InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Once Upon a Cell Phone ❯ Chapter Four ( Chapter 4 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Once upon a cell phone
 
Author: Anonymous Fangirl
 
Summary: Kagome brings a cell phone to the past… AND IT WORKS?!?!? What's all this got to do with our favorite monk? Kag/Mir Inu/San
 
Etc: This chapter will seriously promote the whole Mir/Kag. My beta reader told me she only sensed friendship between the two, but this chapter totally opens up everything. However, since I plan on having this story last for a little while, it will not end any time soon, therefore, tee hee… I GET TO BE AN EVIL AUTHOR AND DRAG THE RELATIONSHIP ON AND ON WITH NO SIGN OF AN END! (Sorry… I'm in a bad mood today… my mom is a… well, since she reads my work, I'll leave it at that, but I think you've got the point. But this is the perfect mood for writing!)
 
Disclaimer: When was the last time you saw a five-foot-six old asian lady?
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Four
 
 
 
Miroku sighed as he began to accept the envitable. He was going to die. And not even one of the two honorable and noble deaths he had planned for himself!
 
The first, if he couldn't defeat Naraku, and as every day went on, it was becoming more and more obvious that Miroku would not survive the curse Naraku had placed upon him, the wind tunnel would rip and tear at him while he suffered through one last dinner, then excused himself and walked quietly away from everyone and everything he cared about so that they would not be swallowed along with him. And he would just disappear from their lives.
 
Of course, if he did manage to survive the hell-hole, he planned on dying a long, long time in the future, with his children and grandchildren, all kazaana-free, sitting around his bed as he took his last few breaths.
 
Sure, planning your death could be considered slightly depressing, and a little ironic, but Miroku did not plan on dying, wading through deep, warm waters to rescue someone else's woman, killed by some unknown enemy he knew to be stalking him just beneath the surface of the water.
 
But grumbling would get him no where, he knew, and he continued to search the waters for his time traveling companion.
 
“Kagome? Kagome, where are you?” Miroku inquired softly, frightened but not surprised when he received no answer.
 
Was she alive? Had she already been hurt? Was she hiding from something and couldn't make a noise for fear of giving away her hiding spot?
 
Miroku became more frantic in his search “Kagome! Kagome, please, answer me! Kagome!”
 
Miroku was scanning the water before him and would have never seen it coming. He would have been pulled under water by the dragon and not even had a moment to be afraid before he was swallowed whole. The dragon was deadly silent in the water, like an arrow seeking it's target. If it was not for Kagome, who let out a shrill “MIROKU-SAMA! GET OUT OF THE WATER NOW!,” Miroku would have met his death before ever having the opportunity to know that death was upon him.
 
But Miroku had complete faith in Kagome, and as soon as he heard her cry, he leapt out of the water and to the sound of her voice, which was somewhere near his left. Reaching out, his fingertips grazed a small rock formation. Realization hit that this was where Kagome was hiding, and as he searched blindly and quickly for something, anything to pull him up, he felt her hand close around his as the sound of water lapping against rocks- a sound that he hadn't caused, alerted him. He looked down and was surprised to see red eyes that seemed to glow from within glare at him with a silent promise of retribution for escaping her wrath.
“I've got you!” Kagome whispered assuringly, so much in contrast to the evil he felt coming off of the owner of the eyes, as she lead his fingers, still touching the rocks, until they touched what felt like a shallow engravement, like claw marks carved deep in the stone.
 
Miroku didn't take the time to examine what they were, he just used them to climb nimbly up to where Kagome was hiding. There wasn't much space; in order for them both to fit, Kagome had to press her body between the rock wall and Miroku's, but thankfully, there seemed to be a break in the rocks a few yards behind them, giving off just enough light for Miroku to see the fear on Kagome's face.
 
Kagome reached up and cupped Miroku's face with her hands before leaning her forehead to his. “Miroku-sama! You're alive! We're alive! And you're here! That means we'll be okay!” Kagome's voice sounded more than a little desperate. It trembled so much it reminded Miroku of the sound of broken gravel being crushed beneath a foot.
 
“Kagome? Are you alright?” Miroku asked, searching her body for any signs of injury, trying his damndest to ignore the fact that the only thing covering her was the thin pink lace of ceremonial bath robes. Thankfully, the fact that the robes were see-through made it even easier to check her for any unslightly markings.
 
Kagome nodded her head five times in quick succession, performing her own adminitrations on Miroku as well. It was easier for her to ignore his obvious nudity- after all, she was sure she had to be asleep.
 
It was easy to pretend that Kagome was fully clothed- after all, if he shut his eyes, all he could see her in was that wonderfully short kimono she insisted on wearing from her time. What wasn't so easy for him was to ignore the sigh of relief that passed from her lips to his when she finished checking him for wounds.
 
She had been worried about him! Miroku thought with a sort of smug attitude. A voice in his head was screaming see! Someone does care about me! Take that, Naraku!
 
His thoughts were interrupted when he felt her cheek, which was pressed against his, soften with tears. “Kagome, what's wrong?” He asked, wrapping his arms around her and pressing her closer against the wall.
“I thought she got you!” Kagome hiccuped loudly as she held Miroku closer to her- if that was possible.
 
