InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pack Law ❯ Uncomfortable ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Pack Law
 
Chapter 23: Uncomfortable
 
Kagome kicked her feet in the air, rolling back on her bed and staring at the clock. “Where is he?” She briefly wondered if this is how InuYasha had felt, waiting for her to come home from school or to get back to the past.
 
Sarah wrinkled her nose from her seat in the corner of the room, chuckling a bit at Kagome's irritation. Kagome lifted her head to level a glare at the girl. From Sarah's reaction, her look was more comical than intimidating. Frustrated, she gazed around the room. As far as rooms went, it was rather nice - much nicer than she was used to. She had wondered if InuYasha (or Miroku, more likely) was trying to make up for keeping her at the den as much as possible. She'd been allowed to paint the room and decorate it as she liked; she'd enjoyed the shopping trip with Sango, who was rather fashionable and refused to allow Kagome to pick out cheaper items.
 
`Still,' Kagome sighed, `I'd trade all of this to be able to go wherever I want when I want!' She'd been expressly forbidden by Sesshomaru himself from leaving the den without one of “the adult pack members.” She wasn't even allowed to go out with one of the hunters or guards! `It's all because of the stupid jewel. No wonder Kikyou wanted to get rid of it.' Kagome gasped as she realized what she had thought. `Kami-sama! No! No! I'm not her! I don't want to get rid of it to be normal… I don't want to use it for something like making InuYasha human! I just don't want people in danger anymore…'
 
Kagome groaned, burying her head in her hands. Across the room, Sarah shifted on the beanbag, tilting her head and wondering what had Kagome down… besides the whole “alpha dog” display InuYasha had been pulling recently on her, of course. Maybe talking about InuYasha was a bad idea.
 
“So,” Sarah brought up slyly, a cat-that-ate-the-canary grin on her face, “what are you and Hitomu doing Friday night?”
 
Kagome smiled, looking up. “You heard about that, huh?”
 
“He may have mentioned something. All panicky-like, of course. He wanted to know where he should take you.”
 
“I think we'll just do food and a movie.” Kagome was excited to be doing something normal for a girl her age.
 
Sarah sighed. `Distraction complete now she's not worrying about where InuYasha is or being late to see her family. Too bad I have to ruin it now. If I don't mention it, though, Grampa will be soooo mad…'
 
“You know,” Sarah drawled, filing her claws carefully, “Uncle Yasha's going to be really pissed off. You're not supposed to leave here without one of the adult pack members.”
 
“I know. Sango's coming along with us,” Kagome said with an eye-roll. It really wasn't that she didn't want Sango coming along, and she could understand why. But really, did she need to be babysat all the time? Didn't she just spend three weeks in America honing her skills? Why not let her use them?
 
Sarah puffed out her cheeks, pushing out the air quickly. “Well, at least Uncle Yasha will be pissed at her. Maybe he'll be too distracted to be mad at you. I mean, after what he said at the Council and everything…” she trailed off, remembering that Kagome had been out of the room for that particular conversation.
 
Luckily, Kagome didn't take the bait. “What, that he'd protect me?” She sighed. “He's always said that. But he's not my father, even if he is old enough to be my Jii-chan's Jii-chan.”
 
Sarah cringed. “Ouch.” `That doesn't bode well for either of them… He may be older but he only looks a year or two older than when she knew him, according to Sango.' She thought for a moment, trying to word her question to arouse the least bit of suspicion. “Does his age really bother you that much? I mean, wasn't he already pretty old when you met him?”
 
Kagome sighed, rolling back onto her stomach and putting her chin on a hand. The other hand began toying with the ring on its chain around her neck. She'd become so accustomed to most of the youki in the building she didn't even flinch when one came into her sensing range. “I always knew he was older than me… but that was different. He spent so much of that time alone, you know? I mean, sure - by the time I met him, he'd already been in love once, and had his heart broken. But it's different… I feel like we really grew together when we were searching for jewel shards. It's like, I had that year to get to know him. Now, he and Sango and Miroku are all… they're older, they have new friends, they've had five centuries of… experience,” the face Kagome made as she said the word told Sarah exactly what Kagome was talking about. The miko continued, “Compared to them, well… I'm just a kid. They're all adults, they're… different.”
 
Sarah shook her head. “I think you're over-thinking this, Kagome. They're older, yeah, but deep down, they're the same people you knew. People don't change that much, do they?”
 
Kagome groaned, rolling over again. “I don't know! I'm so confused. Half the time I feel like everything's the same. Then Sango whips out a wallet of credit cards and InuYasha's wearing brand-name suits and being polite and caring and Miroku's being well-behaved even when surrounded by beautiful women!” Her voice lowered to a whisper, but she knew Sarah would hear it, “They've all lived through things I can't imagine. I didn't grow with them at all. Sometimes I feel more comfortable around you and Hitomu and Tsukiyoshi… I don't feel like I'm cramping your style, you know? To the others, I must seem like… I don't know… a stupid, giggly teen what with my moodiness lately.”
 
