InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Of Gods and Monsters ❯ Chapter 53: Patience, Preparation, and ...Problems? ( Chapter 55 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Chapter 53: Patience, Preparation, and ...Problems?
 
A/N: I'm not writing chapters as quickly as I'd like, but this is more due to devoting most of my time to an original piece of fiction. It takes up a LOT of time. Let me assure everyone that, yes, OGAM will be finished. I've come too far NOT to finish this beast, and, believe me, we're getting to the end. So, reviews are encouraged and always appreciated, but nasty emails wherein people demand I write faster -- not so much.
 
There, with that out of the way, I'd like to thank my beta readers: Ithilwen, Kat, and Rhoda. Extra special ginger-chibis go to Ithilwen for her helpful brainstorminess for Chapter 54. Heh heh heh... --Oh, and there's another A/N at the end of the chapter for anyone who has the question I'm anticipating. ;)
 
Enjoy!
 
***
 
It is the same! --For, be it joy or sorrow,
The path of its departure still is free:
Man's yesterday may ne'er be like his morrow;
Nought my endure but Mutability
 
~Percy Bysshe Shelley, "Mutability"
 
 
Teles was amazed.
 
Three days. She'd only been home three days. In that time, Sesshoumaru's color had improved, and his strength had completely returned. In fact, his physical improvement had taken less than half that time. There had been moments when he still looked at her as if he believed in his heart that she couldn't really have returned, but those moments were occurring less and less.
 
And now their positions were completely reversed. Now it was she who was resting, and he who was standing sentry over her. The child inside of her was growing restless, and Sesshoumaru was spending more and more time calming it, which eased Teles' discomfort, but only increased his frustration. She could see it in the tensed line of his jaw, and in the shadows that passed over his face when he thought she wasn't looking. She spent most of her time in bed; her stomach was too unwieldy for her to do much else other than wait. As it turned out, Sesshoumaru was rather bad at waiting. If Teles were going to be completely honest with herself, she wasn't very good at it either. With each day that passed, she found herself growing more and more impatient. She'd been in this state for so long that now, when the end seemed within sight, it could not come fast enough.
 
She was, however, better at hiding her impatience than her husband was.
 
"What's troubling you, beloved?" she asked one evening as the last of his low, soothing growls vibrated through her womb, settling the energetic hanyou inside of her. He lay resting carefully against her, one arm curled around her stomach. She could not see his face, but she could sense his unease.
 
It was a moment before the youkai replied. "We have not prepared," he murmured, stroking her rounded belly with one clawed hand. "The time is very nearly here, I'm certain of it. And yet... I'm no closer to understanding what needs to be done. Neither of us is... particularly well-versed in the ways of humans, and yet you will be giving birth as a human." He was silent for a moment. "Father's scrolls speak very little of the details surrounding Inuyasha's birth. He does mention that Naoko had been permitted to bring some servants with her; I can only presume they assisted her in the process."
 
"I see," Teles replied quietly. She brought her hand up, combing her fingers through Sesshoumaru's hair, sighing softly. "Well, it isn't as if we don't know of any humans to ask."
 
"I had considered that." Sesshoumaru shifted slightly and lifted his head to regard her. "But that would require leaving you here alone. I do not think it wise for you to be traveling very far in your condition. Nor do I wish to leave you for any extended period."
 
"Ah. Yes, that does present a problem." Indeed, the predicament had occurred to her as well.
 
He was quiet for a moment. "I could send Jaken ahead..."
 
Teles pursed her lips. "Jaken seems to have difficulty... interacting with your brother and his friends."
 
Sesshoumaru sighed, closing his eyes. "This is true. I imagine I could leave and return in less than a full day, but even so..."
 
"Even so," she said, "the child could decide that your absence presents a perfect opportunity for his arrival."
 
He blew out a deep breath and nodded. "Exactly."
 
And then a familiar voice rang through the room, causing both Teles and Sesshoumaru to start suddenly, a reflexive growl rumbling in the youkai's throat. "Honestly, you two are quite hopeless when left to yourselves. I really had thought you both more resourceful than this." Aphrodite was standing by the shoji, arms folded across her chest, watching them both with an expression that was equal parts maternal exasperation and amusement.
 
"Mother," Teles said, sternly, "is it really so difficult for you to announce yourself in a way that's somehow less..."
 
"Intrusive?" Sesshoumaru supplied dryly.
 
Aphrodite waved her hand in a dismissive gesture. "What else was I supposed to do? Knock?"

Sesshoumaru arched an eyebrow at her. "It would be an adequate start."
 
"Yes, and paper doors stand up so well to that kind of assault," she riposted. "Now, shall I tell you why I've come, or shall I storm out in histrionics and leave you to wonder?"
 
"You could--"

"Children," Teles said sharply. "Please." She gave her mother a placating smile. "Despite the fact that I am starting to suspect you of spying on us, please, by all means, tell us what's on your mind."
 
