InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Monsters ❯ Chapter 37: ...Is That of an Oncoming Train? ( Chapter 37 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A/N: Whee! The holiday season is over! (Mind you, I'm only cheering because the stress of it all is finally gone. I go back to work next week, and have been doing more than my fair share of grumbling over the fact.) But, anyway, on to my thank-yous! Turtle cheesecake to Nanda-chan for still being willing to brave OGAM spoilers, and a deep bow of thanks to Ithilwen for her nit-pickiness (it's fruitless to thank the CEO of Chaos Baked Goods with, well, baked goods). Supportive hugs to Merith and Kat, who had as insane a holiday as I did, and, of course, a great big schnitzel of thanks to Everstar, who, when she returns, will have to tell me what, exactly, schnitzel tastes like.

Quickie Reminder Disclaimer: Yeah, I still don't own this stuff. Rumiko Takahashi -- it's all her. Me, I just borrow them.

Chapter 37: ...Is That of an Oncoming Train?

At the sound of the voice, Inuyasha spun, nearly drawing reflexively. Before them was a woman with cascading copper hair, dressed in a style similar to Teles prior to her transformation. She was watching them all with an expression of veiled - if benign - amusement. Upon realizing that he had no idea who the newcomer was, he drew Tetsusaiga from its sheath. "Who the fuck are you?" he growled, settling into a defensive stance.

Kagome and Teles had whirled around as well, the young girl staring in puzzlement while the pregnant woman blinked in recognition. "Aphrodite?" she breathed, eyes widening in disbelief. "Inuyasha," Teles said, her voice soft, but holding a thread of urgency, "it's... that's my mother."

The hanyou sent her a long, dubious look. "You sure?" he asked once, his gaze returning to the redheaded woman, eyeing her warily. He hadn't been entirely sure that goddesses could have parents - obviously he'd been mistaken.

"Mother?" Kagome echoed, eyebrows lifting nearly to her hairline. "And, wait, did you say Aphrodite?" When Teles nodded, Kagome leaned closer. "Your mother... is Aphrodite?"

"I am indeed, little priestess," the goddess replied, enigmatic amusement dancing in the gray depths of her eyes.


"Who the hell's Aphrodite?" Inuyasha asked impatiently, reluctantly returning Tetsusaiga to its scabbard.

"The Greek goddess of love," Kagome whispered urgently.

Inuyasha looked again at the goddess, taking in her nearly transparent sheath and the pearlescent glow that came from her skin. "Guess that explains a few things," he replied dryly.

"What, exactly, do you think it explains, little hanyou?" Aphrodite asked, tilting her head, a mysterious smile playing about her lips.

He regarded her for a long moment, one dark eyebrow cocked. That outfit, for one thing. "How the hell you snuck up on me."

"Mmm, yes. Among other things," she murmured knowingly. After a moment, she turned her attention to Teles, who was leaning against the well, one hand at her abdomen. "But, back to the business at hand."

Teles swallowed hard, trying to tamp down the huge surge of disappointment that had burgeoned with her mother's words. "It... isn't going to work?" she asked, her voice suddenly hoarse and taut with tension. Her only opportunity to go where Sesshoumaru could not follow, and it wasn't going to work? It wasn't as if there were a plethora of options available to her - this was their only real chance, and it was yanked out of her grasp before she could fully reach it. "H-how do you know?"

Heaving a sigh, Aphrodite closed the distance to her daughter. "How do you think I know, Teles?"

Looking down and closing her eyes, the former goddess shook her head. Some things were so powerful that even a foreign god or goddess could know it. "I suppose that figures, doesn't it?"

Aphrodite nodded slowly before leaning over to peer into the well. "Remarkable. It looks like something so ordinary on the outside." She was quiet for a moment, weighing her words, choosing them carefully. "As it turns out, I've been forbidden from interfering in your affairs - until a certain point, that is."

"I see," Teles said quietly. "Forbidden." She licked her lips and swallowed. "Forbidden by whom?"

"The Fates," Aphrodite muttered in annoyance, "troublesome creatures that they are."

"Wait," Kagome interjected, stepping forward. "The Fates? The Fates?" Aphrodite only rolled her eyes, making a face as she nodded. But Kagome's eyes widened in awe. "You mean... the women with the shears and the thread and the... measuring tape? Those Fates?"

Inuyasha looked at her inquisitively. "The what tape?" But Kagome shushed him.

Her gray eyes turning to Inuyasha, Aphrodite pressed her palms together as she contemplated her answer. "Yes. Those Fates. The Moirae are the creatures that hold power over the lives of Greek mortals. They are more powerful than any god or goddess - even Hera fears them. One sister spins the thread of life, one measures it, and one cuts it."

"Okay," Inuyasha said, a nod illustrating his comprehension. "So these Fates... they don't want you messin' with Teles?"

"Exactly," she answered, her annoyance writ large on her face. "When my daughter was reborn in these lands, she was ... born under the jurisdiction of these gods and goddesses and are subject to their laws as a result. She no longer belongs to our pantheon. You see, the Fates... do not reward interference, be it man or god. They revealed to me what would occur were I to interfere before I was supposed to." She pursed her lips in silence for a moment. "They would not typically do such a thing, but they were not pleased with what Hera did to Teles."

"Nobody was," Inuyasha returned dryly.

But Kagome was nodding. "So... they're going... to let you do something now? Because they're mad at Hera?"

"Hera consulted the Fates," Aphrodite explained patiently, "but didn't pay them any mind. They have already stopped me from interfering once before because the outcome would have been disastrous. This is when I am supposed to aid my daughter. This is what I am supposed to do," here she sent a maternal smile in Teles' direction, "for the best possible outcome. In essence, Hera has displeased them, and this is their way of... displeasing her." The goddess saw that the hanyou wore a small, slightly smug grin, and she smiled in return.

Teles was at first nodding slowly, but then stopped, staring at Aphrodite in quiet shock. "You've been here this entire time?"

"I've been watching, yes," the goddess answered, looking away for a moment.

Inuyasha's expression was one of pure incredulity. "And you let Sesshoumaru be a dumbass?"

"Why do you think I wished to interfere earlier?" the goddess retorted wryly. "I could see he was behaving like an utter imbecile. But I was not permitted to intervene. I assure you, had I no limitations, I would have. But even then - had I intervened, the end result would have been even worse than it is right now."

"Okay," Kagome said slowly, her mind working to come up with an alternative plan. "So, what are you going to do?"

