InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Minoue ❯ Contact ( Chapter 40 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. Any original characters do belong to me.
 
AN: Thank you very much to inufan625 for acting as my beta once again. An additional thank you goes to Knittingknots for her help as well. I greatly appreciate the time they've taken to help make me a better writer and this a better story.
 
Thank you very much for the reviews. I read each and every one of them, and greatly appreciate those of you that took the time to leave one.
 
Voting at the InuYasha Fanfiction Guild recently concluded for the Third Quarter (July - September) 2008. Minoue place First in the Best Serial Category and Second in both the Best AU/AR and Best Characterization categories. Gone Wrong place Third in the Best Short Short category. Thank you to everyone who nominated, seconded, or voted for any of my fics. And thank you to all of you who continue to read my story.
 
Another awards group, the Feudal Association, is currently accepting nominations through Monday, December 15th. This group is different from others in that you can nominate both InuYasha fanfiction and fanart. It's also different because if you place, your banner is a piece of original fanart donated for that category. The group is a lot of fun and pretty laid back. The two mods are currently knittingknots and inuyashaloverr. You can find information at http://feudal-pulpfiction.net/fa/index.html on current nominations, rules, categories, the ineligible list, etc. To join, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FeudalAssociation/. That being said, thanks so much to landofthekwt, psyco_chick32, quirkyslayer, and InuHanyouNikkie for the nominations received so far. I really do appreciate it!
Minoue for Best AU/AR and Best Romance Fiction
View to a Chill for Best InuYasha/Kagome Romance Fiction and Best Oneshot Fiction
Angel's Aren't Always Heaven Sent for Best InuYasha/Kagome Romance Fiction
Where the Wind Blows for Best Humorous Fiction
 
 
 
 
 
Minoue
 
Chapter 40: Contact (Warning: Lemon)
 
Kaede wasn't certain how she'd ended up in the area she was currently walking through. Well, that wasn't exactly true. After pondering over what Sango had told her Friday morning, she had finally decided to seek out her daughter. She had taken the train and then walked to her apartment in an upscale building - far more expensive than anything the old counselor had ever been able to afford. She had hemmed and hawed all afternoon, trying to decide if she should call first or just go. In the end, she decided it would be better to try and see her in person, in hopes that it would make it harder for Kikyou to turn her away.
 
She had wanted to make amends with her only child for a long time, but fear of failure made it easy to keep putting it off. Days turned into weeks that became months that had now stretched into years. However, she found her fear of Kikyou being the victim of some unsavory character far outweighed her fear of rejection. She knew that she had to at least make an attempt. If this one didn't work, she would have to find some other way.
 
Kaede reached up to wipe away an errant tear. She hadn't even been given the opportunity to see her. The guard in the lobby was sympathetic, but he couldn't allow her to go up without the tenet's permission. When he called Kikyou, her response was, “Don't you dare let that old bitch up here!”
 
The guard just stared at the phone for a moment before he hung it up. “I'm sorry, Ma'am, but she's not accepting any visitors.”
 
Kaede sighed and nodded her head before turning to go. She would have to find some other way to contact her daughter.
 
A second security guard that was entering the building held the door for her as she exited. He watched her walk away, shoulders slumped and looking entirely dejected. “Hey, who was that?”
 
The guard at the desk shook his head sadly. “Believe it or not, that nice old woman was Nagatomi Kikyou's mother. That cold heartless bitch refused to see her.”
 
“But I thought…”
 
“Yeah, I know.” Both men stared through the vacant glass doors.
 
 
 
Upstairs in her fourteenth floor apartment, Kikyou was fuming. How had her mother even found her here? She was going to ruin everything. Kikyou hadn't lied, per se - more of one of omission. She'd allowed people to think that both of her parents were dead and that she had come from a wealthy family. For four years she'd lived in this apartment, stretching even her budget to the limit, to make it appear that she was a very wealthy woman. And while she was well off, she wasn't as rich as she thought she was entitled to be. She wasn't as happy as she deserved to be, either.
 
She stopped and poured herself a glass of wine and then gracefully sat down on her white leather sofa. Holding the wine glass with both hands, she stared down at it. Why wasn't she happy? Why hadn't she found what she wanted? She was beautiful and worthy of any man of her choosing. Her mother always tried to tell her that money wasn't the most important thing in life, but how would she know? She never really had any.
 
And now, she had shown up here, out of the blue, with no warning. What had brought her here? Kikyou had been rethinking a lot of her decisions lately, especially her involvement with Naraku. How had a man so wealthy and charming turned out to be so depraved? While initially attracted to him, she was starting to feel somewhat frightened of him, and Bankotsu's information didn't make her feel any better. She had been given the impression that he was a bit wary and maybe even afraid of Naraku himself. She had no idea of what Bank really did for the man, but considering he'd just asked her to spy on the Higurashis for Naraku, it gave her a hint that what he did probably wasn't totally above-board.
 
