InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Monsters ❯ Chapter 21: Perception ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Kudos to the best betas in the world (you all know who they are by this point, I hope!) And, again, to Everstar, who's always willing to hear my first few lines of experimental dialogue, and who isn't afraid to tell me if they suck. ;)

Chapter 21: Perception

They say that Hope is happiness--
But genuine Love must prize the past;
And Mem'ry wakes the thoughts that bless:
They rose the first -- they set the last.

And all that mem'ry loves the most
Was once our only hope to be:
And all that hope adorned and lost
Hath melted into memory.

Alas! It is delusion all--
The future cheats us from afar:
Nor can we be what we recall,
Nor dare we think on what we are.

~George Gordon, Lord Byron, "They Say that Hope is Happiness"

Inuyasha's running leaps brought him closer and closer to the wild orchards Sango and Kagome had taken Rin to. The air was soon heavy with the scent of fruit trees, and he could hear Rin's high laughter the further he got into the orchard. There, lingering under the aroma of ripened pears, he could make out both Kagome and Sango's scents. His search didn't take long, but once he found them, he hung back, watching for a moment.

Sango had climbed into the pear tree, balancing precariously on a limb, holding on to another branch to steady herself. With her free hand, she pulled pears from the higher parts of the tree and tossed them carefully down to Rin, who was standing on another limb. Kagome stood below, holding Rin securely in place about the waist while Rin held the skirt of her kimono up, catching the pears Sango picked. Kirara lay not far away, stretched lazily in a patch of sunlight, her tails flicking occasionally as she kept one watchful eye on the three avid fruit-pickers.

He pursed his lips, watching them. It was time to get back to work -- time to get back to finding shards, time to get back to... well, everything. It had been a brief reprieve, and now it was over. After a few more moments, Inuyasha cleared his throat. "Kagome, Sango..." Why the hell do I feel like shit about this? We need to find those fuckin' shards! We've got work to do, dammit!

The two young women looked up suddenly, glancing at Inuyasha for only a second before exchanging a puzzled look. Kagome's frown was a concerned one as she gently placed Rin back on the ground, watching as Sango climbed down from the tree's higher limbs. She turned to Inuyasha, her eyebrows drawing together. "Is something wrong, Inuyasha?"

The hanyou's gaze darted quickly to the small girl who was watching him intently, her finger twirling in the small ponytail on top of her head. He looked back at Kagome and shook his head briefly. "He's here," he said softly. "Just got back."

Sango's eyebrows quirked together quickly. "He is?" Her glance darted to Rin, who was still watching Inuyasha with silent, dark eyes. The taji-ya licked her lips quickly. "Where is he?" she asked in a low tone. If Sesshoumaru had returned, and all was as they'd feared, she wasn't going to have much time.

Inuyasha pursed his lips. "He's on his way to the den."

Sango's eyes widened, a sudden slice of panic shooting through her chest. "He's what?" Miroku is there; if Sesshoumaru's returned intent on killing his mate, he wouldn't hesitate to... She turned immediately, her steps taking her toward Kirara.

Inuyasha saw Sango's alarmed expression and determined stride. Shit! He darted between the taji-ya and her fire youkai. "It's okay," he broke in. "It's..." he shook his head. "It ain't what we thought would happen." He paused. "It ain't nothin' like what we thought'd happen."

Kagome bit her lip. "So, you don't think he's... going to... do anything?" She reached down, her fingers finding Rin's ponytail and threading through the soft strands gently. She watched the girl out of the corner of her eye; if she knew who they were talking about, she didn't show it.

The hanyou inhaled deeply in an effort to sort through his thoughts -- there were more than a few of them right now. "I think they're safe from him. He's..." he trailed off, his brows furrowing. "I think... I think that whatever the hell happened at Mount Olympus changed him."

"Changed him?" Kagome asked, tilting her head slightly. "How?"

Lifting his shoulders in a quick shrug, Inuyasha shook his head as he stepped away from Sango and approached Kagome. "Hard to tell, really." He thought briefly of Sesshoumaru's demeanor, his posture, the strange way he seemed to avoid the den... "He's just... different." Actually, I guess he's been kinda different for a while now.

"Different isn't always an improvement." Sango lowered her voice. "You're sure they're safe from him?"

