InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ The Bigger I Laugh ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Ten: The Bigger I Laugh the Harder I Cry
 
Kagura held the eyeliner pen to her upper lid and balanced the phone on her shoulder. She was too excited to hold her hand steady and at this point she was teetering on verge of dangerous.
 
 
“Kagome, when's the last time you spoke to Sango?”
 
 
Her voice was fuzzy on the other end of the line where she was riding in Inuyasha's car. “Thursday. She has a date but I wasn't able to get his name.”
 
 
“Hmmm, I'll have to march across the street and corner her tomorrow then.”
 
 
Kagome shouted back. “Yeah and get her to call me. I wanna know too. Have fun tonight!”
 
 
“You too Batgirl!” Kagome giggled at her new nickname then disconnected.
 
 
The door bell rang and the pen slipped, missing her eyeball by a mere breath. Damn. She backed away from the mirror and saw the black line scrawled across her eyelid. Kagura blended it into her eye shadow with her thumb as she peered out the small bathroom window overlooking her front yard. A silver Rolls Royce sat in her tiny driveway. He sent a car? Hedidn't even come to pick me up?That's kind of strange.
 
She checked her face for other make up faux paus and saw she was clean. Kagura paused in front of her footed full length mirror and checked her new black, sleeveless sheath dress for wrinkles before heading down the stairs to answer the door.
 
Kagura pulled open the door without bothering to consult with her peephole. Sesshomaru stood in the doorway holding a single white rose. His black tux offered a startling contrast to his silver hair.
 
I've never seen him in anything that wasn't white! Must be a special occasion.  He lifted his hand and offered her his arm.
       
 
Kagura waved him away. “We have a few minutes and there are a couple things I have to do before we leave.” She pointed to her bare feet and he nodded.
       
 
Kagura spread her arms. “Welcome to my humble abode.”
       
 
Sesshomaru stepped over the threshold and made an effort not to get caught staring. “Did you do this yourself?”
       
 
Kagura grinned, “Hell yeah! I painted the living room red and Sango never believed it would work but…”
       
 
He finished for her. “It's perfect.”
       
 
“Yeah.” She studied a nail, “I have a flare.”
       
 
 “Did you paint this too?” Sesshomaru ran his hand over the delicate hand painted ivy vine that wound around the door frame. Kagura slipped gold hoops in her earlobes.
       
 
“Wish I could claim that one but no my sister Kanna did that.”
       
 
He leaned in examining the detail. “This isn't stenciled.”
       
 
“No. The kid's got some real talent. Those vines were nothing doing for her.”
       
 
“How old is she?”
       
 
Kagura pointed to a picture on the wall. A small girl sat on a stone garden bench. Her thin face was frowning and she leaned forward spilling pale white hair over her features. “She'll be eighteen in a few months.”
       
 
“She doesn't look like you.”
       
 
Kagura laughed, “We get that allot. She's going through some Goth phase and died her hair that color.”
       
 
Sesshomaru understood the antics of relatives. He cocked his head as he studied the photo. “She seems sad.”
       
 
Kagura leaned in the doorway and crossed her arms over her chest. “Yeah we lost our parents a few years back and I raised her. She'd be here now but she's off at the University of South Carolina. She's a sophomore.”
       
 
Sesshomaru answered, “Impressive.”
       
 
“She is. She'll be home after her exams in May to spend a few weeks with me. Then she's off to Greece to help preserve the nesting habits of sea turtles.”
       
He gave a faint ghost of a smile. “I have one just like her.”
       
 
Kagura was intrigued. “Really?”
       
 
“Rin came to me when her family died in a fire. She's a distant cousin but we were her only family. She's only eighteen and is at Julliard.”

       
Kagura smiled. “Neat. Gotta a picture?”
       
He pulled his wallet out of his tux jacket and for one brief moment Sesshomaru was as normal as any other proud parent pulling school pictures from a worn wallet. A tall girl with long black hair stood in a white debutante gown. Her smile was so large it took over her face.
 

“She's so pretty…” Kagura studied the girl. Something was odd about her. “What's she studying?”
       
 
“Music. She plays several instruments and sings.
       
 
Kagura touched the photo and instantly recognized the discrepancy. “She's…human.” She handed Sesshomaru the picture and gazed at him intensely with the silent question.
       