The thought of the Higurashi family and that girl sent her mind reeling off in another direction. Who was this college student, Kagome, who was stealing InuYasha? What had she done to deserve him? Kikyou slumped further into her leather cushions. The girl could not steal something she had willingly pushed away. She hadn't just told the hanyou “no” when he revealed what he was to her; she'd tried to destroy him. He'd had the decency to try and tell her what he was before he slept with her, and she'd returned the favor by betraying and ridiculing him to the entire world. Even she didn't understand the vindictiveness and hatred that sprang from her, compelling her to totally annihilate him. In fact it was her actions that caused that huge fight with her mother, and they hadn't spoken or seen each other since.
 
A slow sigh escaped the forlorn daughter. Now she was afraid she might be in trouble - involved with a man that she wasn't sure she could escape from, and her mother makes a completely unexpected appearance. They'd left each other alone for all of this time, and Mother suddenly shows up in the lobby. It was almost as if she knew something was wrong and was reaching out to her.
 
Kikyou took another sip of wine and rubbed her temple. She was getting a headache thinking so much. She would see how Sunday went with Bankotsu at the art gallery and consider her dilemmas some more. Something must have driven her mother to come all the way across town to see her. Maybe she should consider finding the time to go and see her, instead - perhaps on neutral ground where they would be less likely to get in an argument and where people didn't know her - where they wouldn't see that her mother was a dowdy old woman that was very much alive.
 
She leaned her head back into the cushioned back of the sofa, closed her eyes, and sighed. When did things become so complicated?
 
 
 
InuYasha and Miroku were quietly talking as they walked when they saw an older woman stumble and nearly fall. Together, they rushed forward and each gently grasped an arm to steady her.
 
“Why, thank you,” she started and then looked up to see the face of one of her rescuers, “Sensei Miroku?”
 
“Kaede-San?” Miroku responded as they helped her to a bench. “What are you doing in this part of town alone?”
 
“Actually, I'm not certain. I got kind of lost in thought as I was walking, and it looks like I got myself lost,” she said.
 
“Well, I'm glad we found you. And I didn't mean to be rude. My friend here is—”
 
“We don't need no introductions. I know the baba,” InuYasha interrupted. He turned away with his ears drooping.
 
“InuYasha!” Miroku exclaimed. “There's no need—”
 
“I don't blame him,” Kaede said softly. “InuYasha-sama, I wanted you to know that I never approved of my daughter's actions. I thought what she did was most dishonorable. Of all of the young men she'd brought around, you were the nicest. I am sorry you were treated with such malice.”
 
“Just InuYasha,” he responded quietly. “Aren't you a long ways from home?”
 
She accepted his unspoken apology for his rudeness and nodded. “It appears that I am, but no worries, I will find my way back.”
 
“You don't live that far from where we're headed. I'd feel better if we see you safely home. It's getting late,” Miroku suggested.
 
“He's right. You shouldn't be out by yourself like this,” the hanyou added.
 
Kaede agreed, “All right, I'd appreciate it. I really didn't intend to be out so late. If you're certain it's no trouble…”
 
“Got nothing better to do,” InuYasha responded.
 
They were walking towards the train station when Kaede said, “I hear congratulations are in order, InuYasha. She's a very lucky girl.”
 
The hanyou mumbled, “Thanks, but I'm the one that's lucky.”
 
“By the way, where are your young ladies tonight?” the old woman probed.
 
Miroku sighed heavily. “Studying for finals. I'll be glad when this semester is over with.”
 
Kaede chuckled. “I bet you will.”
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
Kikyou had agreed to meet Bankotsu at the National Art Center Sunday morning around 11:30. They would take all afternoon if needed to see if they could pick up any information. They also planned to have lunch there at the Bistro in order to help cover all parts of the gallery. Bankotsu had the picture of Sango that he'd printed from the internet information about the opening gala. Since the gallery was huge, they knew no one would think anything about it if they were there until closing. And if they found what they were looking for with some time left to spare, they'd go somewhere to be alone for a little while, and tell Naraku it took them the entire afternoon to go through the enormous building in the attempt to find anyone who might recognize the girl.
 
They were nearing the top of escalator at the second floor about mid-afternoon when a young girl went running by calling, “Kagura-san! Kagura-san! Wait up!”
 
They looked over to see an elegant dark-haired woman that had stopped. She waited for the little girl to catch up and then continued on her way with her by her side.
 