Inuyasha thought about this for a moment before answering. Was he sure? It almost surprised him when he realized that, yes, he was. There had been very little trace of the Sesshoumaru he'd known his entire life; Inuyasha had never seen the youkai's eyes so anguished, so tormented. He'd never seen his half brother sad. Inuyasha pursed his lips and nodded once. "Yeah, I am."

***

Teles eyes widened. "And he killed a hundred demons in one stroke?"

Miroku nodded. "It was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen, especially considering he hadn't been able to master Tetsusaiga at all up until that point. The problem was, he didn't know how he'd done it."

"Fascinating," the former goddess said, shaking her head slowly. "I take it he figured it out?"

"Indeed, in fact --" Miroku reached for the ladle in the bucket of drinking water, frowning when he realized the bucket was empty. "Could you perhaps wait a moment while I refill this? I assure you, I won't forget the end of the tale."

"Of course, little monk. Please, do whatever it is you need to do." She smiled as he stood up, grabbing the bucket by the handle. "But I look forward to hearing the rest of the story."

Miroku nodded once, smiling reassuringly. "Of course, Lady Teles. I'll only be a moment."

Teles nodded, resting on her side as she watched the monk pad silently out of the chamber. Sighing softly, she pulled an open scroll closer, her eyes drifting absently over the characters, only paying half-attention to the words. Sighing, she closed her eyes as she stretched her legs out. Curling her toes, Teles absently noted the way the different muscles in her legs pulled and tightened as she flexed her calves experimentally.

Having always been a curious, observant individual, she could not help but be intrigued at the subtle -- and not so subtle -- differences she had undergone. She still was not used to the force with which emotions hit her, and the speed with which they changed. Kagome had mentioned to her once that there were things called "hormones" inside of her that were causing her to feel this way. What did she call them again? Ah, yes. "Mood swings." Indeed, that seemed like a worthy name for them.

Teles' observations were not limited to the internal. She was fascinated with the human body that had been bestowed on her. While she found it clumsy and at times incredibly uncomfortable, she was amazed at all that it required: food, rest, and exercise, as well as clothing -- never before had she felt temperatures so keenly. It was as if her entire immortal existence had been spent wrapped up in a protective shell, limiting her experiences and observations.

She relaxed into the bedding, resting one arm over her abdomen, the other arm stretched out, pillowing her head. Eyes closed, she felt her body thrum with the new rhythm that came with her human pulse. Her mind swam with images from the tales Miroku had told her of the adventures he'd been on while in Inuyasha's company, and she felt herself growing drowsy. She heard movement beyond the chamber; she hoped Miroku was having no troubles locating the water supply.

Sesshoumaru stood in the doorway to his and Teles' chamber, resting one hand against the wall. He watched in silence as his mate stretched out on the futon, resting quietly. Her body was swathed in miko robes, and the sight grated on him. He still, even after so many years, had no stomach for the familiar red and white robes. But, in spite of this, he realized the practicality of wearing the borrowed linen robes -- the diaphanous sheath Teles had usually worn had been completely destroyed.

Hesitantly, he stepped into the chamber, swallowing hard as he noticed that the scent in the room was different. He made out that of his brother, as well as the miko and their companions. But there, laced within them all, was something different -- one that smelled nothing of salt-air, though it certainly had at one time. He did not recognize the scent he knew belonged to his mate and it disturbed him greatly.

Taking a steadying breath, Sesshoumaru cleared his throat. "Teles," he said quietly.

Teles' eyes opened immediately and her head jerked up. Green eyes widening at the sight of her mate standing at the foot of the bed, she pushed herself into a sitting position. Her smile was immediate and the surge of relief almost overwhelming. He had returned, and -- more to the point -- he had returned unhurt. "Sesshoumaru!"

The smile that curved the youkai's mouth was a small one, but the warmth reached his eyes, making them gleam like amber lit by the deep gold of the late afternoon sun. He walked slowly to the futon, settling down next to her. As he did so, his eyebrows twitched into a faint frown; Teles seemed more diminutive than he last remembered her. It might have been his imagination, but that was doubtful.