"Hmmph. Spying. I like that." The goddess inclined her head slightly. "I'm watching over you both, and you call it spying."
 
Sesshoumaru closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He seemed on the verge of saying something else -- something mollifying -- when he stopped suddenly and looked at Aphrodite. "'Watching over' us?" he echoed, an edge to his words. Teles placed her hand on his arm, squeezing gently, and he said no more.
 
"Indeed. Now, little youkai, I must commend you on your forethought. It's an excellent plan to speak a while with your brother and those humans he spends his time with. I myself had considered bringing some of my priestesses here to assist Teles, but I am not altogether certain it would be permitted."
 
"And," Teles added, "I'm not altogether certain your priestesses would know very much about... this." She ran a hand across her abdomen.
 
"Well, no," Aphrodite conceded. "They're a bit more knowledgeable in the arts that... lead to that particular condition. Perhaps Eileithyia--"
 
"No, Mother, I don't think Eileithyia would be allowed to assist. Even if Ryujin permitted it, Hera would not. If she kept Eileithyia away from Leto, I have no doubt she'd forbid her from coming here. Besides," Teles' lips twisted into a mirthless smile, "it's Hera's priestesses--"
 
"Hera can be damned, for all I care," Aphrodite countered, venom dripping from her tone. "Goddess of marriage and birth -- of motherhood. Honestly."
 
Sesshoumaru blinked. "She's the goddess of motherhood."
 
The goddess sighed and nodded. "Indeed. One of them, at least. Unfortunately, when the child in question is, in her words, an 'abomination'--- now there's no need to growl like that, little youkai. Hera believes herself to be well and truly justified in her actions, and it doesn't matter a whit what you or I think. Besides that, we're straying from the point. You should certainly speak with your little human friends--"
 
"--They are not my 'friends.'"
 
"--and see if they will permit you to bring Teles to their village. Certainly there's a midwife there. If there is not, then I will see if I can find an adequate substitute. Surely Ryujin would not deny such a request as that."
 
Teles nodded slowly. "As a matter of fact, there is an old woman in their village. A priestess. I believe she is the midwife."
 
The goddess clapped her hands together, smiling triumphantly. "Excellent. Then you, Sesshoumaru, will go to the village and make sure such a move would not be imposing too heavily on their hospitality. And when you return from that errand, then you and Teles--"
 
"Lady goddess," he interrupted, "it is not a short distance to my brother's village, I cannot--"
 
"Of course you can. I'll simply spirit you there, and when you're finished, I'll spirit you back," she replied smoothly, her smile never faltering.
 
"Would it not be easier to 'spirit' the miko here?"
 
"I am not permitted to do such a thing," she replied patiently. "You are my daughter's husband. That permits me to do a great many things I am not allowed to do to other inhabitants of this isle."
 
The prospect did not seem to please Sesshoumaru in the least. "I see. At any rate, I assure you, I can make the journey myself."
 
Grey eyes rolled heavenward. "Yes, of course you could. But why? Going yourself will take so much longer, and isn't time of the essence? Do you really wish to waste precious minutes flitting about the countryside?"
 
"--I do not flit."
 
"Regardless, my way is much quicker."
 
Sesshoumaru, much to his vexation, could not argue with this statement. But when he sent his mate a sidelong glance and saw that she was trying valiantly not to laugh, his annoyance subsided minutely. It had been far too long since he'd seen her thus, and if her mirth meant tolerating Aphrodite's antics, then Sesshoumaru thought it a small price to pay. He nodded once. "Very well."
 
"And in your absence, we will of course speak about you until your ears burn," Aphrodite added cheerfully. Sesshoumaru, however, did not appear amused.
 
"Mother..." Teles admonished, shaking her head. "We'll do nothing of the sort."
 
The goddess sighed, hard. "If you're going to be that way about it..."
 
"I am."
 
"Then we'll merely have to catch up on... lost time," she said enigmatically before flashing Sesshoumaru a bright smile. "I'll bring you back when you're finished, little youkai."
 
But before Sesshoumaru could ask how she could hope to know when he was ready to return (and before he could point out that he was far from "little"), he found himself standing at the outskirts of the forest just beyond Inuyasha's village. He gave a brief shudder, not being entirely fond of that mode of transportation, and tested the air tentatively.
 
"Excellent," he muttered darkly as he turned his steps toward the village. "She thinks enough to set me a polite distance from the village so my sudden presence does not frighten the locals, but she cannot seem to manage to manifest herself three steps to the left and knock before entering our bedchamber."
 
 
 
 
As Sesshoumaru was advancing with slow even steps past the rice paddies, Shippou was, at that moment, leaving the village, an after-supper Pocky stick clutched in his tiny hands. Kagome had given him the candy after he'd asked her a few times (okay, maybe more than a few) to play with him. It wasn't a replacement for Kagome, but it was Pocky.
 
