InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ Lingering Betrayal ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
Lingering Betrayal
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
He took three deep breaths and opened his eyes. Coldness seeped into his amber gaze. He hardened his heart. With purpose and precision, he headed down to the meeting.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Kagome slammed her palm down on the clock radio as it blared at her. Groaning, she rubbed her eyes and stared at the flashing red numbers: 7:30 am. After saying their good-byes to her mother the night before, she and Kazuki had returned to her hotel room and had collapsed on the sofa. Kaz had declared that he was famished and had cajoled her into ordering room service. Fueled with a late night snack, they had spent most of the night talking and joking, with Kagome filling Kazuki in on her Feudal adventures.
 
After having to practically shove Kazuki from her room, she stumbled to her own bed at 1:00 am. After lying awake for another hour thinking about InuYasha, and formulating a plan on how and when to go back through the well to see him again, she finally succumbed to sleep at 2:30 am.
 
Now, five hours later, Kagome was regretting her late night. Sure, she could stay up late and get away with it when they were in Canada, but they had a meeting in two and a half hours with the owners owners who could pull the plug anytime on their project, and she did absolutely nothing to prepare for the meeting.
 
Groaning as she pulled herself out of bed, she stumbled to the bathroom. She brushed her teeth before she turned on the shower taps. Standing under the hot, spraying water, she willed herself to wake up. She washed her hair and shaved her legs before she exited the shower and headed into the bedroom.
 
After drying her hair, she opened up the armoire and contemplated what outfit she would wear. Finally deciding, she put on a starch, white cotton dress shirt. She quickly did up the buttons, leaving the top two undone to show off her swan like neck. She put on a charcoal pinstripe jacket and slipped on the matching skirt. Rummaging through her jewelry case, she found a string of fresh water pearls with matching earrings. After securing the jewelry into place, she proceeded to fix her hair. Twisting her hair into a bun at the nap of her neck, she secured it with a grey turtle shell comb. Sliding a delicate gold bangle onto her wrist, Kagome perused her image in the mirror.
 
Satisfied that she was ready for the meeting, she slipped on a pair of dark grey pumps. She was about to go out in search of Kazuki, when he beat her to the punch and knocked on her door. Smiling, Kagome glanced at the clock — 8:00 am — before opening the door to her friend. If anything, Kazuki was always punctual.
 
“God, you look great, Kagome. So business like.” Kazuki grinned lazily at her as he leaned against the doorframe.
 
Kagome raked her eyes up Kazuki's tall frame. He was wearing a black Hugo Boss suit that hugged his muscular frame. An onyx coloured dress shirt peeked out behind his opened jacket. He had put on a silver-tipped, black tie in honour of the meeting. His usually unruly, shoulder-length black hair was neatly slicked back behind his ears.
 
Reaching out and straightening his knot, Kagome smiled up at him. “You're not looking so bad yourself. Nice tie by the way. I didn't know you owned one.”
 
“Look at us. If we were home, we'd be in our sweatpants and t-shirts. All dressed up to impress some bigwigs.”
 
“Well, first impressions are important,” Kagome said as she reached for her purse. Taking a stack of folders off the coffee table, she handed them to Kazuki who tucked them into his briefcase. Straightening up, he turned to Kagome and gave her a bright smile. “Ready to go?”
 
Kagome blanched. Yes, like sheep to the slaughter.”
 
Laughing lightly, Kazuki tucked Kagome's hand under his arm and steered her towards the doorway. “Well, let's get breakfast first. Then they'll have well fed sheep!”
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
After a leisurely breakfast and a quick stroll around the outdoor atrium, Mitsuru showed up at 9:30 to drive them to the Takahashi building. Winding through the streets, Kagome was surprised as they sped past the downtown core. Asking Mitsuru about it, she was told that because of the nature of their business, the Takahashi Group was on a private compound located on the outskirts of the city. Mitsuru further explained that the Takahashi Group also dabbled in other experiments that required absolute secrecy, including huge contracts with the National Army.
 
When Kazuki inquired about how the Takahashi Group contributed to the National Army, Mitsuru clammed up and changed the subject. Kagome couldn't help but giggle as Kazuki arched an eyebrow at her at the obvious avoidance of the subject.
 
They pulled up to the main building fifteen minutes later. The Takahashi building was, in reality, several separate buildings with multiple complexes throughout the grounds. After checking in with the security guard, they proceeded into the parking lot.
 
The car lurched suddenly as Mitsuru abruptly slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a motorcycle driver who swerved in front of them.
 
“What the hell…” snarled Kazuki as his briefcase and Kagome's purse went flying, and they were jerked back into their seats; held in by their seatbelts.
 
Kazuki looked briefly at his companion. “Kagome, are you all right?”
 