The duo fell silent, as Kagome contemplated what she had just admitted. `Even then, I don't feel right around Sarah and the guys, either. I went through so much in one year with InuYasha, Sango, Miroku… heck, even Shippou. I don't think the stuff that happens this time around can compare.' She groaned loudly, and then glared at the clock. “And where is InuYasha? He promised he'd come pick me up!”
 
Sarah shook her head. Kagome was in no state to be reasoned with; she was too upset.
 
**********
 
InuYasha tapped his foot anxiously, checking his watch for probably the tenth time in as many minutes. `Damn it! Kagome's going to kill me. She'll purify me… hell, maybe she'll just fucking seal me again. I promised I'd take her to see her family today.'
 
“InuYasha,” Sesshomaru's voice broke through the hanyou's anxious thoughts, “stop your relentless fidgeting. I understand you're concerned about being on time for your miko, but this information is vital to her protection.”
 
InuYasha bit down on a snarl and nodded, running his hand through his hair and re-focusing on the papers and information Arata was discussing.
 
“As you can see, we have yet to really get a lock on where Naraku is. The building they'd been in before appears to have been vacated within the last few weeks. Ken was the youkai we had the stronger energy signature from. Sango killed him, so that key to finding the bastard is gone.” She glared balefully at InuYasha. “And of course, you failed to become familiar with this Chiaki wench's youki when you met her outside the Council.” InuYasha stared at Arata, daring her to give him a hard time when he was in such a foul mood.
 
“Feh. Do you have any information that will help us?”
 
Arata was interrupted from answering by Sango's arrival. The hunter made sure the large double doors were shut and sealed before joining the trio. “Sorry I'm late. Traffic's hell today.” She settled into a comfortable seat, Kirara purring contentedly on her lap. “I wasn't able to pick up any strange or unwelcoming youki on my rounds today. In fact, there was absolutely nothing suspicious going on.”
 
“That, in and of itself, should be considered suspicious,” Sesshomaru intoned. The others nodded, agreeing with him. “Until we are unable to pinpoint Naraku's location, we must act as though he is just outside our door.”
 
Once again, the meeting was interrupted. This time, it was Sango's cell phone. Looking at the caller ID, she excused herself and took the call. The others exchanged glances. It was rare Sango would pick up her phone in a meeting; the caller, then, must be important. Perhaps an informant?
 
“Sorry about that,” Sango apologized, snapping her phone shut and sitting back down. “That was Miroku. I have some good news… and some bad news.”
 
InuYasha rolled his eyes. “That's not a cliché line at all, Sango.” Arata snorted.
 
Sango stuck out her tongue in a moment of childishness. “Cliché or not, it's true. You'll be happy to know that Souta is responding to stimulus. He hasn't actually woken up completely, like opened his eyes, and he's not talking. But he's able to squeeze people's hands, and on command. They're very pleased with his progress, Miroku says.” InuYasha let out a silent sigh of relief. Kagome would be thrilled to hear the news. InuYasha made a mental note to be sure to swing by the hospital with Kagome to let her see Souta. He knew she still felt guilty for involving her family in the battle against Naraku, even if she didn't do it on purpose. Hell, he felt worse. The family that had embraced him had been injured, and he had been right there.
 
“And the bad news?” Sesshomaru asked, trying to get the meeting rolling again. This time, the youkai lord was the one to stare at his watch. “I have another meeting in less than ten minutes, hunter, so give your report.”
 
Sango nodded. “Well, this is a mix of good and bad news. I have a lead now on that youkai, Chiaki.” Arata, InuYasha and Sesshomaru all stared at Sango. She gulped. “She's apparently… a-at the high school. With Hitomu, Kagome, Sarah and Tsukiyoshi.”
 
Arata's eyes widened at the implication. Conversely, InuYasha's eyes narrowed to slits. “When did this happen?”
 
“Miroku says he heard about it from Hitomu. Apparently she was enrolled a few days ago. She's in several of their classes.”
 
Nobody jumped as InuYasha slammed a fist down on the table. “Son of a bitch! Did NONE of the pups think it important to tell any of us? Why the fuck didn't Kagome say anything?!” He continued ranting for a moment, breaking down into growls and flexed claws a few minutes later.
 
Sesshomaru rose. “If that is all… taijya, you will follow this lead. Your son will assist you. Inform him of such. InuYasha, get information from the miko and find out why she is keeping important secrets such as these. She endangers the pack with such actions.”
 
InuYasha nodded curtly, a bead of blood dripping from where a fang was firmly embedded in his lip. Sesshomaru strode from the room, Arata leaving a minute later to resume her post outside the business Sesshomaru owned and ruled with an iron fist.
 
