InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ You're Still the One ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
I also don't own Starbucks, Mountain Equipment Co-op, or Gore-Tex.
Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
You're Still the One
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
With a grin he turned and sauntered away, but stopped when Kagome's quiet voice reached him. Kaz, thanks for being such a good friend.”
 
You're welcome. Anything for you darling,” he threw over his shoulder. Smirking, he exited out the door.
 
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
After the meeting, Yash meant to keep his distance from Kagome. He promised himself that he would let Kagome be and set her free of any obligation she had for him. He wanted her to be happy. If that meant his own heart was slowly dying, then so be it. He would do it, for her sake. He meant to leave her alone, but his damn, traitorous feet had other ideas as he walked over to the window which overlooked the facilities' grounds.
 
It had become Kagome and Kazuki's daily ritual to walk the grounds every morning before starting work, drinking their Starbucks coffee. It had become Yash's daily ritual to watch them walk the grounds every morning, drinking their Starbucks coffee. Shit. If Sesshomaru knew what I was doing, he would throw a fit.
 
Shaking his head ruefully, he smirked to himself. Multi-millionaire Yash Takahashi, co-owner of the largest corporation in Japan, was reduced to spying on his research chairs like a little kid. Okay, so one of them happened to be his ex. So, it really wasn't spying. It was more like stalking. Shit. Definitely don't let Sess find out.
 
With a sigh, he pushed himself off the wall to start his own work day.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
It was Thursday, and Kagome hadn't seen InuYasha since their Monday meeting. Granted, he didn't need daily reports. After all, there wasn't much to report. They weren't making much progress, and it seemed that they were just spinning their wheels.
 
She was on edge, and she knew it wasn't because of the project. She just couldn't get her mind off of the hanyou. She constantly looked up when their lab door opened, hoping it was him. Her heart would skip a beat every time she saw a wisp of silver hair, which in a company full of inu-youkai, was everywhere. She couldn't help it. He occupied her thoughts constantly, and she desperately wanted to see him.
 
The thought that he had his own life just wouldn't leave her. Seeing him with that wolf youkai brought out her jealous streak in full force. She was so sick and tired of seeing him in the arms of another woman. It brought forth memories of how she used to feel around Kikyo: inadequate, unworthy, second best. She hated feeling like this. Kazuki's words echoed in her mind until her stubborn, determined streak finally won out. She decided she wanted to fight for InuYasha.
 
Dammit, he used to be mine, and if I had any say in the matter, he still will be.
 
If her team members noticed her distractions, they never said anything, with the exception of Kazuki dear, dear Kazuki who knew her so well. Well, he wasn't the type to let her get away with anything and constantly teased her about it. He did it discreetly, of course. After all, he didn't want to embarrass her in front of their co-workers. Although Sakura and Fuji often wondered why Kagome's face would burst into flames after Kazuki teasingly whispered something in her ear.
 
On Friday, Kagome decided to take matters into her own hands. She went up to InuYasha's office and tentatively knocked on his door.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
It was with surprise that Yash started showing up to work, happy. He was actually smiling, as he was now, sitting in Sesshomaru's office. He had come to brief his brother on a project they had invested in overseas.
 
The baka was finally doing something right. This thought had crossed Sesshomaru's mind many times over the past week as he noticed the relative ease in which Kagome and Kazuki integrated into their company. And his brother! The way Yash was acting was like a complete turn-around. Nothing seemed to faze the hanyou anymore.
 
He had several staff members approach him, inquiring why the younger Takahashi was walking around with a perpetual grin on his face. After 500 years, Yash was happy again, and nobody knew why. Well, nobody except two individuals. Sesshomaru, of course, was one of them. The other, he suspected, was Kazuki.
 
He even tried to instigate an argument to see how his brother would handle the situation. He wasn't prepared for the laughter and nonchalant shrugs. The innuendos simply slid off of the hanyou's shoulders like water. Hmmm… and the thing that threw Sesshomaru off was that the baka had actually whistled. It rather took him by surprise.
 
Oh well, the inu-youkai sighed as the thought crossed his mind for the hundredth time since Kagome came back to Japan. At least he's doing something right.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Kagome carried two coffees and a little brown bag and briskly walked past the wolf youkai secretary. Ever since the little `incident', as Kagome liked to refer to it, she kept her distance from the wolf. Not that Kagome was scared of what the wolf would do. Rather she was scared of what she would do. She hadn't purified a youkai since the Sengoku Jidai era, and she didn't want to start now. So, she simply ignored the wolf who was shooting death looks at her.
 
“Hmmm… I had such a great time with Yash last week. He's such a great kisser,” purred the wolf into the phone, rubbing salt into Kagome's half-healed wounds.
 
Kagome squared her shoulders, mentally counted to ten, and continued into the inner offices. Smiling as she walked up to Yash's secretary, she set down a cup of coffee. “Good Morning, Mrs. Morito. How did the meeting go yesterday?”
 
The older youkai leaned over and whispered conspiratorially, “It was like being surrounded by dogs and wolves.”
 
Laughter erupted in Kagome as she knocked on InuYasha's door. At his gruntal reply, she stepped into the room. The after effects of her giggles made her cheeks flush and her eyes sparkle. This was the sight that greeted Yash as he looked up.
 
His breath caught in his throat as he watched Kagome walk over and set a coffee down at his desk. He gestured towards the ear piece he was holding. Kagome nodded, careful not to interrupt his phone conversation.
 
When Kagome first showed up last Friday with donuts and coffee, Yash simply could not resist. Since then, it had become a daily ritual for her to deliver breakfast to Yash before she started work.
 