"I didn't know you had returned," she said softly, reaching out and touching him lightly on the side of the face. The feel of his flesh beneath her fingertips assured her; she had not fallen asleep -- this was no dream. For reasons she could not understand, tears pricked at her eyes. As she blinked them away, she noticed Miroku standing in the doorway, carrying the bucket of fresh water. She saw the concern in his eyes as he lifted his brows inquisitively, as if to ask silently whether all was well. She gave a quick, reassuring nod, which the monk returned before disappearing from the doorway.

"I only just met Inuyasha on my way in," he replied, gazing down at her. He noticed her eyes watching something over his shoulder; when he turned, he caught only a glimpse of the monk's dark robes as he left the doorway. He turned back to his mate and regarded her for several long moments. After nearly a full minute, Sesshoumaru found that he had begun, almost involuntarily, to note the ways in which this Teles appeared subtly different. The youkai lord managed to find some small degree of comfort to find that his mate's skin was no longer the startlingly pale shade it had been before he'd left. Even though some of her color had returned, her dusky complexion no longer shimmered. Her eyes, though still green, seemed duller now, muddier; her hair, which fell in loose, tangled waves past her shoulders, no longer appeared to be threaded with gold. He licked his lips once. "How are you feeling?"

Teles leaned forward and rested her forehead against his shoulder. "I was worried. I woke up, and they had said you'd gone to see Hera. I... I was afraid I'd never see you again." She paused for a moment, relishing the smooth material of his robes against her face. Teles inhaled, trying to catch his scent, her throat tightening when she realized that she could not. For as many ways as her human form seemed to feel things so much more acutely, Teles was disappointed to discover that her sense of smell was not as sensitive as it once had been. It also occurred to her that she hadn't been able to feel him enter the room -- she had always been able to sense his presence before. Now... now, she'd had no idea that he'd been standing right there. Swallowing once, she pushed a smile onto her features. "I'm feeling a great deal better."

Nodding, Sesshoumaru reached up and ran his claws through her hair, absently noting that it was a bit coarser than it had been. "Good. And the child?"

She glanced up, a wry expression dancing in the green depths of her eyes. "Active. Exceedingly so."


He chuckled softly. "I'm glad, but..."

One dark eyebrow arched. "But...?"


"It must be... difficult for you now," he said, his voice low.


The wry smile faded a bit. "I will admit... there are certain things I've had to get used to."


"Oh?" Indeed, the news did not surprise him. He'd been wondering how things had changed for her.

"The pup is... I feel his activity more now than I did," she said, glancing away quickly before bringing her eyes back to his face. "Sometimes it... is not pleasant. And..." Here, Teles licked her lips; how would he react to this? "And there was a wound on my shoulder that would not heal."


The words hit the youkai lord with such force that it was an effort to keep his expression changeless. In fact, Sesshoumaru's only movements came when he swallowed, and when he tightened his hand against his thigh. "Would not heal?" he echoed with no small amount of effort.


Teles nodded. "Apparently. Sango, the taji-ya, had to stitch the wound."


Sesshoumaru's eyes widened. "Stitch?" he asked, horrified.

Biting her lip against his tone, Teles nodded. "I'll warrant, it sounds barbaric, but it was necessary." She felt a sudden, absurd urge to apologize for the sutures Sango had put into her flesh. Teles swallowed, shoving aside the ridiculous urge. Surely thread in her flesh was preferable to horrific scarring.

Sesshoumaru's response was a slow, dubious nod. "May I... see?"


Cold panic slid down her back. He wanted to see? She thought of the fading welts and marks littering her back and felt faintly sick at the idea of her mate seeing her so damaged. "If... if you..." Teles swallowed hard. "If you really want to..." She looked down at herself and unfastened the ties on the miko robes, shrugging out of the shirt, flushing in embarrassment.

Frowning at the hesitation in her voice, Sesshoumaru watched in silence as she pulled the material away from her body.

"My left shoulder blade," she said, her voice almost inaudible as she angled her back towards him.

The youkai lord nodded once, situating himself behind Teles. When he glanced down at her back, he found himself startled by the fact that, although some of the welts had faded, many -- too many -- were still visible. The wound at her shoulder blade, however, glared up angrily at him. His eyes widened at the sight, and sudden anger flared up in his chest, mingling with a slender ribbon of terror. There is thread in her flesh. How do humans manage to survive past childhood? "What happens to the... thread?" he asked coolly.

