InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pack Law ❯ Too Much Testosterone! ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Pack Law
 
Chapter 20: Too Much Testosterone!
 
For the first time since landing in America, Kagome was completely and utterly content. Well, mostly. Sort of. For the moment, at least… she could pretend, darn it! They were doing something wholly familiar to her: camping, roughing it in the back woods of Kouga's huge estate. If she closed her eyes, she could almost imagine she was back in the past, on another shard hunt. `What I wouldn't give for a hot springs…' She'd flushed at Dai and Hitomu's compliments on her cooking - nothing fancy, the normal fish-over-an-open-flame, but something they obviously hadn't had much of.
 
`Three weeks we've been here now,' Kagome sighed, staring up at the stars twinkling. `I'm kind of surprised InuYasha hasn't come to get me yet.' As resigned as she had become with the knowledge that she'd never go back to the past, never see Kaede again, never search for jewel shards (`Well, hopefully never. I think InuYasha's brain would short-circuit if we broke the jewel a third time!'), it was still hard to realize that the InuYasha she knew and loved had… well, grown up. Without her.
 
`He barely ever let me have three days to myself… three weeks? I guess he really did get used to not having me around…' Kagome could barely stifle the tears that sprung to her eyes at the thought that InuYasha had moved on… had left her behind.
 
Kagome shook her head. `No, he was upset too, when he found out I was being sent away… he said he just couldn't argue with Lord Sesshomaru.' She'd been righteously angry that day and admitted to taking a bit of it out on him (she squirmed mentally just thinking about it) but looking back, she could see how InuYasha was just as displeased as she was.
 
“Yer awful quiet. Ya' must have sumpin' serious on yer brain, little misseh…” The low, soothing drawl drew Kagome attention outward, to where the firelight sparkled in ice-blue eyes. Kagome gasped those eyes flickered amber… then back to blue. `Just a trick of the light…'
 
She wondered if she was going crazy. It was always just too quick for her to be sure, and nobody else had said anything, (`They would say something, wouldn't they?') but there'd been times throughout the last week when she thought she'd felt the soothing brush of InuYasha's youki… thought she'd spotted the familiar shape of his face through the crowds.
 
The girls wandered through the mall; Sarah dragged Kagome to some of her favorite stores, insisting they “had to pick this up” and that “oh, wow, the guys would just love you in this!” Kagome, for her part, smiled and let herself be lead, wondering just how long it'd been since she'd had a “girls' day out.” Of course, the guys were in the mall, watching out for her… Dai had requested she keep her ring off that day, so as not to draw any more attention from youkai than the jewel shard would. Kagome shrugged and did as she was told.
 
Walking past a sporting goods store, Kagome stopped as a red and silver soccer ball caught her eye. `InuYasha… Souta…' A flash of pain ripped through her heart as she realized just how much she missed her hanyou, a wave of guilt nearly drowned her as she suddenly felt childish for skipping through the mall, having a great time while her brother still lie asleep, unconscious and struggling against the effects of Naraku's miasma. What was she doing gallivanting around a mall? Kagome hadn't realized she had started crying until Sarah rested her hand on her shoulder, asking “What's wrong?”
 
“My brother… I have to learn to help him…” Sarah quickly found a bench and led her friend to it, sitting and holding her as Kagome dissolved into sobs. Seeing Hitomu across the way, Sarah shook her head; this was something Kagome needed to get out on her own, and she didn't need men to insist she was being “silly” or “emotional.”
 
“Tsuki's been helping you work on purifying, hasn't he?” At Kagome's miserable nod, Sarah plowed on, “Then, when we get back, maybe you'll be able to help your brother. If anything, it can't hurt, right?”
 
Sarah's kind words couldn't wipe away the bile that rose in Kagome's throat as she recalled the last time she had seen Souta - he was pale, lifeless, breathing on a respirator… what if he never woke up?
 