“InuYasha,” Sango said, reaching over to place her hand on his shoulder. He didn't throw it off, which was an encouraging sign. “Remember how Kagome is… she probably didn't keep this a secret on purpose. I mean, she always sees the best in everybody, right? She probably wants to see what Chiaki's goals are before doing anything. Please, please don't be hard on her.”
 
InuYasha growled low, a warning of the anger roiling through him. “God damn it all… Sango, she's in fucking danger and didn't tell anybody! Even worse, it looks bad for her not to tell the pack stuff like this. I hate to admit it, but that bastard's right… the whole pack is in danger because we don't know anything.”
 
Sango nodded. “I know. And Kagome might, too. But I think she's still stinging from the rejection from the Council. She doesn't see herself as one of the pack… and, to be honest, baka, your attitude the week she came back here didn't help at all. She's really confused, I think, and is trying her best to handle this. Please, please don't bitch at her too much about it.”
 
InuYasha hung his head a moment before standing and heading toward the door. “I can't promise anything, Sango.” At her admonishing look, he lowered his ears just a touch. “But I'll try to remember.” He refused to let Sango see just how much Kagome's unwillingness to open up to him hurt him. `Damn it, wench. Don't you trust me any more? Are you afraid of me now? Why won't you let me protect you?' He swore to himself he'd change Kagome's mind. She'd know just how important to the pack she was… just how important she was to him.
 
**********
 
“Oden! Mama, I love you!” Kagome bounced up and down at the table, clapping her hands eagerly. Inwardly, InuYasha smiled. It was good to see Kagome actually enthusiastic about something.
 
Kagome's mother apparently felt the same way. Though Kagome had insisted on helping, her mother was determined to cook a hearty meal to thank InuYasha for saving them that horrible day Ken and Naraku attacked, and for everything he had done since to keep her daughter safe. “I love you, too, dear. And I'm glad to see you're still so happy about my cooking. InuYasha, dear, would you like some more ramen?” She sighed happily, “It seems like everything is back to normal.”
 
InuYasha nodded around a mouthful of noodles. The house had been built back up to the same exact layout as before the fire. Of course, Sesshomaru had spared no expense, insisting on adding touches not often seen in traditional Japanese houses: central air and heating, for example. Kagome's Jii-chan had complained about the “lack of tradition” but it seemed half-hearted, at best. Even the old man could appreciate the comfort of a warm, cozy home.
 
That wasn't to say the codger hadn't found other things to complain about. At that particular moment, he was bemoaning the loss of “all the history the shrine had to offer.” Apparently the room with most of his relics and scrolls had gone up in flames and smoke. Though InuYasha doubted the historical accuracy of many of the items the old man had flaunted, InuYasha knew the loss hit him hard. Kagome, too, had a sad look on her face. She'd often mentioned that her grandfather was full of tall tales, but even she felt the pain the man was suffering. Kagome was always empathetic like that.
 
“Don't worry about it. Sesshomaru has a load of old shit crammed into the den. I bet we could donate some from the collection to help build things up.” The thrilled look on Kagome's Jii-chan's face convinced InuYasha he had made a good move.
 
`Keh, getting in good with the family to gain favor with your mate?' InuYasha growled softly at the mocking tone of his human heart. Damn it, he didn't care how he had to do it. He had heard far too much outside Kagome's room, listening to her spill her guts to Sarah without feeling a single twinge of guilt for eavesdropping. She never fucking talked to him anymore! The girl he had barely ever been able to shut up had shut herself away from him, either always pissed at him or ashamed of herself. She never thought she measured up… `You never gave her any reason to,' the snide voice of his youkai reminded him, drawing a second growl from his throat. `The Council's rejection did not help. We must make our mate smile again.'
 
The growls had attracted the girl's attention. She was gazing at him, a strange look in her eyes. `I wonder what she's thinking about. Is she upset at the Council? Is she worried about that damn youkai in her school? Would she even tell me what's on her fucked up mind if I asked?'
 
`I wonder what he's thinking about. I bet he wouldn't tell me, even if I asked,' Kagome thought with an inward sigh. `He's so darn confusing. Why is he being so nice? Loaning the stuff to Jii-chan… is it because he's older? Am I looking into this too closely?'
 
Dinner was a fairly quiet affair. For all her exertions, Kagome's mother was still healing and it hurt her to talk too much. Most of the conversation revolved around Kagome's trip to the States and how she was doing in school. InuYasha perked up at that conversation, ears and nose firmly on Kagome, especially when she started talking about her classes and her friends. He didn't detect any wariness about her, though she never once brought up her new classmate.
 
