InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Hints, Allegations & Things Left Unsaid ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter two:
Hints, Allegations & Things Best Left Unsaid
Kagura was on her hands and knees mopping up a wonderful Riesling wine from the floor in a short black dress with her ass in the air. Imagine her joy upon looking up and seeing three very well dressed men standing over her looking down. She dropped the napkins and cursed.
 
A man in a crisp gray suit knelt down to her level. “Inuyasha, the bank must be doing quite well this quarter. Every time I turn around the help is getting more attractive and better dressed.” He caught Kagura eyes and turned on a million watt smile. She noted his white smile included two perfectly formed white fangs. Hmm…he's a wolf youki. Who knew?
 
“May I help you to your feet?” She sighed and sat up on her knees offering him her hand. He took it and pulled her to her feet. Kagura steadied herself as she surveyed the group before her.High powered Italian suites unite. I'd hate to see their laundry bill. She spared Inuyasha a quick glance. And I just bet nothing goes well with that red.
 
Kagura shook her `rescuers' hand. “Wow nice suit. Zanetti?”
 
Koga beamed and shot Sesshomaru a quick `softer side of sears my ass' glance. “Why yes it is, you've a good eye.”
 
Kagura saw Kagome was sitting perfectly still and quiet her hand hovering over her wine glass. Great she's a nervous wreck. I'll be on the phone with her all weekend listening to her bitch and moan, why didn't I talk to him. That's when the craziest thing happened and Inuyasha shifted his attention to Kagome. “May I get you another glass of wine?”
 
She looked up in his golden eyes. “Sure…” was the only word she could get out as she pushed the empty glass towards him.
 
Inuyasha snatched up the fragile stemware and deftly passed it under his nose. “Kikyo,” he ordered. “Please fetch a fresh glass of the Riesling for our lady here.”
 
Kagome melted and Kagura resisted the urge to gag. He is such a player but boy is that Kikyo pissed. She watched Kikyo stomp off in impossibly high heeled sandals. Sango covered her mouth with the back of her hand in a vain attempt to stifle her snickers. Inuyasha seated himself at their table. “And what is your name?”
 
