InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Monsters ❯ Chapter 3: Veiled Melancholy ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: in prologue.

A/N: Thanks to Merith for the beta!

Chapter Three: Veiled Melancholy

After returning from speaking with Ryujin, Sesshoumaru once again found himself in his chambers, pensive. He stayed there for two days, his sullenness reaching depths that even Rin's presence barely penetrated. She had attempted to cheer him, but he was in no mood to be cheered. Jaken had hovered around him, offering food and drink in an attempt to alleviate his melancholy. Sesshoumaru had only glared at him and told him to leave while Rin knelt quietly at his knee, watching him with eyes that, at times, seemed too observant, even for her young age.

Sesshoumaru shifted in his chair, the den's surroundings suddenly close and uncomfortable. He did not desire company.

He desired violence. He desired blood.

The youkai shook his head, his teeth clenched tightly in an effort to rid his mind of the goddess' infuriating presence. Their only battle had left him, not exhausted, not wounded, but exhilarated and hungry for more. Strangely, while his spirit had desired the battle, his body had other desires - it was a vexing contradiction.

Closing his eyes, the youkai lord forced his mind away from the dark green feminine eyes. Instead, he attempted to concentrate on his duties - his responsibilities as a Great Demon Lord. There had been a brief period of peace, but now there were rumblings in the distance - more demons would come to challenge his position. Some came because they felt he was a young, inexperienced lord while others came fueled strictly by greed and the desire for power. They would keep coming too, for as long as Sesshoumaru could hold them off.

After that, it would be up to his heir...

Sesshoumaru's musings came to a screeching halt. He made an annoyed sound in the back of his throat and, standing up suddenly, he began to pace the length of the room.

Rin's dark eyes blinked at him. "Sesshoumaru-sama?"

He glanced over his shoulder at her, his mind made up. "Rin, stay."

There was only one thing that would push the reveries from his mind. His jaw set in grim determination, Sesshoumaru grabbed Tenseiga from its resting place and stalked out of his chambers. His armor remained. This battle would not be won solely with weapons and armor.

He would see for himself just how worthy an opponent this female was.

***

Beyond the waterfall, in the surrounding forest, a lone figure walked slowly amongst the trees, her feet idly following the path of a small stream. Teles had been walking aimlessly since her altercation with the demon Sesshoumaru.

In the years of her banishment, she had yet to find a creature who had such an unrelenting hold on her mind - even if he was just a demon. She had sensed him fairly early. His power - his life force - had sent something shivering down her spine, her skin rising in prickling anticipation. She'd had no idea what to expect, but had been bored at the time, so she set her web intent upon drawing him in.

He had almost been able to ignore her song. That alone had captured her interest - no creature that she knew of - beast, human, or demon - had the mental power to ignore the song of a Siren. Most of them responded like those damned wolves, mindlessly throwing themselves in harm's way for no reason at all.

She'd been having fun until he had left. It had been a long time since she'd found so worthy an adversary. A scowl marred her features as she thought about his departure. He wasn't supposed to have left.

After hours of walking, Teles returned to the waterfall, sliding in behind the heavy curtain of water. She had made this spot her home - though it was nothing like her temples and shrines in Crete, it sufficed. Lord Ryujin had been kind enough to allow her furnishings - much to Hera's irritation, Teles was sure.

"A banishment, yes," the massive dragon had said to her. "But please do not consider these lands a prison."

She exhaled softly, surveying the lavish surroundings as she lit a small lantern. Her quarters, hidden from the rest of the world by the rushing waterfall and protected by Ryujin's enchanted barrier, were colored in soothing shades of blue and green and swathed in silk. The mists kept the room pleasantly damp and the heavy flow of water had lulled her to sleep night after night for years. As lovely as it was, it did not and could not compare to Olympus.

Teles sighed heavily, lowering herself to the soft futon. No other goddess - no other goddess was as dangerous to anger as Hera. Unfortunately, Hera's wrath all too often came unprovoked. Privately, Teles considered herself lucky she'd only been banished. She could have been forced to spend her immortal existence as a goat, or worse. The Queen of the Gods had often done far more horrible things to some of the mortal maidens Zeus had made advances on.