Rather than responding, the goddess held out her hand, closed in a fist. After a moment, a soft white light emanated from her hand, streaming out between her fingers. All could feel the warmth the faint glow provided, though the light was not particularly bright. Kagome watched in awestruck silence, her eyes growing huge as she felt the goddess' power swell while the light grew in intensity. Before too long, the light faded and Aphrodite opened her hand, revealing a gleaming set of beads; a string of flawless pearls were pooled in the goddess' palm.

There was a beat of silence, during which Inuyasha lifted an eyebrow. "Ya know, I don't even think gettin' sat is gonna help keep my brother in line." Golden eyes fixed on the goddess. "But, hey - can I watch anyway?"

Aphrodite stared at Inuyasha, bemused - but only for a moment. She tilted her head back and laughed suddenly - a pleasant, musical sound. "No, no," she said, the laughter dwindling to chuckles. "I am afraid, little hanyou, that this is not a subduing necklace. Although," she added, looking at the beads around Inuyasha's neck, "I can see where you might have gotten the idea." She lifted her gaze to meet her daughter's eyes. "These are for you, Teles. Wear them, and they will allow you passage from this world to the other, provided you are in the company of either the little priestess or the little hanyou." She handed the pearls to the former goddess, whose fingers traced the unblemished spheres.

Inuyasha shot Kagome a quick look, mouthing the word, "Little?" Kagome only shook her head, silently urging Inuyasha to remain quiet.

Still staring at the pearls she held in her hand, Teles cleared her throat softly. "You said you've been watching," she said quietly.

Aphrodite nodded once. "I have," she answered evenly, offering no further elaboration.

The former goddess looked up, her green eyes meeting her mother's gray gaze. A multitude of questions swirled around her mind. Do I repulse him? Will he relish my absence? Or does he love me still? She asked none of these, though they were at the forefront of her mind. Clearing her throat, she asked, "Does he know that I'm gone?"

Aphrodite didn't answer right away, contemplating her answer before delivering it. "No, he doesn't. Not yet." Immediately, Inuyasha and Kagome both blew out relieved breaths as Teles placed the beads over her head, settling them around her neck.

"Very well," she said, inclining her head, the proud tilt of her chin making her look like the divinity she'd once been.

The Greek goddess looked at her daughter for several long moments before closing the distance between them and reaching up to place a light touch on her cheek. "Teles. I am sorry I've not been... particularly accessible to you. I hope this in some small part makes up for it."

Swallowing, Teles nodded slowly, bringing her hand up to close over her mother's fingers. "It does... help. Thank you."

They remained like that for nearly a full minute before Inuyasha cleared his throat softly. "I hate to say it, but..."

Dropping her hand, Aphrodite took one step backwards. "Yes. You're quite right, hanyou Inuyasha." She regarded him for a moment, clearly deliberating over something. When he tilted an eyebrow at her, she gave an almost imperceptible nod. Then, in the faintest whisper, loud enough only for the hanyou's sensitive ears to discern, she breathed, "Be careful. He will not take this well."

Aside from the comprehension reflected in the tawny depths of his eyes, Inuyasha revealed no other sign that he'd heard the goddess' warning. Satisfied with this, Aphrodite suddenly faded, dissipating into a pastel mist with the faint scent of unseen flowers.

Teles stared at the spot where the goddess had stood only moments before, her fingers lightly toying with one of the smooth pearls. She was certainly relieved to find out that her mate was not at that moment searching for her. That knowledge made their urgency abate slightly. She was in no immediate danger - none of them were, at present. But, hiding under that relief, a tiny thread in a larger tapestry, was only the tiniest twinge of guilt. He had no idea she was gone. Gritting her teeth, Teles shook off the sensation; she had no reason to feel guilty for her departure - particularly after how he'd treated her.

And yet, there was Rin, who probably didn't know she was gone either. Guilt surged up again, leaving a bitter taste on her tongue. She brought one of her hands to her obi, feeling the child's pictures still folded against her body. Touching the sheets brought her a nominal amount of peace, but did nothing to alleviate her guilt. She closed her eyes, inhaling a deep, steadying breath. Gods, Rin, please forgive me.

Kagome was watching Teles carefully, noting the emotions that played across her face. She was fairly sure that the former goddess wasn't going to change her mind, but that didn't mean that leaving the land that had become her home was going to be any easier. She cleared her throat discreetly. "So... what's the best way to do this?"

"I'm gonna help you take her through, and then I'm comin' back," Inuyasha replied, staring at a point in the middle distance. His features, while not set in a scowl, were serious - almost grave.

"Inuyasha, wait," Kagome said, turning to stare at him. "Did you say... come back?"

Inuyasha responded with a short nod. "Yeah." He still would not meet her eyes.

Swallowing hard, Kagome shook her head, staring at him in shock. "What do you mean, 'come back'? Sesshoumaru doesn't know she's gone yet -- but he's going to figure it out, and then you know as well as I do where he's going to look first."

"Right," he answered evenly. "He's gonna start in the village. And when he figures out this is where her trail ends, he's gonna be in one of those 'demolish first, ask questions later' moods." He looked at her for a long moment. "I gotta come back, Kagome. I have to be here when he gets here," Inuyasha said. His voice was low, but there was an undertone of steel to his words.

"Then... I'll stay behind for a little while and get Teles settled," Kagome suggested firmly. "Then I'll come back to help."

Inuyasha heaved a sigh. "Look, can we go through first?"

Swallowing hard, Kagome stared at Inuyasha - her friend, her best friend, and now her mate. "I'm... coming back. To help you." Aren't I?

When Inuyasha didn't answer, Kagome felt almost nauseous. And when he turned to face Teles, uttering a short, "C'mon," the young miko felt her stomach clench. She knew - she knew without asking, without him telling her - that he did not want her coming back, at least not right away.

Another surge of guilt rose in the pregnant woman's chest as she watched the byplay between Inuyasha and Kagome. She had never wanted this to happen. She had simply wanted to get away from Sesshoumaru. She could have lived her entire life without seeing the look of hurt in Kagome's eyes, or the way she moved numbly to the well, climbing up on the lip. Dammit. Damn it, damn it, damn it. Teles closed her eyes as Inuyasha picked her up once more. Mechanically wrapping her arms around his neck, she managed in a soft whisper, "I'm sorry."

"Don't worry 'bout it," he muttered softly, hopping up to the well's edge. "Sesshoumaru ain't gettin' this pup."

