InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Title- Once upon a cell phone
 
Author- Anonymous Fangirl
 
Category- Romance, a little angst later on. Not much comedy, if you were expecting it. I mean, there's lots of adult humor, but not enough for it to be a category
 
Spoilers- Galore
 
Rating- Young Adult
 
Summary- Kagome accidentally brings a cell phone to the past. But what happens when it begins to work? And what does it have to do with Miroku?
 
Disclaimer- Seriously, if I was Rumiko Takahashi, would I be on Mediaminer.org? Not that it isn't a lovely site, mind you, I'd just be too busy plotting ways to ruin Inuyasha's and Kikyou's lives. Not that I hate them. We just have… mutual dislike for each other. Goes way back to kindergarten.
 
 
Other: need to buy a wall scroll for above my desk. Why is A-1 Comics closed? I would so bike down there! It's only five miles… give or take a mile or three…
 
P.S.S- Um, there is a really corny line in here. DNA. Just read it and shut up. I was too tired to come up with something more original than that. I'm sure I will though. When I'm not running on fumes…
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter One
 
 
 
 
 
 
She supposed it was just her luck. After all, what other girl in the history of the world would have jumped through a magical time traveling well only to find herself face to face with a mean faced demon who was demanding her to give him her jewels before he forced her to become his bride. How many times was that now? Kagome had lost track after the thunder brothers. Sure, they hadn't really wanted to make her their bride (she shuddered at the thought of being married to Manten), but it followed the same concept none the less.
 
Alice may have had her wonderland, but she had nothing on Kagome's magic bunny hole.
 
And, to make matters worse, she had come early to surprise Inuyasha. So of course he wouldn't be waiting for her. He was probably at Keade's hut grumbling about not having enough food (Kagome knew that she shouldn't have brought Ramen in the first place. . . she had ruined him for all other foods!), her caring more about her school work than about gathering his jewel shards (which, in all honesty, she had to admit that she did care more about her school work, disturbing as the concept was, than hunting down some jewel with unimaginable powers), and beating the living hell out of Shippo. She would sit him a good one for that later.
 
Shippo would be crying. For what, she had only to guess. For Inuyasha chasing her away, for her going home and leaving him with Inuyasha, for Inuyasha not chasing after her, for Inuyasha hitting him * hard * on the head…
 
The list went on for a while.
 
Sango would be back at the village, probably sighing as Inuyasha attacked Shippo, long past the point of caring, or sitting out by the river watching the sun set in the distance. It was her favorite thing to do, especially since it was nearing the one-year anniversary of her village's massacre.
 
Sometimes Kagome wondered if she was more suicidal than everyone thought. After all, when Kohaku was finally dead, she had told them herself that she didn't feel right about being the only demon slayer left…
 
“Shards please.” The ugly demon said as he held out one scaled hand towards Kagome with menace and something Kagome was afraid she could identify as lust in his eyes as he lulled out his tongue. Kagome resisted the urge to squeal when a large glop of saliva hit her hand like a giant, smelly, sticky raindrop. Inuyasha- village. Shippo- village. Sango- grave site. All that left was Miroku…
 
Kagome wasn't really all that sure where Miroku was at. Either he was hitting on some girls, spying on some girls, conning someone…
 
Okay, he could be anywhere.
 
Kagome was on her own.
 
Man, she hated being on her own.
 
Kagome smiled a sickly sweet smile and pointedly wiped her hand off on the demon's vest. It looked like soft fur, but it was course and rough, like a long haired Dalmatian or something. She wanted to hurl when the demon's eyes rolled back into his head and he let out a deep throated moan. Was that his chest? Kagome really didn't want to ask. Instead, she decided to do the one thing she was sure she could do with most demons, humans, half demons, perverted monks. . .
 
Well, maybe not the last one.
 
“I shall be your bride and give you my sacred jewel shards.” Kagome said with a smile and a nod. The demon (Kagome still wasn't sure on the breed. It seemed to be some form of furry reptile.) reached for Kagome. But Kagome simply held up a hand. “But I am so shy.” She said, turning her face away in what could appear to an onlooker as humility. In reality, Kagome was turning her head away from his breath. “Could we speak with my father first? I must let him know of my decision to marry. I live in a village not far from here.” Kagome said as she looked pointedly at Keade's village.
 