The little kitsune had decided fairly quickly that the best course of action was to take the treat out of the village to enjoy it in peace. Inuyasha always claimed never to like candy at all, but that never stopped him from taking sweets away from Shippou, and while that usually ended with Kagome saying "Osuwari," which was always entertaining, Shippou just wanted to eat his candy without any interruptions from the hanyou or the other village children. It wasn't that Shippou didn't like to share, it was just that... he didn't like to share Pocky.
 
The last thing he had expected was to see, of all people, Sesshoumaru coming up the village path. The fox-child stopped suddenly, blinking his jewel-green eyes in disbelief. He'd heard the whole story about... well, everything that had gone on with Sesshoumaru and Teles-sama, but after having heard everything, it seemed really weird for Sesshoumaru to be here. What's he doing so far from home? Ugh, I really hope he didn't screw up again. Inuyasha's going to be pissed!
 
Twitching a little, Shippou hid the stick of candy in his vest and lifted his hand in a tremulous wave. "Uh... h-hi!" But the youkai lord did not reply; he only kept walking toward Shippou and the village, his expression never changing. The kitsune swallowed hard and looked around, quickly, fidgeting lightly. Sesshoumaru looked really annoyed.
 
Then again, when didn't he look really annoyed?
 
Gnawing on his lip a moment, Shippou summoned his nerve again. "N-nice weather we're having, isn't it?"
 
The youkai stopped and looked down at him, his eyes as cold and expressionless as ever, and it was at that moment when Shippou remembered that Inuyasha had told him that Sesshoumaru had decided he wouldn't hate humans anymore. But, now that he thought about it, Inuyasha hadn't said anything about kitsune.
 
Shippou gulped.
 
"Well, you're obviously very busy, so I won't bother you! 'Bye!" He turned around, trotting quickly and, he hoped, nonchalantly back toward the village. When he was nearly there, he turned around again to see if the youkai was still behind him.
 
He was. Sesshoumaru was following him.
 
Shippou froze. I'm going to die.
 
As he stood trembling, he felt Sesshoumaru pause behind him. He closed his eyes, waiting for the mortal blow.
 
"...You, Kitsune--"
 
No! I don't wanna die! Shippou turned suddenly. "KYAAA! KITSUNE-BI!"
 
There was a flash of blue fire and a spray of toys -- one top connecting rather solidly with Sesshoumaru's head -- before the kitsune then gave in to a great burst of speed, tearing through the village as fast as his legs would carry him, screaming Inuyasha's name at the top of his lungs.
 
The ruckus, as anyone could have guessed, brought Inuyasha out of Kaede's hut almost immediately, and once he spotted Shippou running towards him, he stepped forward, letting the kit dart behind him. He looked down. "What is it, runt?"
 
Shippou raised one shaking hand and pointed. Inuyasha blinked. "Sesshoumaru? You came screaming for me over Sesshoumaru?" At this point he realized that villagers were venturing out of their homes to see what was going on. He sheathed Tetsusaiga and jerked a shoulder in the direction of Kaede's hut. "C'mon."
 
Shippou squeaked. "B-but Inuyasha--"
 
"What?" he asked, tersely.
 
The kitsune's eyes bugged a bit. "It's Sesshoumaru!"
 
Rolling his eyes a little, Inuyasha regarded his half-brother. "Oi, you here to start trouble?"
 
Sesshoumaru's expression did not change. "No."
 
Inuyasha sent Shippou a "See?" look, but the kitsune was not so easily swayed. Hopping onto Inuyasha's shoulder, he tugged on one of the silvery ears atop the hanyou's head. "You're just gonna believe him?"
 
"Ow!" he yelled, swatting at the fox-child. "Get off!"
 
"If I were here to 'start trouble,'" Sesshoumaru said evenly, "you'd already be dead."
 
"I WOULD NOT."
 
"...and the village razed."
 
"SHUT THE HELL UP!"
 
Sesshoumaru's brows twitched upward. "A compelling argument."
 
Miroku, who had been standing off to the side, watching with Kagome and Sango, stepped forward and swept the kitsune off of Inuyasha's shoulder. "I'm afraid Sesshoumaru is at least partly right," the monk said, letting Kagome take Shippou into her arms. "From what I understand, he was hardly shy the last time he came to the vill... ah, heh..." Miroku caught Sesshoumaru's pointed glare and trailed off, coughing softly. "Well, never mind that."
 
"Indeed," the youkai replied stiffly, folding his arms into his sleeves.
 
Clearly having had enough of this, Inuyasha turned and stalked back to the hut, muttering. After a moment, the rest of the group, Sesshoumaru included, followed.
 
***
 
"I assume you had other reasons for sending Sesshoumaru off like that."
Aphrodite sat on the edge of the futon, smiling. "Whatever gave you that idea?" she asked, smoothing out the coverlet and avoiding her daughter's gaze. After a moment, when she looked up, Aphrodite caught Teles' wry look. The goddess sighed. "I only wanted to see how you were doing since your return."
 