Though they were sitting by a vent, Kagome suddenly felt warm, as though somebody had wrapped her in fire-rat cloth. She found it a bit easier to breathe… `InuYasha?' She wrestled with herself for control, but as she found the elusive feeling, the warmth seeped away. Kagome stood, almost swore she saw his face in the crowd…
 
“Kags!” Dai's voice pulled at her, forced her to turn around… when she turned again, the man she'd been looking at was gone.
 
Kagome forced a smile as she realized Dai was waiting for a response. “J-just… remembering old times, I guess…”
 
“Ol' times? Ya' mean when ya' hunted jewel shards?” Sometimes Dai was a bit too observant for Kagome's liking. She wished Sango had come with her… she liked Sarah, she really did, and Hitomu was just as friendly and outgoing as his father, but she wanted her best friend with her. She wanted the kind of comfort only a best friend could provide. She nodded, but was interrupted before she could say any more.
 
“Perimeter's secure, Dai.” Tsuki flashed her an unreadable look as he settled down by the fire. Hitomu, too, seemed to have ants in his pants, gazing around into the trees as though he expected something to leap out of them at the group. Golden eyes hovered just out of the light of the fire as flames reflected off the dark eyes of Dai's wolf pack.
 
`There it is again!' A touch… a feeling of comfort, a flash of red, silver and gold in the back of her mind… Kagome groaned unconsciously as it faded. She really was going crazy, wasn't she?
 
Kagome wondered if her friends were having as much trouble breathing as she was. The people next to them were smoking up a storm! Not to mention the heavy beat of the music streaming over the speakers… the loud laughter echoing in the alley… the cracks and crashes of balls slamming into pins. Seeing Sarah's wrinkled nose, she assumed the kitsune was uncomfortable. She didn't have time to bring it up, though. “Your turn, Kagome!”
 
Hitomu grinned, slapping Tsukiyoshi's palm in an approximation of a “high five” in celebration of his score. “Ha, picked up that spare! You didn't think I could do it, did ya'?” Sarah rolled her eyes; Dai's drawl had started to leak into Hitomu's vocabulary. Kagome stepped forward, grabbing her pink ball with a giggle. Sarah had given her a hard time for picking up a light ball, but really! She'd retorted that she was “just a weak human, after all.”
 
She shivered with apprehension and excitement; how'd Dai know she loved to bowl? Of course, she hadn't had much of a chance in the last year - there just weren't that many bowling alleys in the Sengoku Jidai… and InuYasha would have had a fit with all the noises and smells.
 
“Ya sure ya know what yer doin'?” Dai's low whisper was much closer than she expected.
 
Kagome rolled her eyes. “Of course I do! It's like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget!”
 
“Alright then, little misseh, show us how it's done.” Kagome glared over her shoulder at the young man who seemed to be biting back a chuckle.
 
Kagome stepped forward, swinging back the ball and rolling it toward the pins. She just barely stopped herself from stomping childishly as the ball swerved into the gutter.
 
“Gutter ball!” Kagome's frown turned into a giggle as Sarah whapped Hito in the back of the head.
 
Kagome turned back to the pins, glaring them down as though they were the embodiment of Naraku. Unconsciously, she raised her hand to rub the chunk of Shikon on her neck, where it clanked softly against her ring. Dai had insisted she spend this night as “a normal girl, doin' girleh stuff.”
 
“Let me help ya out, afore ya glare lasers through them there pins.” Kagome gasped as Dai's arms came up to circle her, turned her to face the pins again and positioned her carefully, three steps away.
 
`Wait…' Though she could hardly hear what Dai said unless he was speaking in her ear, she could swear she felt eyes boring into her… could swear she felt InuYasha's growl, the same sound he always made when Kouga grabbed her hands. She swung around, nearly knocking into Dai, eyes darting around the hall… and then, just as suddenly as it had tingled her senses, the feeling was gone. `That was strange…'
 
She let her gaze wander to where her friends sat, waiting for their turns. Tsukiyoshi's face was completely blank, as was Dai's. However, Hitomu also seemed to be scanning the crowd, before facing Kagome with a shrug. Sarah clutched at Hitomu's shoulder, trying to get his attention, though Kagome couldn't hear what she was saying.
 
