InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Once upon a cell phone
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Kagome brings a cell phone to the past… and it WORKS?!?! What's that got to do with our favorite monk? Miroku/ Kagome; Inuyasha/ Sango
 
Disclaimer:
 
Fangirl: Kristie, do I look Japenese?
 
Kristie: I think I'm turning japenese ya-ya I think I'm turning japenese ya-ya I think I'm turning japenese ya-ya
 
Fangirl: Okay, I don't think I'm Rumiko Takahashi, but I do think that Kristie is going a little coo-coo.
 
Kristie: Hey! You better not post that!
 
Fangirl: *shifty eyes * I won't post it * crosses fingers *
 
 
Etc: Wanna see a preview of another story I'm working on? Really wanna see it? Really REALLY wanna see it? Okay! Sneel preview at the bottom!
 
 
Also notice the dedication to Meijer Brand. Thanks for the cookie, here's a jingly-bell thing for christmas!
 
 
Chapter Three
 
 
 
Kagome couldn't believe how her luck had changed. A week ago, she would have been complaining about the poor weather feudal Japan couldn't seem to shake. But then again, a week ago, she couldn't stop and have hot cocoa whenever she wanted.
 
Sure, it took some seriousconvincing to get Inuyasha to lug the microwave around Japan while she helped him track down those god damned jewel shards, but it only took a little gentle coaxing (SIT! Sit, sit,sit, sit, sit, sit, SIT!) and a few more minor debates (you BITCH) and only one cooking accident (“mama, how in the world do you work this thing?” “Shippo! Don't get that too close to the…” * zap * “EE-OW!” “…water”) before they were ready to go, Inuyasha with a rather large microwave tied beneath his haori to his back.
 
Kagome giggled as she held the umbrella over his head and… well, the microwave.
 
“What's so funny?” Inuyasha grumbled, mising a growl in to his words.
 
Kagome bite her bottom lip. She felt the tears threatening to overflow… she just… had to… laugh… After all, Inuyasha did look a bit like the short guy from the hunchback of notre dame right now, except for… taller and… redder…
 
Miroku caught sight of her current predicament… not so hard, as he had been debating on whether or not he could keep his head if he burst out laughing, and he decided to help.
 
And what better way than…
 
“oh look! A village!” Miroku said as he pointed ahead. Kagome giggled and skirted around Inuyasha to get a better view. A village! Yes! Score one for the shikon seekers. This meant that they wouldn't have to spend the night out in the pouring rain!
 
“I sense an omnious cloud looming over this village…” Miroku said, his face suddenly very sobber.
 
Sango scoffed in a very Inuyasha like fashion. “I'm sure you do, you vile monk.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. “Aren't you suppose to be the next Buddha? What do you think you're doing, lying to every village we come across. An omnious cloud. Ha! Sango, how many villages have we stayed in in the past month?”
Sango smirked. “I couldn't count it on both hands.”
 
“And how many of them had an actual omnious cloud looming over them?”
 
Sango raised her hand. “Oh! Oh! I know!”
Inuyasha smirked. “Yes, Sango-san?”
 
“None!”
“That's right. Do you know why, Sango-san?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Sit!” they heard someone call in the distance. When Inuyasha and Sango looked up, they were surprised to see that Shippo, Miroku, and Kagome were already halfway to the village by now. “Since you two have such strong objections with staying in a village, you don't have to come!” Kagome gestured next to Inuyasha. “I left blankets and food that you can put in the microwave!”
 
Miroku nodded and waved a hand. “And if you guys stay within five hundred feet of the village, you can actually use the microwave!”
 
Shippo simply stuck out his tongue.
 
And Sango and Inuyasha, both soaked to the bone and throughly chastised, spent the night under the stars, Or what would have been stars, if the rain had ever let up.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome sighed as she let the hot water of the under ground hot spring seep over her. How rich this village must be to keep everything so beautiful down here! Kagome thought as she paddled along, the water reaching to her breasts even when she stood at her full height.
 
She was truly surprised! Most villages they came across barely had enough money to feed the hungry, but this one had enough money to have a furnished private bath reserved only for holy people!
 
