InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Title: Once upon a cell phone
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Kagome brings a cell phone to the past… and it works!?!? What's this all got to do with our favorite monk?
 
Disclaimer: Hmm… Still not Rumiko Takahashi
 
Etc: DNA, you ask? Shut up, I said. I was tired. It was 1:30 at night. People at the bar across the street were dancing, and MY HAIR HURTS RIGHT NOW! * Sniffle * Plus the boys at school won't stop groping me. I think my ass has become public property…
 
They've groped me so many times I just turn and stare at them now…
 
I think they broke me! They groped me too many times, and now I am broken!
 
Isn't that the saddest thing you've ever heard?
 
Rating: Mature. Anything lower would be no fun, and it doesn't get any higher on fanfiction.net, which I absoluetly Adore. Any other questions? Oh, yeah, it's 12:47 right now, so don't take it personally if some things are corny. DNA… I could think of something better than that. I just need some more time. Oh yeah. And my spelling checker is still broken. Forgive the bad grammer. And spelling problems. Seriously, my spell checker must hate me. It's okay… I hate it too. I am Kagome and the spell checker is… Kouga! So annoying… but at times, totally necessary.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Two
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome pinched herself a she stared at Miroku in disbelief. Nope, still asleep. She had to be. Why else would Miroku be standing there with his loopsided grin, admitting he was from the future and using her cell phone.
 
She pinched herself again. Yup, still dreaming.
 
Miroku sighed and grabed Kagome's hands. “Stop it Kagome. Look, you've already got a red mark on your arm.” Miroku clucked his tongue as he inspected it to be sure she hadn't broken her skin at any point.
 
Kagome looked at Miroku in what could only be called disbelief. There was no better word for it yet. She had to be asleep. Maybe in her sleep, Buyo was scratching at her, making her think she was pinching herself. Yes, that made perfect sense. So, she did the next best thing.
 
With out a word, Kagome stood up straight and walked quickly away from the village.
 
Sango, Inuyasha, and Shippo all moved to follow, but when Miroku held out his Shajoku (sp?), the halted to a stop.
 
Miroku shook his head lightly before he spoke. “Please let me take care of this one. It's just something I've… got to do…”
 
Inuyasha was about to move to protest, but Sango quietly said. “I agree.” And Inuyasha simmered down.
 
As Miroku began to walk away, Sango sighed. There he goes again… Off after Kagome. It had always been him or Shippo to calm her down. Sango shot a well placed glare at Inuyasha, who promptly shuddered.
 
And she had always been left with him.
 
When Inuyasha turned away from her, grumbling, Sango laughed, mood remarkably lighter. “Such a child…” She groaned as she knelt down next to where he had sat in a rather familiar pouting position.
 
Inuyasha scoffed.
 
“What was that?” Sango said, ice lacing her voice, but warmth still in her eyes.
 
If the voice she had developed to affect him, and only him, had done it's job, it didn't show. “I don't see why you would want him to run off after her, either. Aren't you in love with him?”
 
Sango blushed lightly. Everyone they ran in to seemed to assume that! She wondered why… she had never really done anything particular to hint that she might have feelings in the slighest towards him…maybe it was because everyone else had been so well placed, aside from the two off them. Kirere was her faithful companion, Kagome loved Inuyasha, Shippo was Kagome's adopted son… but Sango and Miroku didn't really have a place. Sango shrugged off a laugh as she thought for a moment what everyone's expression would be if she told them who she was really in love with…
 
“Sango, why do you take this from him? You love him, and you've never let anyone walk all over you…” Inuyasha pointed out. Sango sent him one cool glare. Save for you she thought before she spoke, choosing her wording carefully.
 
“First off, Inuyasha, I think that this is something that they have to deal with together. Think about it. If Miroku is from the future, and it really isn't so hard to imagine, compared to some of the things we see everyday, don't you think that there are some future things that they may need to discuss?”
 
Inuyasha didn't answer. He wasn't exactly the smartest person in the world when it came to the opposite sex, but he knew enough that you were never, ever supposed to interrupt their rantings. “And secondly, Inuyasha, I can't seem to remember ever telling anyone that I was in love with houshi-sama. And you're not one to talk. You treat poor Kagome like she was dirt beneath your feet- worse! Something that you can't hate, so you don't even bother paying attention!”
 