Without another word, Inuyasha and Kagome jumped, taking Teles down with them into the well. For her part, Teles' eyes were clenched tightly shut, her hands unconsciously fisting in Inuyasha's haori. She couldn't see what happened next, but was infinitely aware of the length of the drop - they should have landed, but instead seemed to be floating. And then, strangely, the sensation of falling simply ended. There wasn't a landing, they simply... stopped falling. When Teles pried her eyes open, she saw that they were at the base of the well. Glancing up, Teles found that she could not see the blue and pink morning sky - instead, there seemed to be a structure of some sort over them.

"See?" Kagome asked, her voice just a little too bright. "Perfectly safe." She reached up and grabbed the ladder that hung over the side of the well, climbing swiftly upward.

Inuyasha tracked her with his eyes for a moment, sighing inwardly. Setting his jaw, he looked down at his brother's fugitive mate. Unless he was missing his guess, Sesshoumaru was going to be pissed beyond comprehension when he figured out that Teles was gone. Even if he didn't care for her anymore, even if he had reverted to his original attitude, Sesshoumaru was not one who took losing well. He'd battled his brother before - plenty of times before - but Inuyasha couldn't shake the sense of foreboding that had settled over him. This was going to be bad.

Resolutely shoving these thoughts aside, he breathed deeply, taking in the familiar scent of the well-house. "I thought y'might have a hard time with the ladder, so figured on us takin' the short way out." As Teles opened her mouth to ask what "the short way" might have meant, Inuyasha leapt upward, landing firmly on the ground of the well house. He was setting Teles on her feet as Kagome jumped over the side.

The girl set her yellow pack on the ground before dusting herself off. She bit her lip for a moment before taking a deep breath and squaring her shoulders. "Teles... there's a courtyard just outside. If you wouldn't mind... waiting there? Then I'll, um... show you the shrine." She could feel Inuyasha's eyes on her, but made herself hold her gaze on the former goddess.

Shrugging out of Inuyasha's haori and handing it to him, Teles glanced briefly between the two before nodding slowly and ascending the few wooden steps, sliding the well-house door open and closing it behind her.

The silence that had settled on the small building was thick and almost smothering; the only sound was the gentle rustling of fabric as Inuyasha pulled his haori on. When Kagome turned to look at him, she saw that his arms were crossed over his chest, hidden in the vast red sleeves; he kept his golden gaze focused on an invisible point, but wasn't meeting Kagome's eyes. She pursed her lips. That was never a good sign. Inuyasha seldom avoided her eyes.

Swallowing hard, she strode closer to him. "You... don't want me coming through with you," she managed softly. In spite of her best efforts, she could feel the traitorous tears prick at her eyes, and could feel them gathering, making her vision wavy; suddenly everything had soft edges, like a watercolor painting. "Look at me, Inuyasha" she whispered brokenly. "Look at me and tell me you don't want me coming through."

Lifting his gaze and finally looking at Kagome, Inuyasha cringed. Her eyes were glassy with tears, and what was even worse was the defiant tilt of her chin that made it clear that Kagome had no intention of shedding those tears. "Aw, hell... don't cry, Kagome."

Taking a moment to compose herself and choose her words, she swallowed once before speaking. "Inuyasha, you said it yourself - you're stronger when I'm around. You need me there."

He sighed once, running a hand through his hair. "I know, Kagome. And it's true - I am stronger when-"

"A-and," she interrupted, wrapping her arms around herself and walking the length of the well-house, "and Miroku and Sango are gone," she added pointedly. Kagome tightened her jaw, forcing the tears back. "You're going to face Sesshoumaru by yourself?"

There was a beat of silence before he answered. "Yeah."

Any sadness that might have been reflected in Kagome's eyes vanished in a flare of anger as she crossed the distance between them. She blinked and the tears had spilled over, more an act of gravity than anything else. Bringing up a fist, she pounded hard once against his chest. "You idiot!" Her eyes flashed angrily. "Sesshoumaru's not looking for some stupid sword this time! He's going to be looking for his mate. Didn't you hear her? He looked for her for six months and found her - in the middle of the ocean! What do you think he's going to do when he finds out that you know where she is and won't tell him, huh? You're going to get yourself killed!"

In a blur of motion, Inuyasha had grabbed Kagome's wrist, pulling her against him, wrapping his arms tightly around her. He held her like that for almost an entire minute. When his voice came, when he finally found that he could speak, her hair muffled his words. "No, I'm not."

Kagome wanted to push away from him - she wanted to yell and carry on about the idiocy of his plan, but the sensation of warm arms holding her securely against him was too much to rail against. She wanted to be angry with him, but her anger was doused somewhat when she heard his voice, resonating with ferocious confidence. Closing her eyes, Kagome sniffled, trying very hard not to cry. The effort was somewhat futile, since her tears had already started to fall. She instead settled for resting her head against Inuyasha's shoulder. The fire-rat's fur felt warm and soft against her chin, and the sensation caused a new flood of tears to rush to the surface.

Inuyasha swallowed hard, thinking it might have been less painful to let Sesshoumaru tear his heart out with his bare hands. Pulling Kagome even closer, he brought one hand up, slowly smoothing his claws through the soft, dark hair. "Shh," he breathed. "Don't, Kagome. Please, don't." Closing his eyes, he breathed in the scent of her hair, marveling at the peace it brought him. But there, lurking in the back of his mind was knowledge - the source of which was completely unknown - that a youkai male would not take the disappearance of his mate well. Whether or not Sesshoumaru wanted her was beside the point - she was his mate. He would come for Teles, and he would not rest until he'd found her. Inuyasha could feel it almost as certainly as he could feel an approaching rainstorm. He had no doubts he could handle his brother, but he had a sneaking suspicion it was going to be a little more challenging than usual. "Keh. You really think that overdressed wuss could kill me? Don't make me laugh."

Kagome's response was a short, watery laugh. "I don't want you to get hurt. That's all."

He exhaled a long sigh. "I'm not gonna get hurt, Kagome. But you might."

She pulled away, out of his arms, wiping at her eyes with the cuff of her sweater. "I'm not going to get hurt. I can help, Inuyasha. And... you're going to be doing this by yourself. I don't want you doing it by yourself. Not when you don't have to. I can--"

"Kagome," he interrupted fiercely, shaking his head, "he'd use you... to get to me. He knows you're my mate." He knew it before I did, damn it all. He knows I'd do anything to keep you safe, even if it meant betraying Teles - and the pup. "He knows I protect you."