After dinner, InuYasha ushered Kagome out the door. “We still gotta go visit the kid before we get back to the den, wench.” Seeing her hesitate, he played on her sympathies. “Your mom needs to get some sleep; she's exhausted,” he tapped his nose, reminding her just how much he was able to pick up. Kagome nodded reluctantly, giving both her mama and Jii-chan a hug and kiss good-bye. InuYasha caught the glimmer of tears out of the corner of his eye and was thankful the wind was blowing the scent away. The guilt of keeping Kagome away from her family was beginning to eat away at him, but he knew it was better for everybody involved…
 
`Except Kagome,' his human heart spoke up sorrowfully, beating a bit harder in sympathy for the woman who was leaving her family behind to be with him.
 
`We'll just be her family then,' he reasoned, `and remind her that she's the reason we're family in the first place! Keh! The wench doesn't know her own fucking worth…' He cringed as the sorrowful voice reminded him, `Whose fault is that?'
 
InuYasha snorted, drawing Kagome's attention from her apparently dismal thoughts. He grimaced as she forced a smile on her face. He'd do anything to make that pained look go away…
 
“Oi,” he tossed out, as though just remembering, “Sango got a call earlier today you might be interested in.” Kagome tilted her head in interest. “Seem like the brat's coming out of the coma he was in. He was squeezing Miroku's hand earlier today; the lecher says it's a good sign.”
 
There was the sunny smile he'd been hoping for. Kagome's eyes sparkled, a mixture of happiness and the remaining tears from saying good-bye to her mother. She sped up, grabbing his hand. He fell back a little, biting back a bit of a smirk as he allowed her to “drag” him toward his car. “Come on, InuYasha!” she insisted.
 
The duo pulled out of the hidden driveway, easing onto the expressway and heading toward the heart of Tokyo. Not for the first time, InuYasha mused about why the youkai in charge had decided to put a building catering to youkai right in the center of a primarily-human establishment. Even being off the beaten path would have been a smarter idea… he shook his head, pushed the pointless thoughts away for something a bit more important…
 
“Oi, Kagome.” The excited young woman turned to look at InuYasha, obviously expecting him to continue expanding on Souta's improvement. He winced mentally, unwilling to upset her but knowing that she wasn't going to like what he had to say… but he had to say it, damn it. “Why-” He sighed. “Why did you tell anybody that Chiaki youkai who works for Naraku is going to your school?”
 
InuYasha meant to leave it at that. He really, really did. But he caught Kagome's wince out of the corner of his eye, saw her lower her head, bite her lower lip and stare out the window, as if she was doing some quick thinking. And that really pissed him off. `She's acting like this is a fuckin' joke!'
 
“What the hell is wrong with you? You think is some sort of kami-forsaken game, wench?” he demanded, pounding a fist against the wheel. Kagome glared at him, and her anger fueled his own. “You're putting the entire fucking pack in danger by not saying anything! We let you go to school, bitch, even though it's dangerous, because we're sure you're safe there! You're not if Naraku's lackeys are hanging around, though!”
 
Kagome blinked, emotions warring between relief and irritation. On one hand, just who did he think he was? She wasn't a member of their special, happy family. She was just a teenager… a teenager who had been judged and apparently found lacking! `Not that that's a big change,' she thought mutinously, thinking back to all the times InuYasha had verbally judged her against Kikyou and found her coming up short.
 
On the other hand… he was her protector. It was no surprised he was so angry with her. He saved her, he made her feel safe and secure no matter where she was or what was happening. The thought comforted her, as did the return of his old, battle-ready attitude. He'd been so nice and helpful lately; she'd felt weird, as though somebody had possessed the gruff, rude hanyou she'd learned so well. Fighting with him was natural. It was normal. It was a throw-back to the way things were supposed to be, and for that, she had to admit she was relieved.
 
Derailing that particular train of thought, Kagome asked herself the same question InuYasha had put to her just a moment before. Why hadn't she said anything about Chiaki? Was she putting herself in harm's way on purpose? Just being obstinate for the sake of making a point?
 
`No! I wouldn't put my friends or family in danger if I had any say in it!' Then why hadn't she said something to the people she knew could handle these problems? `Do I just want to prove myself to them? Do I not have any faith in them anymore?'
 
“Answer me, bitch!”
 
`Oh, that does it.' Kagome wondered vaguely if InuYasha was doing it on purpose; he pushed all of her most fiery buttons when they were in a place where sending him plummeting to the ground would be a horrific idea. On a plane… in a car… she briefly entertained the visual of InuYasha crashing through the floor of the car, slamming into the pavement below. She cringed as that image then went on to show her in the car… slamming into another vehicle. `When did I get so darned violent?'
 
“Damn it, Kagome! What the fuck are you playing at? You obviously don't have a good answer for me; you're not going back to that damned school.”
 
“You can't keep me out!” Kagome bristled. Hadn't he ruled her life enough lately?
 