Teles laughed softly. "As you can see, I'm doing... rather well, all things considered."
 
"You understand, then, why it was necessary?"
 
Nodding, she sighed. "I do. In fact, I daresay I understand better now than I did before. I... seeing him here, holding him..."
 
"You can't quite believe you didn't want to return?" Aphrodite asked quietly. Teles' reply was a slow nod, and the goddess blew out a deep breath. "Well, I'm only glad you didn't come to regret--"
 
"I do regret, Mother. I regret leaving."
 
"Ah. I was afraid of that." Pushing her thick hair past her shoulder, Aphrodite stretched out on the futon, lying alongside her daughter. "You cannot regret anything you've done, Teles. All is how it was meant to happen. You were meant to travel through that well, just as you were meant to travel back again." She paused a moment. "Do you recall Odysseus, darling?"
 
Teles made a face. "I do."
 
"Now, now, don't hold a grudge just because he managed to escape the Sirens. My point is that humans have journeys. I believe it is how most of them learn about themselves. Yours occurred through time rather than distance, which is fine -- but you cannot regret any part of it. You both had a great deal to learn, and you're both so unbearably proud that it took... well, it took a rather grand gesture to sink through your heads."
 
Chuckling softly, the pregnant woman shifted into a more comfortable position. "I can't stop thinking about how I left him. That time... it didn't happen. That saddens me, that there are memories I have with him that... don't exist."
 
"But those experiences have helped you. Sometimes memories can serve a function, rather than simple amusement." Smiling, Aphrodite reached up and tucked a lock of hair behind Teles' ear, slowly letting her fingers drift through the length of it. "Besides, you'll have plenty of time to make more memories. Not the same ones, no, but lasting ones that you'll both share."
 
Exhaustion was catching up with the former goddess and Teles' eyes grew heavy as her mother stroked her hair. "Tell me... is he happier now?"
 
Aphrodite did not reply; she only watched as her daughter drifted off into dreams. Happier than you can ever know, daughter.
 
***
 
At that moment, Sesshoumaru was attempting to explain to his brother the reason for his impromptu visit. He'd then made the grave mistake of mentioning his initial plans regarding the birth of his heir. Inuyasha took the news with his usual level of aplomb, which was to say not much.
 
"What the fuck do you mean, you wanted her to have the kid there?!"

"It is our ancestral home," he replied evenly.

Inuyasha sputtered. "It's a cave!"
 
Sesshoumaru arched an eyebrow at Inuyasha. "A cave you were born in."
 
Inuyasha, however, opted to ignore this argument. "Humans need extra help with shit like that! You know how fragile they are!"
 
Sesshoumaru tucked his arms deep in his sleeves. "Ah, my apologies," he replied dryly. "I must have forgotten. By all means, do remind my mate of her fragility. I'll watch." He paused. "From a distance."
 
Kagome coughed discreetly and rested her hand on Inuyasha's arm. He settled back with a glower and she blew out a soft breath before smiling at Sesshoumaru. The youkai watched the exchange with interest. "Kaede-baachan has already met Teles once," she explained. "I know it's been a busy winter so far, but I'm sure she'd be more than willing to be the midwife at the birth."
 
"And the rest of the humans?" Sesshoumaru asked quietly.
 
For a moment, Kagome looked confused. She glanced at Miroku and Sango, her brow furrowed. "I-I don't understand what you--"

"The rest of the villagers," he said, inclining his head. Still, Kagome looked at him blankly.
 
"I think," Sango ventured hesitantly, "Sesshoumaru is concerned about... how the rest of the villagers are going to react to a hanyou child."
 
"Oh -- oh." Kagome looked at the youkai, and then at Inuyasha, who was flushing slightly, his scowl still firmly in place. "I... they're--" she broke off, biting her lip and frowning suddenly. After a moment, she tilted her chin upward in a defiant gesture. "Teles and the baby will be fine," she said firmly.
 
The unspoken sentiment echoed through the room: Any unfortunate villager who had a problem with the situation would have to take it up with Kagome.
 
Sesshoumaru nodded once. "In that case, I wish to bring Teles here as soon as possible. The child is growing progressively more restless. He is becoming increasingly difficult to calm." He fell silent for a beat. "I do not believe it will be much longer."
 
Kagome got to her feet and smoothed out her sweater. "In that case, why don't you go get her now, and bring her back here? In the meantime, we'll find Kaede-baachan and explain things to her."
 
"...I may return sooner than you anticipate, miko."
 
The younger girl blinked. "Eh?"
 
"Aphrodite..." he trailed off and paused, looking uncomfortable. "Aphrodite assisted in my journey, shortening it."
 
Kagome blinked and thought a moment, then shrugged, smiling brightly. "Then I guess we'll have to hurry when we talk to her."
 