“I'm fine.” Kagome breathed heavily as her heart thumped loudly in her chest.
 
“I am so sorry, Dr. Higurashi, Dr. Matsumoto. My sincere apologies! Are you both all right?
 
“Yes, Mr. Sato, we're fine,” assured Kagome with a tight smile.
 
Kazuki reached down to collect their items off the floor and snarled at Mitsuru, “Who the hell was that? He should be reported.”
 
“Umm,” stammered Mitsuru. “That was… um… Mr. Takahashi.”
 
The owner?” Kazuki asked incredulously. Mitsuru kept silent as he parked the car at the curb and opened the door for them.
 
“Well, nice to see that he's so interested in getting to our meeting on time,” Kazuki said sarcastically as they watched the helmeted figure run into the building.
 
Mitsuru shifted uncomfortably, suddenly finding his shoes fascinating as he kept his attention on the ground. “Ah… well, it's actually his brother, the other Mr. Takahashi, who is the CEO and ah…
 
“It's all right, Mr. Sato.” Kagome smiled reassuringly at him, while shooting a look at Kazuki. Kazuki caught the look and remained silent as Mitsuru led them into the building.
 
Mitsuru checked them both in at the security desk. While Kazuki was filling in their visitor forms, Kagome noticed a streak of silver disappearing into an elevator.
 
Inu… Kagome thought as her heartbeat quickened. She mentally shook her head. She was thinking of him so much that she was beginning to see him everywhere. She quickly squashed that thought as she scanned the lobby.
 
She was surprised to see various youkai walking around, scanning their passes and exiting through one of several doors located throughout the lobby. Seeing Kagome's interest, Mitsuru said, “It's a security measure that we have. Everyone who works here must check into the system by scanning their identification passes before they are allowed into the complex.
 
“But how do they know if a pass is stolen?” interjected Kazuki as he deposited the completed forms at the security desk.
 
“Each individual's youki is tied to the pass, so it's impossible to duplicate it or use one that is not yours,” Mitsuru announced proudly. “Mr. Takahashi prides himself in state-of-the-art technology.”
 
Kagome nodded. “That makes sense. What about those doors that everyone is going through?”
 
“The doors lead to various areas of the complex. I am sure you will be given a tour later.”
 
Kagome turned and gasped, “Mr. Sato, you're a raccoon youkai! Turning, she looked at Kazuki. “Kaz, you're in your hanyou form!”
 
Mitsuru explained, “There is a concealment barrier over the entire compound. It deactivates all youki transformation devices. However,” he looked at Kazuki, “we must all still keep our charms on. This is strictly company orders.”
 
Kagome nodded. “That explains the strange vibrations I felt coming into the area.”
 
Mitsuru looked at Kagome strangely, prompting Kazuki to explain, “Kagome is a miko.”
 
“Ah, that explains a lot of things.” Mitsuru looked at Kagome respectfully. Only those with strong spiritual powers can feel the concealment barrier.
 
Kagome was going to question him about what he meant by `a lot of things' when a weasel youkai approached them and bowed.
 
Dr. Matsumoto, Dr. Higurashi?”
 
Yes, Kazuki answered.
 
“My name is Rini Youshida. Welcome to the Takahashi Group.” The youkai bowed again and handed them each a visitor pass. “Please keep these passes with you at all times. We have a high level security system in place, and this pass will allow you access throughout our compound.” She waved towards a set of glass doors. “Please follow me.”
 
“I will leave you here in good hands. Dr. Matsumoto, Dr. Higurashi.” Mitsuru bowed politely before he exited out the front doors.
 
Kagome clipped her pass on as Kazuki whispered in her ear, “Ready or not, here we come.” Kagome stifled a giggle as they passed through the doors.
 
Kagome was amazed at all the security throughout the building. Rini wasn't kidding when she said that their pass was important. Virtually every entrance in every area required you to scan your identification before you were allowed in.
 
They exited the elevator, passed an outer desk, and were led to a door on the far side of the floor. Scanning her pass, Rini opened the door and explained, “This is the boardroom where the meeting will be held. She ushered them through the door and smiled brightly at the couple already standing in the room.
 
This is Dr. Juro Watanabe and Dr. Sakura Nishi of the Takahashi Group, she introduced, and this is Dr. Kazuki Matsumoto and Dr. Kagome Higurashi from the Matsumoto Corporation.
 
The foursome bowed to each other and smiled, silently sizing one another up.
 
After an initial grunt of reply, Dr. Watanabe looked bored as he perused the various paintings hanging around the room. Too bad he seems so snobbish, Kagome thought. He would be rather good looking if he would just smile or seema bit interested in the proceedings. He was the oldest doctor in the room in his mid thirties with short cropped hair, and to Kagome's surprise, a pair of black rimmed glasses. A youkai with glasses? Well, that was a new one. Kazuki must have had the same thought as he gave Kagome a smirk.
 