Kagome's defiance brought a low growl to InuYasha's throat. “The hell I can't,” he said lowly, sounding more menacing than when he was hollering at her. “I will do anything and everything in my power to keep you safe, bitch, whether you fucking like it or not!”
 
InuYasha cringed as Kagome's aura flared in response. Taking a deep, shaky breath, he tried to calm his temper. The last thing they needed was for him to lose his mind and slam the car into a wall. He focused his eyes on the road, squeezing the wheel tightly and trying to put a rein on his run-away temper.
 
`I am an alpha. I am in charge of this situation.' Miroku's common critiques rang in his head, `Words can often solve a situation with less force than violence.' He'd scoffed at them before; he wasn't a “words” person.
 
InuYasha sighed. “Look, wench. I-I…” He what? He needed her to be safe. He wanted her to be happy. Right now… it looked like one of those two options was going to fall by the wayside. Shit. This words thing was hard. `How the fuck does Miroku do this every day?'
 
“InuYasha, I know you just want to keep me safe,” Kagome surprised him by speaking up first. Biting his lip, he nodded, staring at her out of the corner of his eye. “I know you need to keep everybody safe. I don't want anybody to get hurt, either. You know that.” He nodded again. Of course he knew that. Kagome hated the thought of anybody in pain. “But I'm not pulling out of school. Nothing you say or do will make me. I'm not going to dishonor my family any more than I already have.”
 
InuYasha winced. Honor. That was something he knew, understood and could respect. `Aw, hell…' She knew it, too. `Fuckin' bitch… sneaky wench…'
 
“Don't you trust me, bitch?” He finally spit out. “Why didn't you tell me? Or Sango? Hell, you could have told Miroku and I wouldn't be so pissed off. That youkai is dangerous.
 
`So much for trying to handle this civilly,' Kagome thought with an internal groan. “Don't you trust me?” she responded. “You say I'm supposed to be some sort of alpha female, but you don't trust me to make a decision!”
 
InuYasha cringed again. `Damn it…' “You know I do! Fuck, can't you see I'm… I'm worried about you, damn it! I know you can make decisions.” He snapped, “You just make some pretty stupid ones sometimes! You think you can trust everybody! Is that what this is all about? You want to give this youkai wench a chance?” he spat as they pulled up to the hospital.
 
Kagome refused to dignify his ranting with a response, knowing it would tick him off even more. She stubbornly refused to let the tears building in her eyes fall as his comment echoed in her brain. `Oh, I make stupid decisions, do I? I'm the one who chose to have Shippou come with us. I invited Miroku to travel with us. I welcomed Sango into our group!' She stomped her way to the front desk, ignoring InuYasha's angry shouts from behind her, knowing he'd catch up soon enough.
 
“Higurashi, Souta,” she said to the youkai working the desk.
 
“Ah, Higurashi-san! I hear your brother is doing better. He's in the same room, go on in.” With a buzz, the doors to the hallway of rooms swung open. InuYasha was back by his miko's side as she walked through, biting his tongue against the harsh words fighting to break free of his grasp. He could sense Kagome's apprehension at seeing her brother, smelt the guilt and shame in her scent.
 
“Oi,” he said softly, catching her hand before she could go into her brother's room. “It ain't your fault, wench, that he's in there. He won't be happy if you're blaming yourself for this.”
 
Meeting his eyes finally, Kagome gave him a watery smile. She straightened her shoulders, steeling herself for the sight that never failed to make her feel horrible: Souta hooked up to all those machines, looking so pale… `InuYasha always blames me for stuff. How can he say this isn't my fault? If only I hadn't been so weak, I could have purified the miasma before anything happened… maybe I could have felt Naraku's influence in the jewel shards I have…'
 
Nonetheless, she forced a smile on her face, thinking of how InuYasha said Souta was doing better, and pushed her way through the door. What she saw turned her smile into a real one - Souta lay without an oxygen mask, breathing on his own. His color was better, too. She hurried to his bedside, grasping his smaller hand and giving it a squeeze.
 
“S-Souta?” A huge grin threatened to split her face as her little brother slowly turned his head toward his sister's voice. “Souta… it's me, Kagome. I've really missed you; I'm sorry I was gone for so long…”
 
Kagome gasped as her brother slowly opened his eyes - the first time in about a month she'd seen them. “S-S-Souta?” He winced, the light obviously too bright for his weakened sense of sight, and InuYasha rushed to flip the light switches down a bit, so only the overhead lamp shone. He debated hitting the buzzer to let the nearest nurse know of Souta's change, but decided to give the siblings a few moments.
 
“Kagome?” Souta mouthed more than whispered, his voice all but gone from lack of use. Tears sprung to Kagome's eyes as her emotions warred again - this time between pleasure and guilt. It looked like her brother was going to be okay… `But he never should have had a problem in the first place,' she protested mentally.
 