Kagome was beginning to think that maybe being a miko wasn't such a half bad thing after all. It had saved her life on more than one occasion (of course, it had gotten her in to trouble on even more occassions, but Kagome was in the mood to be grateful now, so she didn't linger on that too much), and now it had provided her with a warm bath.
 
Life was good!
 
But Kagome sighed. If only they would have allowed Shippo to come in with her…
 
No, it had to be a place where only the pure walked and bathed. No one, not even a human, was allowed to enter the inner chambers of the bath house. But Shippo hadn't been too overly concerned about it. He had just waved his hand and informed her that he was going to go and check on Sango and Inuyasha while she had a few minutes to bathe to herself.
 
Kagome sighed as she took long, deep strokes over the water. She was definitely going to take her time, she thought as she moaned when the last of the unwanted kinks had been washed away with the scented water.
 
Kagome washed herself systematically from her feet up in the shallowest of the water, which reached only to her mid drift when she stood tall. Looking at the high ceiling, she noticed deep gauges carved in thick, as if they had been carved out with claws. But looking around, she saw all off the walls held similar markings. She shook her head. Must've been some design or something… she thought as she stood waded to the door, which the bath attendants had closed to allow her privacy. She reached to a high rock where thin, lacy pink robes lay and she wrapped them around herself, appaled that they showed more than they covered. But she sighed. If she was a miko, she had to wear the proper clothing when she came out of a ceremonial bath.
 
She giggled. She had never been treated so wonderfully before! Sango was going to be so jealous! Then she wouldn't tease Miroku about his methods of getting them rooms anymore, Kagome thought with a sure jerk of her head.
 
She wrapped the brazen clothe around herself and reached for the door handles, but her happiness faded in to fear when she realized that she had been locked inside.
 
She was in such a shock that she didn't even notice when a dark outline cut through the water silently behind her.
 
 
 
 
 
 
It had taken less coaxing than Miroku was used to to get the two of them a room for the evening. He hadn't even finished his speech before they were ushered in to a free room at the local inn, absolutely free of charge. And all he had managed to get to was.
 
“We are but a poor traveling monk and miko, along with our demon adopted son, and we happened to notice that there is a particularly…”
 
And they had a fully stocked room.
 
Something seemed horribly amiss.
 
Horribly, horribly amiss.
 
Like the fact that he was sitting here eating.
 
Alone.
 
Where had Kagome and Shippo run off to? He shrugged as he took a long swig of tea. What did it matter where they had gone to? They'd be back soon. It wasn't as if there was an actual, here he took another swig of tea, omnious cloud drifting just above their heads!
 
Miroku cocked his ear to one side as he heard a small group of women beneath his window talking in hushed tones.
 
“Did you hear the news?” One girl, obviously the oldest, asked the other three.
 
“What news?” They asked so simulteneously that Miroku almost asked them if that was a practiced motion.
 
Miroku touched his fingers to his eyes. Why was it the world suddenly seemed blurry?
 
“The elders finally caught a miko and a monk!” The eldest girl squeeled.
 
The other three gasped. “But that means…”
 
“That we can finally…”
 
“Perform the sacraficial rites of the dragon goddess!”
 
That doesn't sound good… Miroku thought as he continued to eavesdrop.
 
“Well, where are they now?” A short haired one asked.
 
The eldest nodded towards a cave not far from the hut. “The miko, I think her name is Kagome, is taking a bath in the dragon's chamber now. Once Eiria sees her, she'll gobble her right up and then we won't have to worry about our crops anymore!”
 
“But what about the monk?” Another asked.
 
The eldest shrugged. “He's a man. The elders are simply going to tell him that the miko is waiting for him in the inner bathing house. What do you think he's going to do?”
 
Get Kagome the hell out of danger! Miroku thought as he tried to stand, but couldn't. His knees simply refused to obey him.
 
Miroku looked down at them and gave them a chastising flick of his finger. “No, no, no, little knees. We've got to go and save Kagome. She has a way of getting in to such trouble that only other people can get her out of! And if there really is a dragon, she may be eaten! This is no time to be resting.” Miroku's words were heavily slurred and he realized, with as much disdain for himself as the villagers, that he had been drugged. He shook his head. How ironic. The first time he had ever taken in enough of anything to have his witsdulled and the stupid villagers didn't even have the decency to let him enjoy it with out worrying about his fellow time traveler.
 