Miroku wondered for a second what that tone in her voice was before it struck him- it was concern. Genuine, unjudgemental, uncalled-for concern. Brows pulled tightly together in a frown, Miroku tried to remember the last time someone's voice had held concern for him, and was surprised when no one's face appeared in his mind's eye.
 
“Kagome… I'm fine.” Miroku assured her as he allowed himself to take in a deep breath of her air, just to assure himself that she was fine. All of a sudden, a low growl rumbled through the bath chamber.
 
“What is that?” Miroku asked, still partially unaware of everything… an obvious side-effect of some drug that the villagers must have slipped him. He shook his head as he remembered that he had already figured that out… what else was he not remembering!? Something important… something that had triggered him to search and save Kagome… he had an argument with his knees…
 
“It's a dragon, Miroku-sama.” Kagome said, trembling more as she spoke. “But I've never seen a dragon like this one. It's evil, Miroku, much more evil than one creature should be. It radiates the same level of maleviolence as Naraku.
 
“She is a dragon goddess.” Miroku explained, not knowing where he had received his information from. But he knew he was right. “Gods and goddesses are not from the same plane as we are, Kagome. They experience things in much greater emotions. Love, life, happiness… if we experience them as they did, our bodies would cease to function properly. But those are just the good emotions. Wars, violence, hatred- all of the worst come from gods and goddesses. One spark of anger from one is enough to sen dour world in to the dark ages.”
 
“Why would the goddess be anger at us, Miroku-sama?” Kagoem asked, her voice cracking as she spoke. “We didn't do anything!”
 
Miroku shook his head. “She can't be angry at us… she would have killed us by now if she was. But something doesn't seem right. She doesn't like that we're here, but she won't go out of her way to harm us…”
 
Something was amiss, Miroku knew, and he didn't like the fact that he didn't know what.
 
Kagome sighed, released Miroku's neck, and leaned back against the cool walls of the bath house. She looked up at the high ceiling. So those marks were made from claws then!
 
Miroku pressed himself against the opposite wall, doing his best not to look at Kagome's barely clothed body. After all, he couldn't do anything to her. She belonged to Inuyasha, despite what anyone would say.
 
“Miroku?” He nearly jumped when he heard her voice. Was it just him, or was it… softer than usual?
 
“Yes, Kagome?” Miroku asked, forgetting to add the ever formal “sama” at the end. He wondered for a moment when he stopped calling her “Lady Kagome,” but he couldn't place the time.
 
“Does it ever hurt?” Kagome asked, looking pointedly away.
 
Miroku was stunned. “Does what ever hurt, Kagome?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “Nothing! It's a stupid question. It's really none of my business, after all, and it really isn't all that important anyway…”
 
Miroku leaned forward just a little bit- with such small quarters, a little bit more and he would have been on top of her- and held his right index finger to her lips. “Does what ever hurt, Kagome?” He repeated the question in a soft voice, giving her permission to fire away.
 
Kagome stared at his finger tips, which were still touching her lips. Miroku never touched anyone unless it was necessary - or unless he had some other agenda planned, such as copping a feel, which Kagome wasn't sure how she would react to, considering that she was naked and all.
 
But he was touching her now, and soothing her as the sat above the waters that held the being that would most likely take their lives.
 
“Does… the kazaana ever hurt you, Miroku?” Kagome asked, her lips barely moving at all beneath his finger tip.
 
What ever Miroku had been expecting, it hadn't been this.
 
“Kagome, why would you ask something like that?” Miroku asked, leaning in closer to her… closer… closer…
 
Kagome shrugged, suddenly very heated up despite the firgid cold of the air around them. “Well… I was thinking about it… death, I mean, and I wondered if it would, you know, hurt.”
 
Of course it would, Miroku knew. Even now, laying passively beneath the clothe around his arm, it was slowly eating away at him. It was hell- pure and simple. He knew, as his father and grandfather before him, what it would be like to be swallowed in to that hole. It would rip him to pieces. The wind would howl at him- he knew it would. It would howl manically, not so different from the sound of Naraku's laughter, it would burn him as it tore him limb from limb. And he would live inside it, that black hole to hell, and feel the pain for all eternity.
 
“No Kagome. It doesn't hurt.” Miroku lied so easily he almost believed it. But it was more than obvious that Kagome didn't.
 
“It hurts me sometimes.” Kagome said as she held the hand up to her own, the palms facing eachother. Miroku flinched visably, and tried to pull his palm away from hers, but Kagome merely held it in place with her other hand. “Please Miroku.” Kagome whispered so pleadingly that he had no choice but to allow her to touch the one place no one else would ever be allowed.
 
“How does it hurt you, Kagome?” Miroku asked, curious.
 
Kagome's eyes didn't shed tears, but he had the distinct feeling she was crying inside. “It hurts me when I get to near to it. It feels like… well, hell.”
 
Miroku tried to pull his hand away once more, but Kagome held it firmly in place. Slowly she dropped the hand holding his and just let the palms sit together.
 
