InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ This Pedestal is High ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Nine:
This Pedestal is high & I'm Afraid of Heights
 
Kagura tipped the pizza man and kicked the door shut behind her. She carried the warm box in to the kitchen and dropped it unceremoniously onto her kitchen table. Okay…pizza, paper plates and Corona. Has any other man ever had such a wonderful, leave me alone or I'll get a restraining order, dinner?
 
The door bell rang and she took a deep breath. Okay this is it. Kagura slowly opened the door and saw Miroku standing on her stoop. He wore jeans, a blue t-shirt and had a handful of daisies. It was almost… sweet.
 
“These are for you.” He held out the flowers. Kagura didn't have the heart to tell him the daises couldn't even compare to the mountain of picture perfect roses on her dining room table. “I'll put these in water. Thanks.”
 
Kagura whisked the flowers into the kitchen and filled a slender vase under the tap. Miroku followed her in with his hands in his pockets. “I'm really glad you finally agreed to meet with me and discuss things.”
 
She shrugged. “Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later.”
 
He laughed and jingled his keys, “Yeah. So where did you want to go eat?”
 
Kagura gestured to the hot pizza box with a growing grease stain on its lid. “Actually I cooked.”
 
Miroku saw the box and frowned. “Aren't you funny.”
 
“Yeah but I'm serious. Here catch!” She tossed him the bag of paper plates. He fumbled, missed and the bag brushed him against the side of his face, striking his ear. “Oww…watch what you're doing.”
 
Kagura forced a bright smile, “Oh I'm so sorry. Allow me.” She bent down and lifted the bag from the floor then passed Miroku a paper plate. “Here. Help yourself. There's Corona in the fridge.”
 
“Sounds good but I think I'll get it myself.” He headed to her fridge and she watched him struggle with the easy twist off bottle cap. “Hey Kagura, do you have bottle opener?”
 
She shook her head and plucked the cold beer from his hand. “Watch.”
 
Kagura twisted of the top and passed the Corona back to Miroku. “With all the Zima you drink how is it you didn't know how to do that?”
 
He pulled out his keychain and revealed a broken bottle cap popper. Kagura rolled her eyes.
 
They sat eating pizza in silence. Miroku reached for a paper napkin. “So have you thought about what I asked?'
 
Kagura rested her chin on her knuckles and watched him as he waited for her answer. “Which part? The children, the wedding or giving up my life?”
 
He paused thoughtfully. “All of them I guess.”
 
“Miroku I don't love you.”
 
He didn't seem surprised. He pulled out another slice of greasy pizza. “So, that takes time. You have to work at it.”
 
Okay that didn't even faze him; time for plan B.
 
“Miroku I'm not attracted to you. At all.” She held his gaze and didn't blink.
 
He sat his napkin on the paper plate. “The way I see it, you are pretty damn picky for a woman of limited options.”
 
“Excuse me?” Kagura gripped the table with her fingers willing herself not to slap him.
 
“I mean you aren't seeing anyone and time is passing you by.”
 
Kagura pursed her lips. “Yeah whatever, I will be the world's oldest hag before I marry you. I refuse to be your little wife and if you don't leave me alone you will regret it.”
 
He spat back at her. “What? Are you threatening me with your new yokai friends? I too have friends in high places so I'd tread carefully here were I you.”
 
What the hell is wrong with Miroku? He used to be such a nice guy…
 
Kagura pointed to the front door. ”I'm threatening you with the business end of my garden shovel. Now please leave.”
 
Miroku stood. “You will regret this. There are other women who'd be happy to have me.”
 
A single bead of sweat ran down her forehead. She raised her voice as she pushed him bodily towards the front door. “Great! Why don't you go bother one of them?”
 
He backed out the door. “I mean it Kagura. Shut that door and that's the end of me. I'll never give you a second thought.”
 
A slow grin crossed Kagura's lips and she slammed the door shut in his face. Molly barked from the backyard and she went to let her in the house.
**********************************************************
Wednesday, Jillian's of Concord Mills Mall:
 
Kagura smiled at the beautiful man across from her. “Why is it every time I see you we're in a mall?”
 