The demon looked skeptical, but Kagome could tell that it would take only a few more words to persuade him to leave the safety of the outer reaches of the village and go straight to the center- where Inuyasha was sure to be and sure to defend her.
 
If not, well, the villagers certainly knew how to skewer a good lizard.
 
And skin a rabbit.
 
Seriously, what sort of demon is he? Kagome wondered.
 
“Please, my father will surely say yes! After all, who could say no to such a powerful and handsome demon such as yourself?” Kagome said as she stroked his chest and placed her tone in “mild seductress” mode.
 
The demon merely nodded, and puffed out his chest. Kagome smirked inwardly. She knew how men worked. Stroke their ego or stroke their...
 
Kagome didn't finish her train of thought. He reached for her; however, he never got a hold on her. It was only seconds after her speech when Kagome saw a rustle of leaves and heard the clink of metal that signified her favorite monk.
 
“Down Kagome!” Miroku yelled as he let loose his hell hole. Kagome fell back into the well, grabbing on to the sides to keep herself from going back into her own time period, and listened to the shrieks of the demon as he was swallowed in to an oblivion. Kagome heard the screams of the air as it ripped all around her, and she wanted to cry. This… this sound, this wind, this feeling of emptiness that she always had when she was near the open wind tunnel… That was hell. Crashing, burning, hissing. Commanding everything be drawn to it. Demanding…
 
“Come to me, my child.” Kagome heard a voice that was unmistakable. It was smooth as silk, as deadly as a black mamba. “Let me hold you.” The owner of the voice was a liar and deceitful. He would kill her, she knew, and as soon as she realized it, the voice turned angry. “Let me rip you to pieces. Let me drink your blood, and eat your flesh. When we are done, I will draw you a bath from your own blood, and hold your head under while I bath you.” It did sound like something Naraku would say. Would do, for that matter. Kagome felt the tears welling in her eyes. What must it be like, Kagome wondered, to know that your life was going to end? Did it hurt, like it hurt her to stand near the open wind? Was it soft and soothing, like it had sounded when it first spoke to her? Was it…
 
“Kagome? Can I give you a hand up?” Miroku asked as he leaned over the well. He didn't wait for her to answer- he simply hoisted her into the air with one hand while the other braced himself against the lip of the well.
 
Kagome adjusted herself and gave Miroku a curt “thank you” before she grabbed her backpack- which had been laying on the ground where she had thrown it over before she had tried to climb up- and threw it over her shoulder. Or tried to. Miroku took that and held it- slung over one shoulder- and herded her towards town. Kagome scoffed.
 
“What are you, a sheep dog?” She asked sarcastically.
 
“What are you, some mail order bride?” Miroku retorted with a smirk, but his eyes were shining with anger.
 
Kagome stutter stepped. Where had Miroku learned about those? Surely she hadn't mentioned the term, and they definitely didn't have them yet…
 
Kagome shrugged it off. Maybe she had mentioned them once, and she simply didn't remember the conversation. But that was weird. She normally remembered every conversation she had with Miroku. Maybe not with any of the others, but her conversations with Miroku had always been so- insightful that they always struck a cord in her memory.
 
Kagome stopped in her tracks and tried to grab her back pack, but Miroku simply lifted it above his head- without stopping or looking behind him- and continued the trek to the village.
 
Kagome sighed. Whatever. The bag had been heavier than usual anyways…
 
“Kagome! Miroku!” Shippo screamed as he launched himself off of a fence post that surrounded the villages tiny vegetable fields and on to Kagome's shoulder. “You're back early!” Shippo stated the obvious. Miroku glared at Shippo with mild jealously as he squirmed around on Kagome's shoulders, gripped her back, sniffed a few times, and circled again like some sort of strange squirrel…
 
“Hey, Miroku! You're back early! I thought it would take you way longer than two days to get here and back to Hachi's!” Inuyasha said as he looked up from his place helping out in the field. “And Kagome! You're never here on time! What a shock!” Inuyasha told her as he leaned against his pickax.
 
