InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Pride & Predjudice: A Sesshomaru Tale ❯ Sucker Punching Truth ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
Chapter 14
Sucker Punching Truth
 

Kagura held the letter in her right hand as she read it for the third time. Unconsciously she reached behind her and picked up the phone and dialed Kagome's number by memory. The phone rang twice then she pressed cancel and ended the call. I can't tell her about this, at least not yet.
       

        She leaned against the wall and contemplated the surreal nature of her world. I'm being ridiculous. First things first. Kagura opened her laptop and logged online. It took a few minutes then she heard the tell tale boink!
       
        Kagura wiggled her fingers over the keyboard then bent down and typed in the address to S.L.E.D. (SC Law Enforcement Division). The website popped up showing pictures of the state's most wanted. She ran her finger down the side of the screen and found the link to the sex offender's registry. She found she could search by zip code, county, city or name. Well how many people in the south can share the name Naraku?  
 

        The hourglasses popped up and flashed for a moment then the page refreshed. It listed the offender's name, date of birth, gender, race and address. The small black and white type did not lie.

Daisaki, Naraku.   03/17/1974  M. W.  Charleston SC 29041, 526 Wind Mill TRC apt58K. COMMITTING LEWD ACT UPON CHILD UNDER 16, 2 counts in the first degree.
       
 
        Kagura's hand shook as she clicked on the link beside the listing. A large picture flashed onto her screen. It was Naraku. He was frowning and wearing a bight orange jump suit. His arms were handcuffed in front of him. He was staring at the floor and his hair hung about his shoulders in a tangled mess. It was dated 06/15/2002.

 
        It was all true. She squeezed the mouse and heard the plastic give a cracking noise.  He was here, alone with Kanna at least twice maybe more. Oh Kanna…
 
 
 
        But Kanna's opinion of Naraku had never wavered. She was sensitive and often shut herself away from the world. Had he upset her Kagura would've seen a dark change of some kind.
 
Though, she isn't a child anymore…so maybe she would have appreciated his attentions. This was possible but unlikely. Kanna was fiercely loyal to Kagura and would view an advance from Naraku as a betrayal.
               
        Kagura stood and walked up stairs to Kanna's room. She paused at the door. I've never invaded her privacy before, not even when she was so depressed. The picture of Naraku in his orange jumpsuit flashed in her mind and she put her hand on the door knob and pushed it open.
       
        Kanna's room was a typical teenager's mess. Even though she lived at school now her room was still a disaster. Clothing hung over the furniture and a half empty can of diet coke stood on the night stand. Empty CD jewel cases were flung everywhere. Text books were piled in the corner and papers were strewn over every inch of the floor. Humph, maybe I should come in here more often.
       
 
        Kagura bent down and gathered the papers and stacked them in a neat pile. She sat on Kanna's unmade bed and flipped through them.

 
        Most were paperwork and fliers from USC. There were a couple of poems. Kagura read them and found nothing unusual. Kanna had written a great deal about the sea turtles she was now visiting.  She held up a sketch of Molly the dog. It was very well done and the dog's best pitiful begging expression reached out of the paper. There were various cartoons of Kanna's college friends and some of her immediate circle in Charlotte. One was of Miroku. He had a big sweat drop and was lying face down in the dirt as cartoon Kagura and Sango pounded him with shovels. Kagura laughed and raised a brow. Guess I should lay off the shovel beating threats for a while.

        Nothing was out of the ordinary. Kagura pulled out Kanna's blue portfolio folder and out fell her latest sketches. The first was of Naraku. It was so detailed and careful he must have posed for it. He was standing by her garden gate and his hair moved in the passing wind. Kagura clutched the paper so tightly her knuckles turned white and blind fury formed behind her eyes.
       
        Kagura took a deep breath. Okay, don't overreact. Has Kanna ever given me reason to doubt her? No. She tapped her feet on the floor as she contemplated calling the Sea Turtle retreat just to speak with Kanna. I can't do that, God knows what time it is there and it'll freak her out.

        She bit her bottom lip and gazed out on Kanna's pile of cell phone bills by the closet. Bingo.

        Kagura had the bill on auto payment from her checking account. She never looked at the paper bill unless it exceeded $50 which was rare. Kanna loved her little razor phone and was very careful to mind her minutes so that Kagura wouldn't revoke it. She unfolded the most recent bill and scanned the list of out going and in coming calls. If he's been messing with my baby sis then this will be the fastest way to find out. She lives by that stupid phone.
       