Kagome shook her head, all the while knowing in her heart that he was right. And then, in a small, hopeful voice, she suggested, "Maybe... maybe he won't come looking for her."

"I'd come lookin' for you," he said quietly.

"But... but, Inuyasha, you've never... you wouldn't ever say things like that - do things like that to me."

His mouth twisted into a small, mirthless smile. "That's 'cause I know you wouldn't fuckin' listen."

Kagome uttered a short laugh, wiping against at her eyes. The tears had finally slowed. After a moment, she breathed a thoughtful sigh. "It's just... that's not how you treat someone you love. He was so... afraid after she'd been turned - I hadn't ever seen him like that. I almost can't believe he'd... go back."

"I shoulda known he would," he muttered darkly. "I wish I could say I was surprised, Kagome, but I ain't." Betrayed, yeah, but not surprised.

"There's no way you could have known, Inuyasha."

"The son-of-a-bitch is my brother," he said flatly. "If anyone shoulda known, it's me. I know what kind of asshole he is." Golden eyes went to the well-house door, and he blew out a breath, shaking his head. It was unlike Sesshoumaru to actively try and deceive anyone, and yet all of that talk - 'She is my mate - I would not abandon her. Do you think I have no honor?' - was nothing more than just talk.

A light touch landed on his cheek and he glanced down. Kagome's eyes, though red and swollen, were dry. She stroked his cheek for a moment with her thumb. "He had us all fooled - even his own mate. You can't blame yourself."

Nodding once, Inuyasha closed his eyes and rested his forehead against Kagome's. He stayed like that for several long moments, not saying anything. He let her scent surround him and committed it to memory. Similarly, he found himself cataloging the feel of her hair, the warmth of her body and the way it fit against his, and the sound of her heartbeat. "I promise," he managed thickly, "I'll come back for you... when it's safe."

Inuyasha could see it in her eyes - he knew what was coming. Disbelief would come first. "You... want me to wait here? Until you... come for me?"

He nodded once. "Yeah."

Her breathing sped up a bit, and she blinked at him; Inuyasha could see it brewing in the depths of her eyes: outrage. "When you said you didn't want me coming through, I figured you meant for a day or two. You want me to wait here? While you sit over there and wait for Sesshoumaru to try and tear the village apart, looking for Teles. Wait here," she repeated emphatically. "While Miroku and Sango are away from the village, and the only allies you're going to have will be Kaede and Shippou. Are you completely insane?"

He looked away, scowling. "I'm beginning to think so, now that you put it that way."

Glowering, Kagome folded her arms and looked down. She ground her teeth together, and Inuyasha could tell she hated this with every ounce of herself - she didn't want to agree to it. Even Inuyasha wished there was some other way, but he had no idea how long it would take to get it through Sesshoumaru's head that his mate wasn't going to return to him, and no amount of threats or sword waving was going to change that.

"I'll come for you as soon as it's safe, Kagome. I swear," said, his voice full of soft urgency. He waited for her to meet his eyes and when she did, he could see the unhappy resignation there. She would wait here - she wasn't happy about it, but she would wait.

After several very long beats of silence, Kagome blew out a breath. "Promise me you'll be safe," she said softly. "Please."

"Promise." As he said this, he reached up letting his fingers linger in her hair, feeling the strands part and slide against his claws. Closing her eyes, Kagome turned her head against his hand, like a cat. Almost instinctively, he pulled her closer. "I'd better go," he said, his voice heavy with reluctance. Kagome closed her eyes and nodded, but she made no move to pull out of the embrace. His eyes went momentarily to her lips, but as he bent his head to bring his lips to her cheek, Kagome turned suddenly and caught his mouth with hers. Closing his eyes, Inuyasha kissed her gently, trying not to let his own sense of worry and desperation seep into the kiss. This would not be the last time he kissed her. This would not be the last time he held her like this.

Kagome's arms tightened around Inuyasha's neck as she let her lips part a bit against his mouth. Everything in her railed against his request that she wait for him. She didn't belong here. She belonged there, helping him, fighting with him, and simply... being there for him. When she felt his mouth grow pliant, his lips parting against hers, Kagome gave a soft sigh, but relaxed as the kiss deepened slowly. Don't you dare leave me and not come back, she thought, willing the tears not to surface again. I'll sit you into the Space Age, I swear it.

Pulling away, Inuyasha broke the kiss abruptly, his breathing somewhat ragged - and noticing that Kagome's breathing also sounded labored and uneven. The two stared silently at each other, their color high. After a long moment, Inuyasha swallowed and nodded once. "Okay," he said quietly, turning and walking over to the well, hopping onto the edge. Closing his eyes, Inuyasha let his head drop forward, his chin resting against his chest. Just jump in. It ain't like you never done it a million times before.

But this time would be different; this time he'd be jumping through alone, and Kagome wouldn't be following.

Several seconds passed in this manner before Inuyasha looked over at Kagome, holding her gaze for what felt like an eternity. He inhaled, holding his breath. It was just a jump - a step, really.

"...Kagome?" he managed, his voice thick and hoarse.

"Y-yes, Inuyasha?" Similarly, Kagome's voice was a shadow of its usual timbre.

Tearing his eyes away from her face before he lost all of his resolve, he closed his eyes tightly. "...I love you." And then he jumped.

***


Right around the time Inuyasha, Kagome, and Teles leapt into the well, Sesshoumaru, jerked awake. Blinking once, then twice, he looked around at the cavern, temporarily forgetting where he was - he had been sleeping that soundly. After a moment or two, the night's dreams slowly filtered back to him and he sat up, running a hand over his face.

'Perhaps, youkai, you should give consideration before you reprimand others for their riddles.'

The youkai lord suddenly found himself in the unenviable position of being one who has just realized the extent of his idiocy. His behavior had been, in a word, inexcusable. Teles was his mate, and he had treated her like... like...

"Enough of this," he growled through his teeth, effectively cutting off the trail of thought that was quickly forming. In one smooth, graceful motion, he got to his feet and was striding quickly out of the cavern.

"It is time for this foolishness to come to an end." It was time for Sesshoumaru to confront his mate.

Though distance to the den from the grotto was a short one, particularly for the youkai lord, it was time well spent for Sesshoumaru. He spent much of the return trip organizing his thoughts; strategy was of utmost importance in delicate situations such as these. By the time the den was in sight, he had decided that the best approach would be brutal, unadorned honesty. That in itself was not a problem for the youkai lord, who frequently preferred a direct approach above all others. The problem was admitting to his mate that he had embraced such artifice - and for such an extended period of time.