Sesshoumaru looked at the young woman for a moment, and then at her companions. Their expressions (aside from Inuyasha, who was doing his best to appear disinterested) were earnest; they wanted to help. The youkai could not help but feel somewhat surprised at this; they would help Teles. They would make sure the child was not treated poorly while in the village. Of course, Sesshoumaru had his own methods for making sure his child was treated properly, but he rather imagined his measures would be met with some resistance, and while resistance was not something that troubled Sesshoumaru a great deal, he had other, more pressing matters on his mind at the moment.
 
After a long pause, he nodded once and stood. "I will bring her here."
 
At his movement, the others got to their feet as well. The taiji-ya volunteered to go with Kagome while Miroku enlisted Inuyasha to prepare something called a "quarantine hut." He left the old miko's hut with the rest of them, their paths diverging when he turned to make his way back past the rice paddies, into the forest.
 
Sesshoumaru was only half the distance to the forest when he felt an odd, but vaguely familiar, tingling sensation racing across his skin. In an instant, he found himself back at the den, standing in his bedchamber. Teles was curled on her side, sleeping soundly, Aphrodite perched on the edge of the futon, running her fingers through her daughter's hair.
 
"I will be bringing her to the village as soon as possible," he said quietly.
 
"Excellent," Aphrodite replied. "I will send you both."
 
"Shortly -- I must first speak with my vassal. Jaken and Rin will be--"
 
"Good gods, no."
 
He blinked at her, not sure he heard correctly. "...No?"
 
"No," she said firmly. "No, you cannot bring them with you. The last thing you need to worry about right now is bringing a kappa and a child along when your wife is getting ready to give birth, little youkai. Your mind will be, I'm quite certain, otherwise occupied."
 
"What do you propose, goddess?" he asked, arching an eyebrow at Aphrodite. "I cannot very well leave them here when I do not know how long I will be gone."
 
"They won't be alone, Sesshoumaru."
 
The youkai regarded the goddess, his brows knitting into a small frown. He didn't quite follow Aphrodite's thoughts, but that was nothing new. However, as far as Sesshoumaru could see, there was no way to avoid leaving Rin and Jaken alone. He opened his mouth to protest when the goddess smiled at him. Instantly the youkai was wary; Aphrodite's smile was too bright, too brazenly confident, too...
 
"I will stay with them in the interim."
 
It took Sesshoumaru several seconds to identify the cold chill down his back: it was fear.
 
"You really have no choice, my son," she added cheerfully when the youkai didn't reply right away. "You could bring them, but childbirth is highly unpredictable. It may be days that you're gone, you know. And I can almost guarantee that you will have even less patience than usual during that time. When months of waiting dwindle down to days, every moment becomes an eternity of anticipation. It really is best for all involved that you leave your vassal and your charge in my company."
 
Rather than reject her offer immediately, no matter how tempting it was, Sesshoumaru paused, considering. "Will you be able to provide adequate protection?"
 
Aphrodite took affront to such a suggestion and it showed; her spine straightened as she inclined her head. "Certainly you do not doubt the abilities of an immortal," she said stiffly. "Besides," she added, a secretive smile at her lips, "do not think that I can't sense the den's protective charms. They will be safe; I assure you of it."
 
"And what of the rules to which you must adhere?"
 
"As far as Ryujin is concerned, I may protect my daughter and her family. Your Rin is very much like a daughter to Teles. And the toad is like a..." Aphrodite paused thoughtfully, "a very distant cousin whom one sees very infrequently."
 
Sesshoumaru arched an eyebrow. "You are interpreting Ryujin-sama's rules in your own light, I see."
 
"Is there any other way to interpret something?" she asked, grey eyes dancing. Before Sesshoumaru could reply, she spoke again. "Now, you shouldn't dally any longer. I'll explain where you've gone and that you shouldn't be absent more than a week--"
 
"A week?"
 
"After the child is born," she answered him, "she will need to heal, Sesshoumaru. It will take time. Childbirth is very wearing on a human woman. You've been told this before, little youkai."
 
Frowning, Sesshoumaru looked down at his slumbering mate; indeed he had learned that much in all this time. Still, the time necessary for a human body to repair itself never failed to surprise him. "Very well. Assure them I will return at my earliest convenience." He took a few steps toward the futon, reluctant to wake Teles. Kneeling, he reached out, passing his hand over her forehead murmuring her name.
 
Teles stirred, blinking awake before lolling her head to regard him. After a moment a sleepy smile warmed her lips. "You're back."
 
He brushed her bangs back. "Yes. And I'm pleased to find you resting."
 
She rubbed a hand over her face. "Even I can behave sometimes."
 
Sesshoumaru chuckled softly, claws combing through her hair. "But only sometimes."
 
After shooting him a mock-glare, Teles pushed herself up and leaned back on her elbows. "So," she paused to yawn, "have we a journey ahead of us?"
 