“Kagome Higurashi” she blushed. He extended a friendly hand and Kagura noticed his well manicured claws. “I'm Inuyasha.”
“So,” Interceded Kagura. “I hear you are the new president of Securities.”
Inuyasha beamed. “Why yes. I've the greatest office.” He turned to Kagome. “You should come up and see it, assuming your work at the bank.”
“I'd do and I'd love to.”
“Good.” He moved his face closer to hers. “I'd like that.”
Just then the band started and kicked into a Big Bad Voo-Doo Daddy song. Inuyasha stood and began swaying to the beat. He offered Kagome his hand. “Hey this is retro like your dress. Wanna dance?”
“Oh I love swing.” Kagome waived at her friends as she allowed the hanyou in the bright red suit to drag her out on to the dance floor. He immediately spun her around, dipped then flipped her. Kagura watched Kagome's hair whip around her face and knew the only way she would go along with this is if she really liked the guy. Sango sighed wistfully wishing she hadn't blown off the swing lessons Kagura and Kagome had insisted on taking last year.
“Ya know” said Kagura without thinking, “That red outfit of his does have a remarkable resemblance to a Zoot suit.”
Koga burst out laughing and that's when Kagura noticed the man standing beside him. His expressionless porcelain features momentarily almost broke into a grin. She folded her arms and studied the man in the white suit. He looks so miserable. “I'm Kagura. So introductions all around then?”
“I'm Koga, headman of the wolf yokai tribe, here at your delectable service.” He gave her a heated look of naked hunger. Kagura stepped back slightly. If that isn't an invite to yea old wolf den then I don't know what is. She gave a nervous smile. “Very nice to meet you Mr. Koga.”
“The pleasure is all mine and really it's just Koga.”
“I'll remember that…This is my friend Sango.” Sango gave a small waive and Koga did a double take when he saw her dress plummeted down her bare back. Kagura turned to the mysterious silver haired stranger. “And you are?”
Koga smirked, “He doesn't like to socialize with us commoners.”
“Hush wolf. I can very well speak for myself. I am Sesshomaru.” He didn't offer a hand he just stood there gazing down at her as though she was an animal on display in the Columbia Riverbanks Zoo.
Kagura realized he had pale purple stripes along the top of his upper cheek bones and a matching crescent moon on his forehead. He's full yokai and a powerful one to boot. Maybe even a taiyokai. Check out those sexy pointed ears and that large yet understated diamond stud. Explains the attitude, he must distain having to associate with us lowly mortals.
“So Sesshomaru-sama,” said Kagura guessing at his title, “What do you do?”
He frowned and looked down at her through his lashes. “Whatever I want.”
Kagura fanned herself with her hand in an exaggerated fashion. “Well I just don't have a comment for that one. Must be nice.”
One edge of his lips tugged up ever so slightly. “It is.”
Kagura began to fan herself in earnest as now she really didn't have a response. She glanced over and saw Koga was practically drooling on Sango's bare neck. She heard the click of heels on the floor. These foot steps were fast and on a mission. Kagura glanced up and saw Kikyo making a beeline straight to her and Sesshomaru. Her expression told Kagura that she'd committed an act of war. Kagura heard Sesshomaru utterly almost soundlessly under his breath in a dry tone. “Lovely.”
He turned his golden eyes to hers and said simply, “We must dance.” He took her hand without even asking if she knew how to dance and carried her off to the dance floor. Kagura went with him fascinated by his obvious distaste for the chilly Kikyo. She looked over her shoulder and saw her expression as she realized she'd been ditched.
Sesshomaru stopped in the middle of the floor as the band switched to a cover of Cherry Popping Daddies' Zoot Suite Riot.
“WHO'S THAT WHISPERING IN THE TREES…..who's your daddy? Yes I am… Zoot Suit Riot….ROIT!…Throw back a bottle of beer.”
Kagura had just enough time to catch a breath before he linked elbows with her, tipped her back and caught her. His hand slid down her arm and caught a hold of her wrist. Then Sesshomaru whipped his arm and she flew back and he reeled her in. It took every ounce of Kagura's concentration to keep up with him. He spun her than took her into a low dip. At one point she thought she saw a flash of Inuyasha's red suit as Kagome flew by.
She gasped for breath as he pulled her close to his chest before throwing her into another spin and turn. Kagura got a glimpse of his face under the changing lights and saw his complexion was perfect not one drop of sweat. He paused just long enough for the band to strike up another song.
“OH I'M THE KING OF THE SWINGERS….OH! OH! OH! I WANNA BE JUST LIKE YOU! I wanna talk like you…walk like you. An ape like me can learn to beee human toooo…”
Her mind had just registered it was that Jungle Book song when Sesshomaru raised their hands above their heads and twisted her back to his chest. He started stamping his shoes to the beat and for a moment Kagura felt like she was on American bandstand. She looked up and for a brief moment saw their table was empty except for a very frosty Kikyo. Sango and Koga danced by but in comparison their footwork was highly conservative.
Sesshomaru released her and she kept in step with him waiving her hands above her head. He stepped up to her and wrapped his large hand around her waist and pulled her closer, his other hand was still extended and shaking with the beat.
He leaned to one side and slid Kagura down his arm. Then without warning or missing a beat he quickly threw her back over his arm and flipped her. Kagura's head swam as she flew over his arm praying that she wouldn't break her neck or flash the whole ballroom.
She landed safely as the song ended and thank the mercifully heavens, the band cut their set for a break. Her blood was rushing from her head back into her body as she realized a group of bystanders around the floor were clapping. Kagura smiled and threw a kiss to the crowd. She took Sesshomaru's cool hand in hers and executed an exaggerated bow. Her colleagues and clients cheered. She turned to leave but Sesshomaru didn't let go of her hand. Kagura paused to face him.
