InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ A Matter of Timing ( Chapter 35 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one. They do help inspire me to write. For responses to your reviews, please check my LiveJournal at http://doggieearlover.livejournal.com/258364.html.
 
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 35: A Matter ofTiming
 
Sango was worried when Kirara did not return Saturday night, but then she realized that they had gotten kind of a late start the evening before, so it was conceivable that they hadn't been able to get there and back under the cover of darkness. When she called Kagome, she verified that they didn't want Kirara to be seen sailing around Tokyo, so they were only to come and go when it was dark. However, when Sunday came and went, Sango started to become frantic. Kagome had assured her that she was certain they were okay, but Sango was still concerned and had then called InuYasha at the dojo. He told her that he was positive that Myouga was just being thorough before they returned. He had faith that the duo would come back after nightfall. Sango knew there wasn't anything she could do but wait and continued on to her next subject for the day. However, she decided to go to home as soon as her classes were over to wait for Kirara to come home. She didn't know what she would do if anything had happened to her companion.
 
 
InuYasha placed the phone back on the receiver after trying to calm the frantic Sango. “Dammit, Jijii, if anything has happened to you or that firecat, I'll kill you myself. What the fuck is taking you so long? You should have been back this morning at the latest. Just what are you up to?”
 
“Did you say something, InuYasha?” Miroku asked as he walked into the office.
 
“I was just saying that I'm going to kill Myouga myself if anything happened to him or Kirara. They should have been back by this morning. I would have been surprised if he'd made it in and out in one evening after such a late start Saturday night, but he should have been ready to come back last night. I was just talking to Sango. She's worried sick about the firecat. She was expecting her home last night, too.”
 
“Don't panic yet, my friend. Myouga is probably just being careful and making certain that he checks everything out before he returns. I know you said that he is a coward, so I can't imagine him taking any unnecessary chances. And we also told them not to fly home until it was completely dark. I'll bet that they'll be back not too long after nightfall tonight,” Miroku offered.
 
InuYasha sighed. “I hope you're right. It sure is lousy timing, though.”
 
 
Sango couldn't stand it any more. She'd gone straight home and tried working on some of her homework and a project for her morals class, but she could not stop worrying about Kirara. Unable to just sit and wait for her return, she put her books away and plugged her laptop in to recharge before grabbing her purse and Kirara's carrier, slipping on her shoes and heading out.
 
It wasn't yet nightfall when she arrived at the dojo, but when she checked the door she was surprised to find that it was already locked up for the evening. Hoping that it wasn't a bad omen that everyone had actually cleared out and left on time for a change, she walked around to the gate. She was somewhat relieved to see that both Kagome and Miroku's cars were still in the parking lot. Deducing that they must be at the house, she was about to open the gate when a familiar delivery van drove up. She couldn't help but to grin and shake her head when she saw the number of containers and bags the driver was trying to juggle so that he could make it in one trip. “Can I help you with that?” she called out as she ran toward him before he dropped anything.
 
Sango frowned as she followed him to the house - why order so much food for three people? Were they having a party and she wasn't invited - was she not supposed to be here? Surely they knew she'd be concerned about Kirara. She shook her head again to clear it of those thoughts. She was really worried and upset and just being paranoid. She'd seen how much food InuYasha and Miroku could put down, especially after a long day at the dojo when they often had not had any lunch. Surely they wouldn't mind her coming over to wait with them for Kirara and the flea youkai Myouga to return.
 
 

“We'll take that. Thank you,” Miroku said to the delivery boy as he relieved him of some of his containers.
 
“Give me some of it.” Kagome was right behind Miroku when she realized there was another person behind him.
 
Miroku spotted her at the same time.
 
“Sango!” they exclaimed together as they froze.
 
Now Sango was certain - they didn't want her here. Their deer-in-the-headlights expressions gave them away. “I… I… I'm sorry, but I couldn't stand waiting alone for Kirara any more. I didn't think you would mind… Obviously I'm not wanted here. Take this and I'll go.” She was struggling to hold back her tears. First she was terrified that something had gone wrong and happened to Kirara, and now two people she considered her closest friends didn't want her around.
 
Miroku recovered first. “We were just surprised, that's all, Sango.”
 
“It's just that…” Kagome didn't know what to say as she looked out to see the sun finishing its descent below the horizon.
 
