InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ False Hopes ( Chapter 36 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
 
The results of the voting at the InuYasha Fanfiction Guild are in. Minoue was First place in the Best Miroku/Sango Romance category and Second Place in both the Best AU/AR and Best Characterization (InuYasha) Categories. White Ribbon was First Place for Best Comedy, and Never Too Late was Third in the Best InuYasha/Kagome Romance category. I would like to thank everyone who nominated, seconded or voted for any of my fics. I really do appreciate your support.
 
 
Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one. For responses to your reviews, please check my LiveJournal at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/262834.html.
 
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 36: False Hopes
 
Kikyou was still seething about the events that occurred the previous day. She had gone along with all of Naraku's “games” as he liked to call them because she still had some thoughts of possibly landing him as a husband. So what if he was a little kinkier than even she liked in the bedroom? He was handsome, exuded confidence and power, and was extremely wealthy. Didn't all men like that have their secrets? After Sunday, though, she was starting to have second thoughts. She should have had some indication of the type of man he really was when he suggested buying a dog and having her fuck it like on those bestiality porn sites. At first she had thought he was kidding, but she went into a tirade about the hanyou and his dog ears to impress upon him that she wasn't interested. Now she was about ready to conclude that maybe he wasn't joking. However, she was still surprised when he invited his employee to join them though she was starting to realize she really shouldn't have been shocked about that, either. He had numerous toys he liked to watch her fuck herself with, so she should have known the next level would be another man. What was next? All of the men that lived downstairs? She liked having her fun, too, but that was taking things a bit too far.
 
The real estate agent had still been angry when the man named Bankotsu joined her in the master bedroom and stripped, informing her that Naraku said he was to “entertain” her. However, after her session with him, he was looking a little more attractive to her than Naraku. Bankotsu was handsome and apparently wealthy in his own right. Another plus was that he was better endowed than Naraku and seemed to enjoy his sex more the old fashioned way. He was adept at any number of positions, but he still tended to fuck her how women were meant to be fucked. Kikyou had just about concluded that Naraku liked to sodomize her in the mouth and ass because he wasn't as large as the average man and couldn't get off otherwise. Then again, he might just be a masochist since he really liked it when she used her teeth. Bankotsu didn't have any of the troubles Naraku did, and he actually went to the effort to make her orgasm, too. Naraku hadn't bothered to do that since their first few times together. After that, it was all about him. She decided the only reason he felt like he had a decent set of equipment the first couple of times was because she hadn't had sex in so long, and she wanted it to be good. But after that, his short-comings became more and more obvious.
 
`Short-comings.' That thought actually made Kikyou snicker. Maybe there was some truth to the “overcompensation” theory. Then she sighed. Naraku was used to getting what he wanted. She didn't know how she would get out of whatever else he might have planned for her. And at the moment, it wasn't looking that good.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kagome jumped up from her place at the table. “The Shrine!” she exclaimed.
 
InuYasha stood beside her. “I'll go with you.”
 
“Wait! I'm not finished yet!” Myouga shouted, hopping up and down on the table.
 
Sesshomaru looked contemplative. “That confirms what one of the guards called to inform me of Sunday evening.”
 
“You knew?” InuYasha glared at him. “Why didn't you say something?”
 
“I intended to as soon as Myouga returned and we met again. I did not expect for him to take so long to do so,” Sesshomaru answered. “My guards are still at the shrine, and I've doubled the number from dusk until dawn and told them all to be on the alert.” He looked at Kagome. “Your family is safe for now. Let us hear what else Myouga discovered while he was there.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome reluctantly sat back down before Myouga continued, “The one called Bankotsu said that he wanted to send another of the men to the shrine to scout out more information. He wants to know how many people are there during the day, who lives on the premises and that sort of thing, before they make their move. He mentioned one named Suikotsu. He said that he was good for gathering information such as that.”
 
“He has an easy way with people,” Kagura interrupted. “He was a doctor until he killed a man with his bare hands.”
 
“Why isn't he in prison?” Miroku asked.
 