Hera's logic was lost on Teles - it had been for quite some time.

She stared at the smooth stone ceiling, watching as the lantern light danced across the imperfections in the rock. It hadn't taken long for her to sink back into boredom. Annoyed, she turned on her side and closed her eyes. After several long moments, Teles felt a twinge in her chest accompanied by a shiver that was already unforgettable. A slow smile spread across her lips.

So, he was back for another round, was he?

Teles sat up and moved to the cavern's entrance, waiting by the thick sheet of water. She stood perfectly still, waiting, listening as anticipation tightened in her stomach.

She shivered again, more violently this time. He was nearby. Teles slipped past the waterfall into the cool twilight. She allowed herself to float upwards, searching the site of their earlier exchange, but Sesshoumaru wasn't there. She swore silently and turned, surveying the countryside from the top of the waterfall.

She spied movement in the sky and looked up to see him; Sesshoumaru's robes and silver hair created an unmistakable silhouette. Teles watched him move across the sky, barely hidden in the purple shadow of a passing cloud.

"You came back for more. You are a remarkable creature," she murmured, taking to the air in pursuit.

***

Sesshoumaru smiled secretively to himself - now that he had learned her scent, he had found her easily. There was no reason for such a heady sea-scent so near fresh water. He allowed himself a quick glance behind him before landing silently in a carefully chosen clearing. There wasn't a nearby water source from which she could draw power. That was what had made the difference earlier. A god - or goddess, for that matter - was always stronger the closer they were to their aspect, be it water, fire, or any other element.

She would be weaker, of that he was certain. He wondered just how much weaker.

She landed softly, regarding him in the half-light. "I am pleased to see that you have decided to resume our battle, Lord Sesshoumaru."

"As am I," he responded smoothly, flexing the hand attached to another borrowed arm, testing it. He had no desire to go up against this opponent with only one of them. Without hesitation, Sesshoumaru extended his own arm and from his hand flew a blindingly bright whip. With only the barest movement, he snapped the crackling stream of light directly at the goddess, who flew upwards, barely dodging the attack.

Teles' eyes darted around the area before settling again on Sesshoumaru. She swore silently to herself when she realized exactly where he had led her. Again the glowing whip came hurtling towards her head when she dipped in the air, hearing a faint sizzle above her head when he missed.

Sesshoumaru smiled faintly as he read the changing expressions on her face. The goddess turned in mid-air and began heading back for the sanctuary of the waterfall.

"I don't think so," he murmured, the pelt on his shoulder shooting out and grabbing the retreating goddess. She had left herself open and he now had the element of surprise working to his advantage. Sesshoumaru smiled, slowly pulling her back to him. "Where is it you think you're going... Teles?" he asked, his voice low and melodious.

The goddess looked at him, her face obviously flushed. "I had thought you would be a more honorable fighter than this, Lord Sesshoumaru."

"I merely made sure that my surroundings worked for me, not against me. It is no different than your attempt to return to the source of your power." He watched as she drew closer. "It seems that you aren't quite as formidable an opponent when you're not near your aspect. How disappointing."

Teles' green eyes narrowed in anger for a moment before she closed them and inhaled deeply. When she opened her eyes, she met Sesshoumaru's gaze and held it, never wavering. The low, somber tones springing from her throat gave him pause for a moment. This song was different - the music was not gentle and soothing, but edged with discord. Sesshoumaru thought briefly of the wolf youkai and tightened his hold on her in response. He felt the melody tug at his mind and soul, attempting to muddy his thoughts. With a growl, he pulled hard at the pelt and sent the goddess hurtling into the ground. He flew to the soft grass and knelt over her body, pinning her. He held her hips between his legs and two clawed hands were wrapped tightly around her wrists. Her scent filled his senses and he gripped her wrists even more tightly in response.

Her lips curving into a wicked grin, she said, "I've been waiting for you to touch me all night." As in their first fight, her skin began to lighten and glow, but the blast, when it came, was somewhat weaker than the first. It had, however, sent Sesshoumaru landing hard into the grass at the other end of the clearing. She rose and flew to where he lay, landing on him. Breathing heavily, Teles brought her hand to his chest. She let the energy and heat radiate from her body to his, slowly squeezing him.