Or, at least, that was part of the problem. Another, larger part of the problem was facing his mate after treating her so reprehensibly for so long - well over a month.

His steady, gliding steps brought him nearer to the den's entrance, and before long a small, mirthless smile appeared at his lips. Dare I hope this knowledge angers her?

Sesshoumaru had barely set one foot over the threshold when Jaken appeared from the shadowy depths of the entrance, hurtling towards the youkai lord as fast as his short legs could carry him. Sesshoumaru paused, his brows twitching together in bemusement as the toad youkai threw himself at his feet.

"I'm sorry, my lord! My most humble apologies! I am not fit to serve one as mighty and powerful as yourself. But, please, I beg of you - don't hurt me!" When the inuyoukai said nothing, Jaken peered up at him hesitantly before plunging on. "Y-you told me I was to get your mate anything she desired. I was only following your orders, my lord. In all the names of all the gods, please have mercy on me!"

A tiny flicker of worry ignited in Sesshoumaru's chest. He swallowed, tensing. "...What happened to Teles?" he asked, his voice and demeanor both the epitome of restraint and composure. Jaken was merely overreacting - he was sure of it.

The toad youkai gulped. "I am... not entirely sure, my lord," he managed weakly.

These words fanned what had initially been a flicker of worry into a flame. "Where is my mate, Jaken?" he asked quietly, a current of urgency underlying the silken tone.

The toad had excellent reason to lower himself into his robes; he knew this tone well. "I... I don't know?" he managed, the words coming out a question. There was, of course, a correct answer that would prevent any bodily harm from coming to him. Unfortunately, Jaken did not have that answer, and the perfect silence that followed urged the toad on to further explain the situation in a hastily rambling manner. "She requested rabbit for dinner, my lord. And, since you were adamant that she eat, I took this as a good sign, even though it meant having to hunt for her meal myself..."

As Jaken spoke, Sesshoumaru lifted his head, scenting the air, only lending one ear to his vassal's ramblings.

"And I caught the rabbit, my lord, a plump doe. I caught it and skinned it, but when I returned to the den, T-Teles-sama had left..."

Sesshoumaru only nodded distractedly, stepping over Jaken's prostrate form and walking swiftly towards their shared bedchamber.

The smaller youkai hurried after him, still attempting to explain the situation, which was making itself clearer with every passing second. "Had I any idea that it was nothing more than a ruse, my lord, I would have stayed, I assure you."

The youkai lord slid the rice paper door open sharply, nearly sending it off of its runners. At this display, Jaken swallowed the rest of his explanation and took a step away from the inuyoukai.

Sesshoumaru stared in disbelief at the empty room, which was in much the same state as when he'd left. The trunk was still wide open, and the swaths of silk and linen spewing out of its jaws seemed to mock him with their vibrancy. On the floor, not far from the futon - still mussed from their last encounter - lay a bamboo vase atop a soaked tatami mat. A pale orchid, petals bruised, lay halfway out of the vase. It was, Sesshoumaru was absolutely sure, not where he had left it.

Thrown. Not an act of submission, not an act of despair, but anger, defiance - the very emotions he'd been trying to arouse. The sight would have filled him with hope and relief had she been there. But she wasn't. Instead, it left him feeling uneasy.

He cast about suddenly, his breath coming somewhat faster and more ragged - but the room was, without a doubt, vacant. Sesshoumaru turned on his heel and bolted back towards the den's entrance, hardly aware of the toad youkai behind him, struggling to keep up.

"I left as the sun had started to grow lower in the sky," he said quickly, "and came back just after twilight, my lord." Jaken paused, his fear growing exponentially as Sesshoumaru stopped again at the entrance and narrowed his eyes, gazing out at the surrounding woodland, his eyes assessing the terrain.

For his part, the youkai knew nothing beyond the erratic thrumming in his chest and the nausea that was clawing its way up his throat. Gone. She was gone. The sky had already begun to lighten, and if she had already left by the time Jaken had returned, then she had been out for hours already - she had been out in the wind, in the cold, overnight.

Her scent was stale, and with every moment the breeze rustled through the barren trees, her scent would continue to degrade.

She had been out, in this - alone.

His jaw tightened. "I will find her," he said softly.

"Y-yes, Sesshoumaru-sama," Jaken replied, nodding. "B-but, what do you wish me to tell-"

"Tell Rin whatever will prevent her from worrying," he answered sharply. Without another word, the youkai lord had turned and was striding purposefully towards the edge of woodland. In one fluid movement, he leapt upwards, above the trees, scanning the area below for any sign of his mate. As his keen eyes surveyed the lands, he found only two things that offered any sort of reassurance. First, for as many times as he found - and lost - Teles' trail, he could discern nothing of blood in the scent.

And, second - Tenseiga remained silent.

***


Inuyasha was gone.

Kagome stood perfectly still, staring at the spot where only a fraction of a second before, the hanyou had stood. She blinked once, staring, until it sunk in. Darting to the well, she leaned over, staring down into its shadowed depth; it was empty. She swallowed hard shaking her head a bit in disbelief. Did he actually say that? I didn't think he'd... I never thought he'd say it... Suddenly her eyebrows lowered and she stepped back before placing a hard kick against the well. "Why didn't you let me say it back, you big idiot?!"

Outside in the courtyard, a fair distance from the well-house, Teles stood, her hands linked behind her back as she gazed up into the bare branches of a particularly large tree. The silence that had settled over the courtyard - or, comparable silence, rather, since there were a great many unfamiliar noises coming from beyond the boundaries of the shrine - was suddenly broken by the sound of Kagome yelling. Closing her eyes and expelling a breath, Teles slowly walked to the stone stairs that led away from the shrine, staring at the small sliver of the world available to her.

It was, from what she could tell, extraordinary.

She looked around, shaking her head. It was almost impossible to imagine that this was the same spot she'd been in before. There were no trees - almost none, anyway. The serene quiet of the clearing was replaced with foreign rumblings, sounds that the former goddess could not begin to categorize or attempt to describe. There were sounds that, to the former goddess' ears, sounded almost like a hydra's cry. The noise set her nerves on edge, but did not extinguish her curiosity. Whatever those things were, she was sure she'd learn about them eventually. She certainly had time.