“When you saved me from the demon the other day at the well, it felt like hell. I was so sure that I heard a voice, too.”
 
Miroku wanted to pull his hand away. He really, really did. Everytime he told himself that, it became less and less of the truth. “What did it tell you, Kagome?”
 
“Come to me, my child. Let me hold you. Let me rip you to pieces. Let me drink your blood, and eat your flesh. When we are done, I will draw you a bath from your own blood, and hold your head under while I bath you.” Kagome said so solemnly that Miroku felt something deep within him stir. It wasn't anger, no, he had long since come to recognize that whenever he felt it, nor was it the need to protect that he got whenever he was anywhere near Kagome. No, it felt suspiciously…
 
…like fear.
 
“Kagome…” Miroku whispered.
 
“Do you know who said it to me, Miroku? Do you know who would want to do something so cruel?” Kagome asked, already knowing the answer.
 
“Yes.” Miroku said as he allowed his hand to slip away from hers.
 
“I'm not afraid, you know.” Kagome's voice sounded so suddenly assured that he was sure that she wasn't.
 
“What is it you aren't afraid of?” Miroku asked, surpressing the strange need to chuckle.
 
“I'm not afraid to die.” Kagome said, her voice betraying her this time.
 
Miroku shook his head as he leaned back against the wall behind him. “And why is that, Kagome?”
 
Kagome shrugged, wrapping her thin robes tighter around her. “Why should I be afraid of what I don't know? Everything else dies… it's just a matter of time.” Kagome glared at him softly, as if challenging him. “You aren't afraid, are you?”
 
Miroku nodded twice. “Yes, Kagome. I am very afraid. I am afraid every day that this might be the day that I die, and every night I am afriad that the wind tunnel may finally collapse while I am asleep. Then, not only would I die, but so would everyone else near me.”
 
Kagome let out a deep breath of relief. “I'm so glad, Miroku.”
 
Miroku turned his head slowly towards her. “Why is that, Kagome?”
 
“I thought that I was all alone.”
 
Both stared at each other for some time as the dragon swam back and forth in the water below.
 
Kagome was the first to acknowledge it. “Why is it you think it won't eat us?” Kagome asked.
 
“I have a vague idea. Gods and goddesses aren't allowed to eat monks or mikos… we were born to serve them, and the are indebted to us. As part of that creed, monks and mikos are protected by the gods. So, if she were to eat us, she would most likely die.”
 
Kagome nodded, trying to keep up. “Okay, so why would the villagers try to kill her? That doesn't make any sense.”
 
Miroku nodded. “Yes it does. She is a dragon goddess.”
 
Kagome cocked her head to one side, still not getting the point.
 
Miroku sighed. “If you plant the tooth of a dragon in a field, it will grow in to an undead warrior. Everything the warrior kills will in turn become another warrior. Every warrior that is struck down will turn back in to a tooth, and it can be planted again. It is a vicious cycle that can only be stopped by a god or goddess.”
 
Realization hit Kagome. “They could rule the world!”
 
Miroku nodded. “What do you want to bet that Naraku put the idea in to their heads?”
 
Kagome shivered. An undead army. They had to be stopped!
 
But how?
 
Kagome suddenly took one look at the waters below and made up her mind. “When do you think she last ate?” Kagome asked with a shaking voice and before Miroku could figure out what she meant to do, Kagome threw herself in to the deep waters without so much as catching her breath.
 
“KAGOME!” Miroku screamed as he jumped after her. He landed not a few seconds after her, and as soon as he found her, he secured his arms around her and kicked off of the ground.
 
“WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING, YOU STUPID, STUPID GIRL! THERE IS A DRAGON IN HERE, AND SHE…”
 
Kagome giggled shakingly as she was lifted in to the air by said dragon. Miroku, who was also being carried, held Kagome tightly against him. “She wouldn't hurt us. You told me that goddesses don't hurt mikos or monks. I trust you.”
 
Miroku turned towards her, suddenly feeling like his world was being shattered. I trust you. She couldn't have shocked him more if she had suddenly sprouted demon horns and punched him in the gut. I trust you When had someone ever told him that? I trust you The words wouldn't stop ringing in his head.
 
“Besides, Miroku, if she is on our side, and the villagers have been keeping her down here, starving her so that when they did manage to through in a holy person, then maybe… maybe we can help her.”
 
Miroku let his head slump down against Kagome's back and he sighed. She really had it all figured out. “I hope you're right, Kagome. I don't want to die.” As soon as the words left his lips, he realized how true they were. He didn't want to die. He wanted to grow old and live a long life and have children and…
 
Kagome must have turned around, because in the next moment, his head was being cradled to her naked chest as she stroked his head softly. “You aren't going to die, Miroku. Not for a long, long time.”
 
Miroku closed his eys and allowed her to stroke his hair lovingly. For right now, he wanted more than anything to believe her.
 
 
 
Anonymous Fangirl-
 
So… will you review? I think you will! All you have to do is copy this:
 
See! I reviewed!
 
 
Click down there (Look down now, it's a pretty icon that says “send review”)
 
Paste.
 
And send!
See? It really isn't that hard at all.
 
Simple really!