Trying to keep a straight face, Kagome turned to Dr. Nishi. The young youkai seemed more approachable. Dr. Nishi smiled brightly at them. “Welcome to the Takahashi Group.” She bobbed her head, her black hooped earrings swinging against her long, silver hair.
 
“Thank you. Kagome smiled back.
 
“How are you enjoying your stay in Japan?”
 
“I'm originally from Japan,” Kagome corrected. I have just been living in Canada for the past five years.”
 
“Oh… Higurashi… Higurashi… Are you related to the Higurashis from the shrine?
Yes, my mother and brother run the family shrine.”
 
Oh, I've been there before. It's very lovely.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
Dr. Nishi turned to Kazuki. “And you, Dr. Matsumoto, are you originally from Japan as well?”
 
Kazuki turned on his charm and smiled broadly at the doctor. “No, I'm Canadian born and bred. I have been to Japan on numerous occasions though. It's like a second home to me.”
 
Dr. Watanabe turned his attention to the trio and scoffed, “I don't understand why the Matsumoto laboratory base is in Canada anyways.”
 
“Canada is less congested and has more land. Its government also has quite lenient laws and welcomes foreign business. It works out quite well,” Kazuki replied smoothly, deciding not to get into a disagreement with the obviously confrontational Dr. Watanabe.
 
The slight tension was broken when the door opened behind them.
 
“Mr. Takahashi.”
 
Kagome had a sense of foreboding as she pasted a smile on her face, and turned to face the owner… and froze. Her mouth dropped slightly as she watched the inu-youkai approach her.
 
“Oh Kami….” Kagome whispered as Sesshomaru Takahashi stood in front of her.
 
“Kagome, how nice to see you again.” Sesshomaru bowed slightly, hiding an inner smirk as he watched the woman in front of him recoil in horror. After all, the last time she saw him, she was jumping out of the way of his Tokijin sword while they were defeating Naraku.
 
Kagome stared up at the youkai, willing herself not to step backwards in intimidation. The clothing was different an immaculate black Giorgio Armani suit replacing the white kimono but the predatory gaze and the powerful aura was unmistakable.
 
“Ah…”
 
Kazuki, sensing Kagome's distress, stepped in front of her. “Mr. Takahashi, I'm Dr. Kazuki Matsumoto.” He bowed formally. Glancing at his partner, he squeezed her arm encouragingly. This is Dr. Kagome Higurashi.
 
Kagome had gathered her wits by then and stepped forward. “Forgive me, Mr. Takahashi, I was just… surprised to see you.” Kagome bowed, frantically trying to steady her heart rate.
 
The other youkai in the room looked at her strangely. Well, no wonder, she thought, they can all hear how fast my heart is beating and can probably smell my anxiety too. Damn, off to a great start.
 
Juro, Sakura.” Sesshomaru nodded to his associates. He glanced around the room and noticed the absence of one hanyou. Damn, can't that baka ever do as he's told?
 
“Please excuse me for a moment,” Sesshomaru said as he briskly left the room, closing the door behind him. He grabbed the phone off the startled secretary's desk, and punched in his brother's number. “What the hell are you doing? Get down here now!” he growled into the receiver before slamming it down.
 
He smirked at the shocked expression on the secretary's face. “Mrs. Ito, if you could please bring in some tea for our guests.”
 
He strolled back into the room as his secretary stammered, “Y-yes, Mr. Takahashi… right away, sir…”
 
Sesshomaru re-entered the room. Ignoring the growing tension he felt, he gestured for them to take a seat at the long teak table.
 
Everyone waited until Sesshomaru sat down at the head of the table before taking their own seats. Rini sat down to Sesshomaru's immediate left. Kazuki followed suit by sitting down next to her. Kagome sat down beside Kazuki, leaving Dr. Watanabe and Dr. Nishi to take the seats opposite them. The seat to Sesshomaru's right remained empty.
 
Mrs. Ito hurried in with a tray of tea and placed the refreshments on the table.
 
Kagome felt a sinking sensation in the pit of her stomach as she looked at the empty seat. His brother, the other Mr. Takahashi… Mitsuru's words rolled in her mind as her heart began to beat faster, and only one thought flowed through her, InuYasha.
 
As if conjuring the hanyou with her thoughts, the door abruptly opened, and in strode Yash. The hanyou glanced around the table eyes quickly skipping over Kagome —before he sauntered to his seat.
 