Staring up at the pink, early-morning sky, Teles closed her eyes as she let the warmth of the sun beat down against her face. It was still cold, and the wind was no less brisk than it had been, but she felt a tight knot of tension begin to loosen in her. Finally - the one place her mate could not follow. Blowing out a breath, she turned away from the stairs and began wandering slowly around the courtyard. It is done. I'm here, and... he has no idea. But with that thought, with every step she took, an empty ache in her chest blossomed and grew worse. That she would never see Sesshoumaru again did not please her as much as she thought it would. Gritting her teeth against the foolishness of this sentiment, she opened her eyes, glaring at the bright blue sky. No, she thought firmly. I do not regret my decision. This is what is best for my child. I am glad never to see him again.The sound of the well-house door sliding open pulled Teles out of her reverie and she watched as Kagome stepped into the brisk air, adjusting the pack she carried. She walked over to Teles, a smile in place on her features that was at war with her reddened, puffy eyes.

"Sorry about the wait," she said.

"I apologize for this, Kagome," Teles said softly. "That... that could not have been easy."

"Well... no," she replied, looking down quickly. "But... we're here. Let me show you around."

Kagome led Teles across the courtyard to a large structure that Teles could only assume was her home. Opening the door, she ushered Teles inside before stepping in herself and slipping out of her shoes. Teles did the same, following Kagome further into the house, inhaling deeply as an incredibly appetizing smell wrapped around them both.

"Mama?" the girl called out. "I'm home!" Kagome sniffed the air experimentally and closed her eyes. "And just in time for breakfast," she added, turning and shooting a grin in Teles' direction. Just then her eyebrows lifted in realization. "Oh my god, you must be starving - when's the last time you ate?"

Teles was quiet for a moment; she almost couldn't remember how long it had been since she'd eaten. She had a small breakfast the previous morning, only to lose her appetite after her final... altercation with Sesshoumaru. "Yesterday morning," she replied quietly.

Setting her pack down on the floor, Kagome slipped her arm into Teles', linking them. "Good thing for us, Mama always makes more than she needs to. Sometimes I come back sooner or later than they expect me, so she always makes a little extra, just in case." Sliding a door open, she revealed a sunlit room, and an older woman standing at one end, a bowl in her arms, mixing something intently.

At the sound of the door sliding open, the woman turned and her face was instantly lit with a smile. "Kagome, you're back!" She set the bowl aside and crossed the room, enveloping Kagome in a hug, which the girl returned. After a moment or two, the elder Higurashi looked over her daughter's shoulder and regarded Teles with a warm smile. "And you must be Teles."

Teles blinked once, her eyes darting to Kagome, worry evident in the green depths.

"Yeah, that's... huh?" Kagome had been lost in her mother's hug, eyes closed, head leaning intently against her shoulder. But with those words she jerked her head up and pulled away, looking at her mother with wide, astonished eyes. "Mama, how do you know Teles?"

"Well," her mother began, taking a lock of Kagome's hair between her fingers and toying with it. "About a week ago, a letter arrived, explaining that you'd be returning shortly - and that you wouldn't be alone," she said, nodding in Teles' direction. "I was... well, I was a little skeptical at first, but..."

Kagome's breath stilled in her lungs. "A letter? A letter from who?"

"I'll go get it. You two sit down and have something to eat." She offered a gentle smile to Teles. "I'm not sure what you're used to, so there's a little bit of everything. I remember what it's like to be that far along - you must be starving."

"Th-thank you," Teles replied numbly. After exchanging a look, she and Kagome slowly lowered themselves until they were kneeling at the kitchen table. They watched Mrs. Higurashi bustle out of the room, returning shortly with a cream colored sheet of paper. She handed it to Kagome, who unfolded the letter carefully, reading it. Her eyes scanned the characters silently, but her eyes had widened perceptibly.

"Can I assume you know this person, Kagome?" her mother asked.

Swallowing hard, Kagome nodded. "Yeah."

Teles' eyes were on the young miko's face, assured not at all with the expression she saw there. "Kagome?"

Lowering the letter, Kagome regarded Teles for a long moment. "Can you read Japanese?" At Teles' nod, Kagome refolded the letter before handing it over. "It's... from Sesshoumaru."

Teles could not keep the color from draining from her face. She sat perfectly still, eyes huge. "Did you say..." she managed hoarsely before giving a brisk shake of her head. "No. No, you couldn't have. Because... he's not here. That's why we came. Because... because he... couldn't get here." Her words came quickly and her heart began pounding erratically against her ribs, and the pup, sensing this, shifted slightly - its mother only barely able to suppress the wince.

Swearing silently when she saw the shadow of pain flicker across Teles' face, Kagome added as gently as possible, "Obviously, I kinda forgot about the long life part."

"Oh," Teles managed weakly. Trying to steady her breathing, she reached up and began rubbing at her forehead. He wasn't supposed to have been able to find her here. There weren't supposed to be youkai in this age. And yet, it seemed as if he certainly had found her.

'...I am, after all, long-lived, but not immortal.'

Closing her eyes, Teles swallowed against the dryness in her mouth and throat. "What... does he want?"

"It's in the letter," Kagome supplied quietly.

Teles looked down tentatively, eyes drifting across the neatly written kanji, bracing herself for whatever the paper could have held.

Mrs. Higurashi:

You do not know me, but you are acquainted with my younger brother, Inuyasha. In a few days, your daughter will be coming through the well with my wife Teles, who is pregnant with my unborn child. I am sending a few basic amenities for their care, but am not sure if she will accept them, for we are estranged. I dislike imposing on your hospitality, but I beg you to please provide shelter for them until other arrangements can be made. I will, of course, compensate you accordingly; although, if you do this, nothing will be able to fully repay the debt I will owe you.

Sesshoumaru

"A few days ago," Mrs. Higurashi explained, "a suitcase was delivered -- along with a second letter. For Teles." Here she gave Teles another small, warm smile.

"For me?" When Kagome's mother nodded, she looked down at the letter again. ...a few basic amenities... These were not the words she would have expected from her mate after she had departed in such a manner. Indeed, aside from the formal tone of the words, it sounded nothing like the Sesshoumaru she'd grown used to.

Mrs. Higurashi looked at her daughter for a moment, noting the concerned frown at her forehead and the way her lips were pressed together. Teles similarly looked mystified and concerned as her eyes scanned the communication. What had at first seemed only strange grew increasingly stranger as she watched the two girls - certainly Teles was well past old enough to be a mother in that time, but in the older woman's eyes she looked no older than an a college student. She was also faintly perplexed at the fact that the girl very clearly was not Japanese despite her language and dress. But, since it certainly wasn't the strangest thing she'd seen since Kagome began her regular trips to the past, Mrs. Higurashi only made a mental note to ask Kagome about it when she got the chance.