He nodded. "I will be taking you to Inuyasha's village immediately. They are preparing things even now."
 
"I can hardly believe it's nearly time." Her voice was soft, and she sounded at once apprehensive and anticipatory, relieved and unnerved at the same time. "It's been so long..."
 
"You are nearing the end of but one short journey, beloved. Many more await you after this one."
 
She laughed a little. "I look forward to them. My step will be lighter."
 
Smiling faintly, Sesshoumaru leant over, easing the pregnant woman's body into his arms. He rose to his feet, slowly, cradling her soft warmth against his chest. Aphrodite stood and approached them both.
 
"May Gaia be with you, Teles.
 
"You forget, Mother -- my constant companion through this experience has been my husband, not Gaia."
 
Aphrodite chuckled. "Very well. May your little youkai be with you."
 
Sesshoumaru did not speak again until after Aphrodite had transported them to the edge of the rice paddies. He adjusted her in his arms, turning and shielding her body from a sharp gust of winter wind before looking down at her, incredulity in his eyes. "...Constant companion?"
 
"Yes," she replied. "And I'll not tolerate any argument from you over the fact."
 
"I would not dare argue with a woman in your condition."
 
"A wise choice."
 
He began walking. "I do make them occasionally."
 
It was a short walk to the village, and Sesshoumaru traveled it in good time, carrying Teles to the elderly miko's hut. As he approached, the doorflap pulled back, and Inuyasha poked his head out.
 
"Damn, that was fast."
 
Sesshoumaru did not reply; he only shot his brother a dry, unamused look as he stepped into the hut. There was bedding set up and Sesshoumaru lowered himself to one knee, setting Teles down. She settled back with a sigh, running her hand across her abdomen.
 
Miroku, who was kneeling by the firepit with Shippou, looked up with a smile. "How are you faring, Teles-sama?"
 
Teles chuckled. "All things considered, I am faring well, little monk." She opened her mouth to say something more when a shadow passed over her brow and she grimaced.
 
"Is he troubling you?" Sesshoumaru asked, watching her narrowly.
 
Teles was silent for a moment or two before exhaling a deep, slow breath. "Not any more than has become usual, beloved. He is impatient, as I've said before. But luckily that is a trait I have grown accustomed to, courtesy of his father."
 
A small, worried smile passed fleetingly over the youkai's face before he looked at Inuyasha. "The miko knows, then?"
 
"Yeah. Kagome explained it all to her. She said you two can stay in the quarantine hut until she whelps. Kagome's down there now with Sango," he said, a scowl darkening his features. "Doing something called 'disunfecting.'"
 
"It's 'disinfecting,' Inuyasha," Miroku corrected him.
 
"Do I look like I care?" he replied, huffily.
 
"Inuyasha's just mad because it's too smelly for him to be near Kagome," Shippou chirped, ducking behind Miroku when Inuyasha turned and snarled at him. The kitsune scrambled up Miroku's back and peeked over his shoulder, tail twitching. "It's true! The quarantine hut smells awful!"
 
Sesshoumaru looked at the kitsune and then back at his brother. "Why is she doing such a thing to the hut?" he asked warily. If the scent was such that Inuyasha couldn't stand being near Kagome, Sesshoumaru wondered exactly how bad it was.
 
"The way Kagome-sama explained it to us," Miroku said, turning back to the fire, "because the quarantine hut is used to house sick villagers, some of that illness may... linger, and could pose a danger to Teles-sama or the child."
 
This was answer enough for Sesshoumaru, who only nodded once, his gaze flickering once more to Teles. She met his eyes and smiled reassuringly, reaching out and capturing his hand in hers.
 
"I have faith in Kagome; if she believes it is for the best, it is for the best."
 
"Soon after several of the village children came fell sick," Miroku said, moving away from the fire and settling against one wall, "Kagome-sama went through the well, 'to pick up a few things,' she said. She came back with..." the monk gestured vaguely, "all manner of fascinating containers and bottles. She said it would help prevent the spread of 'germs,' which, from her description, sound almost like youkai smaller than the eye can see."
 
Teles chuckled. "I think perhaps it is a result of living in her land. They do things... differently there."
 
Inuyasha snorted. "'Different.' That's one way to put it."
 
In an hour, the long, late-afternoon shadows had moved and lengthened. The small group clustered in Kaede's hut traded tales until the hanyou infant began troubling its mother. Sesshoumaru sent his half-brother a meaningful look, which Inuyasha managed to interpret.
 
He stood, crossing the hut in several strides. "Come on, bouzu. Time to patrol." Miroku nodded once and got to his feet before following Inuyasha out, a protesting Shippou perched on his shoulder.
 
"Are you all right, beloved?" he asked, joining her on the futon.
 
"I wish people would stop asking me that," she replied, an edge to her voice. "He is--" her words stopped with a sharp hiss of pain.
 
