InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox: The Power of Letting Go ❯ Miko on a Rope ( Chapter 11 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: InuYasha is owned by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan Inc. and Viz Media.
Story and all original characters created are owned by me.
 
 
 
Miko on a Rope
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Chuckling, Yash looked down at his desk and froze at the image on the culinary treat. Kagome had gotten him the special donut of the month, one in recognition of the western holiday, Valentine's Day.
 
It was a heart.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Yash Takahashi was guilty.
 
He had a little secret that he was keeping from Kagome just one little thing that was vital to the success of the project. Oh, who was he kidding? It was the missing link she was so desperately seeking, and he knew what it was. The problem was that he didn't want to tell her. He meant to tell her. In fact, he actually tried to in the beginning, but the more he thought about it, the more he decided to keep silent.
 
So, he watched as Kagome struggled day in and day out, as the lab lights burned deep into the night and the fatigue started to settle in. He watched as guilty threads began to weave into his heart.
 
Yes, he was guilty.
 
He knew he should just tell her. But… but he just couldn't. Not yet… maybe not ever.
 
He just wasn't ready to lose her again.
 
So, he kept his mouth shut and watched the woman he loved struggle on.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Kagome Higurashi was tired.
 
Her team was working non-stop trying to find the missing link the secret formula in which to turn the project around. What the hell was it? It floated on the edges of her subconscious and, as she tried to grasp it, it would flutter away like a thought to the wind.
 
So, she struggled on.
 
It helped that the rest of her team were youkai. They didn't require the rest that humans did, so they worked late into the night.
 
Kazuki had to force Kagome to leave the lab time and time again to get some much needed rest. After all, she was human. Her body wasn't built for the endless stamina that came so readily to a youkai.
 
It also didn't help matters that Kagome was a miko. Once that fact spread like wild fire through the complex that there was a very powerful miko on-site all of the departments scurried to get their hands on her abilities. Kagome was stretched to her limits. Every time she turned around, there was someone else who needed her assistance. Oh, please, just one little barrier? Oh, we just need your spiritual power, please. We need your opinion. We need , “Can you please
 
The requests were endless, and Kagome didn't have the heart to turn them down. That was her downfall; she simply couldn't say no.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Kazuki Matsumoto was frustrated.
 
He watched, yet again, as his research partner was pulled out of the lab in a quest to erect another barrier for another team. He needed Kagome here, helping them with their project, not galloping around assisting other departments.
 
He growled in frustration. How the hell would they ever find a solution if his partner his human partner worked herself to death, just for the small, simple fact that she couldn't say no?
 
He tried desperately to get Kagome to stop saying yes to every request, but it was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. The stubborn girl refused to deny her assistance to others in need.
 
He tried to talk to Yash about it to get the hanyou to stop the distractions, but their boss stubbornly refused to intervene. What the hell? It was like Yash didn't care or didn't want them to succeed.
 
As the days wore on, he watched helplessly as his project chair spiraled into exhaustion.
 
His next step was to go over Yash's head and straight to Sesshomaru. Perhaps the inu-youkai could step in and halt the madness that had become Kagome's life.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
“I have an appointment to see Mr. Sesshomaru Takahashi,” said the formidable figure standing in front of Amara.
 
“Yes, sir. Your name, please?”
 
General Haru Matsumoto.”
 
Amara picked up the phone to inform Rini that Sesshomaru's eleven o'clock appointment had arrived. After hanging up, she smiled at the visitor, the gleam not quite reaching her scheming eyes. “Rini will be right out to take you into Mr. Takahashi's office.”
 
She studied the visitor. Taking a well polished nail and tapping her cheek, she asked, Are you related to Kazuki?”
 
“You know Kaz?”
 
“Oh yes. We're very close friends, Kaz and I, said the wolf youkai silkily.
 
“Takumi told me my nephew was in town. Is he in today?”
 
“Yes, he's down in the Hanyou Science Department,” lied Amara. She didn't know where the hell Kazuki was, nor did she really care.
 
Rini appeared through the door and bowed. General Matsumoto, my name is Rini Youshida. Mr. Takahashi has been expecting you. Please follow me.”
 
With a slight bow, the general followed Rini into the inner offices.
 
Yash came out of his office in time to see the inu-youkai walk into Sesshomaru's office.
 
“That's Kazuki's uncle, the general, purred a voice in his ear.
 
Yash stilled. “Thanks, but I didn't ask.”
 
“Such a lovely gentleman. Told me how much he loves his nephew and can't wait to see him. How he's so anxiously waiting to meet Kagome.”
 
At the mention of her name, Yash whipped his eyes to Amara's.
 
Aha, got your attention now. Amara internally smirked.
 