 
He said nothing and she bit her lip but it too was late. Her mouth opened.        
       
 
“What is she to you? A pet?”
       
 
Sesshomaru's relaxed posture straightened as he went on the defensive. “There isn't anything wrong with being human. Besides she's my ward not my wife.”
       
 
“Your ward?  What are you Bruce Wayne and she's Robin?”
       
 
He almost smiled.  
       
 
Kagura closed her eyes briefly and took a deep breath. She really wanted to see the concert but at what price?
       
 
“I know you've bought me. You found the price for my company and paid it. This wasn't a good idea. Maybe we should do this another time.”
       
 
Sesshomaru lifted his hand. “No. Why not instead call a truce. It's just one evening; it's not a lifetime commitment or even sex.”
       
Kagura's feet froze to the floor.Did he actually just use the s-e-x word? She bit her lip and thought quickly. It's just one dance; just one evening...“Fair enough, I won't even comment on your high handedness.”
        He added quickly, “And I won't call you a shrew or a jackal.”
 
        Kagura frowned. “A jackal…really?”
 

        Sesshomaru bared his teeth in a full fledged smile. “You forget but you did refer to me a dick head the other day.”

        She smiled. “Ah so I did. “But it must've really gotten to you if you are calling me a jackal.” She was proud to have chipped his invisible armor.
 
        Kagura watched Sesshomaru twirl the rose in between his thumb and forefinger. “You really were listening.”
 
        He raised a brow. “Of course.” Then he frowned.  “I listen to every beautiful woman who is out to do me harm. I've been told my blood is valuable.
 
        Kagura laughed.
        ***************************************************
Sesshomaru drove and Kagura kept watching him steer from the corner of her eye. The Rolls had white leather seats and the disposition of a small tank. It was classy and fun to ride in. One man almost fell of his bike staring at the vintage car. Earlier Kagura had been plagued with the urge to ask Sesshomaru how often he'd shut his long hair in the door. So far her self control was holding out.
 
 
Sesshomaru stole a fast look in her direction at the stop sign. “Please don't tell you me thought I didn't know how to drive?”
 
She looked away pretending disinterest. “Who moi? I never entertained such a silly notion.”
 
His tone was matter of fact. “You are a horrible liar.”
 
Kagura bit her lip then giggled. “Yeah I know.”
 
Sesshomaru answered quietly, “There is a lot you don't know.”
 
His cell phone buzzed on the dash and Sesshomaru picked it up, flipped it open and held it to his pointed ear. Kagura was uneasy but it became quickly apparent he was used to driving and talking. He maneuvered through the downtown streets without missing a beat.
 
“Dinner? Sure, we'll be there soon. You're more than welcome to stop in.”
 
“Rin is away at school but she'll be glad to hear that.”
 
“Yes. Well then I'll see you soon. Thanks.” He closed the phone.
Kagura leaned into the door as the car swung around a tight curve. Sesshomaru pulled the car to a stop in front of The Palm restaurant. He climbed out and tossed the keys to the young valet who scrambled to the car. Sesshomaru went around and opened Kagura's door. She slid over the white leather, accepted his clawed hand and allowed him to pull her from the car.
 
The maitre d' stood outside the dark wooden doors waiting for them.
 
“Sesshomaru-sama.” He bowed his head. “As always, it's a pleasure to see you.”
 
He directed them to a private booth in the back of the restaurant. Kagura was impressed. The Palm was reservation only and she'd yet to go. The room was lit by candle light and a soft but kicky jazz played from hidden speakers. The sommelier (or wine waiter) presented them with a fine bottle of pinot grigio. Sesshomaru sniffed the cork and nodded his approval then he offered it to Kagura. She shrugged and smiled indicating she trusted his judgment when in reality she didn't want to look the fool.
 
The sommelier left and the waiter returned with a third wine glass and a selection of grapes and cheeses. Sesshomaru gestured towards the third glass. “A friend of Rin's has asked to see me. He won't be here long. I hope you don't mind.”
 
Kagura shook her head. “No, it's fine.” She was dying to see how Sesshomaru behaved towards one of the girl's friends.
 