She closed her eyes, almost able to feel his gaze scrutinize her back. Itching to slip back into her linen barrier, she murmured, "Once the wound begins to heal on its own, it is removed."

"...How long does that take?"


"I... I'm not sure. A few more days, possibly."


Sesshoumaru shook his head slowly. "I... see."

The discomfort was more than Teles could bear. She pulled her arms through the white linen shirt, fastening it carefully. Her human body felt heavy and clumsy before. Now it felt hideously disfigured as well. Miroku's words replayed themselves in her mind, taunting her. '...I spoke sincerely. You are quite lovely.' She looked down at her hands, avoiding her mate's inquisitive gaze. Why did he make her feel like this? She hadn't felt at all awkward with any of the others -- individuals she'd only known a few days. Why did her mate's presence cause her such uneasiness? In fact, she'd been angry with him early on -- how could he have left her like he had? Yes, she'd been quite angry. And yet, she couldn't find it in herself to recover that anger -- his return brought a relief so overpowering that she simply could not locate it.

Sesshoumaru regarded Teles in silence, tilting his head slightly as he watched her. He took in her posture, the way she continually avoided his eyes -- he could even smell her discomfiture. At least, he was fairly sure it was that -- the nuances of her scent had changed too much for him to ascertain exactly what she was feeling. Sesshoumaru felt his temper flare, biting down on it immediately.

Sneaking a glance at him through her bangs, Teles felt the most overwhelming desire to change the subject. The silence hanging in the air was too thick, too uncomfortable, too awkward to overlook. Neither of them had spoken for many moments, and lull was impossible to ignore. She licked her lips, lightly touching the open scroll next to her. "I... I knew that your father and Lord Ryujin had been allies, but... reading about the encounter from your father's point of view is positively fascinating." She swallowed, waiting for his response. It was odd; she was absolutely giddy with relief that he was there, but was unable shake the nagging feeling that something was not right. Why did this feel so strange? Why were they unable to speak to each other?


Absently, Sesshoumaru ran his fingers across the scroll. "It was a large concession on father's part, to admit he could not hold the lands alone. He disliked admitting there was anything he could not do."

She looked up at him, a small half-smile in place. "That sounds somewhat familiar."


The youkai lord's mouth quirked slightly. "There are a few traits he and I share." He paused for a moment, thinking. "As... there are a few you share with your mother."

"I think that is one trait that must run through all of the men in your line, as I've learned from spending so much time around your --" Teles paused suddenly, her face draining of color as Sesshoumaru's words sunk in. "What did you just say?" she asked faintly.

Brows quirking in puzzlement, he replied, "Your mother. You have much in common with her."

The former goddess blinked, feeling as if all the air had been pulled out of her chest. "My mother?"

"I saw her, when I was in Greece." Noting her stricken expression, he sighed, shaking his head. "I'm sorry. I meant to tell you more gently." Against his will, Sesshoumaru felt a prick of annoyance that this news startled her so much. He willed the exasperation away, but it seemed to leave a residue. Where had her innate serenity gone?

Teles shook her head quickly. "No, I... I'm sorry. I just..." She paused, leaning forward, watching him intently. "Who is she?"

"Aphrodite," he replied, pronouncing the name carefully.

Teles blinked once, then twice as both eyebrows lifted. Aphrodite? My mother?

Not observing his mate's expression, Sesshoumaru frowned faintly. "She has the oddest worshipers, I must say...."

Teles laughed softly at that and, for a second, the awkwardness subsided. "Yes. Yes, I suppose she does..." Her words trailed off and she shook her head slowly, a bit overwhelmed. "I ... I knew her all that time, and... and I never knew..."

"She knew you belonged in the sea," he replied gently.

Perhaps, at one time, I belonged in the sea. Now my place is here. A soft sigh escaped her. "So, what did you think of her?" A small smirk lit Teles' lips. "Man and god alike find her irresistible."

The youkai lord gave a graceful shrug. "She was.... attractive enough, I suppose. I mostly noticed when she looked like you."

Teles looked down for a moment, her cheeks coloring with pleasure instead of embarrassment for once. "She... reminded you of me?"

"Mostly when she was condescending," he riposted dryly, sliding his arms around her.

The former goddess chuckled softly. "I wasn't quite that bad. Was I?"

He blinked once. "Perhaps you're referring to the time you attempted to crush my chest?"