After a few moments, Teles refolded the letter and handed it back to Mrs. Higurashi with a soft word of thanks. The older woman regarded the girl for several long moments - she was pale and drawn, and circles had begun to darken under her eyes. Emitting a small, empathetic sigh, she lowered herself to meet Teles' eyes. Giving her a sympathetic smile, she said, "You look exhausted, Teles. After you've both eaten, Kagome will show you upstairs - I've made up the guest bed for you. Maybe a little rest will help."

Teles swallowed hard as she held the maternal gaze. "Thank you." Swallowing once, she glanced again at the folded letter in the woman's hands. "You've no idea what your hospitality-" But Kagome's mother brushed off Teles' words with a wave of her hand.

"Not at all," she said firmly. "I don't believe Kagome would have brought you here without a very good reason. Now, why don't you two get a little something to eat, and try and get some rest?" She eyed Teles' swollen abdomen with a sympathetic gleam in her eye. "I know for a fact that sleep doesn't come easily when you're that far along." She smiled a bit. "When I was pregnant with Kagome, I was up nearly every night."

"Mama!" Kagome cried, blushing deeply.

Teles returned the woman's smile. "Yes," she replied, "it's been... enlightening, I must say."

"I imagine it would be," the older woman said, getting to her feet once more and returning to the bowl she had set aside earlier. "Help yourselves - there's no telling how long it's going to last." She glanced at Kagome. "Souta spent the night at a friend's house, but jii-chan should be down before too much longer."

A relaxed smile curving her lips, Kagome began perusing the food spread across the table - rice, miso soup, natto, toast, jam, juice, and both fried and boiled eggs along with a small pot of green tea as well as oolong. She served a dish for herself, encouraging Teles to do the same. They ate quietly, neither the miko nor the former goddess realizing how very hungry either of them had been.

It wasn't until they had nearly finished their meal did the door slide open again, revealing a short, stout, elderly man. He stepped into the room, his eyes going directly to Kagome. "Ah, Kagome! Your mother said you might be back today. And," he added, his gaze turning to Teles, "she said you'd be bringing a friend back with you." Narrowing his eyes at her, he arched an eyebrow. "You certainly don't look like a demon, girl." Before Teles could reply, the old man lifted his hand and slapped a sutra against the former goddess' forehead. A beat of perfect silence followed.

"Grandpa!" Kagome squeaked, eyes wide.

"Better safe than sorry, I always say," the elder Higurashi muttered as he settled down at the table.

Teles blinked, gingerly pulling the sutra away from her skin. Kagome watched, mortified, flushing to the roots of her hair as Mrs. Higurashi hurried forward. "Now jii-chan," she said, her voice taking on a gently chastising tone, "you know very well that Kagome's friend isn't a demon."

"Ah, yes. I seem to recall you did say something along those lines. But one never can be too careful, you know."

It was at this point that Kagome decided to intervene, making polite - if slightly hurried - introductions. No, Grandpa, she's not a demon - she's just married to one. Embarrassment made her a bit frantic, and she nearly collapsed with relief when her mother placed a warm hand on her shoulder.

"Kagome, dear, why don't you show Teles to the guest room? You both look like you could use a nap."

A grateful smile nearly split the girl's face. "Thank you, Mama." With that, she gently helped Teles to her feet before hurrying them both from the room. When they were finally out of earshot and on their way up to the bedrooms, Kagome lowered her voice to a whisper. "Oh, gods, Teles, I'm so sorry. I had no idea."

Walking alongside Kagome, Teles lifted her shoulders in a small shrug. "What are family for if not the occasional awkward moment?"

Kagome's brows twitched together. "That's a good point, actually, but I was talking about Sesshoumaru."

"Ah," the former goddess replied, exhaling in a long sigh. "I didn't think..." she shook her head. "I didn't think he'd be here."

"I didn't either," Kagome said, shaking her head. "Honestly, Teles, if I'd known..."

A small frown marred the pregnant woman's forehead. "But he...wrote to your mother."

"Yeah," Kagome replied with a sigh. "Granted, it doesn't really follow his standard tactics, but still..." trailing off, she pushed a door open, leading Teles into a small, homey room. Sunlight streamed in, illuminating the room, at the center of which was an elevated divan, covered with a thick coverlet and a mass of cushions, which Teles assumed was a bed. Settled on top of it was a strange, rectangular box with what looked to be a handle at one end. And on top of that was a smaller, cream-colored rectangle.

"That is, I'm assuming, a... what she said? A suitcase?" At Kagome's nod, Teles crossed the room, picking up the smaller rectangle. "And what is this?" It was made of paper - much like the paper Sesshoumaru's letter had been. As she handled it, she felt her mouth and throat grow dry.

"It's an envelope," Kagome supplied gently. The letter is inside of it."

Teles looked at the envelope, her brows drawing together quizzically. "How do I...?"

Kagome noted the puzzlement on the other woman's face and remembered that paper was significantly harder to come by in the Sengoku Jidai, and probably ancient Greece as well. "Here," she said, carefully taking the envelope between her fingers, "let me show you. All you do is tear it." With these words, Kagome tore the end off of the envelope, shook the letter out, and handed it to Teles.

Nodding, Teles gingerly unfolded the sheet and held it in her hands, staring down sightlessly. Her eyes took in the characters, but her brain refused to process them. Shaking her head slowly, the paper fell from nerveless fingers before fluttering soundlessly to the floor.

Kagome's eyes widened in sudden concern, something lurching inside of her at the sight of the woman's ashen face and slowly filling eyes. "Teles? Teles, what is it? What happened?" When the former goddess only shook her head, Kagome stooped down and retrieved the sheet of stationary, looking at it for a moment. What she saw puzzled her. She looked up at Teles, her brows twitching together. "Teles?" The characters written on the sheet were almost completely unfamiliar to Kagome's eyes.

"It's Greek," she managed hoarsely. "It is... he learned Greek."

Kagome looked again at the letter, shaking her head slowly. She was marginally familiar with some of the characters and it struck with all the force of a lightning bolt when she realized why - math class. No, he didn't just learn Greek - he learned Ancient Greek. "What... what does it say?" she asked hesitantly.

Quickly wiping the moisture from her eyes, Teles took the sheet again, her eyes scanning the achingly familiar characters. After a moment, she read the letter out loud, her throat closing occasionally.