"Perhaps you are as intelligent as I had first thought," she said, her voice a harsh whisper. "Very smart, Sesshoumaru. Very smart. You've forgotten just one small detail - there is water in every living thing. Every creature, every blade of grass - the fog just settling in right now, for instance - all of it, made of water. It's not much, but I don't need much." She smiled down into his eyes, which were now golden - illuminated with moonlight. "Your touch gave me all I needed."

Sesshoumaru grit his teeth, baring his fangs at the goddess. The intoxicating squeeze was what he'd been waiting for - again, her power wrapped around them both, sending a rush of pleasant heat through his body. He drew from the power of the Tensaiga to stave off the surge that surely had the power to crush his ribs. He waited again, completely calm, completely patient - this attack had been the one that had tired her out before. The demon lay beneath her, slowly aware of the warm flesh situated on top of his. He looked up at the female straddling him and saw that she was watching him as well, a strange intensity in her eyes.

Teles stopped the attack, pulling her hand back and moving away from Sesshoumaru, dropping to her knees in exhaustion. The demon stood and approached the goddess, tilting his head slightly as he watched her shoulders tremble with effort.

"You could have killed me, and yet you did not," he murmured.

Teles inhaled deeply and stood, turning to face the youkai. "No, I did not." In an instant she flew towards him, grabbing his arms tightly and sending them both towards the thick trunk of an ancient tree. In flight, Sesshoumaru shifted, sending Teles' body into the tree as his pressed tightly against her. He felt her breasts as they pressed against his chest, his pelvis snug against hers. With a faint growl, Sesshoumaru lowered his mouth to hers again. Her lips parted eagerly, boldly teasing at his mouth with her tongue.

With a soft grunt of effort, Teles pushed away from the tree, sending both demon and goddess tumbling hard to the ground. Once again she was on top of him and, with a dark smile, she held her hands above him until a faint blue glow sparked from her palms.

"You bitch," he growled out between his teeth - he couldn't move. He lay immobile, forced to wait - forced to be the very thing he despised: passive.

Teles did not respond to the muttered invective. Instead, she leaned forward and kissed the demon brazenly, taking full advantage of his incapacitation. Her kisses were hard and possessive and she let herself press wantonly against Sesshoumaru's prone form. She pulled away, the smile still in place as the blue glow faded from her hands. With a husky chuckle, Teles leapt into the air, racing toward the sanctity of her cavern.

Once her hold released him, Sesshoumaru followed, moving faster than the wind. Ahead of him he saw Teles swiftly approaching the waterfall and he flew faster, grasping tightly at her wrist, jerking her back and sending her body careening into his. Knotting his hands tightly in her hair, the youkai caught her bottom lip between his teeth and bit before plundering the goddess' mouth. He was vaguely aware of her hands tightening in his robes, her nails digging into his flesh. His senses were overcome by the sound, the taste, the scent of her.

He pulled away, golden eyes narrowed in the faint light. "I decide when we're finished."

Again, her lips curled in an infuriating smile. "Oh do you?" With a free hand she reached toward the waterfall, calling on its power.

In an instant, a geyser of water shot up between them, forcing Teles from Sesshoumaru's grasp. He swore viciously as the force of the water knocked him back in the air. When the water returned to its rightful place, Sesshoumaru saw that Teles was gone. He swore again, this time under his breath, and shot forward, heading for the waterfall itself. The area was heavy with the smell of sea air - she was there, he was sure of it.

Sesshoumaru slid behind the rushing wall of water and saw the entrance to the cavern. A dark smile lit his lips as he flew toward the mouth of the cavern. However, that smile vanished when the barrier, heavy with Ryujin's magic, sent him flying back.

"Bitch!" he growled, glaring at the now-visible barrier as it pulsed with the dragon's power.

Teles' only response was a low chuckle from deep within the caves. "Only a god can enter uninvited, Sesshoumaru."