InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ First Contentment ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: They're still not mine T-T!

A/n: Okay… I'm not really sure whether or not I should have had Sesshoumaru train Kagome or not, but it would be kind of boring with just two characters, ne? Oh, don't worry, I haven't forgotten about Rin, but she is still where Sesshoumaru left her with Jaken (How do you spell his name?) and on her way home on foot. I've got the next few chapters all planned out. I just need to find the time to sit down and type them up. Life has been so hectic with school shopping and stuff! Well… enough of my annoying babbling and on to the fic ^_~.

'…' Indicates thoughts.

"…" Indicates words.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

Kagome sauntered down the hallway and eventually found herself in the dining room. Sesshoumaru was seated at the head of the table and there were several youkai occupying the seats to his left and right. Kagome instantly became self-conscious and began to smooth nonexistent wrinkles out of the kimono that had been provided for her. Sesshoumaru smelt her and motioned for her to take a seat. Kagome did as she was told.

"Your training will have to wait, Kagome. It seems I must entertain some guests who have arrived unannounced."

The other youkai, presumably lords and ladies, all stared at her incredulously before casting Sesshoumaru an inquiring stare. Sesshoumaru sensed the tension in the room, as well as Kagome's nervousness, and decided it best to introduce her to the others before they sought to devour the poor miko for her power.

"This is Kagome. She is a guest in my home and is to be treated with the respect of a demoness." One of the females glared angrily at Kagome. "That means that you may not kill her you bloodthirsty fiend! Keep you claws to yourself, Nika." Nika growled furiously at Kagome before she began to flirt with Sesshoumaru. Kagome was utterly appalled at the other woman's behavior and even more shocked that Sesshoumaru allowed her act to continue.

"Nika, get off my lap. I'm trying to eat," Sesshoumaru growled in an annoyed tone. Nika pouted.

"Why should I stop being affectionate with you? You never minded before that ningen wench showed up." The demoness turned her nose up at Kagome, who was scratching her head in utter confusion. Sesshoumaru growled angrily.

"Nika…" a youkai cut in. "Why don't you have some wine… it's a really good year. Nothing less is expected from Sesshoumaru-sama." His voice was overly cheerful. Nika frowned but complied. Sesshoumaru took the opportunity to introduce Kagome to his other guests.

"Kagome, this is Yukio, my cousin. He is a neko youkai and taiyoukai of the Eastern Lands," he explained, pointing to the youkai who had probably just saved Nika's life. His silky chestnut hair tumbled down his shoulders to his waist. His amber eyes had a cat-like look about them; the pupils were slits like a cat's. They leered dangerously at Kagome. They eyed her from head to toe and made her feel as if she wasn't wearing anything.

"The bitch on his lap is an inu youkai named Nika. She is Yukio and my cousin from some distant relative." Nika nodded disgustedly at Kagome before playing with Yukio once again.

"The youkai to you right is Katsuga, the taiyoukai of the south. He had a sociable personality. He is an old friend of my late father and when I say old, I mean it." The old coyote youkai shot Sesshoumaru a playful glare. Sesshoumaru smirked and continued. "The woman next to him is Katsuga's mate, Hana. She is the easiest to get along with of all my guests. She, unlike some people, actually has brains and decides to use them."

The woman smiled pleasantly at Kagome, blushing a little bit from the compliment she had been paid. Kagome blushed also. The woman was so beautiful! Hana had sakura pink hair that was done up in an intricate bun. Her eyes were like beautiful irises and her lashes were incredibly long. She was not young in appearance like Kagome, but still had a youthful air about her. She was clearly much younger that her mate.

"It's nice to meet you, Kagome-sama. You are very beautiful," came Hana's soft voice. It was firm, yet infinitely gentle. Kagome nodded to her warily as if searching for ulterior motives.

"What are you, Lady Hana?" Kagome asked bluntly. Hana laughed softly.

"I am a flower youkai. I can control the life and attributes of demonic and human plants. I can also create original plant-life to suit my purpose." Kagome smiled, now agreeing fully with Sesshoumaru about Hana. She was very agreeable and uplifting.

"Oh, Sesshy…" came Nika's overly flirtatious, shrill cry. Kagome spit out the food that had been in her mouth and grinned at Sesshoumaru ear-to-ear when she saw the look on his face. "Will you feed me? Come on! You know you want to. Here have a cherry…" Kagome turned to Hana once more, who was calmly smiling at the pair.

"Do they act this way a lot?" Kagome asked her new friend. Hana turned to her and nodded kindly.

"It's pretty obvious that they like each other. Sesshoumaru has always been like a younger brother to me and I know him pretty well. He has never allowed such impish behavior from anyone else. He is very easy on Nika, and she takes full advantage of it. It is very possible that they will end up as mates someday," Hana explained. Kagome glanced over at Sesshoumaru who was trying to pry Nika off his lap before staring at the flower mistress as if she was insane.

"Sesshoumaru likes her? Yeah right!" Kagome exclaimed. Hana frowned at the human.