"Impatient," he supplied, sliding one arm around the swollen stomach, "like his father." Closing his eyes, he let out a low, soothing growl against her abdomen. It took a bit longer to soothe the child than he was accustomed, and while it worried him, he kept his concern to himself.
 
"That's better," she murmured a little later, her fingers drifting through his hair. "Thank you."
 
Before he could reply, Sesshoumaru sneezed, and it was hard to tell which of them was more surprised by it. Not long afterward, Sango and Kagome entered the hut, their hair pulled back into high ponytails, each carrying a bucket filled with bottles and brushes. A scarf hung around Kagome's neck, and Sango's taiji-ya mask dangled from one hand. Kagome blinked, surprised to find the hut so sparsely inhabited.
 
"Inuyasha and the monk have left to patrol," Sesshoumaru supplied, nose twitching slightly before glaring at the buckets. "I suppose," he said, covering his nose with his sleeve, "that is what Inuyasha was complaining about?"
 
Kagome shifted her weight from one foot to the other and looked down at the cleaning supplies she carried. "Oh... heh. Yeah. The quarantine hut needed to be cleaned and..." She stopped when Sango took the bucket from her hand.
 
"I'll put these somewhere they won't bother him or Inuyasha," she supplied helpfully before ducking out of the hut.
 
"You weren't kidding when you said you were going to be right back," Kagome said, rocking back on her heels. "The quarantine hut should be ready soon. It's airing out now. I like to clean it after it's been used." She smiled at Teles. "It's better for the baby."
 
"While I can have no objections to anything ensuring the safety of my heir, the scent is most unpleasant." Again, Sesshoumaru's nose twitched and it looked as if he were holding back a sneeze. Teles looked at him a moment and lowered her head, hiding her smile.
 
Kagome tucked a loose strand of hair behind one ear. "After the hut airs out it shouldn't bother you... too much." She clasped her hands together in front of her. "Anyway, I talked a little with Kaede-baachan while we were cleaning, and we agree that the best idea is for you and Teles-sama to stay in the hut until she goes into labor." Kagome paused, frowning. "That's, uh, what it means when the baby--"
 
"I gathered from the context."
 
"Ah. Okay. Um, so when Teles-sama goes into labor, she'll stay in the quarantine hut -- and Kaede-baachan, of course, and probably Sango, since she used to help her village's midwife, and... me, maybe." Kagome looked incredibly uncomfortable at this prospect. "If it's necessary." She hesitated slightly. "I don't think it will be, but--"
 
"Oi, Kagome, it's about damned time you--" Inuyasha charged into the hut and promptly sneezed. Miroku and Sango came in behind him, hand in hand.
 
Shippou darted in between their legs, coming to a stop at Kagome's feet. His hands went to his nose and covered it bare seconds before he too let out a violent sneeze. "Whuh did you ad Saggoh do?" he asked before sneezing again. "You sbell fuddy."
 
Kagome smiled ruefully before looking at Sango. "I think that's a hint."
 
The taiji-ya nodded. "I must confess, Kagome, these supplies from your world do smell... strange."
 
"So much for pine fresh," said the younger girl with a shrug.
 
"Doesn't smell like any tree I ever saw," grumbled Inuyasha.
 
"Okay, okay," Kagome said as she picked up her yellow pack. "I'll go get washed up." She looked at the other young woman. "Sango?"
 
Sango nodded. "That's probably a good idea."
 
There was a brief pause then, and all eyes went to the monk. It looked for a moment as if he was about to say something, but after a quick glance at Sango, who was sending him a level look, he appeared to think better of it and kept his mouth shut. A surprised silence followed the expectant one, and the two young women left the hut.
 
While the young women were gone, the rest of them stayed around the firepit, exchanging stories until Sango and Kagome returned. Eventually Kaede joined them and brewed a pot of tea, which they enjoyed for a while longer, until the old miko announced that it was likely enough time had passed for the quarantine hut to have aired out sufficiently.
 
"But it will not be warm," Kaede said, casting a glance at the group. Miroku was the first to pick up on the hint.
 
"Perhaps, Kaede-sama, some of us should go ahead and get a fire started?" he asked, his shakujou jingling as he got to his feet.
 
"Proper bedding must be prepared as well," the old woman added.
 
"Indeed," the monk replied. "Kagome-sama, perhaps you and Sango could find adequate bedding while Inuyasha, Shippou and I prepare a fire?"
 
Kagome looked up sharply, blinking. "Hmm?" She caught Miroku's eye and looked at Teles and then at Kaede. All at once she remembered the last time Kaede saw Teles; the old miko had wanted to examine the pregnant woman, to make sure all was as it should have been. So close to the birth, it was likely that she'd want to do the same thing again. After a second or two, she nodded. "Okay, that sounds like a good idea. Inuyasha, go with Miroku-sama and Shippou-chan, and we'll all get the hut ready, okay?"
 