“Inu-no-nii…” Souta hoarsely forced out of his mouth, eyes darting around. InuYasha moved to be in the boy's line of sight, arms crossed.
 
“We're here, runt. Good to see you back with us.” InuYasha refused to let the relief he felt show on his face. He didn't know what he would have done if something permanent had happened to Kagome's family… her family was her life. He never wanted her to be alone…
 
InuYasha looked at Kagome out of the corner of his eye as she began relating the story of how InuYasha had saved him and their mother. The way she told the story, he was a hero… He wondered, sometimes, how she could see him so different than he saw himself. It reminded him how so long ago, he would have done anything to see her smile… when all she wanted was for him to be himself.
 
`I want to be her hero. I never want her to suffer.'
 
**********
 
Kagome blew her bangs out of her face, willing herself to focus on the blackboard.
 
`I don't have the luxury of living history anymore,' she reminded herself. `I have to pay attention now!' Still, her thoughts traveled to her brother, who had been doing much better in the past few days, and InuYasha, who was still driving her absolutely insane.
 
`He's nice one minute and irritating the next,' she groaned. But she couldn't stop the smile from creeping onto her face as she recalled, `But it's like how he used to be. It's… normal.'
 
She stood and bowed with the class as the bell rang, signaling lunchtime for Kagome, who hurried to find her friends. Tsukiyoshi was leaning against the door waiting for her. At least one of the pack members was in each of her classes; Sesshomaru had put his foot down upon their return to Tokyo. She looked around the hallway, surprised to find it rather empty. “No Hitomu today?”
 
“He and Sarah have a test to make up,” the youkai replied. “A science test. I'm sure we'll have to take it after lunch.” He managed a small smile as Kagome made a face.
 
“Just great.” As the two turned the corner, what appeared to be a small riot stopped them in their tracks. Boys and girls alike were shouting things at a person in the hallway - it looked like no teachers had been informed of the impromptu “burning at the stake” occurring. “Can you hear what they're saying?” Kagome turned to Tsukiyoshi, whispering but knowing he'd hear. Perhaps his enhanced senses could pick out phrases… “Or can you see who they're crucifying over there?” Kagome hated being short. If it weren't for Tsukiyoshi's iron-like grasp on her upper arm, she'd already be fighting through the crowd.
 
“Don't-” Tsukiyoshi was cut off as a rather familiar voice echoed.
 
“Who do you think you are?”
 
Kagome started. “Was that Eri?”
 
“You've got some nerve! Coming in here and starting rumors about poor Kagome!” Kagome blinked as Yuka's voice rang out in turn.
 
“Tsuki, let go.” Kagome managed to twist out of the inu-youkai's grip and began shoving her way through. Whatever was going on obviously involved her. So why had nobody told her…
 
What she saw stopped her in her tracks. Eri, Yuka… even kind-hearted Ayumi were glaring at Ki, who looked baffled by all the fuss. Turning, Kagome realized that many of the people there were giving the incognito youkai the evil eye; those who weren't were grinning as though they were at some sort of show. `Well, I guess to them this is one…'
 
“Just what is going on here?” Kagome cried out loudly, drawing everybody's attention. Ayumi whirled to face Kagome, Yuka following. Eri remained glaring at Ki for all she was worth.
 
Ayumi rushed to her friend. “Eri is really, really mad at the new girl,” she whispered, and then raised her voice so most everybody could hear. “The new girl says your family was lying about all the diseases. That you were skipping and doing drugs!”
 
Boos and hisses rang out from the crowd; Kagome was stunned. `How do half of these people even know me? We just started at this school and I wasn't around for most of last year. Of course… I mean, I was always at school before that…'
 
Yuka picked up where Ayumi had left off. “This bitch says you cheated to get into this school! Are you just going to let her smear your good name like that, Kagome?”
 
Kagome gaped, staring at her friends and then Ki in confusion. What caught her attention most was the look in the youkai's eyes… `She looks really upset.' The look tugged at her heartstrings.
 
About then, all the accusations and alleged rumors sunk into Kagome's brain.
 
“Wait, wait, wait. Hold the phone. You said I cheated to get in here?” Kagome demanded. She recalled the days of frustration, hurt and disappointment when it seemed she had failed her family in not passing her entrance exams. She had just barely snuck into this school as it was!
 
Ki inclined her head, meeting Kagome's angry gaze with a look of her own. “If you missed so much school last year, supposedly for a variety of illnesses, how were you able to pass the exams?”
 
Eri hissed, sounding so much like Kirara for a moment that Kagome was forced to hold back a giggle. “She was very sick! Kagome worked very hard and almost didn't get in here!” Kagome buried her hands in her face for a moment. `Thanks, Eri. Announce it to the whole school, why don't you?'
 
