InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Sympathy for the Devil ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Chapter Seven: Sympathy for the Devil
 

       Kagura sat on her bed studying the familiar black dress hanging on her door.
 
The Masquerade Ball was in two hours and somehow she'd gotten so wrapped up in work once again it was the only thing she had that was clean. She bit her lip as she thought.
 
I have a doweling rod and some black construction paper. With a little bit of glitter glue and a ribbon then viola! Instant mask.
 
She lay down on her pillows and sighed as she thought back to Wednesday night. It's a shame Naraku isn't coming. Damn that Sesshomaru. She remembered what she'd said about the wind and sat up. I could go naked and bring a big fan then tell everyone I am the wind. There, it's a perfect solution. Or not.
 
Kagura groaned and threw herself back down on the pillows. Molly began barking and she knew someone must be in her driveway.She got up to investigate but the front door flew open before she had even a foot on the stairs. Kagome and Sango raced in slamming the door behind them. Kagura narrowed her eyes. Damn it! They have come armed with bags. Hell no!
 
She stepped off the stairs and tried to slip into the kitchen where she planned to make a quick exit out the back door.
 
Kagome spotted her and threw out her hand. “Stop right there. Where are you going?”
 
Kagura smiled innocently, “Me? I was going out to water my roses. It hasn't rained and I was just thinking how parched they must be.”
 
Sango dropped the shopping bags. “Can it sister and get over here.”
 
Kagura sighed and left the kitchen. They retreated to her room to study her costume. Sango frowned as her eyes lit on the black dress.
 
“Don't tell me. That is what you're wearing?”
 
 
Kagura took a defensive tone. “Pray tell, what is the matter with it?”
 
Kagome shook her head. “That isn't a costume. It's the same damned dress you've worn out to the last two parties we've gone to.”
 
Kagura raised a finger. “Last Saturday I went to Inuyasha's party in jeans and a sweater. So there.” She turned her head and stuck out her tongue.
 
“Only because you didn't plan on staying otherwise you would've worn that stupid old thing.” Kagome stomped her foot.
 
Sango added, “Admit it.”
 
Kagura sat on her bed tucking her legs under her body. “Okay, maybe…so what?”
 
Sango sighed, “Did you have any other ideas?”
 
Kagura grinned, “There was this one. I could go nude and just carry a big fan and be the wind.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened and Sango rolled hers. She put a hand on her hip and pointed at Kagura. “You are hopeless.”
 
Kagome pulled open a large white shopping bag. “But that's okay. We decided to dress here just in case you needed us; which you clearly do.”
 
Sango pulled out four outfits. One was a harem adult princess Jasmine costume. The second was Batgirl, the third was a white Marilyn Monroe dress and the fourth was an exquisite kimono. It was a white furisode kimono with a green collar and deep burgundy diamonds. It came compete with geta sandals and a woven belt.
 
There was no choice to be made. Kagura pointed. “I'll take the kimono.”
 
Kagome said, “I thought you might like the batgirl costume.”
 
Kagura checked out the short skirt and tight black bodice. “No thanks. I'll pass.” She picked up the kimono only to discover it was in several pieces. “How do you get this thing on?”
 
Sango took the kimono. “Strip down to your underwear and we'll wrap you in it.”
 
It took some finesse but soon they had Kagura wrapped tightly in the kimono. She put on the sandals and was surprised how much more comfortable they were than the heels she'd been planning on wearing. “What about my hair? It's not long enough to put up.”
 
Kagome pulled out a hair brush. “Leave that to me.” She pulled Kagura's hair up into a high pony tail and took a flat iron to her bangs so they lay flat against her forehead. She added a small white feather for `interest.' Kagura dusted on some pale powder on her face and applied lipstick.
 
“Here.” called Sango, “wear these.” She passed Kagura her jade ball earrings. Kagura slipped them on and stood in front to mirror waving a large Japanese fan.
 
“Wow. I look…so anime.” It was all she could say.
 
Kagome stood beside her. “No you look great!”
 
 
Sango nodded. “Now there remains only one unanswered question. “Who's going as Batgirl?”
 
*****************************************************< /div>
Their cab pulled up to a downtown upscale high raise apartment building. The girls climbed out and were met by a man in a tux taking tickets. He showed them to the elevator and with a turn of his key sent them straight to the pent house. The apartments were new and part of the reason for having the ball in the penthouse was to generate interest in buying into the building.
 
Kagura swallowed as her stomach churned with the speed of the elevator. I could never live here.
 
