InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ If Wishes Were Horses ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter Eight: If Wishes Were Horses
Then Beggars Would Ride
 
The waiter cleared away the plates and Sesshomaru signaled for champagne. The band began to play and Kagura wasn't surprised when Inuyasha pulled Kagome to the dance floor. It was a slow song; Kagura thought it sounded like the instrumental version of an old Boys to Men number. Inuyasha spun Kagome around the dance floor then pulled her to his chest and they began to sway
 
Kagura turned and saw Sesshomaru filling a champagne flute on her behalf. He sat it in front of her. She nodded her thanks and picked it up. “Why do you come to these things?” Kagura asked.
 
Sesshomaru held his flute to the light watching the bubbles rise to the top of the glass. “I wanted to.”
 
Kagura sipped from her glass and was happy to find it was sweet and not dry. She relaxed in her chair and crossed her feet at her ankles. “But you look so miserable.”
 
He regarded her with a cool glance. “I assure you I am perfectly fine, I'm just reserved.”
 
“You are so adept at hiding your thoughts; it's hard to tell you know. You must be one hell of a poker player. She sat her glass on the table.
 
Sesshomaru cocked his head. “I don't gamble unless I know I will win.”
 
“But then that wouldn't be gambling now would it?”
 
The corner of his lips turned up in a small smile. Kagura imagined there were many people who feared the sight of that cool and calculating face smiling. “That is a valid point. I concede.”
 
Kagura threw her intentions of giving up drinking to the wind and drank more champagne. “Why are you doing this?”
 
He raised a thin dark brow. “Doing what?”
 
“Wasting time here with me, leading me on when we both know how you feel. This won't go anywhere. Your `better judgment' would never allow it.” She pulled on the collar of her kimono to make sure it wasn't slipping.
 
Sesshomaru sighed, an act until now she wasn't sure he was capable of. “Because I am cursed with an appreciation for art and beauty.”
 
Kagura closed her eyes refusing to look at him. “What does that have to do with me?”
 
Sesshomaru reached across the table and brushed her fingertips with his. “Don't you see? Everything.”
 
Kagura squeezed her eyelids tighter frowning as she did so. “But this is no good. I'll just get hurt. You won't want anything respectable with me and I refuse to be your friend.” She emphasized the word friend so that it carried with it the understood connotation of__ with benefits.
 
“I wouldn't be sitting with you if you weren't respectable. You do have the element of the ridiculous about you but I find that you are highly regarded, honorable even.” His tone was serious.
 
Kagura stood and held her purse in her hands. “I don't appreciate being toyed with. Watch my champagne I'll be back shortly.” She turned and left without waiting for a response.
 
Sesshomaru watched her leave. She has more sense than I do. I should leave her alone. He watched his silly half brother spin the girl in the ludicrous Batgirl suit around the floor. Inuyasha was insanely happy. Why was that so wrong?
 
Kagura stood in front of the bathroom mirror. How could she have feelings for him? He was slipping under her skin. She felt safe around him. When had that happened? Why hadn't her questions upset him? He answered her without any hesitation. The quiet understanding they were establishing was unsettling. Life was less complicated when she knew who she hated and why.
 
She turned on the cold water facet. She bent over the sink and lightly splashed her face with the cool spray. She looked in the mirror and saw the water droplets ruining her makeup. Kagura pulled open her purse and set about correcting the damage.
 
Kagura left the bathroom and saw the table was empty. She turned to the dance floor where Kikyo stood with Sesshomaru. She'd finally gotten her dance and he looked miserable. But that wasn't fair to Kikyo; he looked miserable most of the time so it was hard to tell when he was really suffering.
 
She felt a firm hand on her shoulder and turned to see Koga. “It seems you are without a partner.”
 
“So it would seem.”
 
“May I have this dance?” he gave a slight bow.
 
Kagura was charmed and went with him. Koga pulled her to the floor and they moved to the slow music. He wasn't an interesting dancer but he was sweet.
 
The band stopped in the middle of the slow song and kicked right into Jump Jive and Wail. Koga struggled to keep up but Kagura was still having fun. He tried to swing her out but his hand slip and she fell back.
 
Sesshomaru cleverly lined Kikyo up with Kagura. When she fell back he threw Kikyo into Koga and pulled Kagura to him. Anyone watching would have thought it was an expected and choreographed partner switch.
 