Yash secretly waited eagerly for her to show up every morning. She didn't know that he passed three Starbucks on his way to work and that he had stopped frequenting the establishments once Kagome started her morning deliveries.
 
Yash knew that after she left his office, she would meet up with Kazuki and walk the grounds with him. It didn't even bother him anymore. After all, she visited him first. At least now, I don't have to watch from the window. I don't have to feel like I'm a stalker to catch a glimpse of her, he thought as he twirled his pen between his fingers. She not only delivered his morning breakfast, but most importantly to Yash, she delivered herself. And Yash wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. He'd take what he could from the girl.
 
Kagome watched InuYasha from the corner of her eye. Delivering donuts and coffee was a weak, pathetic excuse she used to see him every day, but, hell, it worked. That's all she cared about. It was a start, Kagome thought. There was just too much hurt between them, too much that went unspoken. Until they could clear the air, they would continue to walk on eggshells around each other. But, at least for now, they established a peaceful routine.
 
Even if she just wanted to jump on him and declare her love, she would take it slow. She would let them get to know each other again. She wouldn't give him up without a fight, she resolved. She wouldn't.
 
Kagome walked over to the photos and picked up Shippo's. She couldn't wait to see the little kitsune again. Well, he wouldn't be that little anymore, she chastised herself. InuYasha had told her that Shippo would be home soon, and she counted the days until she saw him again.
 
Yash watched the girl, half listening to the voice on the other end of the line. He felt a twinge of guilt as he noticed the circles that began to darken under her eyes. He pushed the feeling away as he followed her movements with half hooded eyes. Damn, she has her hair pinned up again. His gaze travelled up her slender legs. Her thighs disappeared up a short, black skirt …
 
Damn, who the hell is on the phone again? Shit. He mumbled something he hoped was intelligible into the phone as he continued to observe Kagome with predatory eyes.
 
She must have a meeting today, he smirked. Usually she showed up to work dressed in something she called `gortex' and `fleece'. She had tried explaining about the fabrics and how she bought all these clothes in a place called `Mountain Equipment Co-op', or something like that. Yash wasn't exactly listening to her as she gushed on and on about the place. He was too busy watching how her lips moved when she accentuated her words.
 
His brother had commented about the way his two research chairs always dressed like they were about to hike up a mountain. Yash had to laugh at Sesshomaru's chagrin. But, the inu-youkai had to hold his tongue when he realized the late nights those two spent in the lab. After all, comfort won over protocol. And Sesshomaru and Gourou were the ones who wanted a solution quickly. Another stab of guilt grabbed at Yash, but he shook it off.
 
Yash hung up the phone as Kagome came over and stood in front of his desk.
 
Leaning forward, he tried to peek into the bag. “What did you bring me today?”
 
Kagome whipped the bag up and brought it to her chest. “Nuh uh, you have to guess.”
 
It had become their little game for Yash to guess what type of donuts Kagome brought every day.
 
Yash rolled his eyes, but complied. He leaned back into his chair. “Chocolate and honey glazed.”
 
“Hmmm… partially right on the chocolate.”
 
At his mock scowl, she laughingly gave in. With a show of flair, she lifted a boston cream donut out of the bag and placed it onto a napkin. She stepped back and waited.
 
“Sprinkles?”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Vanilla frosting?”
 
“Guess again.”
 
“Honey glazed.”
 
Kagome laughed. She put her hands behind her back and slightly rocked on the balls of her feet. “You've already guessed that.”
 
Yash growled, “Blueberry.”
 
“That's not a donut flavour.”
 
“It is a donut, right?” he asked suspiciously.
 
The one time she had surprised him with a healthy bran muffin. He grimaced and reluctantly choked it down, complaining every second. Kagome just giggled and cajoled him into eating healthier. He teasingly growled that if she was delivering healthy foods, she could skip him.
 
She laughingly agreed to stick to donuts, although she did manage to sneak in the occasional scone or muffin. At times when she did, InuYasha would simply shoot her a look and eat the offensive baked goods without further complaint. Secretly, he would have put anything she brought into his mouth and swallowed it down, but he wouldn't tell her that.
 
“Yes, it's a donut.” Kagome laughed brightly breaking into the hanyou's thoughts.
 
“Lemon filled.”
 
“Nuh uh.”
 
“Maple walnut.”
 
“Not even close.”
 
“Sugar.”
 
“Nope.”
 
“Caramel, cinnamon?”
 
“No and no.”
 
Yash threw his hands up exasperatedly. “Okay, I give up. Do I still get it?”
 
Kagome giggled as she lifted out a donut with white and pink frosting. She placed it on the napkin beside the other one.
 
“Hey! It's got vanilla frosting on it. My guess should have counted,” protested the hanyou.
 
“Oh, don't complain. You still get the donut. I should start bringing you scones again.”
 
At his scowl, she grinned like a Cheshire cat. “Okay, okay, donuts. Just don't ask me to bring you ramen for lunch.”
 
“Hey, that's not a bad idea ...”
 
Kagome narrowed her eyes, “InuYasha…”
 
He wagged his brows at her. “I am the boss.”
 
“Humph.” Kagome turned to go, but she couldn't hide the wide smile gracing her lips. “Have a nice day, Mr. Takahashi.”
 
Her laughter floated out the door.
 
Chuckling, Yash looked down at his desk and froze at the image on the culinary treat. Kagome had gotten him the special donut of the month, one in recognition of the western holiday, Valentine's Day.
 
It was a heart.