Kagome pulled down on the edges of her black Batgirl costume. Sango saw her mask wasn't straight. “Here let me fix that.”
 
“So,” she pulled on the little pointy bat ears. “Wanted ears to match your boyfriend huh?”
 
Kagome smirked, “Yeah ya got me what can I say? But I think he'll like it.” She looked down at her high heeled boots that came to her knees.
 
Sango laughed, “He'd have to be dead not to. I like these harem pants. Very comfy.” Her legs were encased in translucent puffy light blue pants. She wore a matching midriff baring vest.
 
Kagura reached out and tugged on Sango`s hair. “I can't believe we got your hair to do this.” It was pulled back and tied into loose knots that fell down her back. The look was completed with a matching tiara.
 
The elevator stopped and the doors opened to a large ballroom. The blonde wooden floor had a reflective shine. Large ceiling fans moved the air lazily about the room. Huge paintings of magnolia flowers hung on the walls. The room was done up in white and gold. Waiters in matching black suits with gold masks holding small trays whisked about the room offering champagne and hors d'oeuvres.
 
Kagura turned to her friends and hissed behind her hand. “Well we are definitely getting our money's worth.”
 
“Hush.” Kagome admonished as she began scanning the crowd like a hound. They didn't immediately see anyone they recognized so they decided to find the table they'd been assigned to.
 
Kagome was pulling out her chair when a pair of hands appeared in front of her face and covered her eyes.
 
“Guess who Batgirl?” The hands were warm and sensual against her skin.
 
She smiled. “Umm I just don't know. Koga?”
 
He growled and muttered something about “those goddamned wolves” and spun her around in his arms. She smiled and gave a little wave. “Oh it's you. Hello Inuyasha.”
 
He gave a low laugh, “As if you didn't know.”
 
“I love your gangster outfit and that hat. Are you supposed be Al Capone or Bugsy Siegel?”
 
“If I confess Batgirl, are you going to bring me in?” Then he tipped her back in his arms and kissed her.
 
Kagura and Sango looked away. Then Sango glanced back and they were still kissing and tongues appeared to be involved. She took Kagura's fan and smacked Inuyasha on the top of his hat. “Get a room you two! Sheesh.”
 
Inuyasha wagged his eyebrows then released Kagome whose cheeks were burning. Kagura turned and walked right into a male chest.
 
“Omph.” She tried to back up. “Please excuse me I am so sorry.” She tilted her head back and realized it was Sesshomaru. Oh great.
 
He was wearing a full white Daimyo (domain lord) ceremonial costume complete with daimon robe. The points of his long sleeves were red with white flowers and almost brushed the ground. He wore a blue belt wrap and a piece of spiked armor over his right arm and a long white fur boa wrap over his other arm. His silver hair flowed free down his back and his chin was turned down as he studied her intently. Her first thought before her mouth went dry was fluffy! She blushed.
 
“Wow that is some costume.” Then she noticed his right sleeve hung loose. “Where is your right arm?”
 
Sesshomaru moved his arm to show it hung outside the empty sleeve. “This is a reproduction of a ceremonial costume I have that belonged to the ancestor I was named for. He lost his arm and out of respect for him I leave the right sleeve empty.”
 
“Oh, it's amazing.” So he's not dressed up as some Yokai god after all. She felt his eyes on her as he took in her costume.
 
“Your outfit suites you, I like it.” Of course he likes it we almost freaking match!
 
Kagura felt her face get hot again and she started to say, “Well, I was going to come as the wind but…” and felt Sango's sharp elbow in her back. She winced and Sesshomaru put his hand under her chin tilting her face up to the light.
 
“Your eyes are the color of a good merlot.”
 
“Thank you…I think?”
 
He looked up. “Ah, it appears it's time for dinner. Allow me.”
 
Sesshomaru pulled out her chair and sat beside her. Kagura wanted to protest but didn't know how. She thought back on Naraku who stayed home when he should be here, with her.
 
But then she stole a glance at Sesshomaru and caught him watching her. He was an ass but he'd been nothing but generous. Outside at the lake house he even seemed concerned. Maybe she should take Naraku with a grain of salt for the time being. At least she knew better than let her emotions run away with the Taiyokai. He turned to her.
 
“Tonight you live up to your name. You are the living embodiment of music.”
 
Chalk one up to the haughty Taiyokai. Wait. What was she thinking? But then she doubted Naraku could be so poetic. All she could do was smile like an idiot.
 
Dinner was started with a soup course. The choice was miso or chicken broth and she chose miso. It was hard to eat with Sesshomaru watching her every bite. She had to concentrate to keep from spilling soup on her kimono.
 
