InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pack Law ❯ To the West ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Pack Law
 
Chapter 1: To the West
 
 
“What will you do now?”
 
The pack was gathered around the fire, eating breakfast in Kaede's hut. InuYasha was choking down ramen as though he'd never see it again, but his ears swiveled forward to catch the miko's response. Miroku hid a chuckle, turning his attention to the miko in front of him.
 
“Don't have much of a choice, Sango.” Kagome's voice was resigned, it sounded like she was holding back a sigh. InuYasha's ears drooped. “You heard Naraku's last words. He'll never be truly defeated until the jewel is gone… and supposedly, the jewel can't be destroyed.”
 
“He could have been bluffing,” Miroku offered. “It seems like something he'd do in the heat of battle.”
 
“True, but either way, I have to find the jewel shards… again. I broke the jewel… again.” Kagome looked up, sharply, as something occurred to her, “Naraku had actually fused with the jewel before I purified it. What if it's his soul that battles against Midoriko now? He drew Magatsuhi from the jewel, remember? Grandpa told me when I went home that the jewel is supposed to disappear when somebody makes the right wish. I have to purify the jewel and get rid of it. I guess now it's just a matter of knowing what that wish is.”
 
“How will you figure out what it is?” Emerald eyes glistened as Shippou stared up at his adoptive mother. Especially after the light show from her arrow in the final battle against Naraku, the kitsune was pretty convinced the girl from the future could do anything.
 
Kagome brought her knees up, wrapping her arms around them and hugging into herself. She stared at a particularly interesting knot in the wooden floor. “I'm not sure, Shippou. Kaede, Miroku? Do you have any ideas?”
 
Miroku looked up from his hand. He couldn't help but stare at the unblemished flesh again and again, running his fingers across the flat expanse of skin that used to house a black hole, almost as if he expected the kazaana to suddenly rip apart his palm once again and suck him in for good. It could happen, everybody knew it. Naraku had faked his death before, residing in Kohaku's shoulder to draw out the youkai posing as Princess Kaguya of the moon. The young man hadn't been surprised when Miroku requested to inspect his back. Then again, InuYasha had seemed to be minutes away from ripping Kohaku's taijya outfit right off his body, so Kohaku didn't really have a choice. His back was blemish-free.
 
“To be honest, I don't know. It's always been rumored that a selfless wish would be granted and the jewel would turn to dust, but it obviously hasn't been proven. Lady Kikyo obviously believed that she could use the jewel to turn InuYasha human, but I can't help but wonder if that would have been a truly selfless wish?” Miroku caught a low growl coming from the hanyou and shifted away. It was imperative they have this discussion, but he really hoped to keep all body parts attached.
 
Kaede picked up where the monk had left off. “We know the evil in the jewel picks up on all possible negative implications that could be used against the wisher. Sister Kikyo wanted InuYasha to be human, but she also truly wished to be a normal woman. Obviously, we have no way of knowing how the wish would turn out, but I fear there would have been a tragic twist.”
 
Kagome nodded, staring at the fire unseeingly. `Is there really any wish that doesn't have some basis in selfishness? A wish, in and of itself, is selfish. It's a want.' A silence fell over the group, interspersed only with the sounds of chewing, the fire crackling, and InuYasha slurping ramen. Kagome shifted her seat, turning to InuYasha so quickly even he was caught off guard.
 
“Do you still want to become a full demon?”
 
If her sudden movement hadn't startled him, the business-like way she rattled the question off certainly did. He stopped eating, staring at her intently. All eyes in the room were on him, and he could feel it. “Keh. I'm stronger than any full demon. What do I need the jewel for?”
 
Whatever answer Kagome had expected, it obviously wasn't that one. She grinned; InuYasha felt warmth spread through him. His miko, happy with what he had said, wearing a ring he had given her, making him a new cup of noodles… could things get any better? `Well, maybe if the stinking wolf was here to see it…' He grinned at the thought for a moment. `Nah, she'd probably make me share the ramen with him. Keh! As if!'
 
“I'm coming with you to find the shards.” Sango's voice cut through the stillness that had again descended on the group. Kagome turned to the woman who had become a sister to her, eyes wide.
 
“Are you sure? You finally have Kohaku back now… we've gotten revenge for your village and family.” Kagome had thought Sango would have settled down with Miroku now that their enemy was gone.
 
“Of course. The jewel originally came from our village. Kohaku can come with us. We have a reputation to uphold; we cannot let the jewel fall into the wrong hands.”
 
Miroku looked up, “I will accompany you as well. I cannot risk the chance that Naraku may return. If he comes back, the kazaana may be restored. I must ensure that my family line remain unblemished.” He turned to Sango with a smile, just this side of lecherous, “And, of course, where my lovely Sango goes, I will follow.” His smile shifted into a smirk as his hand crept toward her, “Just a few paces behind, of course, for the perfect view…”
 
Sango's glare would have put out the fire if it weren't aimed directly at Miroku. He pulled his hand back quickly, “But of course, the curse of the kazaana is a serious problem that I must be sure is put to rest.”
 
Kagome hadn't thought about that. Her mind raced as she thought of how many children, grandchildren and beyond Miroku could have in her era. The thought of all those people suddenly bearing hands with black holes nearly sickened her. They just had to get all those shards!
 
Shippou sensed his mother's changing attitude and sought to change the subject. “I'll be with you, too, Kagome! You'll need a strong youkai like me to help protect you!” Shippou climbed into his adopted mother's lap. Both studiously ignored InuYasha's snort.
 