“Kagome is not a liar! Kagome would never do drugs, either!” Yuka chimed in, looking to Kagome for agreement.
 
“It's true, I've never done drugs,” Kagome nodded. `Eh… about the lying…'
 
Belatedly, the girls in the center of the gathering realized teachers had finally come on scene, drawn to the shouting. Kagome started at Ki one last time, determined to show the youkai that she wouldn't back down - here or anywhere else, for that matter. Again, she caught a look of pain and frustration on her face.
 
“Problem, girls?” A teacher asked Eri, who still looked murderous. The teen shook her head.
 
“Not at all, sensei. Just a misunderstanding. I'm sorry for interrupting your class.”
 
“Move along, then.”
 
The three girls looked to Kagome before crying out that they'd save her a seat. With one last glare in Ki's direction, they headed toward the cafeteria for the remainder of lunch. Kagome felt Tsukiyoshi come up behind her, until it was only the three remaining in the hallway.
 
“Look,” Kagome offered, “I'm sorry about my friends. All of them are a bit protective.”
 
Ki raised an eyebrow. “You apologize? I say horrific things about you… and you apologize to me?”
 
Kagome flushed, looking at her feet. “Well, part of what you said was true,” she muttered, knowing both nearby would hear her. “I wasn't sick and we all know that. But still-”
 
“Why are you being kind to me?” Ki demanded angrily, cutting into whatever Kagome was about to explain. Kagome's head jerked up and tilted questioningly.
 
“I-I…” the miko trailed off. Closing her eyes for a moment, various faces flashed through her mind. Kagura… Kanna… even Moryoumaru and Naraku's infant… they'd all wanted to be free of Naraku's influence. “I don't want you to have to live under him,” Kagome finally said, opening her eyes to meet Ki's once more. Tsukiyoshi's hand on her shoulder bolstered her. “So many of those who worked with him… they wanted freedom. They wanted his death. You do not seem evil to me. I want your freedom from him.”
 
Ki's eyes flared. A gust of wind rushed past Kagome's face in a blur; suddenly, Tsukiyoshi was in front of her, growling menacingly, holding Ki's arm at the wrist. `Did she just try to slap me?'
 
“How dare you,” Ki seethed, glaring around Tsukiyoshi to the miko behind him. “You dare to judge me, to judge my worth and loyalty to my master? He has been nothing but kind to me… whereas just the sight of you causes me pain! I don't need nor want your pity, child-miko!” She jerked her hand out of Tsukiyoshi's grasp. “I will have my revenge on you. Just you wait.”
 
Ki spun on her heel and stalked off, shoulders taught with barely-contained fury. Kagome slumped to the floor, eyes unseeing. `I need to tell somebody about this…' Tsukiyoshi tilted her face up. `Or he will…'
 
**********
 
Kagome dug through her closet, dancing to the music playing behind her. `What to wear, what to wear…' She grabbed a cute dress from the closet with a matching jacket and spun to hold it up to herself in the mirror.
 
The hanger fell to the floor with a clatter as golden eyes locked with hers from across the room. Clearing his throat, looking sheepish at startling her, InuYasha walked into her room. He breathed in deep, enjoying the scent that was absolutely, wholly Kagome.
 
“Oi,” he nodded, sitting on her bed. `Why am I so nervous? She always wanted to talk before. Of course, she always started it… But I know she's gotta have a shit-ton of questions… Sango said she knew about those girls.' Why did his heart grow heavy in his chest at that thought? `Damn it…'
 
Kagome pasted a small smile on her face. “Hey. What's up?”
 
“Not much. Um…” InuYasha looked away for a moment. “Was wondering if you wanted to go out to dinner or something tonight. Thought we could sit down, have a chat.”
 
Kagome's mouth dropped open. After a moment, she shut it, flushing. Somehow, she couldn't bring herself to look at his eyes… “I-I'm… um… I-already-have-a-date-tonight,” she blurted out quickly, turning her back on him.
 
“What?” InuYasha stood, glaring at her back. “With who?”
 
“H-Hitomu…” Kagome whispered.
 
“I didn't fucking approve that!” InuYasha shouted. He reached out and spun her back around by the shoulder, forcing her to meet his gaze.
 
Kagome's eyes flashed angrily, mood rising with his. “You can't tell me what I can and cannot do, InuYasha! You can't stop me from being a normal teenager!” Kagome could actually feel his anger growing. It wasn't rolling off him so much as pouring out of her. `What a strange feeling… it's like I know how he's thinking,' flashed through her mind before being caught up in other, more turbulent emotions of rage, irritation and… betrayal?
 