“Do you like The Palm?” He leaned his head close to hers and was practically whispering in her ear.
 
“Oh yes its great. I've been meaning to come here but have yet to make it over.” She smiled hopping she didn't look as nervous as she was starting to feel.
 
Sesshomaru cocked his head and nearly brushed the shell of her ear with his lips. Kagura felt his warm breath on her ear and her heart jumped. Down girl! She scolded herself.
 
“Perhaps when the girls are both in town we can all have dinner together. Maybe here if you like.”
 
She turned her face and nearly bumped her head with his. “I don't see why not. I must warn you though Kanna is a bit withdrawn so she's quiet.”
 
“With you as a sister I don't see how that's possible. No matter, Rin can drag a paralyzed snail from its shell with her incessant chatter.” He pushed his hair back from his face and it fell down his back in a rain of white silver.
 
Kagura laughed, “Paralyzed snail? That is quite the analogy.”
He cleared his throat. “Thank you, I think. It seemed funnier in my head.”
 
She whispered back. “That's okay I hear it happens to the best of us. Though personally between you and I, it's never happened to me. Everything I say is always witty and humorous.”
 
Sesshomaru smirked. “I see. I'll make note of that and will borrow you the next time I have to write one of those dread speeches.”
 
“Sure,” answered Kagura, “I'm always open for consultant work.” He placed his hand on her and pulled her face to his shoulder.
 
“Feel free to consult for me when ever you like” Kagura closed her eyes and breathed in the smell of his shampoo. Mmmm sandal wood…. Oddly enough this one simple act was a hundred time more intimate than the kiss she shared with Naraku. Foot steps sounded on the title floor near the secluded table.
 
She felt Sesshomaru raise his chin. “Ah, my guest has arrived.” He sat up and gestured to the seat beside Kagura. A tall, slim young man with longish dark, wavy, almost curly hair stood in front of the table. He's cute. Kanna would just love him.
 
He reached out a friendly hand and shook with Sesshomaru. “Sesshomaru-sama, it's been so long. How's Rin?”
 
“She's fine. I think she could do with a little more studying and less play.”
 
The man laughed, “I can't see that happening. Not our Rin.” He turned his intense dark brown eyes to Kagura. “Are you on a date?”
 
Sesshomaru smiled and Kagura could've sworn he seemed self-conscious for the briefest of moments. He stood.
 
“Allow me to introduce Kagura. She has the pleasure of putting up with me tonight and I believe she has a great appreciation for you work.”
 
He bowed his head and grinned with boyish embarrassment. “It's good to meet you. I'm Josh, but then I guess you already know that. How'd did you meet Sesshomaru-sama?”
 
Kagura's head did not move. Her eyes ceased blinking. He was standing less than a foot away from her; the musical genius who filled her home with light and emotion, Josh Groban. She nodded enthusiastically and scooted into Sesshomaru allowing Josh enough room to sit with them. He picked up the wine glass and took a modest sip.
 
Kagura finally found her voice but she still didn't trust it. “I met him at a party for work.”
 
“That must be some work if he came. Are you two coming to the show? I saved you your usual seats.”
 
Kagura jumped in. “We wouldn't miss it. There are no words to express how wonderful your music is.”
 
Sesshomaru laughed, “Please forgive me. I purposely set Kagura up. She didn't know you would be dropping in.”
 
“That's almost cruel.” Josh sounded serious but ruined it by laughing softly.
 
“Well you know,” said Sesshomaru, “they tell me I'm quite the bastard.”
 
Kagura turned to Sesshomaru. I don't think my heart can take another shock tonight. First Josh Groban then Sesshomaru admits he's a bastard. Wow. Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead and go home? Nah, I think I can handle this.
 
Dinner flew by. Josh declined all dairy products because it was close to show time and ate light. He answered a few modest questions and regaled them with stories of what it was like to travel with a full orchestra for three straight months on the road. It was obvious he was more of a family friend than acquaintance. Josh and Rin had gone to music lessons and done vocal work together. Before he left, Sesshomaru pulled out a CD and Josh signed it for Kagura. She shook his hand and thanked him. He left before dessert arrived to get ready for his show.
 
Sesshomaru turned to Kagura as she watched Josh slip out through the kitchen of The Palm. “Am I good or what?”
 