Kagome gazed at her friends with tears in her eyes. “I'm so sorry, you guys, for shattering the jewel again. I feel so much better knowing that you're by my side… and after all, with Naraku gone, it can't take that long, can it?”
 
**********
 
InuYasha had given the girl three days. Three days to tell her family what had happened, stock up on new supplies, and recover before setting out. He had used those days to convince Totosai to forge her new ring. Now was an excellent time to get going. Kagome wanted to get in as much shard-hunting as possible before she started high school in the fall. She had been lucky to pass her entrance exams; she'd have to be on her mettle to avoid failing this year.
 
“For… me?” InuYasha usually hated the three day breaks he allowed Kagome home, but this time, he knew the wait was worth it. He saw the smile crossing Kagome's face as she caressed the ring every night as he closed his eyes. He was even more impressed when Kagome returned through the well having read several scrolls at the shrine.
 
“Grandpa found a whole box full of ancient scrolls on barriers and various attacks,” Kagome told Miroku and InuYasha excitedly. “Maybe, Miroku, you could help me learn to focus my powers more?”
 
“Now that your powers have been unlocked, Lady Kagome, it would be my honor to assist you in all endeavors. I'm sure there is no limit as to what you can accomplish.”
 
Eyes shining bright with excitement and pride, Kagome grinned at InuYasha. He smirked. “Keh! You'll do, wench.” She had obviously forgiven him for his outburst after she had re-shattered the jewel. He intended on keeping it that way. There was nothing that should stand in the way of him staking his claim now.
 
**********
 
The group fell into traveling with the ease of a year of experience. Each day, Kagome and Miroku would wake up early to meditate and focus on harnessing Kagome's powers. While it started as simply a way for the miko to feel as though she was pulling her own weight, it soon became apparent that lessons would be required. Kagome's soul was huge; it seemed her powers were equally as vast. If she didn't have control over them, they would spring up at awkward times.
 
Kagome was learning to use the ring as a focus point to draw her power into her hands. Once there, she found she could direct it into different forms. She could start a campfire with a small ball of flames, and was thrilled to learn she could heat water for baths. She learned how to direct it to heal wounds, although she used the trick sparingly on InuYasha, Kirara and Shippou. She was afraid of inadvertently purifying the three.
 
Along with her new powers came an increased sense of awareness. She could feel youki from further away and could see auras around people as she walked. It took a long time for her to get used to the feelings, and even longer to decipher what her body and mind was trying to tell her.
 
“Something bad is going to happen,” she informed the group one day. She felt a flush rising in her cheeks as the group turned to stare at her. Nobody had said anything since their last break, so her foreboding comment seemingly came out of nowhere.
 
“What do you mean, Miss Kagome?” Kohaku was the first to speak up, “Do you feel a jewel shard or youkai nearby?”
 
“No, Kohaku, it's not that.” Kagome wasn't quite sure how to phrase her fears, and stumbled over her next couple of sentences. “I feel… uneasy. Something's wrong… like a cloud, hovering over us.” She glared at Miroku, who was trying to hide a smile. “Not your kind of cloud, Miroku. There's nothing to be gained here, only lost.” Still feeling everybody's eyes on her, she shifted from one foot to the other.
 
InuYasha shook his head. “I don't feel anything, wench. What about you, Sango? Bouzu?”
 
Miroku and Sango shook their heads. Both could honestly report that they felt better than they had in ages. Despite their reassurances, Kagome still looked troubled.
 
“Listen, wench. Nothing's gonna happen. We're a pack. We've got each other's backs.”
 
Shippou nodded in agreement. “I'll protect you, Kagome! We'll be okay!” The miko smiled at the eager look on the kitsune's face. Kirara mewed as she ran up to perch on Kagome's shoulder. How could she be upset when she was surrounded by people she loved?
 
**********
 
The pack had been on the trail for two weeks before they picked up their first shard rumor. A bear youkai had been rampaging through the Western Lands, much more powerful than before, and more brave than shy. It was said just one swipe of a paw would send a full-grown man flying through the air.
 
InuYasha had wanted to avoid Sesshomaru's land for the time being, but a tip was a tip, and they couldn't afford to avoid entire sections of Japan simply due to who ruled the land. The group moved accordingly, and found themselves on the Inu no Taisho's land by nightfall.
 
They hadn't been in the West for more than a few hours before Kagome felt Lord Sesshomaru's powerful and distinctive youki brush against her subconscious. She called a halt for the night; even InuYasha was willing to stop. They had traveled long and hard to get where they were, and a night's sleep would be necessary before tackling a shard-enhanced youkai. The group had just finished setting up camp when the tall youkai walked into the clearing.
 
“Little brother,” Sesshomaru said in a quiet voice, “I would speak with you.”
 
InuYasha jumped down from the tree he had been relaxing in. He had a hand on Tetsusaiga, more out of habit than actual irritation. The two brothers may never be close, but there had been a lack of open hostility between the two ever since Sesshomaru had possessed Bakusaiga.
 
“Kagome, don't go wandering off alone while we're here.” InuYasha warned the miko, waiting for her to nod in agreement before he walked off with his brother.
 
“What? We may be on your lands, but you know we're just passing through. This can't be a social call…” Two sets of amber eyes met coldly. There was quiet. About a minute later, InuYasha averted his gaze.
 
Sesshomaru allowed a rare smile to cross his face.
 
“Little brother, you are ready. You will be my beta.”
 
A/N:
 
While I understand that the movies themselves are not considered canon, I'm going to refer to them in the story. There are just several moments that I want to be able to draw from.
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.