Eyes planted firmly on his rosary, she hissed, “You never let thoughts of me get in the way of your relationships.” She didn't have any idea where the comment came from… didn't have any clue whether she was talking about Kikyou or the women Ayame had mentioned in passing… and she found it didn't matter. Either way, both of them flinched the moment the words left her mouth. All of InuYasha's breath left him in a loud `whoosh' as though she had punched him. At the same time, Kagome felt herself deflate, wishing she could take it back.
 
Kagome found she could actually hear him grind his teeth together. “Fine,” he bit out, “Fine. Be a normal teenager,” he sneered, stomping out of her room.
 
As he left, Kagome slunk to the floor. She'd never felt so alone.
 
Slamming his office door, InuYasha spared a moment to marvel at the fact that Miroku had finally learned just the right amount of tension on the hinges to keep him from sending the door through its frame…
 
He threw himself in his office chair, spinning to glare out at the darkening sky.
 
`What the fuck was that all about?' he fumed. Absolutely livid, InuYasha wanted to rip something, to tear into something. `That asshole pup fucking knows she mine. What the hell is he playing at? What the fuck is she thinking?'
 
He winced as her last statement resounded in his head. `You never let thoughts of me get in the way of your relationships!' Each word, each syllable had been like a gunshot through the heart. `If she only knew how fucking wrong she was…'
 
After Kagome had left, InuYasha had refused to have anything to do with women. Sure, there were trysts here and there, but nothing ever lasted more than a night or two. He refused to fall into a relationship with another woman - they were all the same. He saw them all as worse than irritating - they were traitorous, pure and simple. Sure, Sango was kind. Kaede had been like a grandmother to him, and Aratakoumyou was the sister he never knew he sort of had.
 
But Kagome… Kagome had been his. More than Kikyou ever had been or ever could have been; she was the first person to accept him for who he was. When he thought she had betrayed him, it had cut him deeper than Kikyou's arrow ever could have. The scars Kagome had left had never healed, though she'd healed Kikyou's long before. He'd betrayed her so many times in thought and action… rushing to Kikyou's side like a loyal puppy (he winced at the mental comparison, true as it was) and leaving Kagome alone.
 
`Not alone,' he insisted mentally. `Somebody else was always with her. Even if it wasn't what she wanted.' Even then, he knew it hadn't been enough - Naraku had gotten her more than once… but still, she'd always forgiven him.
 
Miroku entered the office slowly, as InuYasha sat, staring blankly out the window.
 
`Have I finally done it? Have I finally pushed her away for good… now that I know she's the one I wanted all along? She said she loved me. Was it all just a lie?'
 
A/N:
 
First - the speculation over Ki (and the VERY differing reactions) are making me rub my hands together and cackle evilly with glee.
 
Second - I sat down to map out the rest of the story… I predict Pack Law will be about 30 chapters long… depending, of course, on rogue plot bunny attacks and such.
 
Third - I've also fleshed out a sequel or two to the story already. I have so many ideas dealing with my OCs, and InuYasha and Kagome's lives (don't forget: she's still just starting high school. There's plenty more in the future for these two, and they're my favorite couple!). What do you guys say to me fleshing this out some more?
 
Also - I am working on a series of one-shots, fleshing out the 500 years between the Sengoku Jidai and the pack catching up to Kagome. While I have some of them already planned… what questions do you have? Are there certain characters you'd like me to expand on?
 
All those awesome reviews push me to write faster! Thanks go out to -
badgirl1093 - (*looks confused* If Kagome is Kikyou's reincarnation… how could Ki be her?)
Lunabell - (Is she or isn't she? Therein lays the question…)
angel-up-above-heaven
Catlover260 - (All will be explained in due time… perhaps… *grins* glad you enjoyed the mental picture of InuYasha falling through the plane, I hoped to send at least one person into giggle-fits, and I'm thrilled to hear I succeeded.)
Ichigohime - (I'll miss Dai, too. However, if I get enough feedback, he's the main point of one of the stories I have up my sleeve for a sequel…)
Deathmvp - (I'm glad I could make your day better!)
Sovereignty - (*evil grins*)
Arizonasiren - (*blush* Welcome to the pack! I'm so pleased to hear you're excited about the story! There's plenty more expected for “Pack Law,” so be sure to stay tuned!)
kokoronagomu - (Thank you sooo much for the giggles! Oh my goodness I nearly choked laughing at the YouTube video. Kikyou really DOES seem like that sometimes, doesn't she? Naraku really is pulling out all the evil stops with this character, though.)
CandyEars
KayAkuma - (*cracks up* Give Ki a chance. I can only hope that by the end of the story, you'll be surprised…)
 
Disclaimer: I do not own InuYasha or any other characters from the anime/manga. They all belong to Rumiko Takahashi.
 
I do, however, own the original characters in this story. Please don't steal them! (I may let you borrow them if you ask politely.) Arata is the creation of the fabulous Phalon - I've done a bit of tweaking, but she is for all intents and purposes not mine.