Inuyasha glared at Sango, deciding that when th rant became too much abou thim, it was time to stop her. “She has no backbone! There is a diffrence in you two, you know! At least you have some strength in you!”
 
Sango's scowl was enough to send Shippo running and Kirere transforming. “You.. how dare you… how dare you insult Kagome like that, you stupid good for nothing mutt!” Sango's voice echoed through the woods and carried on to the village, where the villagers cocked their ears for a chance of gossip material. “YOU ARE NOTHING BUT A SPOILED LITTLE HALF BREED WHO WANTS ONE THING, THEN THE OTHER! WELL, I FOR ONE WONT STAND BY AND WATCH YOU HURT MY BEST FRIEND! SHE LOVES YOU, AND YOU DO NOTHING BUT TREAT HER LIKE SHIT!”
 
Inuyasha flinched. Sango almost never used curse words. Maybe he had gone a step too far. But still, there was something salvagable.
 
“She never said it to me, you know.”
 
Sango stopped, her glared lowering at the quiet level of his voice. “What?”
 
Inuyasha shrugged. “She never told me she loves me, and I never told her that. I told Kikyo that, and look where it got me. So, even if I did love her, which I'm not saying I do, I would never tell her. Love has a funny way of turning around and getting you right here.” Inuyasha lowered his shirt just enough to show Sango his one and only scar- a thin circle right through his chest- a scar left by a holy arrow.
 
Sango wanted to scream out what little right he had to insult love. She wanted to cry and hug him, telling him that there was still room left in this world for love, and she wanted to reach out to touch that scar, his reminder of his first love, his first true betrayal, and see if she could heal it or not.
 
But she turned and walked back towards the village, leaving Inuyasha to lick his own wounds.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Miroku wondered momentarily if Kagome had finally broken. She really had been through a lot. After all, being raised in a time period where time travel was seemingly impossible, and where demons didn't exist, he supposed that she had been taking it rather well. Too well, in his opinion. But finding out that Miroku, her all-time favorite leach, as she called him, was not only from the future, but from a farther time than her own, well, that had been a perfect example of a case of the straws on the camels back.
 
Of course, he hadn't expected her to try to drown herself.
 
Miroku lunged forward when Kagome stopped in front of the lake's edge and simply shoved her head under water. Gripping her strongly by the scruff of her shirt, he pulled her- none too gently- away from the lake's water and out of danger.
 
“Miroku-sama, what in the world was that for?” Kagome asked, hair dripping down in clumps partially over her eyes.
 
Miroku would have laughed, under any other circumstances. He would have laughed and fixed her hair with a brotherly indifference. But she had tried to kill herself- and then didn't even seem to realize the catastrophe she had barely managed to avoid. Had her mind cracked along with her spirit?
 
“What was that for? WHAT WAS THAT FOR? YOU TRY TO DROWN YOURSELF AND YOU ASK ME WHAT MY SAVING YOU WAS FOR??!!??!!” Miroku didn't even bother to conceal the anger that he had normally tried to keep hidden from the women of this time. But, then again, Kagome wasn't exactly of this time.
 
Kagome was shaking harder from the laughter than she was being shaken by Miroku- and he was shaking her pretty hard. Miroku backed away from her in fear. Maybe he had broken her. But even as he stepped a good five feet from her, she didn't stop laughing. “Miroku-sama, thank you very much for not shaking me any more. But I wasn't trying to kill myself… I was trying to wake myself up!”
 
Miroku resisted the urge to do a very comical face fault. “You were… trying to wake yourself up?” It made sense, in a Kagome sort of way. Still… “Why would you do that now, and not when you were first pulled in to the past?”
 
Kagome nodded, then touched her finger tips to her chin. “I guess in a way, I was sort was expecting for something… strange to happen then.” Kagome sat down, and Miroku, who took it as an indication that she wasn't done talking, simply thinking of her next words, did like wise.
 
“You.. were expecting something strange to happen to you?” Miroku asked her, his body moving closer to hers without him even being aware of it.
 
Kagome nodded, a far off expression on her face. “Yeah… I was pretty ordinary. I went to high school every day, passed every class, came home every night and looked after my little brother. I had great friends and a wonderful family. And nothing ever happened to me.”
 