'Can she really not see the affection between Nika and Sesshoumaru? He could easily shove the inu youkai away if he so desired, yet he allows her to remain like that. Humans can be so naïve!' Hana thought with a sigh.

Kagome had returned to watching Nika flirt with Sesshoumaru. She felt a strange tinge of pain in her chest as she recalled Hana's words. It is very possible that they will end up as mates someday. Kagome shook it off as hunger and indulger herself in the full plate before her. It did not go unnoticed by her that Yukio was watching her as if he was a predator and she was his prey. She looked up at the cat demon.

"Is there something I can do for you, Yukio-sama?" she inquired coldly, glaring at him in an annoyed fashion. Yukio merely feigned innocence.

"What ever do you mean, Kagome-sama? I was merely enjoying the view of your breasts- I mean, the pleasure of your company."

"Hentai… just like Miroku," she grumbled under her breath. Sesshoumaru stopped pushing Nika away and stared at Kagome. He had observed several times the inappropriate behavior of the houshi that traveled with Inuyasha and the others. He was furious that Yukio would act so despicably, although it didn't really surprise him. Yukio had always been a little twisted when it came to carnality or women.

He tried to suppress a growl when he saw the upset expression on Kagome's angelic face, but failed miserably.

'How dare Yukio treat Kagome in such an ungentlemanly manner?! Now she has remembered why she is here and what she has been through!' Everyone immediately froze and stared at the taiyoukai fearfully as he growled protectively at Yukio. The neko youkai paled and swallowed audibly.

"Don't you ever speak to Kagome in such an undignified manner again. Do you understand me, Yukio?" he demanded. Yukio nodded timidly. Sesshoumaru looked as if he was going to beat the poor youkai to a bloody pulp. Kagome found that, despite the fact that the guy was as bad as Miroku, she didn't want to see that.

"Sesshoumaru-sama, it's okay. Please, just forget it! I'm used to it anyway. Miroku was much worse than Yukio-sama!" she pleaded with him desperately. Sesshoumaru hesitated slightly, but then relaxed once more. The rest of the meal was eaten in silence.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

After breakfast was finished, everyone decided to take a walk in the gardens. Nika was still stuck to Sesshoumaru like glue, Yukio had continued to hit on Kagome despite Sesshoumaru's warning, and Kagome was chatting amiably with Hana and Katsuga and Hana while completely ignoring Yukio.

"I can't believe this place! It's so beautiful! I have never seen so many different types of flowers before!" Hana smiled at Kagome's childlike amazement.

"Well, then, Kagome-san, you should visit the gardens in our castle sometime. Hana has worked wonders in them. There are so many different types of plants there. You can come any time!" offered Kastuga. Kagome looked back at Sesshoumaru hopefully, knowing that he had been listening to their entire conversation instead of Nika's endless prattling and giggling.

"May I?" she asked. Sesshoumaru nodded without any hesitation. She smiled ecstatically and squealed in delight. "Doumo arigatou Sesshoumaru-sama!" Sesshoumaru nodded and averted his gaze to the flowers.

'She is just like Rin… so easy to please, doesn't ask for much, thinks of others first… she is a wonderful creature. Speaking of which, Rin and Jaken should arrive before nightfall. I will have to have the dinner table set Rin as well, for I am certain that she will want to spend time with Kagome and vice versa.' Sesshoumaru smirked at the mental picture of the two human girls chatting happily among a table of taiyoukai in the castle of the reputed "human-hating" Demon Lord of the Western Lands. 'I must be getting soft…'

Kagome slowed her pace and fell into step with Sesshoumaru, who appeared to be in his own world. She smiled at him.

'I wonder what he's thinking about,' she thought happily, ignoring the death glares she was receiving from Nika. "Ano… Sesshoumaru-sama?" Sesshoumaru snapped out of his thoughts and looked down at the smiling Kagome. She took that as a hint that he was listening and voiced her question.

"Where's Rin-chan?" Sesshoumaru paled slightly. All eyes were on him. Rin was currently only a rumor to the other taiyoukai. They had all believed it to be a false rumor at that, seeing as there was no little child clinging to him… but there was Kagome. They most likely believed her to be the reputed human ward of the Great Sesshoumaru. Kagome sensed his unease and immediately rebuked herself for being so indiscreet about Rin.

'Of course he tries to keep her a secret, baka! Why wouldn't he?! He's a taiyoukai who cares for a human child!' She heard Sesshoumaru sigh as he relented and gave her the information.

"I had left Rin with Jaken when I smelt you. I had no intention of taking you with me. She and Jaken will be home before this day is over," he murmured. Kagome's eyes widened in fear and fury.

"YOU LEFT HER WITH THAT STUPID TOAD?! HE CAN'T EVEN WALK TEN FEET WITHOUT FALLING ON HIS OWN FACE LET ALONE TAKE CARE OF A HUMAN CHILD!!!!!" she screeched, making all the youkai cover their ears. Kagome blushed. "Gomen ne."