Kikyou was talking out loud to herself more than she was speaking to Bankotsu when she said, “Kagura? That's not exactly a common name. Where have I heard it before?”
 
Her companion was frowning as he stepped off of the elevator. “You're right, but she's supposed to be dead.”
 
“What?” Kikyou asked in confusion.
 
“Let's get something to eat and go down there,” he suggested, indicating an empty area. “We should be able to talk without being overheard.”
 
 
When they had both selected their food, they went to the table furthest from any others in the dining area.
 
“I know - wasn't Kagura the nanny Naraku had for the children? The one that disappeared on him without a word? I offered to help him find another, but the entire topic seemed to irritate him,” Kikyou said.
 
Bankotsu almost choked on the bite of the sandwich he'd just taken. “Nanny? That's what he told you? Who did he tell you the children were?”
 
The real estate agent relayed the story about the mud slide at the house in Singapore and the children's parents being killed.
 
Bank was glad he'd foregone eating any more until she finished the tall tale she'd swallowed hook, line and sinker.
 
“So, it's not true, is it?” Kikyou could tell by the dubious expression on Bankotsu's face. She sighed and poked at her salad.
 
He shook his head before he took a bite and chewed while he determined what to tell her. Finally, he decided that, considering the nature of the man she'd gotten herself involved with, she probably should know the truth, or at least some of it. That way she might be more prepared for anything else Naraku came up with that he wanted her to do. “Those two children aren't related, and one isn't even human. The girl is youkai, and the missing `nanny' is actually her elder sister. Naraku had some kind of power over her other than holding her little sister, but then she just vanished. He thought she might be dead, but he couldn't be sure. But it could also be just a coincidence. Then again, like you said, Kagura isn't exactly a common name.” Bankotsu sighed. “I'd better tell him. If he finds out we possibly had a lead and didn't inform him, I don't think he'd need our services much longer.”
 
“But what would you tell him? We don't know where she came from or where she went. Oh, shit,” Kikyou cursed softly.
 
“What?” the mercenary questioned, but then looked in the direction that she was staring. “Who is that?”
 
“She's with Nishimori Shuichi, the director of this gallery,” Kikyou said softly. Kagura and Rin were now walking towards them with Sesshomaru in his human guise.
 
“Is he youkai, too?” Bank asked.
 
“I don't think so, and the little girl looks human enough. I didn't know he had a daughter,” Kikyou commented as the woman and girl continued past them while the director was headed straight towards them. She looked closely at Kagura. “Are you sure she's youkai? She looks entirely human.”
 
However, before he had a chance to respond, Kikyou stood and bowed, and Bankotsu decided to follow suit when the director reached them.
 
“It's a pleasure to see you again,” Kikyou said. “It's been too long. Juuyaku Nishimori, may I introduce you to my friend Bankotsu? Bank, this gentleman is in charge of this wonderful gallery.”
 
Sesshomaru only nodded in response as he gestured for them to sit back down. Surprising them, he pulled out a chair and joined them.
 
Kikyou said, “To what do we owe this pleas—”
 
She was cut off when he said in a low serious tone of voice, “May I ask what you are doing asking questions about one of the guests that attended one of our opening galas?”
 
“Why we weren't—”
 
“Do not lie, Kikyou.” He said her name with such vehemence it made her cringe. “My security personnel as well as other workers in the gallery came to me to express their concerns. Wasn't destroying one life enough?” he hissed, “What could you possibly have to do with the young lady that attended that gala?”
 
“It was my fault,” Bankotsu interjected. “She was a very good friend of my younger sister and they lost touch. When I saw her picture on the internet, I thought I'd try to find her to surprise her. We meant no harm.”
 
“Enjoy the gallery, but cease asking questions about our guests. If I have another complaint you will be escorted from the building.” Sesshomaru abruptly stood and left them.
 
Kikyou slumped in her chair. “He certainly holds a grudge for a long time.”
 
“So was he that close to that hanyou you exposed?” Bank asked while spinning ideas through his head of what he could report to Naraku.
 
“I didn't think so, but maybe I was wrong. It wouldn't be the first time,” she commented off-handedly. “Well, we don't dare ask any more questions. What will we tell Naraku?”
 
Bankotsu leaned forward. “It's not a total loss. At least we know that Kagura may be alive and is somehow connected to him.” He nodded in the direction of the retreating back of Sesshomaru. “We'll have to tell him that there were so many people there that night that no one really remembered her - she was probably the guest of someone on the list but no one had any idea of whom.”
 
“Do you think he'll believe it?” Kikyou asked worriedly.
 
“There were over a thousand people here that night. We can't help it if the staff didn't know everyone.” Bank leaned back in his chair.
 