Kagura narrowed her eyes at Sesshomaru as he pulled her to him. “Miss me?”
 
“You weren't gone that long.” He replied.
 
“I don't like you.” Kagura said it softly but knew his clever pointed ears picked it up.
 
“You don't even know me.” He leaned her back into a deep dip then pulled her up.
 
“I know all I need to. Have you changed your mind about humans?”
 
He glanced away.
 
“I thought so. Then what is this?” He leaned her back and she threw her arm out.
 
She saw his jaw quiver. “It's just a dance.”
 
Kagura sighed. “If you say so.” She was grateful their costumes prevent more aggressive dancing. Then a traitorous thought occurred to her. “Say. The songs changed pretty abruptly. You wouldn't have by chanced bribed the band to immediately play this song when I came out of the restroom?”
 
He dipped her back and leaned over her smiling. Kagura knew the situation was deteriorating because the sight of a smile on those cool lips no longer seemed strange. “Perhaps.”
 
“So I was right about you.” She let him spin her around and pull her back to his chest.
 
“How so?”
 
“You will go to any lengths to get what you want.”
 
He shrugged between beats. “Why are determination and persistence qualities people always claim to admire in others when in truth they find them distasteful?”
 
“Not every aspect of life is a contest.”
 
Sesshomaru laughed low in his throat. “And that wolf boy, you think he is a challenging opponent for me?”
 
Kagura dropped his hand and stood still while the other couples moved around them. “How can you consider anyone a rival for me when you can barely stand to acknowledge me? I'm human remember and even worse, middle class. Start hanging out with me and your Yokai country club membership will be revoked.”
 
She spun on her heel and stalked off leaving him alone in the middle of the dance floor. He cares so much about appearances then let him explain that one.
 
Kagome saw Kagura ditch Sesshomaru and followed her off the dance floor. She found Kagura talking to the band leader.
 
“How much would that run me?”
 
The man was stuffed into a tux but he was obviously a rocker. He grinned wickedly and winked. “This party is dead and lady for you there is no charge.”
 
“Thanks.” She turned and Kagome was beside her sweating profusely in the vinyl Batgirl suit.
 
“So what happened?” She whispered behind a gloved hand.
 
Kagura dismissed the incident. “Nothing, he's the same man I thought he was. Why do I keep talking to him, you think I would've learned by now.”
 
“Do you think Naraku is telling the truth?”
 
Kagura thought. She was surprised that in the past two hours she'd almost forgotten about Naraku's claims. “I'm not sure. Sesshomaru is an aristocratic ass of the highest proportions but it seems out of character for him to pursue someone the way Naraku claims. I guess the jury is still out on that one.”
 
The band wound down the last song and kicked into Kagura's request. Kagome laughed and followed Kagura back to the dance floor. Sango heard the opening guitar riff and soon followed.
 
AY OH, LET'S GO!
AY OH, LET'S GO!
 
Sango shrieked, “Girl you are sooo bad!” She raised her arms in the air and all three women began hopping up and down like popcorn kernels.
 
THE KIDS ARE LOSING THEIR MINDS
 
BLITZKREIG BOP!
 
Sango and Kagura bumped hips to the beat of the double bass drum. Inuyasha jumped in and yelled something about “punk rockers” that was obscured by the loud music. He leaned forward and threw his head and hair around in true head banging fashion. His hat flew off and fell to the floor. Sango ducked and just missed getting a mouthful of his long silver hair.
 
WHAT THEY WANT, I DON'T KNOW!
 
THEY'RE ALL REVED UP AND READY TO GO!
 
Inuyasha gently slammed into Kagome who pushed him back and they bounced around the dance floor. A few other guests participated in the impromptu mosh pit. Koga watched from the sidelines with a puzzled expression.
 
AY OH, LET'S GO!
AY OH, LET'S GO!
 
The song ended and Kagome almost stumbled. She was paying dearly for jumping around in the high heeled boots. Kagura searched the crowd and Sesshomaru was notably absent. She grinned. I knew this would do it. God bless the Ramones!
 
Kagura and Sango bopped their way back to the table and then sat back with cool bottles of water. Sango held her bottle unabashedly to her chest.
 
“My God that was fun!”
 