Kagome tilted her head to one side, so that her face could receive more the the wind that had began to blow. Closing her eyes as she allowed the gentle wind to caress her face, she continued. “Every day it was the same routine. I would get bored a lot, but I had so many things going for me, I couldn't wallow in pity. Besides, my life may not have very interesting, but it was my life. And besides, it could have been a lot worse!” Kagome looked out over the lake water to where the sun was setting. “How's life in the future? Or are you allowed to tell me?”
Miroku sighed. “Well, you definately don't get to enjoy sight like this.” His face became deadly serious. “The sun doesn't shine anymore… the miasma in the sky is far to thick. When it rains, and it rains a lot, people die from the poisoned water.” Miroku trailed a finger in to the water and let it sit there, as if he were savoring the feel of it. “Water is a valuable commidity in the future. Nobody has any to drink, to bath and all but the strongest are sick.” Miroku sighed, pulling his fingers out of the water and flicking them dry. “The strongest ones are trained to fight. The strongest of those go on to be trained to fight against Naraku. And then, once every ten years, one is chosen to be sent back in time to try and kill Naraku.” Miroku stopped talking then, his voice sounding as if he had stopped mid sentence.
 
“But… don't you get to choose? If you want to travel, I mean. If you want to even fight?”
 
Miroku shook his head. “What choice is there? Fight, be trained, fed, watered, and your family likewise, or be just another of the billions of people who wander around lifelessly and without any hope of survival. The babies are often slaughtered if they aren't strong, and the elders once they can't survive without help.” Though Miroku's eyes narrowed, showing he didn't believe in his time periods practices, he still continued on in its defense. “It really is more humane. It's hard enough then without age being a factor.”
 
Kagome sighed. “And I thought that this time is tough!”
 
Miroku laughed, a deep, hearty laugh, and Kagome felt a strange warmth spread through her stomach that felt suspiciously like pride… pride that she had caused the monk with such a grim future to laugh.
 
Miroku patted her on the head, an entirely brotherly pat before he leaned her against his chest. “Oh, Kagome-sama… you and I are knidered spirits!”
 
Kagome looked up at him, and Miroku chuckled. He could just imagine little cat ears tilting to one side in wonder. “How do you figure?”
 
Miroku shrugged. “Well, we are the only people here who know the wonders of…” Miroku pulled a thin black flip-phone out of his sleeve, “cell phones!”
 
Kagome giggled and reached for it. “I don't get it, Miroku. How in the world did this work in the past?” Kagome asked, staring at her Motorola as if it would jump out of her hands ad begin to tap-dance.
 
Miroku dug through his pockets, biting his tongue in a rather comical fashion before he pulled out a two inch by two inch black box. Kagome stared at it. Whatever it was. It was blinking brightly, though there were no lights on it. “Miroku…” Kagome began.
 
“This, Kagome-sama, is the universal adapter. It works in any time period, and on any planet. All you have to do is have the item you want to work within five hundred feet and it will charge it and allow it to work.”
 
Kagome stared in awe. “You mean to tell me… it works with anything?” Miroku nodded. “oh…” Then Kagome thought about it a little more. “Hey, that still doesn't explain why you got a phone call on my cell phone.”
 
Miroku sighed and pulled out a super thin phone. Kagome gaped. “It looks like a credit card!
 
“It's my cell phone.” Miroku said as he showed her all sides of it. “What did you expect? After your time period, they started to go back downhill when it came to communication. Think about it. First came mail, and that was pretty damn impressive, then came morse code, which really threw everyone through a loop, then the regular phone, which, come one, it was like a revolution! Then a really big cell phone, which was awesome, then we started to go back downhill. Email was a little like morse code… you have to type out whatever you want to say. And text messaging was really like morse code, because you had to search for all of the little keys and type them in order.”
 
Kagome nodded, surprised that those words actually made sense to her. “So… what you're saying is that in eight hundred years, all scientiest have been able to do via communication is…”
 
Miroku nodded twice. “Make cell phones smaller… that's it!” Miroku shook his head with a slight chuckle. “Now, pay close attention, This is to complex to explain more than once. In the future, they have a device that can search for any cell phone in any time period.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Okay, that sounds a lot like a global positioning satelite.”
 