`Huh.' With a shrug, Kagome turned back to the pins. After a few pointers from Dai, Kagome jumped up and down, grinning as she knocked down a respectable 7 pins. “I did it!”
 
The miko stuck out her tongue at Tsukiyoshi, who had barely suppressed an undignified snort at the young woman's glee. Following Hitomu's wide-eyed gaze, Sarah reached out and tugged Kagome's t-shirt down further on her stomach. Kagome flushed as Hitomu stepped back; Kagome shared surprised looks with Sarah, wondering why the lecherous teen would give up a chance to make a comment or allow his hands to wander.
 
“Ya' okay, darlin'?” Her groan had not gone unnoticed by Dai, who was digging out a bad of marshmallows and some roasting sticks. Sarah's ears, unconcealed as they were in the woods, twitched as she rolled over, sniffing.
 
“S'mores!” The kitsune launched toward the ookami, who smirked and held the bag out of her reach easily.
 
“Now, girleh, ya don't wanna be stuffin' yerself. What would yer gramps say if I let ya get sick on too many `mallows?”
 
Kagome giggled. “He'd be proud she's following in his footsteps!”
 
Sarah twisted, distracted mid-reach; Dai cringing as her nails dig lightly into his thigh. “Grampa Shippou says you're the reason he'd be suffering diabetes if he were human!” Kagome giggled again, recalling the enthusiasm Shippou had shown for any and all sugary treats from “her time”.
 
“Pocky was always his favorite,” Kagome said, letting her mind wander to simpler (`Well, kind of…') times, “And I bet I could have gotten InuYasha to roll on his back and beg for a life-time supply of ramen. Both of the boys fought over the potato chips I brought. Miroku… now, he always liked the sodas I brought back.” She grinned, “He always made sure to compliment me on my cooking, too.” She sobered for a moment, growling to herself as she remembered the many, many times she had re-introduced InuYasha to Mother Nature for insulting her cooking.
 
“Sango loved almost everything I brought with me… it was a lot of fun, giving my friends a glimpse into a time they'd never… well, I thought they'd never see.”
 
The group had gone quiet, listening to Kagome's memories tinged with a touch of remorse. Hitomu was the first to break the silence, “I remember when I was a kid… Mother would always talk about things she was going to do with you. She was always curious about what had happened to the well, but I don't think she ever suspected you did anything.”
 
“Well, she's the only one!” Kagome burst out, “I can't believe InuYasha thought I sealed the well! Wait - yes I can! He always blames other people for things! Just like when I broke the jewel… yeah, I shot the crow's foot, but if InuYasha hadn't been such a jerk in the beginning, I might not have wandered off! He could have at least followed, but noooo he had to get as far away from me as possible, which gave the crow a chance to attack!” Kagome truthfully had no idea where these thoughts were coming from… it had to be somewhere deep inside, something had been roiling for a year, building with each of InuYasha's insults and taunts, soothed back by his rare moments of affection. Wherever it was coming from, Kagome found she didn't care. Like a cancer, it felt as though she'd burst, she'd die, it'd poison her if she didn't expel it.
 
“For a year, I had to fight just to go back home! InuYasha, Miroku, Sango, even old Kaede… they all lost their families. They had horrible, terrible pasts. But even then, you'd think they'd want me to spend time with my family, before I could die and never get a chance to let them know how much I love them! But no, of course not, most of the time it was all about revenge and hatred!” Her hands clenched into fists as Dai made a motion to get up, to come near her. Her eyes, hardened by old hurt, stopped him. “Instead, I had to be Miss Mary Sunshine. My heart broke every time InuYasha rushed off to see Kikyou, my head bled for Sango every time Kohaku would show up. I felt like a part of me shriveled up every time I had to patch up their wounds or sooth their hurts or…” She trailed off for a moment, not even knowing where that particular train of thought was going and unsure where to go from there.
 