“He was for a short time on manslaughter charges. They gave him a lenient sentence because of the extenuating circumstances, but they say he came out a very different man than the one that went in,” Kagura informed them.
 
“Extenuating circumstances?” Sango questioned.
 
“He was treating a boy that had contracted AIDS. When the kid's father was informed of what was wrong with him, he went into such a rage to learn that his son was gay that he murdered his own child right in front of Suikotsu. The doctor snapped and killed the man. He then called the authorities and waited for them to come. He pled guilty and accepted his sentence and was stripped of his medical license. Bankotsu was waiting for him when he was released. Apparently they had served in the military together somewhere. His men were always getting into scrapes and needing to be patched up from bullet or knife wounds, and he needed a doctor that wouldn't ask questions. Suikotsu had no where else to go, so he accepted. They've been together ever since.” Kagura fell silent.
 
They heard a tiny voice clearing his throat, and their attention was drawn back to Myouga. “Well, yes, and they were sending him to the shrine once he returned to Tokyo. Apparently a business acquaintance of Bankotsu had called and asked him to loan him the doctor for a few days, so he wasn't immediately available. Bankotsu was adamant with Naraku that he did not trust the others to go unnoticed and do only as instructed for the mission. They argued, but before I left the house they had agreed they would wait for his return. He isn't expected until later this week.”
 
Kagome breathed a sigh of relief. “So they're okay for now.”
 
“Yes, I'm certain that they are,” Myouga reassured her. “But there is something else that you should also be aware of.”
 
“And what would that be? Speak up, Jijii,” InuYasha ordered.
 
“I don't think that Naraku character is entirely human,” the tiny youkai answered.
 
“What?” the others asked together.
 
“Well, it's just his blood and his aura,” Myouga paused and wiped his brow.
 
“Aura? He didn't have one,” Kagura argued.
 
“Not when he's awake - he does a fair job of hiding it. No, it was when he was asleep it became noticeable,” the flea responded.
 
“Are you saying that he isn't human or what?” InuYasha interrupted.
 
Myouga answered, “I'm saying that I think he was, but that he's discovered some of the old dark magic and used it to make a pact with either one or more youkai.”
 
“Is that really possible?” Sango asked softly, wondering who or what they were really dealing with.
 
“I haven't seen anyone attempt it in centuries, but I'm afraid it is. The difficulty would have been finding the lower youkai willing to go along with it. There are very few left. However, upon completing the spell with even one, it would become somewhat easier to find other youkai to include, even if it were against their will. And if he is using such a spell, it's also quite conceivable that he is much older than he appears. Every time he finds another youkai to assimilate, it will make him look much younger again. Without him revealing the truth, there is no way to know if he has been doing this for five years or five hundred.” Myouga fell silent.
 
“Is it possible for him to… assimilate… higher level youkai?” Kagura asked hesitantly.
 
“If he became powerful enough, he might attempt to do so,” Myouga confirmed. “The more powerful the youkai he can absorb, the stronger he will become. It can become a never-ending cycle.”
 
Sango questioned, “So why is he after the Shikon no Tama?”
 
“I never heard him say, but perhaps the Lady Kagome could give us more information?” Myouga suggested.
 
Kagome frowned. “It's like I told you before - the Sacred Jewel is supposed to have the ability to grant any wish. It can also be tainted by evil. The wish doesn't have to be for good… That was why it was originally brought to the shrine for safe-keeping. My great-grandmother was very young at the time, but was supposed to have the most spiritual power seen in a miko for many generations. I just never really believed in any of that stuff. ”
 
“How would he even have found out about it? I don't understand how he was led to my family to begin with. It had not been in our possession for so long, and they were careful to not leave any records.” Sango looked perplexed.
 
“I have an idea,” Kagura offered. “Naraku was enthralled with the old legends of youkai and their abilities. He was always going to the libraries of temples or universities and going through their oldest records for information. He'd even go so far as to register as a university student to gain access to restricted materials. He never had any trouble getting in since often the smaller colleges held many of the ancient scrolls and journals from their region and did not have the competition for enrollment that the larger ones did. Plus, since he had access to a lot of cash, he could make whatever donation was necessary if they gave him any trouble, and they had something he thought he might want to see. In the end, he'd always get what he wanted. Somewhere, in some of those records, was information about the jewel.”
 