Kagura was full of heady wine and high on adrenaline from meeting her musical idol. “You win. You're great. I was wrong.”
 
He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to his chest. Kagura leaned back and inhaling the scent of sandalwood, added. “But you don't play fair.”
 
Sesshomaru laughed low in his throat. “That's not the first time I've been accused of that.”
 
She smiled. “I wouldn't doubt it.” Kagura felt his claw tipped fingers trace the side of her face. They paused under her chin and gently tipped it up. She closed her eyes and felt his cool, sweet lips move across hers. Just a dance, just an evening was now just a kiss…
He traced the shell of her ear with his forefinger then tested the softness of her earlobe. Kagura wondered if he was interested in her ears because they were round and not pointed like his. His clever finger traced her jaw line then trialed down her neck to her collar bone.
Sesshomaru's lips left hers and burned a soft kiss on to her neck. She shivered at the swift sharp sensation of his fangs gently grazing her skin. His breath was quick and then he pulled away to check his watch.
 
“Time to go else we'll miss the show.”
 
Kagura gazed up into his glittering golden eyes and met his heavy half lidded stare. He didn't seem to think missing the show would be such a bad idea but she'd die before she'd miss it. She stood. “Okay let's go!”
 
Sesshomaru offered her his arm and she accepted without any thoughts of Naraku or why she distained the Taiyokai so much in the first place.
 
 
The manager of the Charlotte Arena led them to their seats which were front row center against the stage. There were no better seats in the house.
 
Eventually the lights dimmed and Josh came on stage. He spotted them and waved. Kagura waved back feeling foolishly important.
 
He started with Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, a piece by Bach and it was so beautiful tears rand down her face. A woman stood barefoot on the stage playing a Stradivarius violin. She sang with Josh as she wove the bow across the stings of her priceless instrument. Kagura felt Sesshomaru's hand find and clasp hers.
 
The acoustics were perfect. Josh joked with the audience and sang a Paul Simon cover. He sounded better in person than on her stereo at home. When he got to You're Still You, he stopped in front on them and held out his hand. Sesshomaru clapped and for a moment Josh was singing only for them.
 
The drive to Kagura's house was quiet. She was so overwhelmed she had no way of sorting any of her feelings out. I need to take a step back and reevaluate everything. Her hand was wrapped around her camera. After the show they went back stage and had their pictures taken with Josh. When Sesshomaru's back was turned Josh whispered to her. “You are very lucky, I've never seen him so taken with anyone before and I've known him and Rin over ten years now.”
 
The Rolls pulled up in her driveway and once again Sesshomaru held open her door. He walked her to her front door. The full moon hung in the sky and the night while cool was pleasant. Kagura willingly leaned forward and embraced him. Sesshomaru brought his lips down hard on hers. His finger crept down her back. Confusing feelings that had nothing to do with wine clouded her head. He ran the tip of his tongue across her bottom lip and felt her smile.
 
A breeze raced past them and lifted his hair in a cloud around his shoulders. Kagura ran her fingers thought it and found it softer than she'd imagined. She left his hair and touched the pointed end of his ear. His eyes flashed and he took both her hands in his. Sesshomaru looked deep into her eyes and spoke.
 
        “Earlier I offered you a false truce.  I've not been honest with you or myself. I have feelings for you. I shouldn't but I do. I've tried to ignore them and forget you, but you dog my every step. Your friends are atrocious; your mouth runs before your brain catches up to it. You're impulsive, stubborn, rude, human and horribly middle class.
 
Yet I can't stop thinking about you. You're funny, intelligent, bold, loyal and beautiful. I should despise you for your horrendous mannerisms alone but I can't look away. Please, would you consider more? I can't be just your friend.”
**********************************************************
 
Notes:
The Palm like Jillian's is a real place.
 
I hope to God Josh isn't offended by his appearance here. If so then please let me know and I will remove you and replace you with Weird Al Yankovic who I know won't mind.
Moi is Miss Piggy's favorite word.
 
After a silence of several minutes, he (Darcy) came towards her in an agitated manner, and thus began,
In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”…..Pride and Prejudice, J. Austin
 
Mark Darcy: “I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are…” Bridget Jones's Diary 2001.