“I was expecting her to show up after talking to her this afternoon. Let her in,” InuYasha called out.
 
“Let's take all of this food to the kitchen. I hope you're hungry,” Kagome said as she led the way.
 
Sango followed Kagome to the kitchen and abruptly halted when she cleared the door, causing Miroku to run into her from behind. “Sensei! What happened to you?”
 
“This is the reason we were surprised to see you, Sango,” Miroku said from behind her. “You'll have to help us keep his secret now.”
 
Sango was still staring at InuYasha who was sporting black hair, deep violet eyes and human ears. “But… you look human.”
 
“That's because for tonight, I am,” the hanyou answered. “Where's my Ramen?”
 
While Kagome sorted out the food and found the container with InuYasha's Ramen, Miroku explained how the hanyou turned mortal every new moon, and they came to keep him company due to his vulnerability. He also revealed that she had been correct the couple of times she'd noticed how tired they were and made a remark about how they looked like they'd been up all night.
 
“I'm sorry, I didn't know,” Sango started.
 
“It's all right. No one did but these two. We know you can keep a secret, so you'll just have to add this one to the list,” InuYasha answered. “Just make certain you never mention it outside of this house. I have enemies, and I'm too vulnerable to them when I'm mortal.”
 
“So you don't mind if I stay and wait for Kirara to come back? I'm worried sick about her. I thought she'd be back last night at the latest,” Sango commented.
 
“We think she was waiting on Myouga. If anyone got into trouble, it would be him and not her. And considering what a coward he is, it isn't likely he took any chances,” Miroku said. “Hopefully he's done what he was supposed to, and they'll be back once it's fully dark. The fact that there is no moon tonight actually makes it better for them to travel.”
 
Sango nodded as she took a bowl and helped herself to the rice and tempura.
 
 
 
A black leather boot crunched in the gravel of the parking lot as Sesshomaru climbed out of the car. Going around to the passenger side, he opened the door and offered a hand to Kagura.
 
“Are you certain he won't mind us just showing up like this? I know you can't call him at home, but shouldn't he have been given some kind of warning like calling him at the dojo during the day? Maybe Myouga hasn't returned yet,” Kagura suggested to her agitated mate - not that he'd ever show it.
 
“That flea should have been back by this morning before dawn. I want to talk to him and find out what he discovered before he's managed to twist or forget the details. I thought you would be anxious to hear what he has to say, my dear.” Sesshomaru fell silent. His brother had promised they would call the minute Myouga returned, but he hadn't. So either the flea had not come back, or more likely told InuYasha to hold off on calling because he was afraid that Sesshomaru wasn't going to like what he found out. In any case, it was time to find out what was going on.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kirara yawned from her hiding place. She was curled up in a cluster of camellias that were just beginning to bloom. Her white fur blended in perfectly with the white and pink blooms of the bushes around her. She noticed it was starting to get dark and reached out with a paw to prod the rotund figure sleeping near her.
 
Myouga responded by rolling over to his other side.
 
The firecat was ready to go home, see her mistress, and sleep on her nice soft bed. There was no reason for them to stay out here now that the sun had set and it was getting steadily darker. To get her point across, she rolled on her back and stretched her legs up in the air, and then rolled back down to squash the flea youkai under one of her front feet. When she had him trapped, she proceeded to draw him closer.
 
“All right, all right. I get the message,” Myouga said as he pushed her paw off. He stood and began to brush the debris off of his clothing. “I gather you think it is safe to leave now?”
 
“Rowww,” Kirara answered as she rolled to her feet and stretched.
 
Myouga was still rubbing his very enlarged belly. “I know I shouldn't have eaten so much, but their blood was so tasty. Besides, it's not like Master InuYasha will let me even have a snack when I get back. I shouldn't have to go hungry!” Myouga told himself. “I should be rewarded something for my efforts.”
 
With considerable effort, Myouga sprang up onto the firecat's back. Carefully, even though it was dark, she stalked her way through the bushes and into the wood behind the property before she transformed and leapt into the air.
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kagura sighed as she followed the Daiyoukai along the path to the house. While she wanted to hear what Myouga had discovered, at the same time she was afraid of what that might be. There was no guarantee that her sister was still alive. If she was, there was no way of knowing what had been done to her. Had she been brainwashed like the human boy had? Or had she finally wised up after it was too late and could not escape? She remained silent as Sesshomaru slid open the shoji, and they stepped into the genkan of the home.
 