“Why does he want to see Kagome?”
 
“Oh, Kazuki's father told him all about how close Kazuki and Kagome are. You know, how the little human scientist captured his nephew's heart and all that.” She waved her hand casually. “How the whole family is waiting for the two of them to settle down. You know, that sort of thing.” Her conniving little mind was working overtime.
 
She continued on, pretending not to notice Yash's discomfort. “Both of them being scientists, they must have soooo many things in common. Kagome Matsumoto - has a nice ring to it, don't you think?”
 
Amara slyly glanced at Yash and sneered at his expression. The normally strong hanyou looked like he was ready to crack. And I'll be the one picking up the pieces. She smirked triumphantly as she turned and headed back to her desk. Gotcha.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
Yash was still rooted to the spot, lost in thought, as Sesshomaru walked out of his office a few minutes later with General Matsumoto in tow.
 
“General, my brother, Yash Takahashi. Yash, you remember General Haru Matsumoto.”
 
Yash and the General bowed politely to each other.
 
“Yash, I was about to show Haru around our facility. We are just heading down to see his nephew, Kazuki. Perhaps you would like to join us since you are in charge of their latest project?”
 
It was raised as a question, but Yash knew better. His brother's look plainly said, join us or else.
 
Yash sighed and pasted a smile onto his face. “I'd be happy to join you on your tour.” One good thing about this, at least I get to see Kagome.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
“Kagome, go to bed.”
 
Kagome rubbed her eyes tiredly. “No, Kaz, I'm fine.”
 
“Yeah, real fine. You're practically falling asleep on your feet,” Kazuki said sarcastically.
 
“I'll be fine, really.”
 
Kagome leaned over to pick up a vial and stumbled.
 
Kazuki reached out quickly and grabbed his friend by the waist. Supporting her, he scowled down. “Yeah, you're real fine, Kags. You can't even stand up, much less function properly. I'm not going to repeat myself. Go home and get some sleep. Now.”
 
“I can't, Kaz. We have so much to do today. The vials
 
“Ack!” Kagome was abruptly swept her off her feet as Kazuki picked her up. Carrying her against his chest like a small child, he strode to the door.
 
“Kaz, put me down!”
 
“Not a chance. If the only way to get you home is to carry you, so be it.
 
“Kaz!”
 
Kazuki looked down, his expression broke no argument. “Kagome. Shut up.”
 
Kagome opened and shut her mouth indignantly. “Did you just tell me to shut up?
 
Not breaking his stride, Kazuki punched the elevator button. “Yes. You can bitch and moan all you want. You're still going home.”
 
He looked down at her and his expression softened. “Kags, you need to sleep. You're worn out. You're no good to me in the lab if you're stumbling around breaking all of the vials. Now let me take you home. You can get some rest and then come back later, okay?”
 
When she opened her mouth to protest, he leaned in until his face was mere inches away from hers. “Don't.”
 
Kagome slumped into his arms, resigned.
 
“Go to sleep, Kags. I'll get you home safe and sound, I promise.”
 
Relaxing against her friend, Kagome took a deep breath. It felt so good to just unwind. The last few weeks finally took its toll on the young woman as exhaustion consumed her body, and she closed her eyes.
 
You know, Kags, maybe we should just put a bed in ” Kazuki looked down at the woman in his arms. She had finally succumbed to sleep.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
The elevator doors opened.
 
Kazuki looked up to three pairs of startled eyes as three youkai filed out of the elevator.
 
General Matsumoto was the first to break the silence. “Kaz, my boy. What are you doing?” He peered closer at the woman in his nephew's arms. “Is that Dr. Higurashi?”
 
Kazuki greeted his uncle. “Hello, Uncle. Yes, this is Kagome. He nodded slightly before casting a weary glance at the other two youkai.
 
Sesshomaru raised an eyebrow. “Kazuki, what are you doing?”
 
Kazuki shifted Kagome in his arms, and a slight sigh escaped the young woman's lips as she snuggled closer to him. “Kagome is tired. I'm taking her home.”
 
He moved to go past the three, but stopped at Sesshomaru's question. “Why is Kagome sleeping?”
 
His nerves at a breaking point, Kazuki willed himself to take a deep breath before turning to address the inu-youkai in a tightly controlled voice, “Because this is what happens when a human goes with only three hours of sleep, working her ass off on a project with a two month deadline. Because all of your damn departments won't leave her alone, and she just can't say no to them. On top of that, she plays delivery girl, fetching fucking donuts every morning.” At this last bit he glared at Yash, who had the decency to look ashamed.
 
Sesshomaru spared a glance at Yash at the donut part.
 
