuYasha asked.
 
Miroku had to think quickly. He couldn't exactly tell him he saw InuYasha kiss her that very morning. “She didn't seem surprised at all that you are going to let her teach three wolves alone.”
 
InuYasha nodded. “I told her when I walked her home Tuesday night. She stopped and starting crying on the way, and thought I was going to tell her to not come back anymore. I had to tell her.”
 
“Why in the world did she think that?”
 
“She thought I was angry with her.” InuYasha was going to make him pry this out of him.
 
“But why? I can't recall you ever getting mad at her for anything, except when she overdid it and hurt herself.” Miroku sounded truly puzzled.
 
The hanyou glared at him before answering, “Remember Monday morning?”
 
Miroku tried to remember what had happened on Monday. “Oh. But you got that straightened out?”
 
“Yeah, I did.”
 
“Good. She will be an excellent teacher.”
 
“I agree. Now enough talk. We've got the regular classes this afternoon to deal with,” InuYasha said, ending the conversation.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kagome was very grateful to her mother for letting her have the car as she drove herself and Sango home Saturday afternoon. She was exhausted. After she had helped all morning with the new students in one way or another, InuYasha sent her out with Sango to watch her work out when she arrived early afternoon. Kagome had to admit that she was impressed that Sango could throw that thing more than a couple of meters.
 
“Thanks for showing me the garden and pond this afternoon, Kagome. It was beautiful,” Sango said, interrupting her thoughts.
 
“I was glad InuYasha said that I could. I always have loved it out there. One of these days I'm going to get brave enough… brave enough to ask him…” Kagome's voice trailed away.
 
“Ask him what, Kagome?” Sango prompted.
 
“There's a single stone marker out there in the flowers. It's really hard to see most of the time. I think it may be someone's grave, and I'm pretty certain he's the one that tends to the garden. He doesn't usually allow anyone else out there,” Kagome said softly. “I just wonder who it is, that's all.”
 
“Yeah…” was all Sango said, suddenly reminded of her father's cremation and burial. Changing the subject, she said, “I think Kirara had a good time, too. She seems to enjoy going.” She reached up to scratch an ear since the cat in question was riding on her shoulder, rather than in her carrier.
 
“She certainly is well behaved and seems to understand what you say to her,” Kagome commented. “I've never seen anything like it. Then again, when you see Buyo, you'll see why. He was fat and lazy before he was old. Well, here we are.”
 
Kagome pulled up into the driveway and parked. As she pulled her purse and gear bag out of the back seat, she said, “You know I almost wish I hadn't agreed to this tonight. I'm so tired from today. If I end up making an excuse to bow out early, you won't mind, will you? I don't know if I'll be up to staying out all night which is what Eri, Yuka, and Ayumi probably have planned.”
 
Sango shook her head. “No, Kagome, it's your birthday. I'll go along with anything reasonable. And I have to admit, I'm kind of tired as well. Throwing that boomerang always takes more out of me than I realize, and I was up early this morning researching some of my homework before I came.”
 
“Well, let's go in and see what Mama is doing. I guess I should figure out what I want to wear tonight, too,” Kagome commented.
 
Sango followed Kagome with Kirara still perched on her shoulder.
 
“Mama, we're here,” Kagome called as she entered the house and kicked off her shoes and Sango did the same.
 
“Hello, Dear. Have you two had any lunch?” Mama asked.
 
“Lunch? I forgot all about it! No wonder I'm so hungry. How about you, Sango?” Kagome responded.
 
“I ate before I went to the dojo, so I'm fine for now. But you go ahead. I wouldn't mind just sitting down for a few minutes and maybe having a cup of tea.”
 
 
The rest of the afternoon, what little there was of it, remained peaceful, or at least it did until Kagome's friends showed up.
 
They had arrived with a loud and noisy, “We're here!” as they stormed into the kitchen after Mama let them in. They came to a dead stop and complete silence when they saw Sango sitting at the kitchen table with Kagome.
 
Kagome made the introductions which were somewhat awkward. However, she was reminded of why she'd always like Ayumi as the girl smiled and greeted Sango warmly.
 
“Kagome, aren't you going to invite us up to your room?” Eri interrupted as Kagome was trying to explain that Sango was new to Tokyo and didn't really know anyone or where to go yet.
 
“Oh… um… well… okay,” Kagome stammered.
 
Eri led the way, carrying a box while Yuka carried a gift bag. Kagome looked somewhat amused as she followed them up the stairs to her own bedroom.
 