 
Sesshomaru was puzzled that his brother did not meet him at the door. “InuYasha?”
 
“Oh shit, it's Sesshomaru!” he heard exclaimed from the direction of the kitchen.
 
“Yes, it's Kagura and I.” He intended to step up onto the raised floor of the house, but was thrown back. “InuYasha! What is the meaning of this?”
 
Miroku suddenly appeared in the doorway with a surprised expression on his face. “It works!”
 
“What works? What is the meaning of keeping me out of my brother's home? I am not an enemy,” Sesshomaru declared.
 
Instead of answering the question, Miroku nervously said, “Myouga hasn't shown up yet. We're still waiting for Kirara to return with him.”
 
“What the hell is going on?” InuYasha demanded from the kitchen. “Miroku, just invite him in.”
 
Miroku rubbed his neck. “Well, I can't, exactly. Only you can. It's both Sesshomaru-san and Kagura-san.”
 
“I swear, thanks to fucking Myouga, we might as well have taken out an ad on the front page of the paper.” InuYasha joined Miroku in the door. “Well, don't stand around in the entry - come join us in the kitchen though I guess we might have to move to a bigger room. Do you think anyone else is coming?”
 
Sesshomaru and Kagura remained frozen in place, staring at InuYasha.
 
“That's not a charm,” Kagura finally surmised.
 
“No fucking shit,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Forgive him - he's a little grouchy when he's like this,” Miroku hastily explained.
 
 
InuYasha stalked to the sunken room, and Kagome had followed behind him. She was whispering something in his ear when the others quietly joined them at the table. Miroku set a cup in front of everyone, and then set a cask of sake and a bottle of plum wine on the table, along with a few bottles of water.
 
“All of these years and I never knew,” Sesshomaru broke the silence. “Your mate is right, however. I will not harm you or expose your secret.”
 
“Monk, what did you do, and what did you mean that I was the only one that could invite them in?” InuYasha neatly changed the subject.
 
Miroku took a sip of his sake. “It wasn't long after I started staying with you every new moon that I decided to place sutra around your house. However, this is the first time they've ever actually been tested by youkai. I'd almost forgotten about them, but apparently they work.
 
“They did not allow you to come in past the genkan?” Miroku addressed his question to Sesshomaru.
 
“No. In fact I was thrown back when I tried to enter,” he answered.
 
Miroku continued, “Well, I got the idea from those old vampire movies - you know the ones where the vampire couldn't enter the house unless they were invited into it? I did some research and found that there were sacred sutra that served a similar purpose. They would keep youkai out, but recognized that there might be some that were not evil, that might seek sanctuary, or even be an ally. However, they rely on the owner of the dwelling to recognize friend or foe, so once you invite them in, they are allowed past the ward.
 
“These were kind of tricky in that I wanted them activated during the new moon, even against those who had been allowed in the home the rest of the month. Most of the time they will allow anyone to enter who does not intend you harm, but during the new moon they will only permit those youkai that you invite to come in.” Miroku drained his cup and allowed Sango to refill it for him.
 
InuYasha furrowed his eyebrows. “So does that mean when Myouga Jijii finally shows up, I can let Kirara come inside but leave him out in the cold?”
 
Miroku grinned. “That would be an interesting test.”
 
“If we did not wish to hear immediately what he has to report.” Sesshomaru glared at his brother.
 
“Don't look at me like that. You should be stuck like this once a month and see how you like it,” InuYasha complained. “Besides, it was just a thought. I know Sango and Kagura both want to hear what he's learned.”
 
“I believe they are here,” Sesshomaru interrupted.
 
InuYasha grinned. “Well, I'm going to have a little fun with him. Come on in, Kirara!” he yelled in response to the rather loud and impatient meow.
 
Kirara ran into the room and straight to Sango. She hopped into her lap where she contentedly started to purr while Sango happily rubbed her all over.
 
Myouga was knocked off of Kirara's back as she entered the ward, and was now hopping up and down at the entry to the house. “Master InuYasha! I'm your loyal vassal! Why have you forsaken me?”
 
He looked up to find InuYasha staring down at him. “This had better be good, Jijii. You had Sango worried sick keeping Kirara away for so long. Come in.”
 