“Do you believe the Shikon no Tama has the power that they say?” Myouga asked.
 
Sango answered, “I don't know, but I wouldn't want to find out by someone like Naraku getting his hands on it. There must be a good reason why it has been protected all of these centuries.”
 
“Should I at least call Mama or Jii-chan and let them know what's going on?” Kagome asked in a worried voice.
 
InuYasha placed his hand over hers. “You know how your grandfather is. If he gets too upset and nervous, it'll probably make things worse.” He looked up to meet his brother's eyes. “Maybe Sesshomaru can increase and keep the guard number up until this is all resolved.”
 
“It will be done.” The Daiyoukai stood and pulled out his cell phone. He was already on it as he left them to make his calls.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Naraku had spent the day researching information on the Higurashis and their shrine. Among other things, he had found the announcement of the engagement of the daughter, Kagome, to the hanyou who was the half brother of the director of the National Art Museum. That article so kindly informed him about her entire family, so he now knew that she lived at the shrine with her grandfather, mother and younger brother. He continued looking, searching for pictures that were still available from the affair. He stopped when his eyes landed on one taken during the opening of the pottery exhibition at the art gallery. “I don't believe it,” he said to no one in particular. “You - so where are you hiding?” She wasn't identified, but he would recognize that face anywhere - Sango.
 
“Kohaku!” Naraku called out. “Come see what I've discovered.”
 
The boy entered the room so silently that he didn't hear him. “Yes, Uncle Naraku?”
 
“Look what your sister was doing while you were locked away. It appears she was having a good time while you were rotting away in that hospital.” Naraku chuckled softly as he pointed to the computer screen.
 
“Sister,” the boy whispered. “Where?”
 
“That's the million dollar question, but when we find her, you'll be the first to know,” Naraku informed him. “I know you can't wait to be reunited with her.”
 
“I…” Kohaku dropped his head and stared at the floor. “She doesn't want to see me. Isn't that what you said?”
 
“Yes, well, we don't really care what she wants, do we? It is what you want that is important. We will make her see the error of her ways. You can run along now.” Naraku turned back to his computer and continued his research. It was amazing what was available through the internet, once you had an idea of what to look for.
 
 
Kohaku made his way silently back to his room. Did his sister really hate him so much? It looked like she had moved on with her life without a second thought of him. Then again, considering what they'd told him he had done, he couldn't blame her. He still could not clearly remember what had happened that day, other than flashes that sometimes came to him when he was asleep. The most vivid picture was of the red paint that seemed to be everywhere. It covered the walls and the floors; it even stained the wooden furniture the men had been working on. He would see himself lifting something and then he would abruptly wake up, usually covered in sweat. The teenager sighed. It would be easier to face what he had done if he could remember even part of it. Right now it was difficult to believe he could have committed such a crime. Could he really have killed those people? Apparently his sister believed he had. She had not only moved but had changed her name so she couldn't be found.
 
Dr. Tsukino at the hospital used to tell him that Sango had called to check on him. She was worried about him and wanted him to get better. But then he left, and Kohaku had that new doctor instead. Dr. Kuromotou informed him that it had all been a lie, and it wasn't right for them to get his hopes up like that. He said that his sister had washed her hands of him a long time ago and wanted nothing more to do with him. It had crushed him to find that the elder sister he'd looked up to had disowned and discarded him like an old used piece of furniture. When Naraku came to take him away, he didn't even argue. He knew the man wasn't really his uncle, but it seemed like no one else wanted him. So instead of saying anything to the hospital staff, he simply walked out the door with him. And so, here he was.
 
He noticed that the door to Kanna's room was ajar and softly knocked on it. “Come,” he heard from inside.
 
“Kanna?” he questioned softly as he pushed the door open and entered.
 