Kagura grinned. “Yup, just like college.”
 
Sango sighed, “But it was easier then, we were younger.”
 
Kagura shook her head. “No I think back then we weighed less and had less fat to jump with.”
 
Sango nodded, “Could be.”
 
The band ended the set and went on break. The announcement for the charity auction was made. Waiters passed out paddles with numbers on them. To bid all one had to do was wave the paddle in the air.
 
Kagura thought her blood would congeal with old age and turn to dust before they got to the Josh Groban tickets. Sango kept patting her arm. “Patience, if you attack the auctioneer he won't be able to sell those tickets.”
 
The auctioneer, a short, rotund man with white hair, pulled his reading glasses to his nose and examined a note brought to him by a waiter.
 
“I regret to inform you that all back stage passes for the Groban event have been cancelled. So in this lot you will only be bidding on the tickets. They are four rows back from center stage. Remember the show is sold out.”
 
“Shit! The program lied!” hissed Kagura from between clenched teeth.
 
Kagome leaned across the table which was quite a feat because she was nearly sitting in Inuyasha's lap. “Still gonna bid?”
 
Kagura narrowed her eyes. “You bet your sweet Bippy.”
 
Sango frowned. “What the hell is a Bippy?”
 
Kagura answered, “To hell if I know but you can bet it!”
 
Sango smiled, “Okay then. Must be a rhetorical Bippy.”
 
Kagome laughed, “Those are the best kind.”
 
 
Bidding started at $100. A man in a giant white rabbit Harvey suit raised his paddle for $150. The Queen of Hearts did $200. Kagura tapped her foot waiting to see how high it would go. The Statue of Liberty and Henry the VIII drove it to $550. Abe Lincoln raised his paddle and it was $650.
 
Kagura swallowed. The tickets were way more popular than she'd imagined. The Jolly Green Giant upped the ante to $700. No one challenged him and the auctioneer banged his gavel.
 
“Going once!”
 
Kagura stood and waved her paddle and bumped it to $750. Jolly Green frowned and soon it was up to $800, then $850 and even higher still to $950.
 
Kagura bit her lip. The tickets would have sold for $500 on their own. There was no way she could justify pilfering her precious savings account for this. She closed her eyes and heard the auctioneer call, “$1000 going once!”
 
“Going twice!”
 
Bang! “Sold to Daddy War bucks!”
 
Kagura put her hand to her cheek and looked up in time to see a large bald man in a black tux with a fat unlit cigar between his teeth. He was embraced by his date who wore a red Little Orphan Annie wig. She squealed and he lifted her off the floor. Kagura dropped the paddle to the table.
 
“I think I am done for tonight.” She began looking for her purse.
 
Sango put her hand on Kagura's arm. “Don't be sad. You did the right thing. You couldn't spend that much on tickets to a ninety minute concert for Christ sakes.”
 
 
Kagura ran her hands down the kimono. “Yeah I guess you're right.” She hugged her friends goodbye and left to call a cab. Sesshomaru's absence was a curious blessing.
**********************************************************
 
Monday morning came hard and fast. Kagura sat at her computer.It was just Friday! It doesn't feel like two days have passed, I've been cheated by the time fairy somehow. She chewed on her pen cap while reviewing a mortgage application. Mr. Cook had well over a million dollars in equity, she was sure of it. His house was beach front property. But when the appraiser went out to the house he'd forgotten to include the two acres of beachfront property and just appraised the house. So here she was holding an appraisal report for $250,000 on a property easily worth three million. She tossed the report on the floor.
 
Goddamn it! What is wrong with those idiots down in the vendor appraisals?
 
She took a deep breath and hissed through her teeth. Kagura stood from her chair and stretched. Her back snapped and popped with her movement. Okay it's definitely Starbucks time.
 
Isabel, her assistant knocked on the door.
 
“What is it Iz?
 
She opened the door and slipped her head through. “I wish I knew Kagura. But there is something out here you have to see.”
 
Kagura walked to the door purposely stepping on the faulty appraisal report. The fragrance hit her before she ever left her office. Iz's large desk was obscured by a huge porcelain vase. It was filled with what could only be two dozen roses. The roses were a creative mix of white and rare `black' roses. The black was really just a dark indigo and they made a striking contrast to the white roses. A silk ribbon was weaved throughout the arrangement. Neither woman had ever seen anything like it.
 