“Was it all bad?” Sarah's voice spoke up, hesitantly, softly, and for a moment, Kagome was reminded so much of Shippou that tears sprung to her eyes. Seeing her black-tipped ears tilted so low on her head brought InuYasha to the forefront of her mind all over again, with his wounded-puppy expression that never failed to make her want to do everything in her power to make it go away.
 
“No,” she admitted, “It wasn't. It was worth the pain… it was worth almost failing school, realizing I don't really have anything in common with my three best childhood friends… It wasn't all bad. For all the battles and deadly youkai and wars… the Sengoku Jidai was a beautiful place. The air was clear, the water was lovely. I loved wandering the countryside while we searched for jewel shards. I made my best friends in the past… I still feel horrible about breaking the jewel. I probably caused so many deaths… but I like to think we helped, at least a little, by banding together. I don't think any of us could have killed Naraku… or, well, made him go dormant… without each other. Sango's my best friend. Miroku's like the older brother I never had. Shippou might as well be my son, even if he is old enough now to be my great-great-great-great grandfather… and InuYasha…”
 
“Am I, after all, just a replacement for Kikyou?” Kagome found she couldn't look him in the eye as she asked that. She didn't want to see the look on his face when he told her `yes'… she didn't want an answer at all, really, because she knew what it would be, and it was going break her heart, surely…
 
“Wha-? Idiot… I've been saying that's completely wrong, haven't I?” Was it just her, or did InuYasha actually sound offended? Then he sighed, as she heard him twist on the grass, “I did think that you might be alike in the beginning, but now…Kagome is Kagome. There's no replacement for you.” Kagome finally let herself relax, slipping off to sleep as that last line echoed in her head. `There's no replacement for you…'
 
`But… that was never really an answer, even if he implied it…'
 
“I can't believe I le-owwww!” In a fit of irrational anger, Kagome slammed her hands onto the ground, prepared to let loose with another blistering tirade when a sharp pain completely derailed her train of thought.
 
Dai sprung across the campfire, grabbing her arm and wincing at the damage. A long silver of wood had managed to work it way through the thin, sensitive flesh at the base of Kagome's palm. Putting his free arm around her shoulder, he gently dragged her closer to the fire, though he could see perfectly from his position.
 
The ookami prince opened his mouth to have Sarah bring him the first aid kit when blisteringly hot, angry youki flooded the area. A scrape of metal and a slew of curses was all Dai had time to react to before he was slammed on his back.
 
“Give me one reason why I shouldn't chop your head right off that scrawny neck of yours, wolf shit!”
 
`Ah ha,' Dai thought, refusing to bait the hanyou who had the legendary Tetsusaiga pressed against his neck, `InuYasha's arrived.'
 
**********
 
Several “osuwari” spells, an uncountable number of curse words, a minor scuffle and a bit of cowering on the wolves' part later, the group was seated fairly amicably around the campfire. Kagome was very comfortably settled in InuYasha's lap, her wrist bandaged, her ring firmly on her finger (half his cussing had come when he'd realized she wasn't armed), and his arms locked around her waist giving everybody, including her, the opinion that Naraku himself couldn't tear him away from her.
 
Across the fire, Tsukiyoshi sat next to a woman about the same height as him. Kagome took a moment to study the woman. Silver hair hung in braids on both sides of her face, framing her silver-grey eyes whenever the woman tilted her head forward. Those eyes were consistently moving, taking in all the sights hidden to Kagome's mortal vision. Much like Lord Sesshomaru, a silver crescent moon shone on her forehead.
 