“What about my asking the Director about her like I was supposed to?” she questioned.
 
The mercenary leaned close to her again. “We will tell him the truth - that the man is still mad at you for exposing his half-brother to the world which caused him a lot of grief, and he wouldn't talk to you. If we try to tell Naraku that we didn't see him, he'll probably send you back to try again. I wouldn't mention being ordered to not ask any other questions, though. He'll be furious if he thought we weren't being discreet enough.” Bankotsu pushed his food away from him. “I don't know about you, but I've lost my appetite.”
 
Kikyou was rubbing her temples again. Her headache had just come back triple-fold. “Let's just get out of here. Maybe we can find something else to do for the rest of the afternoon.”
 
Bank stood and pulled her chair out for her. “I agree. There are much more pleasant ways we can spend our time together.”
 
As they stepped onto the escalator, a silent figure moved silently from behind a column and went in the opposite direction.
 
 
~ ^~^ ~
 
He had his fingers interlaced with hers on either side of her head as he slowly moved in and out of her slick heat.
 
“Harder,” she whispered, “and faster.”
 
“You made me wait,” he responded before he hungrily captured her lips with his and thrust his tongue into her mouth.
 
She eagerly accepted it as she wrapped her legs even tighter around his thighs, trying to get him to speed up, pound harder - anything other than this deliberate, measured tease he was torturing her with.
 
When he released her mouth so she could catch her breath, she reminded him, “I'm supposed to be at home, but I missed you and couldn't wait any longer.”
 
He grinned before he moved to plant kisses that followed her jaw line and ending up sucking at the pulse point on her neck. He then kissed his way back up to her mouth and surprised her by sucking her tongue into his, all the while continuing his slow, even tempo.
 
When she thought she was going to burst from the languid pace, he suddenly released her hands and rose to his knees. Cupping her buttocks, he held her against him as he began to hammer into her at a hard and furious speed, causing her to cry out in pleasure and approval. He leaned over to pull her sensitive, hardened nipple between his teeth as he continued to pound against her, causing their flesh to slap together. She had moved her legs up to encircle his back instead as she tossed her head, causing her wild black hair to spill around her.
 
He held back until he felt her clamp down on him as she orgasmed, also announced by her rather loud cry. Unable to stop himself any longer, he exploded to fill her and then collapsed over her, panting. He caught himself on his forearms on the bedding on either side of her and then lowered his mouth to hers for an unhurried kiss.
 
When he eventually released her so she could again catch her breath, she said, “So you missed, me, hum? It's only been a few days.”
 
He nuzzled the side of her face. “I've gotten so used to you being around. I didn't realize how much until you had to use your spare time to study for tests. Are you all done?”
 
“I decided this afternoon would be used to study the mating habits of inu-hanyou.” Kagome smiled as she met his eyes. “Besides, I needed a break. Once I was finished with the ookami girls yesterday morning, studying was all I did the rest of the day and into the night.”
 
“You and Sango?” InuYasha asked.
 
Kagome nodded. “Yeah, we only have the one class together, but it's still nice to have someone to commiserate with while you're at it. So what did you and Miroku do?”
 
“We went to that steak place that you and Sango didn't want to go to,” he answered.
 
She scrunched her face into an interesting expression. “Oh, gross! The one where they put the biography of the poor cow on the menu?”
 
“It was good - you should give it a try sometime,” the hanyou argued.
 
“I'll have to take your word for it - I don't want to know that much about my dinner!” she informed him. “So that was all you did?”
 
He started to nod his head, but then shook it instead.
 
“What is it? What happened, InuYasha?”
 
He rolled off of her and on to his back next to her. He pulled her against his side, but remained silent.
 
“InuYasha?” Kagome asked with trepidation. She shifted so that she could throw her arm over his chest.
 
“We ran into Kaede-baba from the college. We ended up taking her home,” he answered softly before he told her the whole story - or at least most of it.
 
“That coincides with what Sango told me last night,” she responded once he fell silent. Then she decided he deserved to know everything and told him the rest, including how Sango had gone to Kaede to warn her about Kikyou and her involvement with Naraku.
 
“Well, the old woman didn't succeed. The cold-hearted bitch refused to see her,” InuYasha stated. “I don't know if it would make matters better or worse if Kikyou found out.”
 
“Everything seems to be getting more and more complicated,” Kagome commented softly as she snuggled into InuYasha's side.
 
“And it seems they may have gotten more so.”
 
InuYasha and Kagome were both so wrapped up in each other they were startled by the voice and jumped at the intrusion.
 
Sesshomaru was standing in the bedroom doorway.
 
 
To be continued…
 
***************************
 
Juuyaku - director; high executive; person with heavy responsibilities