He looked up, eyes glazed thickly. Why was he worried about her again?
 
While Miroku was trying to figure out why in the world he was so worked up about Kagome, he heard a knock at the door. He made a small sound of compliance that had the elders entering.
 
“Excuse us, lord monk, but the Lady Kagome requested your presence in the inner bath house.” When Miroku's eyes flashed brillanlantly, the elder grew more wary. “She awaits you there now, lord monk.” He gave Miroku one quick wink before he ushered him outside.
 
With two men helping to keep him steady, warning bells rang in Miroku's head. Something here was wrong! Even through his hazed confusion, he knew that something wasn't right.
 
Kagome! As Miroku drew nearer and nearer to the bathhouse, her name grew louder and louder in his head, as if repeating her name could somehow help him get through whatever was awaiting him on the otherside of the bathhouse doors.
 
Miroku heard the muffled scream of a girl and he paled. The chanting in his head grew louder and louder, until…
 
“You'll see her in just a minute, Lord monk.” The elder informed him as he motioned for the bath house attendants to bring him some robes. Miroku shook his head as they began to strip him.
 
“Kago…me.” Whispering her name was difficult… his throat seemed to fail him now along with his knees.
 
“Come on now, lord monk, theinner bath house awaits.” One particularly beautiful young maiden said as she ceremoniously slipped open the heavy rock doors with as much grace and ease as if she were opening the doors of a tea house.
 
Miroku wanted to fight- every instinct told him that he should. There was danger in there… danger and trouble. He knew, with out a shout of a doubt, that if he went in there, he may not come back out.
 
“Your lady miko awaits you, lord monk.” Another woman whispered to him. She was closer than he had expected, her lips grazing his ear as she spoke to him.
 
“Kagome…” Miroku whispered once more, debating whethere he should go after her or not. Angry red eyes seemed to be glaring at him, taunting him. She's in there now…
 
“Yes, lord monk, and she must grow weary of waiting for you.”
 
Miroku cursed himself eloquently. Since when had he not been in complete control of what words passed his lips?
 
A girl giggled. “We all have that problem sometimes, lord monk. Do you wish to see your lady?”
 
Oh god in heaven, yes.
 
“She's right through these doors.” The girl's voice was laced heavy with innundoe, and Miroku felt his knees moving of their own accord.
 
Kagome, Kagome, SAVE KAGOME!
 
Even later, Miroku couldn't be sure if he had said the finally two words out loud, but he did know that as soon as he stumbled blindly foreward in to the water, the door had snapped shut behind him like the trap he knew it to be
 
 
 
 
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl-
 
Actually, this and the next two chapters were orignally only one chapter, but it was just so long I decided to break it in to three chapters. All will be resolved by chapter six, though, I promise you. And as for that pretty little sneak preview… well, here it is!
 
 
 
 
…AND TIME GOES BY
 
Anonymous Fangirl
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It would have made more sense to anyone if Kagome Higurashi had been frightened when she came back home one day after an argument with Inuyasha and he was waiting for her. But somehow, she had always known that something, anything would have happened on this side of the well that would officially prove that she was in deed losing her mind.
 
Sesshoumaru hauling her ass out of the well was a good enough sign that her already fragmented mind had finally cracked under the pressure of traveling back and forth through the times.
 
“How long have you been traveling back in time, Kagome?” Sesshoumaru demanded in a voice that Kagome had long since come to expect from him. Icy and just a bit mean. But Kagome was stunned.
 
“When did you learn my name?” Kagome asked, looking slightly funny dangling by the strap of her yellow back pack that was hooked under his right index finger. Kagome wasn't really all that surprised that he could hold her entire body weight up with one finger- after all, he could transform in to a giant dog demon whenever he saw fit.
 
Kagome saw a flash of relief in his eyes, but she was sure that she had imagined it. After all, this was the ice prince.
 
“So you know who I am already?” He asked, icy faquade already back in place. However, now his voice held… Kagome wasn't sure what had changed. Maybe it was his voice, maybe it was his demenor. But somehow, he seemed the world less like a demon lord and more like… a human.
 