        Rows and rows of calls filled two pages of the bill. Kagura's eyes stopped on every line that started with the Charlotte area code of 704. She went through all the numbers and not one of them belonged to Naraku. Kanna had called Kagome ten times and Sango eight but Naraku's number was thankfully absent.

        Well she's gone for the summer and well out of his reach. So I don't have to worry about her. Relief flooded her senses and Kagura fell back onto Kanna's oversized pillows. Now what to do about me?
       
        She wiped the rough sleeve of her shirt over her mouth. I kissed him that is so nasty. Kagura's mind examined every embrace, touch and caress that had passed between them. Ugh, I am going to take the world's longest hot shower.
       
        Just think, I fussat Kagome because she is always the last to know her boyfriend is a scum bag. Guess I'm not any better. Poor Kagome, I wonder if Inuyasha cares enough about her to break free from his controlling brother's grasp?
       
        Kikyo set me up. She knew about Naraku and staged a meeting. I guess she hoped to help me fall flat on my face with Sesshomaru. Too bad she never bothered to consider that I don'teven like him. Apparently I have horribly underestimated just how big a fruit loop she really is.
 
 
Shit! I promised Naraku I'd met him at Carrabbas. This meant confrontation would take place sooner as opposed to later. Oh well no big, it's better to get it over and done with anyway.
 
 
 
Kagura turned her head and stared at the purple phone on Kanna's bedside table. The bright innocent cordless phone turned into a dark thing of dread. Kagura rolled back over and lay on her back looking up at the popcorn ceiling. She reached out and wrapped her fingers around the base of the receiver. Her finger pressed speed dial 4 and she could hear the phone ring through on the other side of the receiver.
 
 
“Hello?” Naraku's voice came from the headset. Kagura opened her mouth and nothing came out. She pressed the cancel button.
 
Freaking hell, she was going to have to do this in person.
 
WXWXWXWXWXWWXWXWXWXWXWXWWXWXWXW
 
Kagura pressed on the heavy wooden door and it was opened from the inside by a hostess. She nearly stumbled but caught herself at the last moment. The girl studied her trying to determine if she'd been drinking.
 
 
“Can I help you Mam?” she asked frowning.
 
 
Mam? To hell with that, I'm not THAT old! Kagura plastered a false smile on her lips. “Yes I am meeting a friend here. He has long brown hair.” She gestured to her mid back and the girl nodded.
 
 
“Yes I remember him. Right this way please.”
 
 
Kagura stood behind the table watching Naraku survey the menu. He hadn't seen her yet and if she was of a mind to, she could still leave. Instead she stood up straight then strode to the dark, candle lit and seemingly sinister table with purposeful strides. She pulled out a chair and sat on the very edge of the seat just in case she needed to make a quick exit. Naraku smiled warmly as she folded her hands and set then on the table.
 
 
Their waiter spotted her and made an instant bee line for the table.
 
 
“Can I get you a drink?”
 
 
Naraku nodded, “Yes a bottle of the house white wine please.”
 
 
Kagura shook her head. “None for me thanks.”
 
The waiter cocked his head and paused his pen over the notepad. “Water then?”
 
Kagura gritted her teeth. “Yes water will be fine.”
 
He left and she was alone with Naraku. He studied her and she wasn't able to bring herself to meet his gaze.
 
“Kagura, is something wrong?” He reached for her hand but she moved it under the table.
 
That is the understatement of the year. You're a monster in disguise and I had to hear from that pompous ass of a dog demon!
 
She swallowed. “Yes, I'm afraid there is.”
 
 
His concern was genuine. “Please, what is it?”
 
 
Kagura raised her chin and met his gaze. In her head she chanted her old nonsensical mantra that she used to get through rough situations. Damnit I am the wind and he cannot touch me. I am the essence of the air and powerful enough to face anything or anyone. “I saw you on the list of convicted registered sex offenders.”
 
 
He looked away but he didn't seem surprised. This bothered Kagura. I wish he appeared worried or shocked. I'd feel better if he were upset.
 
 
“Yeah well those things are nothing more than modern day witch hunts. It was a big disagreement and in the end it was my word against hers. Nothing happened, it was a set up.”
 
 
He dropped his fist onto the table top and heads swiveled around to see the sourced of the pounding. Kagura hung her head and whispered. “Weren't you going to tell me? It's a major secret.”
 
 
“Why? It's not true and it would have only colored your opinion of me.”
 