Kagome followed him with wide eyes and watched him gracefully slide into his chair. His hair was still long and beautiful, but it was neatly trimmed and not as wild looking as it had once been. It was tied loosely and cascaded elegantly down his back. His shirt was a brilliant reminder of the red fire rat robe he used to wear, and it made Kagome hitch her breath in memory. He's still alive. After 500 years, he's here. Kagome's shocked brain registered that fact as she stared at him. He looked a little older than she remembered; more in his late twenties than late teens. The slightly childish contours of his face were gone; his cheekbones were more refined, and his face had a leaner, angular look to it.
 
He looked so… so polished. Gone was the boy she loved so much, running wild in the forest in his red hoari. In its place was a cultivated, handsome, young man. Kagome had never imagined that he could look so good in modern clothing. Never once, in all the time she had known him, had he worn anything remotely modern. To see him in his obviously named brand clothes, Kagome was in a bit of a shock. She could not take her eyes off of him. He looked so good, and she drank in the sight of him.
 
A slight snicker from across the table brought Kagome out of her daydreams, and she looked at Dr. Watanabe as he smirked at her. A slow, heated blush graced her face, and she bowed her head in embarrassment, not daring to look at Kazuki to see his reaction on her obvious staring.
 
“Now that everyone is here,” Sesshomaru said, eyeing Yash coldly, we may proceed with the meeting.”
 
Rini made the introductions. Mr. Yash Takahashi, this is Dr. Kazuki Matsumoto and Dr. Kagome Higurashi from the Matsumoto Corporation.
 
Yash inclined his head and stared frigidly at Kazuki and Kagome. Kazuki curtly nodded back.
 
Dr. Higurashi,” Yash practically spat out. “How nice to see you again.”
 
Kagome was shocked at the amount of venom in the words thrown at her and visibly paled. “Inu —”
 
“It's just plain Yash,” the hanyou growled, but you can call me Mr. Takahashi.”
 
Kagome gasped as if she was slapped in the face. After all these years, he was still angry with her! She was so elated to see him. Wasn't he at least a little happy to see her? Oh, Kami! Another thought hit Kagome like a ton of bricks. InuYasha was her boss! He left her because she had chosen her job and, all along, she was working for him! Oh, the irony of it all! She didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
 
Kazuki sat beside his colleague and became enraged at Yash's rude behavior. He didn't know what the hell was going on. Kagome and Yash obviously knew each other. Wait a minute, did Kagome just begin to say Inu? InuYasha, the jackass that Kagome had been pining after? Kazuki looked sharply at her, but she still had her head bowed. He glared back at Yash. Kagome still might love that bastard, but that didn't give him the right to treat her like that. How dare he?
 
“Mr. Takahashi, we came here on good faith to discuss our current project. We did not come here to be insulted,” Kazuki said coldly.
 
“He meant no offense, Dr. Matsumoto,” Sesshomaru interjected, glaring at his brother to behave. “We are just surprised at Dr. Higurashi's presence here. We never expected to see her again.”
 
Kazuki raised his eyebrow at that cryptic answer. The Takahashi Group is our major shareholder. We've been working on this project for the past five years. A project that you have been kept updated on, including information on its primary research chairs, and you didn't realize Kagome was one of them?” he challenged.
 
Kagome blanched at the hardness in Kazuki's voice. He's furious. If I don't calm him down now this meeting will fall apart, and we can't afford to do that! She laid her hand on Kazuki's arm, noticing the tension underneath the suit.
 
“Kazuki,” Kagome said shakily. “It's all right. We're here to talk about our work, please.” She looked pleadingly at Kazuki to calm down.
 
Yash internally seethed as he watched Kagome touch Kazuki. She wasfucking reassuring him, with her fucking soft voice, looking at him with her fucking brown eyes. A terrible rage began to fill him and he saw red. A low growled erupted beside him, and he glanced at Sesshomaru, and his rage receded. The inu-youkai looked like he was ready to kill him. Mentally shaking the haze around his head, Yash grimaced. Where the hell was his self-control? Fuck! All his self-restraint flew out the window as soon as he entered the room and saw her. He's acting like a teenager. He hasn't been in a mind losing rage in centuries. He sure wasn't going to start now, especially not with her and that bastard sitting there.
 
He leaned back in his chair and rested his elbows on the armrests. Clasping his hands together lightly, he insincerely said, “My apologies. I meant no offense.
 
Kazuki was about to retort when he felt Kagome's hand tighten on his arm. He took a deep breath. For her and for their work, he could do this. “Apology accepted,” he gritted out.
 