“Sorreh fer any trouble ya might of had, sir `n' ma'am.” Dai was the picture of innocence and friendliness, so much unlike his father at the moment that had he not been a spitting image of him, Kagome would have mistaken him for somebody else's son.
 
“Not at all,” the woman replied, narrowing her eyes at Dai as though she were looking at his very soul.
 
InuYasha grumbled a warning growl; it reverberated through Kagome. “I don't trust wolf-shit as far as I can throw him; why should I trust you to take care of my pack?”
 
Dai averted his eyes at InuYasha's growl, refusing to goad the hanyou into an argument. “Pa `n' ah dun see eye ta eye on plenty o' stuff…”
 
“Your views on hanyou, for example?” the woman spat out pointedly. Unfazed, the ookami nodded.
 
“Ah say `live `n let live.' A person ain't gonna get ta choose how he's born or who he's born to. An' it's kinda dumb fer Pa ta make a big deal `bout hanyou… he wanted Kags fer a mate, yeah? Ah'd've been hanyou, too.”
 
As InuYasha growled again at Dai's insinuation that Kouga could ever have stood a chance in taking Kagome away, the miko studied the youkai woman closely. It was obvious she was an inu-youkai. She was staring at Dai as though seeing him for the first time… heck, maybe she was. Either way, Kagome thought she saw a flash of approval in those eyes…
 
Another flick of silver-grey, and Kagome knew she'd been caught staring.
 
The women met her stare before giving her a very-obvious once over. A moment later, the woman was next to her and InuYasha. “So, you're Kagome. I'm Aratakoumyou, InuYasha's sister.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened; she blinked, confused. “S-sister?” She twisted around to look at InuYasha, “I didn't think-”
 
InuYasha chuckled, confusing Kagome even more. Growling one moment and almost laughing the next? What was wrong with him? “Not my real sister. I guess she trained with my old man back in the day… he kind of adopted her when her parents died.”
 
Kagome turned back to the woman, curiosity aroused. “Are you the `Head of the Guard' Tsukiyoshi was telling me about?”
 
Aratakoumyou inclined her head slightly. “I am. And you're the all-powerful miko InuYasha's pack has regaled me with stories about. Call me Arata. I think I like you… anybody who can keep my stubborn little brother in line certainly gets my vote of confidence.”
 
InuYasha snorted as Arata made her way back around the campfire, glaring and wrinkling her nose disdainfully at the wolves that once again prowled the darkness at the edge of camp. “Stubborn, my ass…”
 
Kagome twisted again, giving InuYasha a bland look. “Oh, you're sooo right. You've never been stubborn a day in your life. Why don't you try and convince me you hate ramen, too, while you're being a baka?”
 
Tsukiyoshi sounded like he was choking as Hitomu let out a full laugh. Arata snickered, pleased with her little brother's choice of mate. Even Dai's eyes sparkled as the two commenced doing what they did best - argue.
 
Sarah shook her head, taking her turn to greet Arata. “Thank God you're here… there's just way too much testosterone in this camp. Want a s'more?”
 
Though outwardly miffed, inside, Kagome grinned, her happiness seeping into her aura. She was halfway around the world, in her own time… but for the first time in ages, she could honestly say she was completely and utterly content.
 
**********
 
“Master, I've located the miko Kagome.” The golden-haired youkai rose, clutching a piece of paper as she wandered over to the chunk of jewel sitting on the stand. Red eyes narrowed as the Shikon remained dormant.
 
“At one point, you had completely control over the jewel,” she recalled Naraku telling her. “Until that girl stole it from you. She stole many things from you… it's a shame you don't remember…”
 
The woman's mouth turned down as she frowned pensively. She never recalled her old life, not really. At night, when she was alone, or as she surfed the internet, images and sounds would send flashes of memory skipping through her brain, too fast to grasp hold of, but enough to leave her with a feeling of longing…
 
But why? What was she missing? As far as she could remember, Naraku had always been kind to her. Sure, there were times when she thought she saw him staring at her with a strange expression on his face out of the corner of her eye, but she chalked that down to an overactive imagination. He provided for her, as long as she helped him, gave her food and clothes and anything she wished for.
 