 
Kagura sighed, “I know about Rin no Inu.”
 
 
His eyes burned with an anger that pushed Kagura to the hard back of her seat. She was grateful they were in a crowded restaurant. “I owe this little revelation to that damned bastard Sesshomaru don't I? Has he paid you a little visit?”
 
 
The water arrived and Kagura stirred the straw in the cold glass. “It doesn't matter how I found out.”
 
 
“Oh but I think it does. He's been hounding for you since before we met and now he thinks he's found a way to spoil yet another opportunity for me.”
 
 
A winkle formed across Kagura's forehead. “I am not an opportunity or a fortune to be won or lost. This isn't even relevant to my question. The main point here is did you or didn't you try to run off with a fifteen year old girl?”
 
Naraku said nothing. Kagura stood and put on her best loan declining tone. “Stay away from my family and friends. Never come near me again.”
 
 
Naraku snapped, “God, don't you think you are overreacting? Sit down Kagura you're making a scene!”
 
 
He reached for her and caught her thin wrist in his meaty hand. Kagura's eyes went wide and she pulled back. Naraku lost his center of gravity and fell forward on the table landing face first in the cold water that poured from the over turned glass.
 
 
He raised his face to look at her. Water dripped from his hair, nose and eyebrows. For a moment he resembled an angry baboon. “So this is it huh? Held out on me for two months and you're gonna trot over there and become his bitch. Tell me Kagura, will you tease him too or has he already had his fun?”
 
 
She reached to the table behind her and picked up a glass of cold sweet tea. Kagura flung it at him and the sticky brown tea covered his freshly pressed white shirt. She nodded to the couple whose tea she'd stolen then looked back at Naraku.
 
 
“I think that about sums it all up. And don't be mistaken I do not need the Inu taiyokai to fight my battles.” She turned on her heel and stormed towards the nearest exit.
 
 
 
Kagura's tires squealed as she pulled out of Carrabba's parking lot. She blasted her music and yelled along with Godsmack attempting to release some of her anger before she hit I-85 and got a speeding ticket for doing 90 in a 65 speed limit zone.
 
Yeah! Do like I told you! Stay away from me!
 
Never misunderstand me, keep away from me!
 
Twisting everything around that you say.
 
….Find out what it means to me, I don't know who you are.
 

She made it home safely and miraculously without a speeding ticket. Kagura threw open her front door and grabbed the phone. She dialed her sales leader Darryl. He answered the phone in a cheery voice.
 
 
“Hey Kagura, let me guess. You are having a party and are calling to let me know. I'm already there and dancing on the bar!”
 
 
Kagura smiled. God bless him. “Remember that talk we had about how I have too many vacation days to roll over at the end of the year and if I didn't use `em I'd loose them.”
 
 
He sighed in deep disappointment. No party for Darryl tonight, not that his wife would've let him go anyway. “Yup, it's a Human Resources thing. You see they have this crazy notion that vacations are healthy and good for you.”
 
 
She took a deep breath. “Well I think I am going to take a few weeks off and go somewhere.”
 
 
“Sounds good but you have all those yokai clients now. How am I going to explain to a guy with three inch fangs and poison claws his personal banker and financial specialist is out on a beach somewhere?”
 
 
Kagura lips formed a tight smile. “Easy, just tell them my family needed me. Then help them as best you can until I get back.” Family is something the yokai understood.
 
 
There was a dramatic pause on Darryl's side of the phone. “Are you sure Mr. Burikutonu won't…eat me?”
 
 
Kagura laughed, “Only if you happen to fall into a vat of gourmet teriyaki sauce on your way to the meeting.”
 
 
He sounded honestly relieved. “Good, good. Now what ever you do don't forget to take your cell phone just in case. And buy me some really cheesy-assed souvenir. I want the whole office to be very jealous.”
 
Kagura balanced the phone on her shoulder as she pulled a suitcase from her closet and tossed it onto her bed. “Consider it done Darryl!”
XWXWXWXWWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWXWX
 
Notes:
She grew absolutely ashamed of herself. -- Of neither Darcy nor Wickham could she think, without feeling that she had been blind, partial, prejudiced, absurd.”…Pride and Prejudice J. Austin
 
Bridget: “Thank you, Daniel, that is very good to know. But if staying here means working within 10 yards of you, frankly, I'd rather have a job wiping Saddam Hussein's arse.”… Bridget Jones's Diary… 2001