Sesshomaru looked around the table at the faces ranging from shock to outright delight and sighed. The hanyous were glaring at each other, while Kagome looked confused and flustered. The trio were in their own little world and did not seem to notice that there were three others in the room hanging onto their every word. The gossip mill would be churning as soon as this meeting let up. Sesshomaru sighed again. Not exactly the way he wanted to start things. “Kagome is right. We are here to discuss the project, not get sidetracked into other business. He glanced sharply at Yash.
 
After that initial bump in the beginning, the rest of the meeting progressed smoothly or as smoothly as possible with the disgruntled group. Kagome sat there trying to avoid eye contact with Yash while the hanyou kept making sarcastic remarks and glowering at Kazuki, silently vowing to disembowel the bastard as soon as he had the chance. Kazuki pointedly ignored the other hanyou. Rini constantly looked towards Sesshomaru to gauge how her boss was handling the situation and trying to follow suit. Dr. Watanabe smiled mockingly at their guests, trying his damn best to flare the flames between the two hanyou. Dr. Nishi was the only one trying to keep the meeting on track, doing most of the talking and asking questions about the research. After a very long hour, the meeting was coming to a conclusion, and Sesshomaru braced himself for the fireworks that were yet to come.
 
“The work you have done over the past five years is very commendable,” he began. However, it has come to our knowledge that the Hatanaka Corporation has been conducting their own research into hanyou transformations and is launching their findings in two months.”
 
“But their project is inconclusive, argued Kazuki. They are using moth youkai DNA to fuel their transformations. Our studies show that moth youki is too volatile and will not hold the transformations long enough.”
 
“It may be so, but they are preparing to release their findings. Once they do, this will turn the attention of the youkai business community onto the Takahashi Group. They will wonder why we have not released our results, our incomplete results,” he emphasized.
 
Kagome flinched at the jab. “Our team is already working relentlessly and putting in too many hours as it is,” she protested. “We can't ask them to do anymore.”
 
“That is precisely why we are giving you a new team to work with.”
 
“What?!” Kagome and Kazuki said at once.
 
This project has been elevated to priority status, and it must be expedited for obvious reasons. We need the best possible team working on this.
 
“Kagome and I are the best in the field,” said Kazuki heatedly.
 
Dr. Watanabe gave a short bark of laughter before challenging, “How can she,” he raised a finger at Kagome, “be the best in a field meant for youkai, especially a human girl.”
 
Kagome's a miko, a powerful one at that,” snarled Kazuki, jumping in to defend his friend.
 
“A miko,” jeered Dr. Watanabe. We have many miko working for us. What makes her so special?
 
“Because she is the only human who has survived two attacks by this Sesshomaru,” reprimanded the inu-youkai grimly.
 
Dr. Watanabe gasped as he stared at Sesshomaru, opening and closing his mouth like a gaping fish. Dr. Nishi and Rini both looked at Kagome in awe as InuYasha scowled and looked straight ahead.
 
Kagome avoided looking at Kazuki. She knew he was going to want an explanation later for that one. She addressed Sesshomaru, We have worked very hard on this project and will continue to do so. We are almost there.”
 
Almost is not good enough,” Sesshomaru countered. “You need a better team of people to assist you in your efforts.”
 
“That's not true
 
“How dare you say that
 
Because it is true. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have taken you five years with no results,” Yash cut in sarcastically.
 
Kagome clenched her fists and glared at InuYasha. As the meeting progressed, her initial trepidations turned to hurt, then to anger as InuYasha belittled and berated her, Kazuki, and their project. How dare he try to sabotage her hard work the very work she lost him for! She had enough with InuYasha's attitude. Granted, they did not part on the best of terms, but his seething hatred was uncalled for, unexplainable.
 
“It is not only the people you surround yourself with, but also the equipment,” interjected Sesshomaru smoothly. “We have state-of-the-art technology in this facility. It and its resources will be at your disposal. You will still be in charge of the project and will direct it as you see fit.”
 
“Wait a minute. What do you mean this facility?” Kazuki said hotly.
 
“You will re-locate your research here using our facilities and our people.” Sesshomaru inclined his head towards the pair sitting directly across from Kagome and Kazuki. “Juro and Sakura will be on your team.”
 
Dr. Nishi smiled brightly. “We would be honoured working with you. The research you have been conducting is fascinating and I, for one, am excited to be on your team.”
 
Dr. Watanabe snorted, but remained silent at the warning glance from Sesshomaru.
 
“We already have a team, a damn good one,” Kazuki protested one last time.
 
“But not as good as us,” Dr. Watanabe answered smugly.
 
Sesshomaru contemplated a moment before turning to Dr. Watanabe and Dr. Nishi. “Juro, Sakura, thank you for attending this meeting. You may go back to your work. I believe we can finish up our discussion here without you.” He glanced pointedly at Juro who flushed under the scrutinizing stare of the inu-youkai.
 