Closing her eyes, Teles smiled self-deprecatingly. "Perhaps I was that bad."

Pulling her a bit closer, a small smile teased at the youkai's lips as he recalled their early battles. She had been haughty and condescending, sparking his temper with just a lift of her eyebrow as she taunted and provoked him. He remembered the sensation of her power winding around him, the way it had felt when she'd used her magic on him, her ferocity on the battlefield. He nuzzled her hair for a moment, but when the familiar scent of salt-air failed to meet him, Sesshoumaru's smile faded. For the barest moment, he'd forgotten. He swallowed hard, feeling guilt and residual anger burn in his chest.

Her face pressed against his chest, Teles did not see the myriad of emotions cross Sesshoumaru's face. "Well... you're quite safe from me now," she murmured softly. Her throat tightened, but she was determined not to sound wistful or sad. The life she held within her would be safe now -- immortality was a small price to pay for the safety of her child. Their child.
"Safe from you? Yes... I suppose I am," Sesshoumaru murmured against her hair.

Clearing her throat softly, Teles pointedly tapped a fingernail against his armor. "And, because you're safe from me... this is hardly necessary."

Faintly startled, Sesshoumaru looked down. "Ah, I forgot." His mouth quirked faintly. "I fear I was in haste."

A small smile curled Teles' lips as she watched him stand, preparatory to shedding his armor. As he did so, she felt the pup within wake from its too-short rest and stretch, shifting inside of her. Her smile froze as she grit her teeth. The movement was not as rough as it had been earlier, but the pup was still quite impossible to ignore.

Sesshoumaru stopped abruptly, his gaze jerking down to her. "Are you all right? What--"

"I'm fine," she managed through clenched teeth. "It's your damnably active offspring." She watched as he removed the armor, setting it aside quickly but carefully before lowering himself next to her on the futon, watching her with the same sort of helpless expression she'd seen on everybody's faces for the past few days. Closing her eyes, Teles waited patiently for the sensation to pass.

"What can be done?" he asked, his voice taut with anxiety. Surely there had to be something that could ease the discomfort -- some sort of herb, perhaps. Certainly she could not have spent his entire absence experiencing pain with nothing whatsoever to ease it. Guilt pricked sharply at him -- not only had she been injured, but she'd been going through this as well, and he hadn't been there.

Looking up at him, Teles pushed an errant lock of hair away from her face. "You wish to know what can be done?" When Sesshoumaru gave her a silent nod, she shifted slightly on the futon, facing him as she lay down on her side. "Lie down."

Blinking, Sesshoumaru stared down at the former goddess, who was looking back at him expectantly. Lie down? How on earth would that possibly ease the pup? He felt almost awkward for a moment, unsure of what to do once he did lie back onto the bedding. Surely, she doesn't want to... No. No, of course not. He shook his head briskly, finally obliging her as he settled back. He lay on his right side, propping himself up with his elbow.

A small smile lit her lips as she curled up against his warmth. Yes, this was what she'd been missing -- this was what she'd been craving for the past five days. This made everything seem not so completely hopeless. Her mate had returned -- he had not been killed, he had not been wounded. She gazed up at him, allowing herself to get lost in the amber depths of his eyes for a moment. That she could not find anger towards him for leaving when he had seemed irrelevant now. "Give me your hand," she murmured.

Wordlessly, he gave Teles his left hand. He watched as she took it in her own, placing his hand on her swollen belly, resting her hand atop his.

"Now..." Her words trailed off as a faint frown caused her eyebrows to twitch together. Wait... She blinked, staring at the hand resting gently on her abdomen. It was well-formed and elegant, with perfectly tapered claws. Slowly, she pushed up his sleeve, pausing when she saw a pair of magenta stripes on his forearm. Confusion clouded her features for a long moment. That is his left hand, is it not? "Sesshoumaru?" Teles' voice was soft and almost hoarse.

Sesshoumaru swallowed hard, watching as her confused frown deepened. Anxiety flared in his chest, causing it to tighten; she had noticed his hand. "Yes?" he replied, managing to keep his tone even.

Teles swallowed, marveling at the hand clasped in hers. Some distant sliver of her mind noticed also that her hand seemed so much smaller in his than it had before, but that somehow seemed less important than the presence of the hand itself. "Is that..."

