InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Overcoming the Past ❯ Breakfast ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/n: Thanks for the reviews, minna-san! They really are a lot of help and encourage and motivate me to write quicker, especially when someone gives me a suggestion or says they don't like something. It tells me when I'm heading in the wrong direction. Arigatou Gozaimasu!

Disclaimer: Are Sesshoumaru-sama and Kagome together in the series? They're obviously not, so I can't be the owner!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

Kagome woke with the first light of dawn. She stretched in a very cat-like manner and climbed out of bed. She put on a simple yet elegant kimono. It was a deep blue and it had red roses on it. The obi was a beautiful crimson color, devoid of any pattern. After getting ready for the day ahead of her, Kagome began a leisurely stroll to the dining room. She still had an air of peace and happiness about her, and she didn't intend to let anything ruin her day.

"Oh, Sesshy wait for me!" cried Nika in a singsong voice. Kagome turned to see Sesshoumaru striding down the hallway in the direction of breakfast. Nika turned and went into her room to fix herself up since she hadn't gotten dressed for the day yet. Sesshoumaru caught up and fell into place next to Kagome as she sauntered down the hallway with a sour expression. Sesshoumaru noticed this.

"What troubles you, Kagome?" he inquired kindly, using her name. She seemed pleased whenever he called her by it, so he used it as often as he could. Kagome looked up at the taiyoukai with a pleading look in her eyes.

"Did you have to come this way to breakfast? It's too early to hear Nika's shrill squeals and 'oh Sesshy' cries," the young miko complained. Sesshoumaru chuckled, a rare sound and sight indeed. Kagome stared at him, shocked at his open display of amusement.

"Imagine how I feel. I had to put up with her sneaking into my sitting on me first thing in the morning. The harassment begins before I am even awake," he added sourly. Kagome giggled.

"It sounds as if you don't enjoy her company. I was informed that you were in love with her," Kagome remarked calmly. She was trying to find out how he truly felt about Nika, although she wasn't exactly sure why she cared. 'I can't help but be jealous. Sesshoumaru has been pampering me since I arrived, and now I am told that he likes Nika. That means I will lose the attention that I was receiving. I know it's stupid and childish, but I can't help myself. It feels so good to be cared for and showered with attention. Sesshoumaru has been giving me all the attention that I had wanted from Inuyasha, and it feels so good. I actually feel wanted here with Sesshoumaru and Rin.' Sesshoumaru's next comment relieved Kagome of any doubts she might have had.

"Love her? I can't stand that bitch. She drives me insane. Besides, I do not enjoy the company of such women," he explained. For some reason, he felt the need to reassure her that he was not in love with Nika, that he was without a mate or prospective bride. The flutter of her heartbeat and a slow smile was the only response he received for the remark, but it satisfied him.

<^>^<^>^<^>^<^>

As they entered the dining room, Sesshoumaru and Kagome separated slightly and took their seats. They were the only ones awake that early, except for the ever-hyper Rin, who grinned and waved at Kagome. Kagome smiled at the child's cute behavior.

"Good morning, Rin. Did you sleep well?" Rin nodded and began to babble about what she wanted to do later that day. Kagome was very happy that the child felt comfortable enough to talk so freely in Sesshoumaru's presence. Strangely, she could see why. Sesshoumaru, despite what she had first thought, was not at all hard to talk to, and Kagome found that he actually listened when someone would ramble endlessly, even though he didn't show it.

Hana and Katsuga entered the dining room several minutes later. They were surprised to see Sesshoumaru eating comfortably with two humans. The younger of the two was chatting happily while Kagome and Sesshoumaru both listened intently, hanging on the child's every words. The couple took a seat next to Kagome, who was seated to Sesshoumaru's left and across from Rin. Hana smiled as Rin waved happily and resumed talking to Kagome.

"What is your name, little girl?" Hana asked gently. Rin ceased talking and turned to Hana timidly, as if afraid of her.

"Rin's name is Rin." Hana nodded amiably.

"What a lovely name, Rin. You are such a beautiful young girl. Sesshoumaru is very fortunate to have found someone as adorable as you," Hana sadly claimed. Kagome looked at her curiously while Rin looked at Sesshoumaru for confirmation, rejoicing when she saw that Hana's remarks were true.

"What's wrong, Hana?" Kagome inquired, not realizing that it was a subject that pained her friend. Hana smiled painfully.

"I am not able to have children. I want a child very badly, but I am barren." She explained softly. Sesshoumaru gave her a sympathetic look before Nika entered the room with Yukio.

"Hello, Sesshy . . . and everyone else…" Nika chirped. Kagome groaned and shot Sesshoumaru a sympathetic glance. Nika scowled as she noticed Rin sitting to Sesshoumaru's right and Kagome to his left.

" You allow humans to dine with you, Sesshy? That's so unlike you! You would never usually allow such filth in your presence let alone to eat with you," she sneered, disgusted with Rin and Kagome. Sesshoumaru remained collected, so much so that it was almost scary. Kagome then realized that he had put on his stoic façade like he does around Inuyasha and in battle.

"It is also unusual for you to question me," he pointed out, his tone was icy and harsh. Kagome almost winced at the sound of it. Sesshoumaru glare promised death to anyone who dare even move. Rin looked frightened of him. When she was on the brink of tears, Kagome realized that Sesshoumaru was scaring her and immediately stood up, causing her chair to fall backwards behind her onto the floor. Everyone stared at her. Sesshoumaru growled warningly, on the brink of going into a demon rage due to his frustration, the fact that he was in heat, and the fact that Kagome's scent was one of the most tantalizing scents he knew to exist. Kagome shifted uncomfortably at the tension in the room.

'Think of something to break the ice. Anything, Kagome…' she thought to herself. She tried to think of something, but her mind drew up blank.

"Uh… eheh heh…" she chuckled nervously. The tension only grew thicker. "Oh! Didn't you say something about training, Sesshoumaru-sama? I think now would be as good a time as ever!"

Sesshoumaru glared at her, is eyes unwavering and unchanged. Kagome sighed inwardly, trying to think of what to do next. She cast a sidelong glance and Rin's face, which was now contorted in fear, her breathing erratic. She was whimpering. Kagome felt her heart constrict in sympathy.

'Poor Rin-chan has never seen Sesshoumaru act so violently since he began to care for her. He always ceases his battles when she arrives in order to ensure her safety.' Kagome sighed deeply.

"Rin, do you want to go see the Tsubaki now? I'll take you," Kagome offered gently. Rin nodded timidly and slid out of her seat. Kagome walked over slowly and took the younger girl's hand in her own, leading her out of the room, all the while feeling Sesshoumaru's eyes on her. Sesshoumaru also stood and left the room in the same direction as the two girls. Hana looked worriedly at her mate and Nika exchanged uncertain glances with Yukio. The same thought on everyone's mind.

'What just happened?'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~ *~*~*~*~*

A/n: Sesshoumaru is starting to get bold enough to tell Nika off! There is a reason that he doesn't stand up to her. It has to do with his parents. It'll be in later chapters. Flames will be used to burn and torture the two bitches of this fic: Kikyou and Nika! LOL! I just noticed that, once again, I avoided putting Kagome's training in this chapter. To be honest, I am too lazy o type more. This chapter was going to be a lot longer, but it's late and I don't feel like typing any more. Well, I guess that leaves more time to decide who will train Kagome. Whether Sesshoumaru trains her or some trainer that makes Sesshy jealous trains her, she will definitely be giving Inuyasha what he deserves ^_~. Please r/r!