Naraku laughed, “What can I say. I love the smell of commerce in the morning.”
 
She causally glanced at her watch and then his Long Island Ice tea. “Hmm, seems like it's the afternoon.”
 
“Yeah well I pretty much like it all of the time.”
 
Kagura pointed to the pile of shopping bags at his feet. “Yeah I see that.”
 
“Well I was off today and I don't get out as much as I should so there you go.”
 
“Hmm...” Kagura raised a brow. “A man who likes to shop, that is suspicious.”
 
Naraku raised a finger. “Just what are you insinuating?”
 
She grinned, “Nothing and everything at once.”
 
He shook his head and his long hair moved with him. “I just don't know how to combat that one.”
 
Kagura sipped her diet coke. “So how's the heat seeking missile biz?”
 
He rolled his eyes and groaned. “God! You really know how to grab onto something don't you. I am so sorry I ever brought that up. I handle allot more than just missiles. We do computers, armor, helmets in addition to the long range weapons. Granted it ain't pretty but I'm not the devil incarnate either.”
 
Kagura's body flooded with warm relief. “I guess we did take it a little far. I'm really sorry.”
 
Naraku's hand found hers. “Think nothing of it. I'm just glad your opinion of me is high enough to see past your petty friend's misgivings.”
 
Kagura coolly replied. “They aren't petty just concerned.”
 
He nodded, “Every woman should be so lucky to have friends as concerned as yours.”
**********************************************************
Lunch was a burger and it took the kitchen an hour to get it out. Kagura was fuming. “My day is so shot now. Damn it! I know better than to eat here but I do anyway. What's wrong with me?”
 
Naraku signed the credit card slip. “Not a damn thing that I can see `cept you like to break out and have fun once in awhile.”
 
“I guess. So what now? I've missed my meeting so now I am free until five.”
 
“What's at five?” He leaned in across the table giving her his complete attention.
 
“I have a three way call scheduled with my sister Kanna and her biology professor.”
 
His eyes narrowed. “Why can't your mother do it?”
 
Kagura looked away. “We lost our parents and I raised her.” She sighed and turned back. “Kanna's going to Greece this summer to save sea turtles and we need to discuss the specifics.”
 
“So just how old is the little sis?”
 
Kagura rolled the paper from her straw into a ball. “Sweet seventeen.”
 
“Wow, you know I like them young.” Naraku laughed.
 
Kagura flicked the paper ball at him and scored a direct hit on his nose. “Over my dead body. So did I tell you how I was Skee Ball champ back in college?”
 
They played ten rounds of Skee Ball and Kagura won nine of them. She bought Naraku a big Droopy dog with her winnings. He stood by the bar holding the ridiculous toy.
 
“Have you ever thought of sharking people at Skee Ball? I think you could do it.”
 
Kagura pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear. “Nah, usually I just play then give the prize tickets away to kids.”
 
“Ahhh that is so cute.” He mocked in a high pitched voice. “So how about black light bowling? You game?”
 
Kagura looked up at the over head clock. “I wish I could but its four thirty and I've got to fly.”
 
“I understand. Kagura I had a marvelous time.” His hand brushed the plane of her cheekbone.
 
“Me too.” She tugged on Droopy's tail.
 
“Think you'd like to do this again sometime soon?”
 
Kagura stood admiring his thick eyelashes. “Yeah I'd like that.”
 
“Good.” Naraku leaned forward and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. Kagura almost stumbled with surprise then opened her arms and embraced him. He titled his head down and kissed her again and wrapped his arms around her waist. “Next time we should go dancing.”
 
Kagura's thoughts were pulled to Sesshomaru. “You know I'm not much for dancing these days. How about a nice movie instead?”
*****************************************************< /div>
Notes:
Sorry so short but the next chapter is worth it!
Daniel Cleaver: (Bridget) I've been going crazy. I can't stop thinking about you, and thinking about what an idiot I've been. Christ, is that blue soup?