"I left Rin with Jaken so that SHE would take care of HIM. Rin is perfectly capable of traveling on her own She lived that way for several years without me around." Kagome nodded in understanding.

"I get it now…"

<^> Meanwhile…<^>

"Achoo!" a toad demon sneezed and a human child giggled.

"Jaken-sama is getting sick from tripping over his own feet and falling in the swamp and staying wet! Jaken-sama is gonna get sick 'cause he is so clumsy!" Rin teased.

"Shut up you filthy, worthless brat!" squawked Jaken. Rin frowned at the toad.

"Rin will tell Sesshoumaru-sama that Jaken-sama said that and Sesshoumaru-sama will maim Jaken-sama and make Jaken-sama do anything Rin wants like eat flies and dirt!"

"N-no! You mustn't! I take it bake! You are such a precious child, Rin! I'm sorry! Really!" Jaken stuttered. Rin smiled.

"Okay, Rin forgives Jaken-sama!" Jaken let out a sigh of relief. "Rin will still tell Sesshoumaru-sama, though!" she cried happily and tackled the poor toad demon, who was in tears by that point.

<^> Later that evening…<^>

"SESSHOUMARU-SAMA!!!!! RIN IS HOME!!!!!!!" cried the small child while finding the taiyoukai, climbing onto his lap, and attaching herself to his waist. Sesshoumaru stared softly at the girl and pet her head while she babbled on and on about Jaken and flies and flowers and the trip home. Rin looked past Sesshoumaru's leg and saw Kagome sitting in a chair at the dinner table chatting with a youkai (a.k.a. Hana).

"KAGOME-NEECHAN!" she squealed and ran over to hug the older girl. Kagome looked at Rin and smiled as the child climbed onto her lap and hugged her. She returned the hug warmly.

"Hello Rin-chan, how are you doing? Was your trip okay? Was Jaken mean to you?" Rin gave her a toothless grin and began to retell the tale of her journey home.

"…And then Jaken said that Rin was a filthy worthless brat and Rin said that Sesshoumaru-sama would maim him unless he did what Rin asked and Rin said she would tell him to eat flies and dirt and Rin made Jaken carry Rin's flowers and Rin picked flowers for Sesshoumaru-sama but not neechan 'cause Rin didn't know that neechan would be here but Rin will pick flowers for neechan in the garden. Did Rin tell neechan that Rin's favorite flower was the daisy? Rin likes that flower 'cause there are lots of them in the fields where Rin goes to pick flowers when she travels. What kind does neechan like? Rin will get that kind for neechan!" Rin took a deep breath. Kagome giggled at the child's cuteness. She had noticed that Sesshoumaru had maimed Jaken shortly after the child began her rant, but paid him no mind.

"I like Tsubaki and Dahlia flowers. They are so colorful and the smell lovely." Rin frowned slightly.

"Rin has never seen either of those flowers Kagome-neechan. Rin can't pick them unless she knows what they look like," she mumbled sadly. Kagome smiled at the adorable child.

"Well, Rin-chan, I saw some in the garden earlier today. However, I think that they are much prettier in the ground where they can live and bloom until they wither away, don't you think? Why don't we just go see them together instead of you going alone to pick them? How about it?" Kagome offered kindly. Rin's sad expression disappeared and was immediately replaced with on of pure joy.

"Really? Sesshoumaru-sama too?" Rin asked hopefully. Kagome paled slightly, but didn't want Rin to be unhappy. She looked at Sesshoumaru as if to inquire, her eyes pleading with him not to destroy the child's high hopes. He nodded almost imperceptibly. Kagome smiled, relieved.

"Yes, Rin-chan. Sesshoumaru-sama will come too." Rin cheered happily.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

Dinner passed quickly and everyone soon after retired to their rooms. Kagome had tucked Rin in and decided to get some fresh air before going to bed.

She sat on the edge of her balcony and began to reflect on the events of the passed day.

'All in all, today has been a pretty wonderful day. I was actually able to live without the agony of losing Inuyasha. I was so busy today that I hardly had time to think about it. I even made some new friends. I wonder what Sesshoumaru means when he says "training." He never got the chance to explain it to me. I should probably thank him for getting me out of my room today. I feel content now. It almost drowns out the agony I felt when I arrived. Who would have thought that Sesshoumaru would be the one to save me and comfort me? It's ironic… in a good way. I think… if we had met under different circumstances, we could have been friends and this time, I hope we can start over… as friends.'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

A/n: Well, who should train Kagome? Should Sesshoumaru personally ensure her proper training or should he leave it to a professional trainer? I couldn't decide myself so I delayed it with this chapter. Should Inuyasha and Co. come to claim their shard detector before or after she is properly trained? You tell me. Please r/r!

Japanese Vocabulary:

Neko- cat

Inu- dog

-sama- formal suffix that shows great respect, similar to lord/master

-chan- endearing suffix added to name, usually used by friends/family means "little"

Doumo Arigatou- Great, thank you.

Tsubaki- Japanese name for a camellia

Baka-idiot

Neechan- [big] sister

Please R/R!!!