“Who else would be here,” she snapped back.
 
“I… never mind,” Kohaku said as he started to back out.
 
The young youkai closed the book she was reading and sighed. “What is it, Kohaku?”
 
He timidly entered her room. “Do you miss your sister? Do you ever think she might come back?”
 
“I don't know if she's dead or alive,” Kanna answered. “I couldn't blame her for leaving me here if she is alive, though. I wasn't very nice to her.”
 
Kohaku sat down in a chair. “They said I tried to kill mine.”
 
“I might have killed mine. If I didn't, I hurt her really bad. She had been attempting to help me, but I went and did that. I didn't understand what she was trying to tell me until it was too late. And then we moved, so I don't know if she could find me if she wanted to.” Kanna fell silent.
 
“I hadn't thought about that,” Kohaku whispered.
 
“What do you mean?” the youkai questioned.
 
The boy stared at his hands in his lap. “My sister knew where I was when I was in the hospital. Once I left, she wouldn't know where to find me if she wanted to. Then again, after what they said I did, I couldn't blame her if she never wished to see me again.”
 
Kanna responded, “I don't really understand humans all that much, but I always hear them say that `blood is thicker than water.' I never even tried to understand that until Kagura disappeared. I may have been jealous of her, but she's still my sister, and I wish I could see her again. I've had a lot of time to think about that sitting around here and waiting. Do you have any idea what Naraku is looking for?”
 
“Some jewel that will give him unlimited power - I do remember that much from before. He wanted me to help him find it. I guess he still does, or at least that's the only reason I can figure out why he got me out of the hospital where I was,” Kohaku offered.
 
“Why were you in a hospital? You don't look sick,” the void youkai asked.
 
“They said I killed a bunch of people, including my father and everyone who worked for him. That was when I tried to kill my sister, but apparently I failed. I just can't believe I could do such a thing, but I was found at the scene with an axe in my hand. Sango somehow stopped me and then passed out. I just wish I could remember…” his voice trailed away.
 
Kanna shuddered. She remembered the photos that Naraku had used to threaten her with. “I wish I knew if Kagura was alive or dead.”
 
“At least I know mine is alive. Naraku just showed me a picture of her at some party. He said that he was going to find her for me,” the boy said.
 
“For you or for himself?” Kanna questioned. “If he's trying to find her, he must want something from her. I learned too late that he cares for no one other than himself.”
 
“What about that Kikyou woman?” Kohaku asked softly. “He seems to like her.”
 
Kanna shook her head. “He's using her, just like he used me.”
 
“What does he want with us?” Kohaku questioned. “Why does he keep us here?”
 
“He keeps me in case Kagura shows up. As long as I'm alive, she'll do as he asks. Why don't you just leave? What's keeping you here?” the young void youkai asked.
 
Kohaku sighed. “I have nowhere else to go. And since I can't remember killing Father and his workers, I'm afraid to. What if I hurt someone else? Naraku is the only one that knows what I did that doesn't seem to be scared of me.”
 
Kanna had no doubt that was true, but since Naraku was the reason the boy had killed those people, he had no reason to be afraid of him.
 
“Do you ever think we'll see any of our family again?” Kohaku had moved to stare out of the window.
 
“I don't know, Kohaku. I don't know.”
 
 
To be continued…
 
**************************
Feudal Association News
 
The Feudal Association is currently accepting nominations through Monday, September 15th. This group is different from others in that you can nominate both InuYasha fanfiction and fanart. It's also different because if you place, your banner is a piece of original fanart donated for that category. The group is a lot of fun and pretty laid back. The two mods are inufan625and InuGrrrl. You can find information at http://feudal-pulpfiction.net/fa/index.html on current nominations, rules, categories, the ineligible list, etc. To join, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FeudalAssociation/.
 
That said, thanks so much to Quirkyslayer for the nomination of "Ghost Busting, Feudal Style" to the Best Oneshot category. I also appreciate landofthekwt's attempt to nominate "White Ribbon" for Best Comedy, but it was ineligible.