"A gift," he replied quietly.

"A gift?" she echoed, blinking. "From whom?" Teles realized the answer before the question had time to hang in the air. Her eyes widened immediately. "Dear gods, she... she gave you..." excitement crackled in her voice and her grip tightened.

Any apprehension Sesshoumaru might have had regarding Teles' reaction to his new appendage vanished as he watched her twine her fingers in his, turning his hand this way and that, staring in awe. He smiled to himself. Suddenly, the idea that she would resent him seemed ludicrous. Sesshoumaru gazed down at his mate who, though stripped of immortality and divinity, was looking at him, a brilliant smile lighting her features. His fears had never seemed more groundless. Nodding, he replied, "To protect her daughter. And... her grand-child." As she leaned forward, impulsively dropping a kiss against his lips, Sesshoumaru let his lips work gently across her mouth -- far more gently than he would have before.

Too wrapped up in the fact that not only had her mate returned unharmed, but he had returned unharmed with an arm, Teles did not notice the subtle change in Sesshoumaru's display of affection. She pulled away, smiling, glancing down again at their joined hands. "The better to feel your child with then, mate," she whispered. Pressing his hand against her stomach, Teles allowed herself to relax against the youkai, reveling in the warmth of the solid body next to her.

Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and tried to relax. Though he had failed her, she did not hate him for it -- there was nothing of hate, resentment, or enmity in either her gaze or her actions. Her immortality had vanished into the ether; she was not and would never be a goddess ever again. But instead of concentrating on what was lost, Sesshoumaru forced his mind to consider what he still had. After a few moments of contemplation, he felt Teles' body stiffen as she inhaled sharply. At the same time, something twitched under his hand. Blinking, Sesshoumaru sat up, placing his other hand on her stomach as well. After a few more seconds, he was rewarded with another twitch. He felt his throat close in response.

Teles watched Sesshoumaru in silence, a small smile playing about her lips. Yes, the discomfort was still present, but was significantly lessened. Perhaps it was the expression on his face that made her not mind the pup's movements so much. Indeed, his reaction made any discomfort worthwhile. "I think he's also glad to see you," she murmured.

"Evidently," he replied softly. My child. The fact that the child would not be a demi-god, the fact that he would not be full-blooded youkai faded into the background, and was replaced by comfort in the knowledge that he would be safe and not hunted by its mother's Olympian kin. Perhaps Inuyasha was right, again -- though Sesshoumaru would never admit such a thing aloud, particularly to the hanyou himself.

The soft sound of a throat clearing caused them both to look up. The hanyou in question stood in the doorway, watching Sesshoumaru and Teles with an unreadable expression in his tawny eyes. There was a beat of silence during which Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha exchanged a meaningful glance.

"We gotta go," the younger brother said, his usually husky voice soft.

The disappointment was writ large on Teles' features. "So soon?" she asked, frowning. "Sesshoumaru only just returned. Certainly you could stay one more--"

"We really shouldn't," Inuyasha replied, albeit reluctantly. "There's things we need to do, things we got to get back to."

"Ah," Teles said, nodding once. "The Shikon no Tama." When Inuyasha's eyebrows lifted slightly, she allowed herself a small smile and looked down. "You and your friends were right; it truly is a 'long story.' But I've heard enough parts of the whole to begin to understand its importance -- the Shikon no Tama as well as Naraku. You do have a great deal ahead of you."

After a moment, Inuyasha pursed his lips. "Anyway, we were gonna just go, but..." Here he gave a small shrug. "They wanted to say 'bye."

A fleeting smile played at Sesshoumaru's lips for a moment. "Ah, yes. They did." He felt Teles move slightly as she began to push herself up from the futon. Glancing at her, a small frown tugging at his brows, he asked, "You're well enough to leave your bed?"

The former goddess stood gingerly, placing a hand at the base of her spine as she stretched carefully. "I've left my bed a few times recently." Dry humor sparked in her eyes. "I think I can muddle through another excursion." She watched as Sesshoumaru stood, a faint knot of apprehension forming her chest when she realized how very tall he seemed now. Why is that? He couldn't have grown during his absence. Teles swallowed, looking up at him -- in that instant she recalled how small her hand had seemed in his; only minutes ago she'd been ready to brush the idea off as a figment of her imagination. But it was no figment: her human body was shorter. She hadn't been as tall as Sesshoumaru, but she'd been tall enough to look him in the eye when the situation called for it.