“Look, Sesshomaru, Kagome's running on fumes
 
“Fumes? Is she a car?”
 
Kazuki rolled his eyes. “No, Uncle. That's just an expression. It means she's reached her limits and she's exhausted. Obviously, since she hasn't woken up with all this jabbering around her.”
 
Yash kept his eyes adverted. He had remained silent throughout the whole exchange; his fists gripped tightly at his sides. He was trying frantically to hide his raging emotions. He didn't know what he felt more of: guilt or anger.
 
The guilt was consuming him at seeing the haggard look on Kagome's face, even in sleep. The other part of him wanted to rip Kagome right out of Kazuki's arms. Fuck! He couldn't stand seeing his Kagome in another man's embrace. It was killing him!
 
Mastering his heated blood, Yash said tonelessly, “Kazuki, take Kagome back to her apartment and make sure she gets some rest.”
 
Kazuki paused and studied the other hanyou's expressionless face. Finally, he gave a curt nod and turned around to stroll into the elevator.
 
As soon as the elevator doors closed, Sesshomaru turned and pinned Yash with a look.
 
Yash cringed at his brother's pointed glare. He'd have to tell Sesshomaru the truth. Shit.
 
 
 
-x-x-x-x-
 
 
 
The rest of the general's tour passed in relative silence, at least on the part of the hanyou who quietly followed along. After what seemed like hours to Yash, they finally bid the general good-bye, with Sesshomaru inviting Haru to a family dinner on Saturday.
 
Great, fucking family dinner. He'll expect me there too. Fuck, Sesshomaru.
 
It was in silence as the Takahashi brothers watched the general leave. It was in silence as they ascended the elevator up to the top floor, and it was in silence as the hanyou followed his brother into his office and slumped into a chair.
 
Stolen moments. That's how Yash thought of the last couple of weeks with Kagome. Well, a few stolen moments were better than nothing. He just wished he could have had more time, like forever.
 
When the silence became deafening, Yash looked up at Sesshomaru and got caught in the intense amber gaze that regarded him.
 
What the hell is the baka up to? Kagome is working herself to death and you knew about it. What the hell is going on?
 
Yash looked out the window, and exhaled a soft sigh and proceeded to tell Sesshomaru the truth. After he hesitantly explained all that he knew, Yash waited for the explosion. He wasn't disappointed.
 
“You baka, you jeopardized not only the project, but Kagome's life? I thought the miko meant more to you than that.”
 
“She does! Don't you dare say otherwise, bastard!”
 
Sesshomaru narrowed his eyes. “Yash,” he growled warningly.
 
“I-I just didn't want to lose her,” he reluctantly admitted.
 
Sesshomaru leaned back into this chair. Explain.”
 
Yash looked away, trying to hide the pain in his eyes. Kagome's going to marry Kazuki.”
 
Sesshomaru silently contemplated his brother. “Kagome has told you this?”
 
“No... not yet.”
 
“Then how can you be sure of this?”
 
“I just know, dammit! Okay?! Enough of the grilling. Trust me, it's going to happen.”
 
“And you are not going to do anything about it?”
 
“What the fuck does that mean?”
 
“You love Kagome, stated the inu-youkai matter-of-factly.
 
“You don't understand, Sess. She loves someone else. I have to be the better man and let her go.
 
You would do that without a fight?
 
Yash slanted his eyes. “Keh, you're one to talk. What about Rin?”
 
“What about her?” snarled Sesshomaru.
 
“She would never have gone into the village if you didn't let her go.”
 
We are not talking about Rin.”
 
“It's the same damn thing, Sesshomaru, and you know it.”
 
Sesshomaru placed his palms on his desk and leaned in to sneer, “It is not the same thing, baka. She was a child to me. I wasn't going to marry her.”
 
“But you still loved her.”
 
Sesshomaru regarded his brother stonily. “Leave Rin out of this.”
 
“And you fucking stay out of this,” Yash shot back.
 
The two sat in stilted silence as a battle of internal wills took place.
 
Finally, Yash rubbed his face tiredly. Just stay out of this, Sesshomaru. This is what Kagome wants. She's marrying the man she loves, and who the hell am I to stand in her way?”
 
Sesshomaru was about to reply but then simply shook his head. Damn baka, he's too stubborn to listen to reasoning.
 
Sesshomaru dismissed the hanyou with a reminder of Saturday dinner.
 
Shooting his brother a dark look, Yash paused at the threshold. “What are you going to do about the project?”
 
Leave everything to me.”
 
Sesshomaru sat pondering after Yash left his office. After a few moments he picked up the telephone. “Rini, get the Kitsune Temple in China on the line. I need to speak to Shippo Takahashi.”
 
It was time for some intervention.