Kagura whistled and said the first thing that came to mind. “Well Martha Stewart can eat her hat. This has her beat by a long shoot.”
 
“You should have seen the poor mailroom guy get these up here. He couldn't see over the flowers and apparently they weigh a ton.”
 
Kagura nodded. “I can see that.”
 
“So?”
 
“So what?”
 
Iz was exasperated. “The card? Aren't you going to read it?”
 
Kagura's hands found her hips. “I don't know if I should. I have a feeling these flowers are only going to lead to…trouble.” She turned around and went back to her office.
 
“Send `em back. There is no way I can live up the expectations of anyone who sends flower arrangements like that.”
 
Iz sighed. “Do I have to?”
 
“Yes! And get the appraisal vendor on the line. I am going to have his head on a platter.”
 
 
Ten minutes later Iz slowly opened the office door. Kagura glanced up. “Yes?'
 
Iz bit her lip. “The thing is…the florist won't take them back. You're stuck with them.”
 
Kagura stood. “Of course I am.” She raised her hands in the air. “Why should I be surprised, nothing is ever easy.”
 
She stood over the offending flowers and breathed in their intoxicating scent. “Okay only one thing to do.”
 
Iz leaned in the doorway. “What?”
 
“Ever seen the movie Bed of Roses?”
 
“Yeah didn't that have Meg Ryan in it?”
 
“I think so…” Kagura paced in front of Iz's desk.
 
Iz realized her intentions and yelled, “No! I can't let you put them down the break room garbage disposal. It'll break and Jerry won't realize it and we'll be smelling his tuna fish juice for a week.”
 
Kagura gritted her teeth. “Okay let's see the freaking card.”
 
Iz pushed it over her desk to Kagura. She pulled the envelope apart and found a simple yet elegant white card with Japanese Kanji characters. She opened the card and in simple English script read:
 
Kagura,
I've been invited to the concert on Friday and it would please me if you were to attend with me. The seats are good and Inuyasha assures me you are familiar with the soloist Groban. RVSP by tomorrow.
Sesshou
 
Kagura's jaw dropped, literally. “He's won and he knows it. There is now way I'd turn down this invitation.” She dropped the card on the desk and Iz retrieved it.
 
“Shit. He's really got your number.”
 
Kagura leaned against Iz's desk. “Yeah you can say that again.” Her eyes fell on the fat message pad.
 
“So Iz, has anyone called?”
 
Iz blushed. “Yeah well while you were hidden away in your inner sanctum there were a few messages.”
 
“Okay then hit me.”
 
Iz counted off on her red tipped manicured fingers. “A man named Naraku called and wanted to know if you were free for lunch on Wednesday.”
 
Kagura nodded. “Call him back and tell him yes. Next?”
 
“Miroku wants to see you for dinner.”
 
Kagura sighed. “Did you tell him I was dead like we practiced earlier?”
 
“I did but since we forgot we already used that one a few months ago, he was prepared and had the obituary page of the newspaper open.
 
“Damn. Well call and confirm it. I'll do it. It's time to set him straight before Molly thinks he's her new dad anyway.”
 
Iz smiled. “Done and done boss. Anything else?”
 
Kagura felt her hands shake with excitement. “Yeah can ya RSVP for Friday then get a magic wand up here and make it Friday now?”
 
**********************************************************
Notes:
Blitzkrieg Bop belongs to the Ramones who changed the face of rock and punk music. This chapter is dedicated to Joey Ramone who passed a few years ago and to Chris and Will who still mourn a manager and dear friend.
I think the image of Inuyasha head banging is hilarious. I laughed when I wrote it and am stilling laughing now. This isn't relevant to the story but still it was funny.
Everyone should listen to Josh, he's the best! I am sure he's a great guy who won't mind that I borrowed him. <Wink!>
And back by popular demand:
Mark Darcy: I don't think you're an idiot at all. I mean, there are elements of the ridiculous about you. Your mother's pretty interesting. And you really are an appallingly bad public speaker. And, um, you tend to let whatever's in your head come out of your mouth without much consideration of the consequences... But the thing is, um, what I'm trying to say, very inarticulately, is that, um, in fact, perhaps despite appearances, I like you, very much. Just as you are.