Dr. Watanabe and Dr. Nishi stood up and bowed before they exited the room. Yash made to get up as well, but was stopped by a short growl, “Yash, you stay.”
 
Yash glared at his brother and flopped back down on his seat.
 
Sesshomaru turned to his secretary. “Rini, please take these files and have copies made.
 
Yes, Mr. Takahashi. The weasel youkai took the folders held out to her and bowed before hurrying from the room.
 
Sesshomaru waited until the door was closed before he turned his attention back to Kagome and Kazuki. Let me make myself clear. This matter is not up for discussion. If you wish to continue to lead this project, you will do so from here and work with whomever we choose,” he said with finality.
 
“Is that a threat?” challenged Kazuki. He stood up, palms on the table, and leaned towards Sesshomaru. “I don't take idly to threats. This is our project and damn if I let you take it from us.”
 
“Kaz…” Kagome said nervously, eyeing Sesshomaru.
 
Sesshomaru leaned back and stared at Kazuki. A smiled played on his lips. “Dr. Matsumoto, you have an uncle, I believe, a Mr. Haru Matsumoto who's a general in our National Army.
 
“Yes.” Kazuki answered suspiciously. “What does that have to do with this?”
 
“I know him rather well, a very formidable adversary. Tell me, Dr. Matsumoto, do you take after him or your father?”
 
Kazuki weighed the question before answering, “Both. I am both a scholar like my father and a fighter like my uncle.”
 
A fleeting smile left Sesshomaru's lips. “I see.”
 
Keh, stop beating around the bush, Sess. Just tell them that we're taking over the project with or without them,” snapped Yash.
 
Sesshomaru glared at Yash but inwardly he sighed. Yash was right. When the hell had he become so placating? 500 years ago, he would have demanded instant compliance. Anyone who did not do his bidding without question would have been at the receiving end of his poison claws. He must be getting soft. Looking up, he caught Kagome smiling wryly at him as if she was thinking the same thing.
 
Kagome gripped Kazuki's arm and pulled him slightly to sit back down.
 
Kazuki turned to frown at his partner. Kags, you think we should listen to these two? This is our project. Like hell I'm going to just hand it over to them.”
 
“I don't think that it's their intention to take it away from us. She looked over at Sesshomaru who nodded slightly. “I think we just need to calm down and discuss this rationally without our emotions getting in the way.” Ha! Easy for her to say when her own emotions were raging out of control. She just hoped that she could control the rapid beating of her heart enough not to be noticed by the youkai in the room.
 
She dispensed all formalities. Sesshomaru, please excuse us if we do not seem grateful. We are. Without the Takahashi Group's investment, our project would not have gotten off the ground in the first place. We do not mean to be contradictory. You just caught us by surprise. We were on the premise that we were brought here to update you on our research, not to be told that we had to finish our project here in Japan.” She glanced quickly at Kazuki. “Of course, we wish to continue working on this project. It's important to us to finish it.”
 
Keh, nothing is more important to you than your work, now is it? Yash said snidely.
 
Kagome gulped and paled at his words. This time, the jab was too close to the truth, too close to the guilty whispers that she heard in her heart in the darkness of the night.
 
She squeezed Kazuki's forearm to repress the sharp retort she knew was on his lips. Closing her eyes briefly, she swallowed the lump in her throat. Ignoring Yash's derogatory remark, she continued to address Sesshomaru, “How long do you expect us to stay here?”
 
Sesshomaru gave an elegant shrug. “As long as it takes to find a solution. Our advisors inform us that we should make counter statements to the Hatanaka Corporation's findings in two months.”
 
Kazuki gave a frustrated sigh. Two months? You expect us to complete this in two months? Something we've worked on for five years?”
 
“Yes.”
 
Kazuki looked at him incredulously. “You're asking the impossible.”
 
“Perhaps, but it will be done and,” he braced himself for the other explosion, “Yash will oversee the project.”
 
“What the fuck?!” yelled a very livid hanyou. “You've got to be kidding me! There's no way in hell He stopped in mid tirade by the look Sesshomaru gave him.
 
“Yash, you will be charge. You are a hanyou. You, like all hanyou,” he looked over to include Kazuki, “have the greatest stakes in the success of this project.
 
Yash bit back his furious retort. Damn sadistic bastard.
 
“You just said Kagome and I would be in charge.” Kazuki was rallying up for another outburst.
 
“You will be in charge of the research on a daily basis,” Sesshomaru confirmed. “It is yours to run as you see fit. Yash will simply oversee the project and be given daily reports on your progress.”
 
“A watchdog, eh?” Kazuki grinned evilly at Yash. “How appropriate.”
 
“What the hell does that mean?” Yash snapped at the insult thrown at him.
 