"What?" Inuyasha said, lifting his head as his ears twitched. "Why the hell should I--" his words were cut off when Kagome yanked on a lock of Inuyasha's hair, bringing one ear down to her mouth. She whispered furtively into the furry appendage, and when she was done, it flattened against his head as his cheeks heated with a fiery blush.
 
Teles had also figured out what the old woman had in mind. She looked at Sesshoumaru and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "Why don't you go with them, beloved?"
 
He looked at her, bewilderment etched on his features. "Why?"
 
She cleared her throat and gave a delicate cough. "I believe Kaede-sama would like to speak with me privately."
 
"I am your mate," he replied with a regal tilt of his chin. "There is nothing the miko can say to--"
 
But Teles wasn't of any mind to listen. "Sesshoumaru. Go. Now."
 
He blinked at her, then glanced briefly at the others, who were most definitely watching the exchange.
 
"...Please," she added gently, in an effort to remove some of the sting from what was so clearly an order. "It would mean a great deal to me."
 
After a long pause, Sesshoumaru nodded once, relenting. "Very well."
 
By the time Teles and Sesshoumaru were settled in the hut, the moon was shining high in the sky, casting the world beneath it in its silver glow. The expectant parents were curled up on the borrowed bedding, Teles' back pressed comfortably against Sesshoumaru's chest and one of his hands splayed out across the expanse of her stomach. They were finally alone.
 
"It still smells... odd in here," Sesshoumaru observed quietly.
 
"We're here only for a short while, beloved," Teles replied, twisting a bit to drop a kiss against his cheek. "Can you bear it?"
 
"I can. Your presence -- ours, actually -- is already replacing the scent."
 
Pulling back slightly, Teles regarded him in the fire's glow. Her smile was a mischievous one and it made the light dance in her eyes. It took a moment for her to school the grin into a bland expression. "Only you would hold me in bed, a fire crackling nearby, and think of no better observation to make than, 'the hut does not smell as bad as it once did.'" She paused a beat. "And they say you're not romantic."
 
"Indeed, madam," he deadpanned, "I am not."
 
 
***
 
Patience was a virtue, and Hera was nothing if not patient.
 
With Teles' transformation, Hera found she was no longer permitted to use the Waters of the Fates to watch the woman -- Teles was a human in a land in which Hera had no authority, and was therefore protected. The Queen of the Gods was, however, permitted a glimpse when an Olympian paid a visit to the ex-goddess. Hera knew Aphrodite would not be able to stay away permanently, and she was rewarded for her fortitude when the goddess of love made her presence known to the former Siren.
 
Unfortunately, it was not long after this that Aphrodite sent her daughter through a portal, hiding her once again from Hera's eyes. That had vexed the goddess greatly, and while she had been able to follow Aphrodite afterward, the images she saw were confusing. However, Hera continued monitoring the goddess, and was soon rewarded with the knowledge that Teles had been spirited away to another time, and those odd, conflicting images had been the result of a time paradox.
 
Hera hated to admit it, but that had been an ingenious move on Aphrodite's part.
 
But now the waiting and watching were going to pay off. Now she knew where Teles was headed, and with only the demon Sesshoumaru as her protection, Hera would prevail. She would have the traitorous mother and her mongrel son exterminated in one glorious stroke.
 
Hera smiled to herself as she glided across the terrain, pausing to look out over the water. Lake Lerna and its springs were placid, as still as death and reflecting only the moon above. Thready clouds of fog hovered above the water's surface, catching the moonlight and giving the lake an ethereal glow. One of the doors to Hades' realm, the entire area was widely believed to be a grave, and that the evil buried here had long since seeped into the ground, saturating it. But this was not the case; the creature beneath the earth had not perished -- it only slept.
 
With a delicate gesture, Hera watched as the enormous boulder before her vanished. She stood at the edge of an unfathomably deep hole, gazing into the depths for a long moment; she was inordinately pleased with herself. It had not taken much for her to convince Echidna to release her child from its slumbering prison.
 
"Wake, Hydra," she breathed. "Arise." After a long moment, a faint hiss and the distant sound of scales moving against scales slithered up through the hole, answering her. The Hydra obeyed; it woke, but slowly.
 
"Arise," she said again, louder, and it was if the sound of her voice cut through the gloom like sunlight. Another hiss echoed upwards, and beneath the rush of air was a ragged, wet growl, the sound of hunger, perhaps. A leathery creak followed and another rush of hot, foul wind rushed upward, sending Hera's golden curls blowing up and back in a gleaming tangle. As the Hydra stretched its ancient wings, the stiff joints popped and cracked like hundreds of bones. There was another hiss. Great red eyes glowed dully at her, slit pupils adjusting to moonlight after centuries of darkness.
 
A beatific smile lit the goddess' face. "I have a task for you."
 
 
Extra A/N: Note the reference to Hera's "Waters of the Fates" -- the fact that they were disabled is something that was first mentioned in Chapter 27, for those of you curious.