InuYasha returned to the others with the flea youkai bounding behind him. After he sat down, he added, “And thanks to you, more people have learned my secret in a single night than have known it the last two hundred and seventy odd years. Your timing couldn't have been worse.”
 
“But InuYasha-sama, I've been trying to get you to allow at least some others - close friends, if you would, to know-” Myouga cut himself off.
 
“You planned this on purpose, didn't you? You knew they'd all show up to hear what you've discovered.” The hanyou turned human for the evening glowered at him.
 
“No, no, no. It just worked out that way. I wouldn't-”
 
Sesshomaru was leaning low over the table, intently studying the flea. “Just how much have you had to eat?”
 
“You blood-sucker! You had us worried that something had happened to you while you copped extra meals!” InuYasha exclaimed.
 
“I had to wait for enough men to return to the house to determine if they were the right ones!” Myouga declared in his defense. “You wouldn't expect me to go hungry, would you?”
 
“Save it, and tell us what you found,” InuYasha ordered.
 
“Nearly all of the occupants of the house were out Saturday night. It was one reason I couldn't have returned since only the two children were there,” Myouga started.
 
“Alone?”
“Kohaku?”
“Kanna?”
 
Kagome, Sango and Kagura asked all at the same time.
 
“There was a teenaged boy and an adolescent girl there, though she was unusual for a youkai,” he continued.
 
“She has no scent or youki aura about her,” Kagura interjected.
 
Myouga nodded. “Correct.”
 
The wind sorceress breathed a sigh of relief. “So she's still alive.”
 
“As I started to say, they were left alone for most of the time on Saturday night though the one called Bankotsu was in the house, but kept to the lower level. Naraku returned Sunday morning. He had a woman with him. I'm sorry, InuYasha-sama, but it was the real estate agent that…” Myouga's voice trailed away.
 
“That exposed me as hanyou. We'd figured she was involved somehow,” InuYasha responded.
 
“Well, she, and he… they appear to be in some sort of… relationship.” The flea stopped and wiped his brow.
 
“I figured as much,” the hanyou mumbled. “What else?”
 
Myouga continued, “Apparently Bankotsu went to verify some information he had been given. When he returned, he accidentally interrupted them. Not that it was his fault, really. They were in the living room.”
 
Kagura's voice was monotone. “Naraku invited him to join them, didn't he?”
 
“How did you know?” the tiny youkai asked.
 
“I told you Naraku was a cruel bastard. He likes to share and to watch. It helps him get off. Once he starts passing her around, he's about done with her. He'll probably let all of them have a go with her before he gets rid of her, though. Once she's no longer useful, she'll disappear,” Kagura informed them.
 
“Who are you talking about?” Sango asked very softly, not certain she wanted to know.
 
“The one that exposed InuYasha's secret to the world - Kikyou,” Miroku responded.
 
“Kikyou, you mean Kaede-san's daughter?”
 
“What!” Miroku and Kagome exclaimed together.
 
Sango nodded. “Kaede-san told me a little about her. She's her only child, though they haven't spoken since the incident with Sensei.”
 
Miroku studied InuYasha's face and could see the normally hidden emotions running across it. “You know that even she doesn't deserve what he has planned for her.”
 
The hanyou released a heavy sigh. “I know. What else, Jijii?”
 
“I'm afraid you're going to like this even less. Bankotsu thought he had found what he was looking for. He had gone to a shrine and even though the priest claimed not to know anything, he mentioned the Shikon no Tama, and Bankotsu had not referred to it by name. The mercenary told Naraku he is certain that it is at the Higurashi Shrine.”
 
 
To be continued…
 
*******************
InuYasha Fanfiction Guild News
 
Thank you very much to knittingknots magedelbene landofthekwt, dreaming_trees, and TAJE for the following nominations and seconds (or even the attempt to) for the Second Quarter (April - June) of 2008 at the InuYasha Fanfiction Guild. I really do appreciate it: 
 
Minoue: Best Romance: Miroku/Sango, Best AU/AR, and Best Characterization for InuYasha
White Ribbon: Best Comedy
Never Too Late: Best InuYasha/Kagome Romance
 
Voting began August 17th and continues through Saturday, August 30th.  If you are a member of the IYFG, please go and vote for your favorites, no matter what they are. I'm certain that I am not the only author that appreciates your support.

Good luck to everyone this quarter!