For his part, Sesshoumaru had also noticed the distinct change in his mate's physicality. She was nearly a half a head shorter than he, only barely coming up to his nose when they stood facing each other. In fact, it would have been impossible for him to have not noticed the change. Likewise, he was sure that she noticed it, but both of them actively decided against calling attention to the obvious difference in height. Instead, Sesshoumaru offered her his arm for support. She accepted it, leaning against him as they ventured into the main hall to say their goodbyes.

"Sesshoumaru-sama!!" Rin came running at full speed, flinging herself around one of Sesshoumaru's legs. "You're back!"

The youkai glanced down at the young girl, a faint glimmer of alarm in his eyes. She hugged him tightly and, after a few moments of this, he reached down and ran his claws through the silky black hair. "Yes, Rin." He looked up, mildly discomfited to see the monk, the taji-ya, the miko, his half-brother, and even the fire-youkai watching him with open curiosity and, in Inuyasha's case, not a little amusement.

Kagome cleared her throat softly in an effort to put an end to the slightly awkward silence that had settled over the hall at the sight of Rin's open -- and enthusiastic -- display of affection for the youkai lord -- and his consequent discomfort. She offered Teles a small, smile, which the former goddess returned. "I don't need to tell you not to overdo it, do I?"

"Of course not. But I could not very well let you all leave without saying good-bye." She took a few steps toward the young woman, gently grasping Kagome's hands in her own and giving them a light squeeze.

A small smile curved Sango's lips as she watched the exchange. Sesshoumaru, the great demon lord of the western lands, soon to be father to a hanyou pup. Given everything she'd seen and heard about the youkai, the taji-ya was sure none of them would have ever anticipated this scene. Her eyes drifted down to Teles' rounded stomach. Another hanyou in the family line. A grin quirked her lips. To have one hanyou in a youkai's lineage is rare enough, but two... that's nearly unheard of.

"Well..." Kagome started, a thoughtful frown bringing her eyebrows together. "Maybe... sometime, we could..." her eyes darted over to Inuyasha, who was watching her warily. "Visit?"

Inuyasha opened his mouth to object -- not that he had any strong objections, but he didn't feel inclined to resist the reflex. His mouth had barely formed the word "no" when Miroku interrupted smoothly.

"I think that's a wonderful idea, Lady Kagome. I did not have ample opportunity to finish the tale I was sharing with Lady Teles earlier. Perhaps, if we returned at some point..."

A faint grin tugged at Sango's lips as she nodded. "And I'm sure Shippou would like to come along as well," she said, glancing at Sesshoumaru's charge. The kit would probably like someone more his own size to play with. Her brows quirked almost immediately at this train of thought -- hopefully Shippou's bad habits wouldn't rub off on the girl. She watched as Rin disentangled herself from around the youkai's leg, padding silently to Teles and wrapping her arms around the woman's leg. Again, Sango's eyes went to the pregnant woman's abdomen, her eyebrows drawing together as a tiny ribbon of thought nagged at the back of her mind. She mentally pushed it aside for the moment, turning her attention back to the conversation.

Teles' smile was instant. "Are you sure you could find the time?" she asked, her eyes sliding to Inuyasha, who was standing off to the side, arms folded, pretending not to listen.

"Every journey requires the occasional rest, Lady Teles," Miroku said, smiling. "I'm sure we could find time to see how Inuyasha's niece or nephew is... developing." He glanced at his companions. Only Inuyasha seemed less than pleased with the suggestion, but that was only until one looked carefully at his face and noticed the studious way in which he refused to look at any of them. "Perhaps in a week or two?" Turning violet eyes to the hanyou, Miroku fought to keep his features neutral. "Is that amenable to you, Inuyasha?"

Giving a careless shrug, Inuyasha's gaze went to the ceiling. "Keh. Whatever."

Teles opened her mouth to reply -- to say yes, absolutely, please come back. But something gave her pause. Something unidentifiable tugged uncomfortably at her gut, keeping the answer from forming. Of course she wanted them to come back. She quite enjoyed hearing Kagome's tales about her time, and Miroku had told her about several of their adventures; Teles wanted to hear more. And, more to the point, she had come to enjoy their company. But something kept her from answering. Without thinking, she looked over her shoulder at Sesshoumaru, who was watching her intently. "Could they, Sesshoumaru?"