Kagome shuddered at the thought.
 
“Sesshoumaru, lord of the western lands. We meet last week.” Kagome said. She shuddered again. She still had burn marks from their encounter last week.
 
Sesshoumaru flinch visibly, and Kagome feared for a second that he was going to drop her. “You mean… you just started to travel back and forth through the well?” A look of confusion passed over Sesshoumaru's face. “You haven't…”
 
From what Kagome knew of Sesshoumaru, he was a heartless demon who cared not for anyone but himself. Yet, this Sesshoumaru seemed… Kagome wanted to say weak, but that word didn't suit him at all, even when he was looking at her as if he was about to cry.
 
“I haven't what, Sesshoumaru?” Kagome asked. Sesshoumaru shook his head and set her down on the lip of the well. Kagome was grateful, because after the look of longing, and there was no other word for it, Kagome didn't really trust her knees.
 
Sesshoumaru sat down beside her and was silent for a minute, as if trying to decieper something important. “You say you met me last week?” Sesshoumaru asked, the tumblers in his head were moving like clockwork.
 
Kagome nodded once, afraid to speak. Her she was, sitting in her well house with a man who had tried to kill her not a week ago!
 
Well, she supposed that it had been roughly five hundred years and a week, but it still gave her one hell of a headache!
 
Suddenly things fell in to place in Kagome's head. “Wait a minute… how do you know my name?”
 
Sesshoumaru pointedly ignored her.
 
“Sesshoumaru!” Kagome's confused smile turned in to an icy glare. “Answer me! How do you know my name? Inuyasha never told you…”
 
At the name, Sesshoumaru flinched. His eyes turned bloodshot, and Kagome was suddenly very afraid that she had said too much. His fangs lengthed, but only for a heart beat, and then the air around her settled as if it was the end of a thunder storm and he was once again passive.
 
Kagome suddenly felt a strong pressure on her hand, and when she looked down she was surprised to see Sesshoumaru holding it.
 
“Please, Kagome-sama, please don't ever say his name in my presense.” Sesshoumaru said, anger obviously being held on a tight chain.
 
Kagome wanted to faint. That would have been the ultra feminine thing to do. She ought to faint from shock. Her ally- if you could call Inuyasha that- brother, who had tried to kill her a week ago- err… sort of- was sitting in her well house holding her hand!
 
Totally unexpected!
 
“Sesshoumaru, what's going on here?” Kagome asked. “Did something happen in the past?”
 
Sesshoumaru turned to her suddenly, growling as he did so. “I command you, as lord of the western lands, that you shall travel back there only with me.”
 
Kagome knew she was dreaming now, so there was no real reason for her to be afraid anymore. After all, dreams couldn't hurt you.
 
“Okay then.” Kagome said, standing up. “I obviously ate too much ramen, or was bitten by some strange disease carrying bug in the middle ages, or maybe it was heat stroke. Yes, I knew I shouldn't have worn long sleeves.” Sleeves she stared at disdainfully. Then she turned back to Sesshoumaru. “Listen, Sesshou, it's been real, but I have to go and lay down now. The sooner I get to sleep, the sooner I'll wake up and realize that it was all just some ramen induced nightmare.”
 
Sesshoumaru didn't know what to do. “Did you hear me? You are not to go back there without me!”
 
Kagome giggled. She walked up to him then, and touched his cheeks. He was entirely futuristic right now. There were no lovely markings, no stripes, no- no nothing. His hair was shorter, that she had noticed right away. And his tail, or boa, or whatever the hell that thing was, was gone. In place of his battle armor, he wore jeans and a tee shirt, which was covered in a thick black leather biker jacket that he supposed struck fear in to all who saw it. Kagome giggled again. It probably did.
 
“This has happened to me before, you know. Ramen induced hallucinations. Last time, I swear I saw someone jumping from the rooftops. It was rather odd.”
 
Sesshoumaru stared at her as if she had lost her mind. Kagome shrugged mentally. Maybe she had lost her mind. And maybe, Kagome thought, maybe for once it doesn't matter.