Teles, beloved,

Although I am certain you feel that I have forfeited any right to address you as such, indulge me, since I have not spoken the words since before you left. While I am certain that the excellent hospitality of Kagome and her family leaves little to be desired, I consider myself responsible for your needs. Therefore, please accept what I have provided for you without thinking they carry an obligation on your part.

I have one small request, which you may consider at your leisure and answer when you are ready. I would like to see you. I am aware that you may not wish to see me. Nevertheless....

But I will let you decide. When you have decided, Kagome will help you call me at the following number. If you wish to see me, I will send a car and driver to bring you where I am. If you do not wish to see me, please let her tell me that as well, and I will remove myself from your life. However, please understand that I still feel an obligation towards both yourself and the pup. You would not be here if it were not for my foolishness.

I hope to hear from you in the fullness of time. Take care, Teles, both of yourself and our child.

Sesshoumaru

When she had finished Kagome sat down heavily on the bed, staring up at her with wide eyes. Teles swallowed hard, refolding the letter before settling down on the side of the bed as well. She looked down at the folded sheet, an unfamiliar sinking feeling settling in her gut.

Kagome swallowed hard, shaking her head slowly. "That..."

"He..." Teles began, but she found she could not form the necessary words; her throat ached with them.

"He what?" Kagome prompted gently.

"I don't understand," she managed, her voice sounding distant even to her own ears. "He... sounds.... so different."

Kagome looked at the former goddess for a long time before answering. "It's... five hundred years, Teles. That's how far the well brings you forward."

"Five centuries," she breathed in shock. "Th-that's how he knew."

"That you'd be here?" Kagome nodded. "Probably."

"He's... it sounds as if.... he's been... waiting." With a shaking hand, she set the sheet of paper on a small table beside the bed - even though what she wanted to do was read it over and over again, letting her fingers trace the words, imagining him as he wrote them. Turning away from the letter, Teles focused her attention on the suitcase, she murmured, "And... I suppose this is what he meant by being responsible for my 'needs.'" After a moment, a frown of concentration tugged at her brow as she ran her fingers along the top and sides, trying to discern how to open it.

"This way," Kagome said, reaching around and pulling at the zipper that ran along the suitcase's perimeter. "Like that."

"Ah," Teles said, her voice still sounding somewhat detached. "Yes, that... makes sense." Dazedly, she pushed the top of the suitcase back, revealing neatly folded stacks of clothes. Tucked in compartments along the sides were a variety of bottles as well as combs and brushes.

Kagome looked over into the suitcase, her eyebrows lifting in impressed amazement. "Wow."

Teles looked up at her. "I beg your pardon?"

Gesturing at the suitcase, Kagome made an impressed face. "Nice clothes." Certainly they were - Kagome could see most of the labels plainly. She trailed her fingers across a light blue sweater, which was - the girl was positive - genuine cashmere. "Very nice clothes."

Pulling out a soft gray sweater and admiring it, Teles nodded. "It's all very... soft." She looked down, her eyes raking over the colors - a variety of soothing shades. "And... pretty." Looking down ruefully at her ruined kimono, she shook her head. "Definitely a change from the last time he presented me with clothes."

"Ah." Kagome colored a bit. "Yeah, I... well, that makes sense."

"But," Teles began, looking back at the clothes in the suitcase, "these are... well, frankly they seem... rather odd. They are... the colors are extraordinary, of course. And the fabric is... softer than I could imagine."

Kagome sent the former goddess a grin. "Don't worry - I'll show you how they go a little later. I know I seriously need a bath, and I'm going to assume the same goes for you, so, why don't I get you set up in the bathroom first, and then I'll get cleaned up, too." She leaned over and made a move as if to start looking through the neat stacks, stopping suddenly and looking up at Teles. "You don't mind, do you?"

Teles shook her head. "No, please - go ahead."

After a short search, Kagome found and withdrew a set of sage green pajamas, setting them down on the bed. "These look comfortable enough." She then started examining the bottles, twisting off the caps and sniffing the contents. "Soaps," she explained when she saw that Teles was regarding her with a bemused look. "It's a bathing thing. And... they come in different scents." She handed Teles one open bottle, which she sniffed. "Mint," the young priestess supplied, taking the bottle back after a moment. "This one's lavender," she said, handing Teles another bottle, which again she sniffed and handed back to Kagome. "And this last one - smells like sandalwood." Again, Teles took the bottle. "So, which do you like?"

"All of them," she murmured, a small smile at her lips. "But...I think I prefer the second one, actually."

"Good choice," Kagome said, setting the bottle aside. She gathered a selection of toiletries up and handed them to Teles. "Just follow me, okay?" Soon she was leading Teles to the bathroom and showing her how to run the shower. Kagome also took several moments to explain what a loofah was for, how shampoo worked, and that it was advisable to use conditioner after the shampoo. After a moment, she looked up at the former goddess, smiling reassuringly. "This is all going to work out, all right? That's what Aphr... your mother said she was trying to do, right? Make things work out for the best."

"That is what she said," she replied quietly. "I just... this is..." closing her eyes, Teles gathered her thoughts. "This was not what I had anticipated. And... I think it's rather remarkable that in a world such as this, with as many amazing things in it as there are... I am left speechless and stunned by a letter."

Kagome's smile turned a little rueful and she gave a slight shrug of her shoulders. "Funny how it's the little things."

"Indeed," Teles replied, looking down at the items she held in her arms. After a moment, she blew out a breath, shaking her head. "He wants to see me, Kagome. I... I don't know if I can..."

Kagome's expression turned thoughtful for a moment. "No one's forcing you to make a decision now, Teles. Think about it - take your time." Kagome tried very hard not to think about what Inuyasha's reaction would have been to the communication. Instead she concentrated on the tone of the words the youkai lord had written. Five hundred years was a long time, after all - even in the life of a youkai. Maybe he gained a little perspective...

Nodding a bit, a grateful smile lit her lips. "Thank you, little priestess."

She returned the smile with a grin of her own. "You're very welcome. You've got everything you need - soap, towels... If you have any problems, just yell, all right?"

"Go," Teles replied, ushering Kagome out of the small room. "I'll be fine."

Once the bathroom door closed behind her and the sound of rushing water could be heard from within, Kagome leaned against the door, exhaling a sigh and closing her eyes. Brushing her fingertips across her lips, she could almost feel the warmth of Inuyasha's mouth against her own. Yeah, she thought, blinking against the tears that threatened to form again. It's the little things.