The question so took the youkai lord by surprise, he wasn't sure what she was asking him. "Could they...?" he echoed, frowning.

Teles cleared her throat softly. "Might your brother and his companions... visit sometime?"

He blinked. She was asking... permission? The very idea that Teles would request his permission for anything was unheard of. In fact, the concept of permission was something she only occasionally indulged in, referring to it as a formality dictated by etiquette. He glanced down at her, noting the hopefulness with which she watched him. No, this was not a formality; she was watching him intently, waiting for his answer. Not only that, but she seemed to be acting as if whatever his answer might have been would have made a difference. His mouth worked silently for only a fraction of a second. "I... do not see any problem with such an arrangement."

Though his reward was a smile, Sesshoumaru could not rid himself of the uneasiness that had suddenly settled in his stomach.

***

Much later that night, after Inuyasha and the rest of the group had left, promising to return in a few weeks' time, and after Teles had retired for the evening, Sesshoumaru sat cross-legged by the fire, resting his hands on his knees. Rin padded in, smiling at him in the flickering firelight.

"Jaken-sama said you wanted to speak with me, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"Yes, Rin." He nodded once, gesturing to a small cushion across from him. "Please, sit." He watched as the small girl knelt delicately on the cushion. She was still smiling at him and he found that her smile offered him even more comfort than usual. Rin did not perceive his journey as a failed one, nor had her scent changed during his absence; Rin was constant. Rin was...

Rin was watching him expectantly. He cleared his throat, unsure of how to proceed. "Are you well?"

She nodded once. "Uh huh. Even though Teles-sama was in bed almost the whole time, I got to play with Kagome and she taught me some games, and then she told me stories, and they told me that you were going to get Teles-sama healed. Is she better yet, Sesshoumaru-sama? I'd really like to go wading."

Sesshoumaru winced internally. "She... is as healed as I can make her, Rin."

Dark eyes lit up and Rin's smile widened. "So, she's all better?" She slid off of the cushion and flung herself at the youkai, hugging him tightly. "I knew you could fix her, Sesshoumaru-sama."

Closing his eyes, Sesshoumaru found himself struggling for words. She will never be a goddess again. She...

The young girl pulled back suddenly, eyes wide, excitement lighting her features. "Can I go wading with Teles-sama tomorrow, Sesshoumaru-sama?"


Swallowing hard, Sesshoumaru gently took the child by the shoulders, looking down into the youthful face. "Rin."

"Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama?"

"I need you to listen to me carefully." After a brief moment, Rin nodded solemnly. Steeling himself, Sesshoumaru gathered the words he needed, carefully arranging them in his mind. "Teles-sama is no longer able to control the water. There... were some things I was unable to fix. This was one of them. So if you go wading, you must be careful." He paused for a moment. "Besides that, it is growing colder now. The stream is far too cold for you to go wading."

Upon hearing this, Rin's face fell. "Oh," she said softly. "So, she's not all better?"

That familiar, damnable ache made the youkai's chest contract once again. He despised the feeling and, even more so, he loathed the fact that he could do nothing about it. "No."

Rin gnawed worriedly on her bottom lip. Of course Teles-sama had to be all better -- she seemed better now than she did before. But, Sesshoumaru-sama couldn't be wrong... "But she'll get better, right?"

"No," he replied as gently as possible. "She will never be able to make the water do tricks again." He stared helplessly at the child as she blinked slowly, absorbing the news. "She is human now, like you."

"She's like me now?"

"Yes."

"And I'm... just like her?"

Again, Sesshoumaru nodded. Almost as if by magic, a huge, gap-toothed grin spread across Rin's features. "It's okay she can't do stuff with water anymore, Sesshoumaru-sama. I'm still glad you brought her home."

A ribbon of relief slid through him, and the faintest glimmer of a smile touched at his lips. "So am I, Rin."

A/N: *sigh* Forgive any formatting problems in this chapter. For some reason, the document wasn't uploading correctly, and I had to go in and actually fiddle with the code. Not being a code-fiddler by trade, my best turned out to be only mediocre. But at least there aren't huge, eye-crossing blocks of text anymore.