`Why can't I remember?' Names and faces eluded her… she simply woke up one day in his office, stretched on a plush couch, garbed in fine silken robes. She wasn't frightened; though something in the back of her mind let her know that something was wrong, she couldn't put her finger down on what exactly was making her feel uneasy.
 
Then he walked in the room, gave her an appraising look, and a name. “Chiaki. A thousand autumns… it feels as though I have waited for you that long. You're a hard person to find, Ki… and now, you're mine.” He led her to a room, comfortably furnished, and said she would begin working for him the next morning.
 
Staring in the mirror for the first time had been a shock. Red eyes… straw-blonde hair… she was youkai… `I wasn't always youkai, was I? This seems… wrong…'
 
Always that feeling of wrong… never a reason behind it that Ki could recall. As she clenched her hand, paper crinkled, brought her back to the present…
 
“Master Naraku… the miko Kagome… I have her now. What shall we do about it?”
 
Her dark master appeared before her. Pale, she knew he had used up too much strength in the previous days, knew she would have to provide him with some life-force soon if he were to be strong enough.
 
“Where is she? Where are the rest of my jewel shards?”
 
A/N:
 
Ever wonder what would happen if Kagome wasn't sunshine-and-lollipops all the time? I always just have this feeling that Rumiko Takahashi made sure to show us that Kagome was hurting, too. She's not a simpleton; she's trying to be strong for everybody else. But in reality, her life has been turned upside-down just as much as everybody else's… I thought it'd be neat to explore her finally letting out that pain.
 
Yes? No? Too OOC?
 
Just so ya'll know… the pieces are set, the games begin now! It's been a long time in coming, but I think I've finally finished all the set-up needed for this fic!
 
A big “thank you” to reviewer wbk, who actually helped me name this chapter!
 
Excerpt taken from the InuYasha manga, Chapter 78 “A Tender Smell”, page 16 (translation taken from onemanga.com)
 
Remember - any questions, comments or concerns? I'd love to hear them!
 
A shout-out and my greatest thanks to those who stop by and leave me a review! Specifically -
Ichigohime (Don't quote me on this, but I hope to be able to update on a weekly basis. The main problem is that I work in news, and we're swamped with the election a month away. Hehehe… and I love Dai, too. He's mah baby!)
Deathmvp - (Our beloved couple just has problems coming to terms with specific details, yes?)
CatLover260 (*grins* It takes all kinds to serve a madman, doesn't it? Sarah and Dai are absolutely adorable together - she is pretty far gone on him, isn't she?)
Kokoronagomu - (*drools* Smeeexxxyy…*big, big grins* You'd think after watching a few action flicks, she'd be more aware of how easy it is to find that information… *sigh* Poor, naïve Kagome!)
wbk - (OMG I hate to sound like a child but I seriously blushed through your entire review. I've always been concerned that things are getting too angsty or too humorous… but it's just my nature to throw in a funny or stupid comment in the middle of something painful and it's leaking into my stories now. I'm glad you feel it helps balance things out a bit! I'm also thrilled to hear you are fond of my OCs… that was probably my biggest concern when I started this story.)
Sovereignty - (*shifts in her seat* Ehh… define “allowed to drive.” Technically, I'm not *supposed* to drive six months after a seizure. But… they didn't take my license, or ticket me or anything…)
angel-up-above-heaven - (I love comedies! There are very few movies or stories that have brought me to tears that I'll willingly sit back down at watch… *grumble, grumble* My husband made me watch “The Green Mile” yesterday and I spent the rest of the day cursing humanity…)
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
I do, however, own the original characters in this story. Please don't steal them! (I may let you borrow them if you ask politely.)