Kagome shrugged. “And you never do more work than is absolutely necessary, yet here you are helping out the village in the farms. How the weak have risen, Inuyasha!” Kagome said with a teasing smile on her face.
 
“Kagome! You're back early!” Sango's voice came in a sing-song tone as she too worked diligently in the fields, most likely against every male in the village's command. “I thought that you weren't suppose to be here until you finished your tests!”
 
Kagome sighed. Why does everyone seem to expect for her to always be later than she said? A voice in her head told her because other than today, she always was, but she pointedly ignored it. “Well, I finished the last of them a few hours ago and decided to come back tonight instead of in the morning!”
 
Then, as if it had just been told to her, Kagome looked up at Miroku. “You went to Hachi's? You shouldn't be back until tomorrow. Even with riding on Hachi, it always takes you at least three days to get there and back. What were you doing by the well?” Kagome asked Miroku in the same way a child would ask their parents what was in their Christmas presents.
 
Who was Miroku to deny such a bright and pretty smile?
 
Of course, he couldn't tell her the truth.
 
He couldn't tell her that he had been camping out by the well, waiting for her when he wasn't working on the DNA. Destroy Naraku Association. He supposed Naraku hadn't even began to reek havoc again in her time yet. But in his time…
 
His time period was not 1500 A.D. His time period was more 700 N.R. Naraku's reign. Approximately 800 years after her time period. No, his mission was top secret.
 
“Actually, Kagome, I had to come back early. I realized I had forgotten something.” Miroku said. He had tried to come up with a better lie, but for some reason he couldn't think of a better one.
 
Kagome's eyes narrowed. Miroku's pupil's thinned. Somewhere behind them, someone shouted out that he had found oil. And Kagome knew Miroku was lying.
 
Of course she would know! Miroku thought to himself. She's not an idiot and it was a pretty bad lie! Miroku would have to get better at it quickly.
 
Inuyasha was about to say something- or had already said something and it was so stupid that their ears simply tuned it out as being useless information- when a loud, shrill ring pierced the air. Shippo jumped. Inuyasha jumped. Kagome even jumped. Let's just skip to the part where I say everyone who heard the ring jumped. Except for Miroku. Miroku simply paled as he turned around and looked at Kagome's backpack- which was still resting on his shoulder comfortably. He dropped it- gently- and unzipped it. Slowly, carefully, he pulled out a thin, black cell phone with the word Motorola in big silver lettering on the cover. Noticing the number, he flicked it open quietly. Everyone stared at him as if he was crazy. Kagome stared in simple disbelief.
 
“Sorry Kagome. It's for me.” Miroku said as he pushed the green phone button that activated talk. “Can this wait, Suuhai? I kinda can't talk right now.” Miroku said. He nodded once, then shrugged. “Well, you see, you didn't locate my cell, you located another time traveler's cell.” What's her name? Kagome heard a faint Scottish accent over the line. “Higurashi Kagome.” Is she a spawn? Only Reincarnations and shades of Naraku are suppose to pass through. “No, she's clean. Miko.” Is she single? “No.” Miroku said, and Kagome noticed something of… disappointment flash through his eyes. She shook her head. She was imagining things. Just like she was imagining this phone call. There was no way her cell phone worked in the feudal era. No towers! No satellites! No electronics! And even stranger, how did Miroku know how to use her phone? She had to be dreaming. It was the only logical explanation.
 
Her thoughts were cut off when she heard the faint click of her phone turning off. Miroku turned to face them, and, rubbing his head in embarrassment, he smiled. “Well, I guess now would be a good a time as any to tell you that I'm from the future as well. My name is Sei Miroku, and I am the head of DNA, an organization dedicated to destroying Naraku.” Miroku saluted mockingly. “Nice to met you all. Again.”
 
Flies were being caught in mouths for some time after that.
 
Review. For the love of all that is holy, please review. I promise I'll love you. Do it for the puppies. When you review, a puppy smiles. Sure, it's a lopsided smile that's instigated by my squeals of laughter, but it's a smile none the less, isn't it?