“Nothing, nothing at all.” Kazuki held up his hands, but couldn't contain the smirk on his face.
 
Keh…” Yash looked away, trying to steady his nerves. The more the meeting progressed, the more he couldn't keep his eyes of Kagome. She looked so damn good. Her dark, luxurious hair was held up in a bun, but he could remember the silky feel of her tresses; of running his hands through her hair as he kissed her luscious full lips. The way her eyes smouldered with desire… damn! He had to get these fucking thoughts out of his head! Seeing her interact with that Kazuki bastard was unbearable. His youki was raging a war inside of him, and his nerves were stretched to the limit. He was as taunt as a bow string, and any little thing would snap him. It took every ounce of his self control not to grab Kagome and rip Kazuki into shreds. He thought he could handle this, but as the meeting progressed he felt his resolve erode away.
 
“Now, if we are done discussing the project. Sesshomaru leaned towards Kagome. “I would like to know how it is that you are here, Kagome.
 
Kagome tensed. She didn't even pretend ignorance of what the inu-youkai was asking. The last time he had seen her was 500 years ago when they defeated Naraku. To suddenly show up in his future must have been a little unnerving, even for a powerful youkai like Sesshomaru. Kagome nervously gnawed her lower lip. “Well, it's a rather long story
 
“She fell through a fucking well and went back 500 years, that's how, “hissed Yash.
 
Kagome shifted her eyes to Yash and met his anger. Her eyes shone bright with unshed tears. “Why are you being so mean, InuYasha?” She didn't mean to blurt that out. She couldn't help herself. There was only so much insult and innuendoes she could take, especially from him whom her heart had never forgotten.
 
Keh, you should know, bitch.”
 
Now look here you asshole, don't talk to Kagome like that!” shouted Kazuki, slamming his fists down onto the table.
 
“I can call her whatever I damn well please!” Yash roared back, his thinly veiled emotions exploding. All the pent up anger and bitterness inside of him spewed forth like an erupting volcano. He abruptly pushed his chair back and stood up, towering over Kagome. “I don't fucking like the idea of you working for me. If I had my way, you would be sent back to Canada. You fucking left me and I won't ever forget that!” He had to get out of there before he did something truly unforgivable and foolish. He stormed towards the door.
 
Kagome choked out, “InuYasha, I'm sorry —”
 
He whipped around, his eyes ablaze in anger. “Don't be sorry. Don't be anything!”
 
He ripped the door off of its hinges and stormed out, leaving a shocked silence in his wake.
 
Rini stood in the doorway as the angry hanyou pushed past her, mouth opened in surprise.
 
Sesshomaru sat there calmly and looked shrewdly at the young miko. No, he did not know what went wrong with the couple. There was a time when his brother would have died for the miko, and the miko would have defended him until the ends of time. It looked like that had all changed. When his brother showed up on his western lands, 500 years ago without the miko, he simply thought she had died. This idea was re-enforced when InuYasha refused to speak about her. It was like she simply did not exist. Obviously, she did not die. She was simply from the future which was now, of course, their present. How interesting.
 
Kagome sat, shocked at the violent outburst from Yash. Guilty threads of sorrow weaved through her heart, latching onto her, and pulling her down into the dark recesses of her soul. Her lips began to quiver as she shakily asked where the washrooms were located.
 
Rini looked at her in sympathy as she directed the distressed young woman down the hallway. Kagome excused herself and walked out of the room, trembling as numbness seeped through her body.
 
Sesshomaru and Kazuki followed her. Both felt the waves of torment flowing from the girl's aura.
 
“Kagome ” Kazuki reached his hand out helplessly as he watched his friend bolt down the hall.
 
“Kagome.” Sesshomaru's voice was quiet, but its authority carried down the hallway.
 
Kagome stopped at the command from the inu-youkai.
 
“I do not know what happened between you and my brother. You know his temper and the way he shoots his mouth off. He does not always mean what he says. You, of all people, know this.
 
Kagome didn't turn around, but nodded slightly, her voice quivering, “Thank you, Sesshomaru.”
 
Sesshomaru watched as she continued down the hallway, not stopping until she reached the washroom. Damn you, Yash. He would have to talk to that baka brother of his, but he had better wait until he calmed down or else they might re-live one of their infamous battles. How the gossip mongrels would love that.
 
Pulling the door open, Kagome went into a stall and promptly threw up her breakfast. She convulsed several times, heaving until her throat was raw. She slid down onto the floor, her eyes dry and her heart broken. The expression that fleetingly appeared on Yash's face while he raged at her would forever be etched in her mind. It was despair. He couldn't forgive her. He couldn't forget that she had left him for a job. The betrayal. Oh, Kami, what had she done? After 500 years, he still hated her.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Yash stomped back into his office, slamming his door so hard that a few cracks appeared at the corners.
 