“Allow me to fetch you a drink.”
She was stunned. Kagura was certain this was the first time the Taiyokai had offered to fetch anyone anything. She grinned and nodded. He released her hand allowing her to hobble back to the table.
Kagome was no where in sight and Sango was sitting alone. Kagura laughed, “Where's your other half?”
Sango snorted. “Off marking his territory no doubt.”
“That is very possible. For a moment there before he spotted you, I thought he was going to eat me.”
Sango raised an eyebrow “He still might. I think he's left his options open.”
Kagura leaned on the table top. “How about that Kikyo witch? She's really something.”
“Witch? Bitch is more like it. She asked what kind of car you drove. I explained you came in cab. I think she might have wanted to key it or blow it up.”
“So that is why you went with Koga?”
A faint blush lit Sango's cheeks. “Perhaps, but what about you? You actually called him Sesshomaru-sama. That is why he danced with you I think. He likes a woman who recognizes he's in charge.”
Kagura frowned, “That seems unfair. Maybe he's just shy.”
Sango laid her open hand on the table. “Honey, no man who dances like that is shy…or straight for that matter.”
“I dunno. I think if his sexuality was in question Kikyo wouldn't be hanging off him.”
“Hmm…” Sango sipped her wine. “Good point. She's evil but not stupid.”
Kagura stretched her arms out over the backs of the chairs beside her. “So where is our little Kagome?”
Sango pursed her lips in an amused expression and pointed. Kagura turned her head and saw Kagome sitting with Inuyasha at a tiny table completely immersed in a world of their own design.
“Well looks like she got over Chris easily enough.” commented Kagura.
Sango smiled. “Chris was a prick. He deserves to have a really big house dropped on him a la Wizard of Oz.”
“I couldn't have put it better myself”
“Kagura…looks like your drink is on its way.” She glanced over her shoulder and saw Sesshomaru approaching with long confident strides carrying a glass of champagne, his silver hair swung behind him. The bar wasn't free, which was why the pitiful Miroku had been sporting his bottle of Zima. Kagura could afford to drink white wine but the elegant glass coming her way was most defiantly out of her price range. She'd bet her eye teeth that it cost more than $500 a bottle. She became uncomfortable at the notion she might be indebted to this man.
Sesshomaru paused in front of her presenting her with the champagne flute. Kagura turned on her brightest smile. “Thank you.”
“You are welcome.”
“You are an amazing dancer where did you learn to do that?”
Sesshomaru narrowed an eye. “Here and there. You have my thanks.”
“For dancing with you or helping you flee Kikyo?” This time she knew she saw the corner of his lips twitch.
“Both actually” he allowed.
Kagura leaned back and laughed, “Then you are most welcome.”
“I will speak with you later.” He gave a fast short bow and was gone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Kagome stumbled back by the table halfway through the evening. Inuyasha supported her on his arm. His expression was one of heavy lidded contentment. They collected her purse and he swept her back to his table.
Sango yawned, “If I didn't know better. I'd swear those two look as if they've been making out in a dark corner somewhere.”
“Yeah…” Kagura watched them walk away. “He's become very attached to her in a very short amount of time…”
“She's too loose with her heart. Next week he'll be the love of her life and the week after that she'll be on the verge of suicide via Ben & Jerry's.”
Kagura agreed then she stood. “Sango I'm going to visit the ladies room. I'll be back soon.”
Sesshomaru was studying his watch trying to decide if he'd stayed long enough to fulfill his family obligation as he waited in line for restroom. Kikyo appeared by his side as though she were a ghost. Or in her case a goblin.
He spared her a quick cool glance. “Yes?”
“You must find this whole scene amusing.” She commented pretending as if she hadn't noticed he'd avoided her the entire evening.
“I do.”
“Those three girls…they are simple. Not an ounce of sophistication amongst them. Your brother is making a fool of us with that Kagome girl.”
“Hmm”…
Kikyo turned to him and stuck her face in his. “I want to know. What are your feelings towards that girl in the old black dress?”
Sesshomaru's brow almost wrinkled. “Feelings?”
“Yes,” she hissed. “For that mortal dog.”
He paused, “She is a filthy human how can she ever hope to even tempt me. It's sad really…”
Kikyo let out a peel of high pitched laughter. “Ah I thought as much.” She turned then looked over her shoulder and gave a predatoral smile.
Sesshomaru followed Kikyo's line of vision and saw Kagura standing in the ladies room line behind them. She hadn't been purposely eavesdropping but it was obvious she'd still heard every single word. She bit her lip, held up her chin up high and strolled out of the line.
Sesshomaru said nothing. Then he sighed. “Kikyo?”
“Yes?” She looked up at him and batted her eyes.
“You really are a bitch.”
 
 
Sango looked up in surprise as Kagura stopped at the table.
“Wow, back so soon that line must've been really short.”
“No. I'm leaving.” Sango studied her friend.
“Are you upset?”
“No. I was just validated is all. Those yokai high rollers are no good bastards. We should warn Kagome.”
Sango shrugged. “I haven't seen her in half an hour. Might be too late for that.”
“No she's not that stupid, she's still around here somewhere.” I hope so anyway.
“Kagura, what happened?”
“He said I was a sad filthy human.”
Sango's eyes widened and her hand itched to hit something. “He said this to your face?”
Kagura bit her lip. “It worse, I overheard him tell Kikyo that. Look I'm sorry but I'm leaving. His brother is the president of Securities and I don't want to do anything I'll regret later.”
“Kagura, I'm so sorry…”
She shook her head. “No don't. I knew better than to expect something good of that yokai ass. But I liked him in spite of his superiority act. It's my fault really. I let my guard down. I won't make that mistake again.”
Sesshomaru watched the mortal girl gather her purse and exchange heated words with her friend. She strode out the door and signaled for taxi without so much as a glance in his direction.