The next course was a salad and she managed to make it through without any disasters. Kagura leaned forward and saw Kagome and Inuyasha talking with their heads close together. Sango was next to Koga who appeared to be dressed as Indiana Jones.
 
Kikyo strolled by, stopping to glare at Kagura. She wore a long black evening gown covered in black feathers. A small headdress of the same feathers perched atop her head.
 
“Oh hello Kagura and Kagome, I am so sorry about Wednesday but there was nothing to be done but wait for the tow truck.”
 
Inuyasha frowned flashing part of a white fang. “But Kikyo weren't you in Atlanta Wednesday?”
 
She nodded nonplussed. “Yes and the limo had a flat.”
 
Kagura shook her head. Whatever. “Forget about it Kikyo. By the way what are you?”
 
She flipped her hair and twirled. “I'm a black swan.”
 
“It figures,” muttered Kagura. She heard a soft noise and from the coroner of eye thought she saw Sesshomaru smiling. Did he just laugh?
 
Kikyo narrowed her eyes, “Don't forget Sesshomaru, you promised to save me a dance.” The she flounced off.
 
The waiters cleared away the salad and brought out platters of sushi. Damn! I love sushi but won't be able to gorge properly with him staring at me. Why did I let myself be conned into coming here?
 
Sesshomaru watched as Kagura picked up a set of chopsticks and used the thick end to lift a few rolls from the patter. He was impressed she not only knew how to use them but was also well versed in their etiquette.
 
Kagura felt obliged to make conversation. “So what did you do this week?”
 
He blotted his lips with his cloth napkin. “I started the outline of the mural I'm painting in my house and met with a client.”
 
“Oh.” He paints?
 
Sesshomaru nodded. “Yes I've a client who owns a newspaper. One of his best journalists is being held hostage in Iran. They claim they've never seen him but we're certain the Iranian government knows where he is being held.”
 
And just the other day she was drinking with a man who sold death but was friendly. Sesshomaru was rude but worked to save lives? Kagura took a drink of cold green tea. She wished for something harder but had temporarily sworn off alcohol. “So your specialty is international law?”
 
“Yes.” He plucked a crunchy roll from the platter and dipped in soy sauce.
 
“Couldn't the president help free this man?” Kagura didn't mean to be rude she was honestly curious.
 
Sesshomaru's face was expressionless but his tone overflowed with pride. “Who do you think referred the client to me?”
 
Kagura nearly dropped her chopsticks and sat staring at him. “You're serious aren't you?”
 
He nodded and gazed at her from under his lashes. Kagura's thoughts wandered towards his perfect lips and she fought to rein them in.
 
Inuyasha laughed and leaned across the table, rudely gesturing towards his half brother with the end of a chopstick. “One thing about him, he's always serious.”
 
Koga looked from his plate and asked, “Hey Mutt face. Are you going to bid at the charity auction later?”
 
“Maybe, to be honest I haven't had time to look over the list of items.” Inuyasha gave Kagome a pointed look leaving no doubts as to why he'd neglected the auction list.
 
Koga pulled out a program. “Let's see… there's a cruise, sky diving tickets, some antiques, some jewelry and look here.” He pointed with his claw tipped finger. “Front row tickets and back stage passes to a concert by some guy named Josh something…”
 
The spell was broken and Kagura stood holding out her hand. “May I see that please?”
 
He handed it to her.
 
“Oh my god, its tickets to the sold out Josh Groban show next week. Whoever wins will get to meet him too.” She dropped the program on the table and her eyes turned glassy.
 
Sango sat back and sighed, “Oh no. Here we go.”
 
Inuyasha asked, “What do you mean?”
 
Kagome answered without looking up from her rainbow roll. “She's obsessed with his music.”
 
Inuyasha nodded, “Well he is talented. We have some of his CDs back home.”
 
Sango said, “Maybe but she plays him at home all the time. At her last party I held her down while Kagome made a break for the stereo. Really, you have no idea.”
 
Kagura crossed her arms and rolled her eyes. “You're exaggerating.” She looked around the table and felt the total fool. She sat down and turned to Sesshomaru. He was staring off into the distance with a bored expression on his face.
 
Kagura huffed in silence. Oh well what did she expect?
 
Kagura Notes:
is a form of sacred Shinto music and dancing.
 

Jude: Just as you are? Not thinner? Not cleverer? Not with slightly bigger breasts or slightly smaller nose?
Bridget: No.
Shazzer: Well, fuck me.
Tom: This is someone you hate right?
Bridget: Yes, yes, I hate him.