Once they were all in, Yuka closed the door. She opened her mouth but didn't get a chance to say anything.
 
“Happy Birthday, Kagome! We all chipped in together to buy your present,” Eri announced, thrusting the box at her.
 
“Thanks, guys. You didn't have to do that,” Kagome said. “I wasn't really expecting anything.”
 
“Go ahead and open it,” Eri ordered.
 
Kagome set the box down on her bed and ripped apart the paper. When she pulled the top off, she stared. In the box was a dress. It was very short, ruched, black spandex tube dress. “I… I… I don't know what to say,” Kagome said. And that was the truth; she didn't.
 
“Kagome, you're turning twenty. You need to show a little skin,” Yuka said.
 
Sango stifled a giggle, and Kagome turned red. “A… a… a… a little?” she responded.
 
“Here. This is supposed to go with it,” Ayumi said as she offered her the gift bag.
 
Kagome breathed a small sigh of relief. She assumed it would be a shawl or a jacket or anything to help cover a little more of her.
 
She was mistaken.
 
“Oh, my…” she uttered as she pulled out the contents of the bag. Instead of something to provide a little modesty, the bag contained a black lacey strapless bra and a matching thong. She didn't think it was possible to cover less skin than the dress did, but she had been proven wrong.
 
“Well, put them on. You'll need it for where we're going tonight,” Eri stated.
 
“Um… guys… where are we going? I was planning on wearing what I have on,” Kagome answered. She and Sango had both dressed in slacks with a lightweight sweater to wear.
 
“You won't be able to pick up any guys wearing that,” Yuka commented.
 
“I thought we were going out to celebrate my birthday, not troll for meat,” Kagome said offhandedly. “Maybe it would be better if you went without me. We're too tired to stay out very late anyway.”
 
Sango nodded in agreement.
 
“I told you we should have asked her first,” Ayumi said softly. “It's her birthday. We really should do what she wants to do.”
 
“We just wanted to have some fun,” Eri whined.
 
“I know, and I appreciate it. I'm just not into that scene,” Kagome responded. “I'd really rather go somewhere for a nice dinner and then call it a night. I've had a really long day.”
 
“Are you still pining over that Sensei you've been going to all of these years? If he hasn't noticed you by now, he never will,” Yuka told her.
 
“Leave her alone,” Sango interjected, though very quietly. “That was uncalled for.”
 
“Come on, we wanted to take you to 911. There are always hot guys there,” Eri interjected.
 
“No, I don't think so,” Kagome answered. “I really appreciate that you thought of me, but I'm just not up to it. You guys go ahead. You're dressed and ready for a night out, so go and have a good time. And thanks for the outfit. I'm sure I'll find a use for it.”
 
Sango chuckled, and Kagome looked at her, puzzled. “You should have had it the first day of Sensei Miroku's class. You'd have fit right in.”
 
That made Kagome laugh.
 
The other three were the ones who looked confused now, so Kagome explained, “We have a really hot teacher for our Buddhism class. The first day nearly every girl in the class was dressed like you guys are, hoping to attract his attention.”
 
“Did it work?” Yuka asked eagerly.
 
“No, he seemed to prefer Sango and me in our slacks and blouses. He asked us to stay after class. The others were a bit miffed about the entire thing,” Kagome answered.
 
“Are you certain you don't want to go out?” Ayumi asked. She could tell the other two were ready to get going.
 
Kagome shook her head. “Not somewhere like that. You guys go on. I think I'd rather have something like pizza.”
 
“Pizza? How about Italian? They have pizza on the menu at Taverna, and they have a great dessert menu!” Ayumi said excitedly.
 
“Dessert?” Kagome and Sango looked at each other and grinned. “Sounds good to me,” Kagome responded.
 
“How about it?” Ayumi said to Eri and Yuka.
 
“Busted,” Eri muttered. “We promised a couple of guys we'd meet them at 911.”
 
“Well, you go ahead and go. We'll go try this place Ayumi suggested,” Kagome said.
 
Yuka gave Kagome a quick hug. “Happy birthday, Kagome. I hope you have a good time.”
 
“Yeah, me too,” Eri said as she did the same. “Bye!”
 
The three girls watched the other two flit through Kagome's bedroom door as they left. Ayumi stood up and started to unroll her skirt at the waist until the hem was back at her knees. “There, that's better. Let's take the train. That way, if we want to drink, we don't have to worry about driving home.”
 
Kagome looked from one to the other. “What just happened?”
 
All three broke out laughing.
 
 
To be continued…