Bloody fucking bitch! Why the hell did she have to show up and fuck up his life again! Yash gripped the edges of his desk, his clawed fingers raking deep gouges into the shiny surface. He clenched his eyes trying to fight off the onslaught of fury and jealousy that was threatening to overwhelm him. He was not fucking jealous. To be jealous, he would have to care, and he didn't care, dammit! He didn't care what she fucking did and who she did it with. A red haze clouded his eyes at this last thought. That fucking Kazuki bastard! If he had stayed there one second longer, he would have ripped that bastard's heart out. Tear it out like his was torn out so many long years ago.
 
He slowly lessened his grip on the table, his breath coming out in ragged spurts. What the hell was wrong with him? He thought he could handle seeing her again. Yet the moment he stepped into that room, all rationale faded away, and he was the uncertain, scared hanyou that he used to be. As he sat in the meeting, deep rooted feelings of rejection poured out of the depths of his soul. 500 years later, and he still couldn't let go.
 
But, shit,she's the one who fucking left me for another man! Now I'm supposed to forget that she broke my fucking heart and just forgive her? No fucking way! I should just fire her. Take that precious project away from her. See how she'd like that.
 
But but, I can't fucking do that. That's petty and mean and shit! She'd be so hurt.
 
So, who fucking cares? I don't!
 
Yash waged an inner war with his emotions. Part of him wanted to strike out at Kagome, to hurt her as much as she hurt him. The ugly feelings reared their heads demanding payment for the pain endured. But the other part, the part that had once shielded Kagome from all dangers, recoiled at the thought of ever hurting the girl he had once sworn to protect.
 
For someone who had suppressed all of his emotions for centuries, it was all coming down to a grinding halt. He had always buried his feelings, never once confiding in anyone. After all, Kagome was the only person he could ever talk to about such things.
 
He didn't know what to do.Yash grabbed his head, his claws squeezing into his skull as if he could crush the answers out.
 
Fuck! If he didn't get out of here, he would go crazy. With that thought, he yanked open the door and headed towards the adjoining woods. He had to get outside; he had to run. Whether he was running from Kagome or from his inner demons, he didn't know. He just knew he had to get out of there.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Forty-five minutes later, Kagome emerged from the washroom, pale and listless.
 
Kazuki was waiting for her in the hall. He immediately went to her and hugged her. “Kagome? Kagome, are you okay?”
 
He stared worriedly at her ashen face, at the blank look she was giving him. “Kagome, talk to me. Snap out of it.” He shook her slightly.
 
Hearing Kazuki's concern broke the dam around Kagome's heart, and tears streamed down her face as she buried herself in his arms.
 
Kazuki gently steered her towards the elevator. Leaning against her friend, Kagome managed to move her feet. She didn't recall how she got there, but she found herself in the front lobby. She exited the main doors, strong steady hands guiding her.
 
The lack of sleep and the shock of the meeting finally took its toll on Kagome. The grief threatened to overwhelm her and pull her down a path of desolation. She clung onto Kazuki as if he was her saviour. She felt as if a tidal wave that would sweep in and drag her down into the murky depths of her tattered soul.
 
Kazuki guided the sobbing girl into the waiting car and held her as they sped back to the hotel. He cradled her as if she was fragile glass about to shatter into a million pieces. He whispered assurances in her ear, hugging her close. Rocking her like a child, Kazuki continued to hold her long after she fell into an exhausted sleep. He wished that he had the power to cure her broken heart and felt helpless as he watched his best friend mentally, emotionally, and spiritually break down.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Yash ran. His hair whipped in the wind and his breath was ragged with grief. He ran as if demons were chasing him, and perhaps they were. After a while, he slowed down until he found himself walking back to the building.
 
He remembered the way they had parted in the Feudal era. The way he had clutched at her, begging her to stay. The image burned into his mind. Yash clenched his fists and his jaw tightened.
 
When he first entered the room, he saw unbridled joy light up in her as if she was happy to see him. It was all a farce. If she had picked him, if she would have loved him more, she would never have left him. She never would have declared her love for another man. She never would have sealed the well. He was tired tired of these games that shattered his heart into little pieces.
 
The anger drained away leaving him feeling deflated and empty. He sighed wearily as he trudged his way back into his office. He ignored the secretary as she tried to relay Sesshomaru's message that he wanted to see him.
 
He walked over to the window and stared out, seeing only images from his past. He was still standing there as the sky turned a crimson red. Hours after the sun set, Yash wearily pushed himself off the wall and headed home. It wasn't until much later, in the privacy of his home, drenched in darkness, Yash finally gave into the despair.