Miroku nodded. “Yeah, well that was the base for it. But they can only track the cell phone and call it when it's on.” Miroku pushed a button and shook his head twice, chuckling. “You're gonna love this.”
 
Kagome screeched and jumped back when a petite woman appeared over the cell phone. She looked a lot like…
 
“Good day, Miroku-sama.” A tiny version of Kagome told him with a bow.
 
Kagome gaped. “You… you… how did you do that?” Kagome asked, to excited to be happy.
 
“I made my greeting you a while ago. Sort of a joke, actually. Since we're both time travelers and all.”
 
“But… how?” Kagome asked, reaching for it.
 
But Miroku shook his head. “Kagome-sama, this is my cell phone. Please don't touch it with out my permission.”
 
Kagome scoffed and crossed her arms. “You sound like my brother…”
Miroku shrugged. “You can insult me all you want, but you stil aren't going to mess around with my cell phone. Now, if you want to place a greeting, all you have to do is press it against your forehead.” He did so to Kagome then. “And think of what you want to have your greeting say or do.”
 
Kagome thought really hard about what she wanted before a lightbulb suddenly went off in her head. “Okay, now what?”
 
“You pull it away and press this button” He indidcated to a button that read confirm. Kagome pushed it and up popped a picture…
 
…of Miroku.
 
Miroku stared at it dumbfoundedly. It was perfect! Most of the time, details were missing when the person thinking couldn't recall them. But every detail was there. Six rings on his staff… five earrings… and the beads were wrapped just right around his arm. But there was one extra detail…
 
“Kagome, why am I wearing prayer beads?”
 
Kagome giggled. “Keep watching…”
 
“SIT!” Miroku flinched. In the distance, Inuyasha crashed to the ground. And in the image, mini-Miroku fell flat on his ass.
 
Kagome fell back, holding her side together as she laughed and laughed. Inuyasha cursed Kagome from a distance. And Miroku, well, Miroku glared.
 
“Alright then.” Miroku pressed it against his forehead, then pulled it away and pressed confirmed and…
 
Kagome saw a naked version of herself.
 
“Oh Miroku-sama…” The mini-Kagome moaned as she touched herself.
 
“I would never do that!” Kagome wailed as she covered “herself” up. “Change it now!”
 
Miroku sighed. “As you wish, Kagome-chan.” Kagome felt the heat on her cheeks rise at the sudden endearment. Miroku had never… he had never referred to any of them with such… familiarness. It was new, and different, and strange.
 
And Kagome liked it.
 
She smiled at Miroku with a new warmth in her eyes. “Miroku…” she said, the smile on her face reaching nearly to her eyes. Miroku turned around and saw her like that, smiling at him, with the sun setting at her back, and he felt his breath pulled from his body. That was… Kagome never smiled like that… not at him. Maybw at Inuyasha, though he hadn't ever seen it, and Sango, of course, and Shippo when he did something absolutely adorable. But she had never given him that smile. It was new, and different, and strange.
 
And Miroku liked it a lot.
 
Kagome shook her head, and with a kind of bitter sweetness, Miroku knew the moment was gone. “So… you say that that unverisal adapter thingy works with anything from any time period in any other time period?”
 
Miroku nodded, suddenly wary of Kagome's expression. “What exactly did you have in mind?”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Later that evening, Kagome moaned deeply as she bite in to her hot pocket. “Thank you, Miroku-sama.”
 
Miroku looked up at her over a mouthful of Hot Pocket. “Whatever for, Kagome-san?”
 
Inuyasha wailed something along the lines of “the ramen had better be done when I get there or else” and Kagoem pushed more buttons. “Why, if it wasn't for you and that wonderful adaptor, we'd never be able to have a microwave in the feudal era!”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl-
 
So, that's chapter two. Sorry it took so long… I had finals! This year I have mostly academic classes, but next year I'll have four classes to choose for myself, and then I'll update faster!
 
Maybe…
 
If I can't get in to physics or chemistry…
 
Or…
 
You know what, I'll just do my best to update sooner, ni?
 
Okay, that's all for now!
 
 
-Anonymous Fangirl